Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
~Tea~ Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... 37 38 39 40 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

saint dreya
Crew

8,750 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:59 am
Tea, what temperature should different teas be at to steep effectively? and tsaines? how long should they steep?

have you had experience with the flowering tea balls?

what source would you recommend to get more, quality teas?  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:06 pm
saint dreya
Tea, what temperature should different teas be at to steep effectively?
White 120-125F. Green - 140-150F. Blue-Green/Oolong 150-155F. Blacks 160-180F- each for about thirty seconds.
The strength of the tea should never hinge on temperature or time, it's about the quantity of the leaf in the infusion.
Quote:

and tsaines?
Depends on the tsaine. To be honest- I'm not nearly as familiar with them outside of one specific drink I like and a handful of medicinal recipes.
Quote:

have you had experience with the flowering tea balls?
Big fan of them myself, but I like to use them to make a whole pot at a time, and part f what makes them cool is being able to see the flower- so clear infusion chambers are a must.

Quote:
I stick to tea shops within an hours drive from where I live. I can sample what they have- and as a specialty store, I know their stock is rotating faster than if it was the box isle in a major grocery store.  

TeaDidikai

saint dreya
Crew

8,750 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:39 pm
*bookmarks, copies, attempts to remember, pushes face to computer to absorb ala osmosis*

thank you über mucho!  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:19 pm
TeaDidikai
saint dreya
Tea, what temperature should different teas be at to steep effectively?
White 120-125F. Green - 140-150F. Blue-Green/Oolong 150-155F. Blacks 160-180F- each for about thirty seconds.
The strength of the tea should never hinge on temperature or time, it's about the quantity of the leaf in the infusion.
Thirty seconds?! eek

So, um, would that be why whenever I make green tea it's always really bitter and hard to drink?

Quote:

I'm a fan of Teavana, personally, and The Tao of Tea, and I've also heard good things about The Tea Table.

Quote:
I stick to tea shops within an hours drive from where I live. I can sample what they have- and as a specialty store, I know their stock is rotating faster than if it was the box isle in a major grocery store.

I wish there were tea shops in my area. There's supposedly a coffee shop near my campus with a limited selection of loose-leaf tea, but I've never been. Should really go and check it out.  

Calixti

Diamond Leaf Clover

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:43 am
TeaDidikai
Diamond Leaf Clover
TeaDidikai
Diamond Leaf Clover

Argh, sorry, my description sucks. I had a quick look just then, and the powder is like you said, bright green. I haven't had it for very long at all-I bought it about a week ago.
How hot is the water you are using?

The jar says to use water that's between 80-90 degrees Celsius, but because my kettle only has certain temperatures it can heat to, I'm using 85.
HOSHIT!
No wonder it's bitter. It's being scorched. Try 55 degrees Celsius.

My kettle's lowest setting is 60 degrees! gonk
Maybe that's why matcha tastes bitter. Our teachers only use close to boiling water to make the tea at sadoubu. We eat okashi beforehand to offset the bitterness, maybe that's why they use really hot water? confused Hmmm....I wonder if 60 degrees will be okay. I'll have to try using that instead and see if it works better.

Thank you for letting me know, Tea! blaugh  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:05 am
The Indubitable Katie-Kat
Thirty seconds?! eek

So, um, would that be why whenever I make green tea it's always really bitter and hard to drink?
Could be. Could also be the quality of the tea, the age of it etc... but try brewing it cooler and for a shorter period of time.

Quote:

I wish there were tea shops in my area. There's supposedly a coffee shop near my campus with a limited selection of loose-leaf tea, but I've never been. Should really go and check it out.
Most coffee shops I know of carry sub-quality tea.

Dimond>> Heat it to 60 degrees and then let it cool for a few minutes.  

TeaDidikai

patch99329

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:49 am
Yayayay!!!

I went to Stratford today, and saw a little sign advertising tea! So, I followed the sign only to find a brilliant little tea shop called Benson's house of tea, which sells over 80 varieties of loose leaf tea, for very reasonable prices!

I bought myself some Russian caravan, English breakfast and (the most AMAZING smelling) masala chai. There was a buy three get one free deal...so I also bought some bancha. ninja
I have never tried it before, but ms.Tea always seems so exited about it that curiosity got the better of me and I bought a 50g bag. If anyone has any serving suggestions, i'd like to hear them!

This is my best shopping find in a while, the lady in the shop was happy to talk to me about tea for a long time, and gave me some leaflets too. ^_^

*sips tea happily*  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:56 am
patch99329

I have never tried it before, but ms.Tea always seems so exited about it
It's a pain in the a** to get here. If you like savory things, you'll likely enjoy it.
Quote:

that curiosity got the better of me and I bought a 50g bag. If anyone has any serving suggestions, i'd like to hear them!
Start off by drinking it straight. Good Bancha tastes a little like something between a nice grassy green and a stock.

I use it a lot to cook with. Any savory dish that requires water can almost always have bancha added into it instead to give it a more complex flavor.

Quote:
This is my best shopping find in a while, the lady in the shop was happy to talk to me about tea for a long time, and gave me some leaflets too. ^_^

*sips tea happily*
Fun fun.

I also need to update the Spirituali-tea thread. sweatdrop  

TeaDidikai

patch99329

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:55 pm
It was very nice! whee

Not as bitter as other greens but stronger in flavour, and the grassy/stocky description really fits!  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:50 pm
patch99329
It was very nice! whee

Not as bitter as other greens but stronger in flavour, and the grassy/stocky description really fits!
3nodding

So brewing a batch up, roasting some veggies in the oven then slipping them into a stock pot with the bancha and heating it to mingle the flavors = heart  

TeaDidikai

MoonJeli

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:00 pm
Calixti
saint dreya

I'm a fan of Teavana, personally, and The Tao of Tea, and I've also heard good things about The Tea Table.

I'm a huge Tao of Tea fan. I order buckets of tea from them and eat at their tea house whenever I have a chance.

One of my favorites right now is Tippy South Cloud.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:44 pm
MoonJeli
Calixti
saint dreya

I'm a huge Tao of Tea fan. I order buckets of tea from them and eat at their tea house whenever I have a chance.

One of my favorites right now is Tippy South Cloud.
I really need to go there some time.  

TeaDidikai

Celeblin Galadeneryn

Beloved Romantic

15,800 Points
  • Potion Disaster 50
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:21 pm
DAMMIT! IT"S THE OTHER STRATFORD.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:36 pm
Celeblin Galadeneryn
Meh. You still need to come and visit me. I'll take you to Post Ally Tea.  

TeaDidikai

Celeblin Galadeneryn

Beloved Romantic

15,800 Points
  • Potion Disaster 50
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:42 pm
TeaDidikai
Celeblin Galadeneryn
Meh. You still need to come and visit me. I'll take you to Post Ally Tea.
Stupid Ontario having a Stratford Upon Avon as well stare  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... 37 38 39 40 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games