Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
In a bad mood? come here and rant till you feel better Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 157 158 159 160 161 162 ... 292 293 294 295 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

will you sticky this? (for Nuri only)
  Yes
  NO
  who are you?
View Results

Shearaha

Aged Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:10 am

maenad nuri
also keep this in mind -- just because you purchased it on Friday doesn't mean the purchase was settled on Friday. If you made it with a check card, it goes through a settlement processes. You can see this most readily with gas purchases. The pump charges $1, holds as much as they can (I saw a costco doing an authorization hold of $100 for a $17.

So that $1 is what shows up in your pending until both, say Visa, who underwrites your check card and the vendor agree and settle for the $17.

So yeah, keep a register. Don't run your debit as a credit, run it only with your pin. Electronic registers aren't automatic, we still have to wait for settlement, clearing, etc.

That's what's really bothering me. We DO keep a register. We write down every purchase as soon as we make it. And I know about the gas pump thing, but I subtract the full ammount. If I'm subtracting my purchases, and the math is right, how am I supposed to know when it's coming out? My biggest issue is that they seam to expect me to "magically" know when every purchase is going to leave. And then just keep giving me this rote answer of "the biggest transaction leaves first" I get that, but really how am I supposed to keep my account balanced when I'm subtracting and adding as I make withdrawls and deposits and they're not reflecting it until days later after I make a big purchase? This is becoming a regular occurance. And this past weekend they're telling me that the paycheck I deposited on Saturday really doesn't count until Tuesday when I've made paycheck deposits on Saturday and gone and spent it with no issues for almost a year. At this point we've pretty much decided that hubby's check isn't even going to the bank at all, we're just gonna cash it and leave it at that.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:28 am

Shearaha
maenad nuri
also keep this in mind -- just because you purchased it on Friday doesn't mean the purchase was settled on Friday. If you made it with a check card, it goes through a settlement processes. You can see this most readily with gas purchases. The pump charges $1, holds as much as they can (I saw a costco doing an authorization hold of $100 for a $17.

So that $1 is what shows up in your pending until both, say Visa, who underwrites your check card and the vendor agree and settle for the $17.

So yeah, keep a register. Don't run your debit as a credit, run it only with your pin. Electronic registers aren't automatic, we still have to wait for settlement, clearing, etc.

That's what's really bothering me. We DO keep a register. We write down every purchase as soon as we make it. And I know about the gas pump thing, but I subtract the full ammount. If I'm subtracting my purchases, and the math is right, how am I supposed to know when it's coming out? My biggest issue is that they seam to expect me to "magically" know when every purchase is going to leave. And then just keep giving me this rote answer of "the biggest transaction leaves first" I get that, but really how am I supposed to keep my account balanced when I'm subtracting and adding as I make withdrawls and deposits and they're not reflecting it until days later after I make a big purchase? This is becoming a regular occurance. And this past weekend they're telling me that the paycheck I deposited on Saturday really doesn't count until Tuesday when I've made paycheck deposits on Saturday and gone and spent it with no issues for almost a year. At this point we've pretty much decided that hubby's check isn't even going to the bank at all, we're just gonna cash it and leave it at that.

Check your funds availability policy, because I wouldn't bank with policies like that. With our bank, that deposit would come in most likely on Monday, not Tuesday (business days).

Switch banks. It sucks, but this doesn't seem worth it.

maenad nuri
Captain

Shearaha

Aged Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:24 am

maenad nuri
Shearaha
maenad nuri

Check your funds availability policy, because I wouldn't bank with policies like that. With our bank, that deposit would come in most likely on Monday, not Tuesday (business days).

Switch banks. It sucks, but this doesn't seem worth it.

I was really upset, because if they have changed their policy then they should at least let their customers know in advance of the change. I think we're gonna try with them for a little longer, I was really happy with this bank until the last 6-8 months. This last month has been particularly rough, if it weren't for the fact that I have to have my check direct deposited I think we would just stop using them all together.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:47 am

I....I'm too nice?

TOO NICE?

TOO ******** NICE?!?!

What the flying ******** are they giving people to smoke these days, and where the hell can I get some?

Cyrus the Elder

6,650 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Elocutionist 200

Aino Ailill

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:05 am

Cyrus the Elder
I....I'm too nice?

TOO NICE?

TOO ******** NICE?!?!

What the flying ******** are they giving people to smoke these days, and where the hell can I get some?

'Cause of the coffee. It was obvious. rofl
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:47 pm

maenad nuri
Aino Ailill
maenad nuri
Don't run your debit as a credit, run it only with your pin. Electronic registers aren't automatic, we still have to wait for settlement, clearing, etc.
Why run it only with pin? What is the difference?

PIN runs it solely like a debit -- straight from your bank account. Running it as a "credit" means it goes through VISA, MC, whoever underwrites it, and will allow you to take more than the amount in your account out and overdraft, incurring fees.

My bank told me to run it as credit, otherwise they charge a fee as if I'd used a not-my-bank ATM.

Cyrus the Elder
I....I'm too nice?

TOO NICE?

TOO ******** NICE?!?!

...wow.

Nines19

maenad nuri
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:58 pm

Quote:

My bank told me to run it as credit, otherwise they charge a fee as if I'd used a not-my-bank ATM.

Depends on the bank. The one I use doesn't charge a fee, and the one I work at really doesn't (they even refund other banks ATM fees).

Credit charges the merchant, debit hoists it upon the bank.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:27 pm

Banks are financial institutions, they are profit driven. However, they are tightly bound by federal, state, and local laws, thus they often must use what is sometimes called legalese to serve their true purpose, which is to make money. as printing their own money is vastly illegal, they are reliant on the older than money method of gaining, making what is someone else's theirs. They exist to make money, specifically to make your money, their money. When you keep this in mind while you judiciously consider the bank's by-laws, statutes and fine print, while maintaining all pertinent legal restrictions in the fore of your thoughts, you may find a way to at least break mostly even. However, expect to put much effort into it. That banks have managed to make themselves so indispensable to our modern society troubles me on vast levels. Then again, realizing I am awake is fairly troubling for me, as well.

Fiddlers Green

Recursive Paradox

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:57 pm

Fiddlers Green

Poe, one more question then, before I start ratcheting around with your response... Do you observe The Internet, Gaia, and/or this Forum to have their own distinct cultural identities?
I am glad I can provide you with a bit of mental exercise. 3nodding

The internet certainly does, Gaia is slowly working it's way towards one. This forum is more a blend of many different cultures together (because of all the cultures that are in this guild) so it's hard to really pinpoint any distinct overall culture for the guild.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:58 pm

Cyrus the Elder
I....I'm too nice?

TOO NICE?

TOO ******** NICE?!?!

...wat?

Recursive Paradox

Fiddlers Green

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:14 pm

Recursive Paradox
The internet certainly does, Gaia is slowly working it's way towards one. This forum is more a blend of many different cultures together (because of all the cultures that are in this guild) so it's hard to really pinpoint any distinct overall culture for the guild.

To clarify... has the internet reached the level where applying our own cultural standards to it would be culturocentricism?
You can see where this is going, of course, but I wish to gain further knowledge of the conditions for something being it's own valid culture and how it must interface with other cultures in this paradigm.
I'm trying to establish the givens of cultural validity.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:24 pm

Yes, I can be a jackass. And honestly, I don't like you. We're only "friends" because we have multitudes of friends between us. stare

EDIT: rolleyes

I just posted "take a train instead idiot". I didn't insult anything else. I could've insulted your ugly, planet killing car. I could've insulted what music you listen to. Yes, I was being a bit rude, but this group of friends is "rude" to each other all the time.

Apparently a small comment like that means you get to post what a "f** you are" all over my Facebook wall. And that you get to use a friend's account to get at me through messaging, even though I wasn't really planning on blocking or deleting you. ********. stressed

Wrath of Ezekiel

5,350 Points
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

Fiddlers Green

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:55 am

Wow that's petty.
I mean, seriously, do people really have nothing better to do?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:57 am

Fiddlers Green
Wow that's petty.
I mean, seriously, do people really have nothing better to do?

Most of the time, no.

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

Fiddlers Green

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:59 am

CuAnnan
Most of the time, no.

What insignificant, sad lives they must lead. Is that what it feels like to be an extra in an ensemble cast show?
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 157 158 159 160 161 162 ... 292 293 294 295 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games