Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Worst Things You Can Ever Say As A Pagan Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 150 151 152 153 154 155 ... 227 228 229 230 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Bastemhet

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:01 pm
TeaDidikai
This is less of "what they say" and more of an action that is tied to words.

When people take the names of gods- usernames, legally change their names or the like, and they completely fail to either understand the deities in question or fail to meet the obligations such a name carries in service, they commit culture rape at best, defile the sacredness of the name at worst.

Cannot agree more, especially with the heightened Kemetic sense of names and their divine importance. The only time I see it alright to have deity in names is if it talks about someone's relationship to that deity, e.g. Thutmose, which means son of Thoth. Even then I sincerely hope they have an established relationship with that deity so as not to offend said deity.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:08 pm
Sophist
Cannot agree more, especially with the heightened Kemetic sense of names and their divine importance. The only time I see it alright to have deity in names is if it talks about someone's relationship to that deity, e.g. Thutmose, which means son of Thoth. Even then I sincerely hope they have an established relationship with that deity so as not to offend said deity.
I can understand what it is like to be saddled with a name from birth. (I got a double helping myself. sweatdrop ) And I'm not a fan of parents doing this to their kids, but I hold that it's a special kind of insult when as an individual, you willfully violate the names.  

TeaDidikai

Aino Ailill

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:11 pm
Would this extend to such names as 'Valkyrie.'  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:13 pm
This horrified me. It was in a thread on how others react to and treat you for being Pagan, and it devolved into how ebil parents are for asking their kid(s) to go to church....

Quote:
I think the worst part is that he actually tries to guilt trip me into going to church with him. As it's getting closer to Winter now, his physical fitness will decline badly (he's got arthritis and has had a couple of mini strokes). So this was the talk last week:

Dad: Are you coming to church with me next week, E----?
Me: No dad, I am not.
Dad: But I need you to take me. I can't walk there on my own. I'll have to stay home and not get to go to church.
Me: Dad, you have mum to walk with you. You also have plenty of friends at church who would immediately offer to drive you if you asked them. But you are too stubborn to ask for help. I cannot and will not go to church as it is not my belief. I will walk you, but I am not stepping foot inside the church and staying for services.
Dad: But I need somebody with me.
Me: Don't you always sit with B---- and A----- who always look after you when they're with you?
Dad: Yeah but...well only A----- will be there. B-----'s still in hospital.
Me: Ah, A----- will be there then. Then it's settled! *puts headphones in to drown him out*

I don't know whether to cry or rage.  

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50

Gho the Girl

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:41 pm
Violet Song jat Shariff
This horrified me. It was in a thread on how others react to and treat you for being Pagan, and it devolved into how ebil parents are for asking their kid(s) to go to church....

Quote:
I think the worst part is that he actually tries to guilt trip me into going to church with him. As it's getting closer to Winter now, his physical fitness will decline badly (he's got arthritis and has had a couple of mini strokes). So this was the talk last week:

Dad: But I need you to take me. I can't walk there on my own. I'll have to stay home and not get to go to church.
Me: Dad, you have mum to walk with you. You also have plenty of friends at church who would immediately offer to drive you if you asked them. But you are too stubborn to ask for help. I cannot and will not go to church as it is not my belief. I will walk you, but I am not stepping foot inside the church and staying for services.
Me: Don't you always sit with B---- and A----- who always look after you when they're with you?
Me: Ah, A----- will be there then. Then it's settled! *puts headphones in to drown him out*

Holy ******** feel like crying personally.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:46 pm
Violet Song jat Shariff

Quote:

The phrase "curb stomp" comes to mind.

I apologise for the horribly violent gesture but.... you just don't ******** disrespect your apparently disabled father that way. ******** walk him to church and shut your whining mouth up. This, as you can see, pushes my buttons to the extreme.  

Celeblin Galadeneryn

Beloved Romantic

15,800 Points
  • Potion Disaster 50
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:09 pm
Celeblin Galadeneryn
Violet Song jat Shariff

Quote:

I apologise for the horribly violent gesture but.... you just don't ******** disrespect your apparently disabled father that way. ******** walk him to church and shut your whining mouth up. This, as you can see, pushes my buttons to the extreme.

No I agree; that image fairly sums up the amount of rage I felt when I read that.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:59 am
Violet Song jat Shariff
Celeblin Galadeneryn
Violet Song jat Shariff

Quote:

No I agree; that image fairly sums up the amount of rage I felt when I read that.

...why? According to the information presented, the mother is willing and able to walk with the father. If going into a church so offends the person, and if there are other options available that do not require the assistance of that person, than why ought that person be obligated to offer assistance?  

Aino Ailill

Recursive Paradox

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:16 am
Aino Ailill
Violet Song jat Shariff
Celeblin Galadeneryn
Violet Song jat Shariff

Quote:

...why? According to the information presented, the mother is willing and able to walk with the father. If going into a church so offends the person, and if there are other options available that do not require the assistance of that person, than why ought that person be obligated to offer assistance?

Because people with disabilities are often shunted aside for a variety of reasons over and over (usually due to ableism), so even when the reasons may be valid, they still hurt like a b***h and add to that awfulness that PWD deal with every day.

The son is able bodied and his privilege allows him to not go with someone to places. He's able to leave and not feel that pain. His father has no choice. It's a complete privileged person empathy fail.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:45 am
Aino Ailill
Violet Song jat Shariff
Celeblin Galadeneryn
Violet Song jat Shariff

Quote:

Alright I'll try to make this as coherent as possible; it's quite early in the morning where I am at and I haven't been to bed yet xd

First off, I fail to see how the father asking his daughter to accompany him to church and back home is "guilt tripping." He makes no request that she takes the sermon to heart, no demand that she actively participate. To say that his request to help him to and from is a "guilt trip" feels like she is making a mountain out of a mole-hill.

Also from the exchange, from the daughter I feel it is implied: "My spiritual needs and wants are foremost important - ******** your spiritual needs on the sole basis that I think mine are in disagreement with yours!" And I find this at the very least mildly frustrating because as she thinks she is in the right at present by holding this sentiment, should the tables be turned she'd be rolling out the persekyooshun red carpet. I am beginning to really despise this stance of some Pagans - the whole acting like entering a church will somehow make them less of a Pagan or "pollute" them with Christianity.

To more specifically address your point - it was mentioned in the exchange that one of the people her father sits with is not present because s/he is hospitalized. Perhaps her father really does need 2 people to sit with him during church. Perhaps he just enjoys his daughter's company and wants to spend some time with her outside of the house and the walk to and from would give them a wonderful chance to talk. Perhaps the father doesn't trust anyone as much as he trusts the daughter in keeping an eye on him. I mean, by the sounds of it, the father could fall victim to serious injury or even death at any moment and it just appalls me that he is shut out on a simple request in such a snide, condescending manner by his own daughter.

I hope I covered everything that I had in mind.... sweatdrop .  

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50

rmcdra

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:01 am
Gho the Girl
Violet Song jat Shariff

Quote:

Holy ******** feel like crying personally.
Same here. That's down right cold.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:03 am
Violet Song jat Shariff

Quote:

Walk him to and from church, but go for coffee or tea or, better yet, something utterly decadent during.
That should get the message through utterly.  

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

Aino Ailill

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:00 am
Violet Song jat Shariff
Aino Ailill
Violet Song jat Shariff
Celeblin Galadeneryn
Violet Song jat Shariff

Alright I'll try to make this as coherent as possible; it's quite early in the morning where I am at and I haven't been to bed yet xd

First off, I fail to see how the father asking his daughter to accompany him to church and back home is "guilt tripping." He makes no request that she takes the sermon to heart, no demand that she actively participate. To say that his request to help him to and from is a "guilt trip" feels like she is making a mountain out of a mole-hill.

The request is not to be walked to and from, but to be accompanied throughout the entire venture because e needs someone to walk with e and sit with e despite that, presumably, there are people already willing and able to do this.

Quote:
Also from the exchange, from the daughter I feel it is implied: "My spiritual needs and wants are foremost important - ******** your spiritual needs on the sole basis that I think mine are in disagreement with yours!"

Really? I get the feeling 'my spiritual and emotional wants and needs are important. I am not going to sacrifice myself by causing myself undue discomfort when your physical needs (which is what has been presented as the cause the request) are being met by others. Your emotional desire to want me, specifically, there is not due cause for me to place myself in a position of discomfort.'

Quote:
And I find this at the very least mildly frustrating because as she thinks she is in the right at present by holding this sentiment, should the tables be turned she'd be rolling out the persekyooshun red carpet.

Are you certain of this?

Quote:
I am beginning to really despise this stance of some Pagans - the whole acting like entering a church will somehow make them less of a Pagan or "pollute" them with Christianity.

Yeah, that's weird. neutral

Quote:
To more specifically address your point - it was mentioned in the exchange that one of the people her father sits with is not present because s/he is hospitalized. Perhaps her father really does need 2 people to sit with him during church.

I don't think that is a conclusion that can be drawn from what little information is present.

Quote:
Perhaps he just enjoys his daughter's company and wants to spend some time with her outside of the house and the walk to and from would give them a wonderful chance to talk.

Then why was e not content with the offer of the child to walk with the father but not to enter the church? And why would one's emotional desires override another's emotional aversions?

Quote:
Perhaps the father doesn't trust anyone as much as he trusts the daughter in keeping an eye on him.

Again, not a conclusion that can be drawn from the limited information.

Quote:
I mean, by the sounds of it, the father could fall victim to serious injury or even death at any moment and it just appalls me that he is shut out on a simple request in such a snide, condescending manner by his own daughter.

There are others that are willing and able to accompany the father.

Quote:

smile  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:04 am
Recursive Paradox
Aino Ailill
Violet Song jat Shariff
Celeblin Galadeneryn
Violet Song jat Shariff

Quote:

Because people with disabilities are often shunted aside for a variety of reasons over and over (usually due to ableism), so even when the reasons may be valid, they still hurt like a b***h and add to that awfulness that PWD deal with every day.

The son is able bodied and his privilege allows him to not go with someone to places. He's able to leave and not feel that pain. His father has no choice. It's a complete privileged person empathy fail.

So your issue is with how the child declined the request, not with the request being declined?  

Aino Ailill

[Your Worst Nitemare]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:37 am
Violet Song jat Shariff
Aino Ailill
Violet Song jat Shariff
Celeblin Galadeneryn
Violet Song jat Shariff

Quote:

Also from the exchange, from the daughter I feel it is implied: "My spiritual needs and wants are foremost important - ******** your spiritual needs on the sole basis that I think mine are in disagreement with yours!" And I find this at the very least mildly frustrating because as she thinks she is in the right at present by holding this sentiment, should the tables be turned she'd be rolling out the persekyooshun red carpet. I am beginning to really despise this stance of some Pagans - the whole acting like entering a church will somehow make them less of a Pagan or "pollute" them with Christianity.

To more specifically address your point - it was mentioned in the exchange that one of the people her father sits with is not present because s/he is hospitalized. Perhaps her father really does need 2 people to sit with him during church. Perhaps he just enjoys his daughter's company and wants to spend some time with her outside of the house and the walk to and from would give them a wonderful chance to talk. Perhaps the father doesn't trust anyone as much as he trusts the daughter in keeping an eye on him. I mean, by the sounds of it, the father could fall victim to serious injury or even death at any moment and it just appalls me that he is shut out on a simple request in such a snide, condescending manner by his own daughter.

Indeed you did, and it is very well written for someone who hasn't slept and it's early morning when you wrote this.

I agree the statement about the stance of some Pagans- that entering a church will pollute them with Christianity. Which of course is wrong- if you are really what you say you are, Christian, Pagan or otherwise, you'll stick by what you really believe in despite the fact that you're in a situation where someone else is displaying their beliefs.

The general tone that I'm getting from what the kid and the father said (I know that I may not be right, the entirety of this post is up for debate) is that the kid is trying his/her hardest to push herself away from his/her parents because s/he's Pagan, and the dad is really trying just to spend a little time with them. Even if it isn't, if I were the dad in this situation, I would be horribly hurt by the way the kid acted towards me.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 150 151 152 153 154 155 ... 227 228 229 230 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games