Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Official Warhammer 40,000 and Tabletop Gaming Guild

Back to Guilds

The Official Gaian Home of Tabletop Gaming 

Tags: Games Workshop, Tabletop, Warhammer, Gaming, Wargaming 

Reply General Discussion (Chatterbox)
The Black Library Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... 107 108 109 110 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

berserker_girl

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:27 pm
Is anybody else excited about Horus Rising by Dan Abnett? What are your expectations?

I don't think he can botch it that bad, he's Dan Abnett afterall. But if the comp told him what to write to a "t," then there could be some trouble.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:55 pm
Ive just finished the Eisenhorn Trilogy, I also read Space Marine, and The Draco Trilogy.

As for The Emperor, I wouldnt exactly call him a corpse(Especially if he was listening!) He is the strongest psyker of all time(human anyway) The fluff on his creation and early days was really interesting. Draco has a little one on one with the Emperor too. (What doesnt that guy do..)

Ive come accross some Last Chancer books now too.. Has anyone read Ravenor, is it any good?  

omegoku

berserker_girl

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:04 pm
Ravenor is awesome! I've read both books and I love them. I'd place them up there with the Eisenhorn Trilogy, but Ravenor in some ways. Its more action than intrigue, though there is a fair enough amount of that too. Basically, if you loved the Eisenhorn trilogy, and Abnett's style, you'll love Ravenor.

The Draco series was... odd. I liked it, but it was so unlike today's 40k. Still, I like it's portrayal of the Emperor, and all that Star Child stuff.

How good is Space Marine? I've heard so much about it from both sides that I don't know if I really want to give out so much cash to buy it.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:03 am
I give you, Horus Rising:

User Image

Oh, and has anyone read Honour of the Grave? Is it any good?  

berserker_girl

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:35 am
Dan Abnett is treated like he's the only hope BL has. People around me say that Dan Abnett is THE s**t. I find it apalling. Okay, so he's going to write about THE defining point of Imperial history. I am keeping my fingers crossed though, no matter how much people spunk on him, not everything he produces is as great as we are told to be.

While Dan was brought in to reshape most of the 40k universe into something more gritty and with more depth, he's not the only one with talent. Si Spurrier snd CL Werner are of worthy notice and deserving of the good writers award. The award for worst writer brought in goes to C.S. Goto for his fractured writing.

I like how all 40k stuff written by Abnett is connected in one way or the other. While Eisenhorn is more or less epic, Ravenor is down to action and witty dialogue. Something along the lines of John Woo meets *insert good writer here*. For the observant, it should be obvious how Ravenor ends.

Honour of the Grave will be likened by some, hated by others, I'd suggest you read the extract over at the BL site first. I loved the first book as it's following an anti-hero, which are far better to read about then heroes in shining armour. Besides, it's not everyday that a corpse looter is given her own range of novels.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:01 am
I'm not saying that Abnett is all the BL has, I like other authors just as much. I love Ben Counter, William King, Jack Yeovil, and others also. Goto is good, though I've only read Warrior Brood. Other authors could have written it, and written it well I'm sure. But Dan Abnett has such a reputation, that everyone expects him to be the best.

Thanks, I should be getting my copy soon in the mail.  

berserker_girl

omegoku

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:55 pm
I liked Space Marine. I read it before the Draco Trilogy. It is even more old school than the trilogy. with, dare I say it, Zoats and everything! I liked it, it was nice to see how the world of 40k used to be, and its the story of Dracos Space Marine buddy(whose name i cant quite remember) Unfortunatly it seems to be so out of date fluff wise that its been pulled from the shelves. worth reading if you can get your hands on..  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:01 pm
omegoku
I liked Space Marine. I read it before the Draco Trilogy. It is even more old school than the trilogy. with, dare I say it, Zoats and everything! I liked it, it was nice to see how the world of 40k used to be, and its the story of Dracos Space Marine buddy(whose name i cant quite remember) Unfortunatly it seems to be so out of date fluff wise that its been pulled from the shelves. worth reading if you can get your hands on..

Getting a copy is the hard part. I haven't seen one selling for less than $75! But I will keep searching, I gotta read the part with zoats, I love those guys!  

berserker_girl

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:44 am
Zoats... Wow, now that's old, even older then the Squats.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:50 pm
im looking foward to Horus Rising alot im finishing up traitor general from the Ghosts series which were all beautiful works of art. But ive always found the Horus Heresy itself as a intreasting part of the Warhammer universe yet theres not all that much fluff on it.

I was perticually fond of the books Iron Hands by Jonathan Green and Dead Sky Black Sun by Graham McNeill

Im trying to find some books on the war for armagedon right now but its taking me a while to get a hold of them.  

AldosFirestar

Symos

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:51 am
I wouldn't mind reading Horus Rising. The Heresy is to me an interesting aspect of the 40k history.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:21 am
You think the Heresy is going to be GW's next big thing? Witht he CCG already, for a while now, it makes sense to cash in on it with the mini-game.  

berserker_girl

vaholm

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 2:45 pm
If it is well written then I dont see why a book about the Heresy would be bad, because then at least you could get a better understanding of the characters involved, like the betrayal of Magnus the Red by the Space Wolves (Bjorn the Fell Handed as a bloodclaw!) and maybe get to see what Abbadon was thinking when he found the body of his beloved Primarch, after the fated battle with the Emperor, Abbadon better have some good vengance lines is all I'm saying.

the books Storm of Iron and Dead sky Black sun are my favouites, love the Savage Morticians.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 3:56 pm
We know the Emperor and Horus fight, but what was going through their heads at the time? Surely the Emperor would be asking Horus why he betrayed the imperium. This is a long shot I know, but what if Horus as the point of his death asks himself "What have I done?" and asks his father for forgiveness, leading to Abaddon's bitterness and disgust.  

Symos

vaholm

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 4:20 pm
that explains why Abbadon was willing to steal one of Horus's power claws

it would be cool to see the Blood Angels Primarch (I'm not going to bother trying to spell his name) fighting the blood thirster and then later talking to Horus and getting himself slashed up by Horus.

(Emperor) what have you done to thine brother(shock)? (Horus) I do the Dark Gods will now, and this pretty boy always pissed me off. (Emperor) You will die for this traitor scum! (Horus) Bring it b***h!

On the other side of the Galaxy. (Ultramarines) I say, I think we where tricked by that blighter Horus in to going way out here. What do you think Leman Russ? (Space Wolves Primarch) By the furry face of my mother! that Horus is tricky. I never thought that he'd use tactics!

On Terra. (Kharn) kill! Burn! Maim!...uh main. kill? (Angron) no, no, no, silly boy its kill. Maim. Burn. just scream them over and over and you'll get the point across. (Kharn) ok, thanks boss. (Angron) no problem, oh look White Scars! (Kharn) kill! Maim! Burn! (Angron) thats the spirit!

Elsewhere on Terra (Emperor's Children). (Lucius) it puts the lotion on the skin or it gets the hose again... uh Fulgrim, why are we called the Emperor's Children if we serve Slaanesh? (Fulgrim) dont ask me that right now I am so friggan stoned(flexes hand) he he.

conclusion might follow if I can think of some way of mocking the Emperor  
General Discussion (Chatterbox)

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... 107 108 109 110 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games