Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Shounen Ai and Yaoi Guild

Back to Guilds

A Guild dedicated to discussing Yaoi and Boy Love. 

Tags: yaoi, shounen ai, boy love, anime, manga 

Reply The Official Shounen Ai/Yaoi Guild
The Bookstore Dilemma Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 13 14 15 16 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Lady Gyrfalcon
Crew

Dapper Ghost

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:41 pm
Aside from yaoi or BL manga, I was actually a teensy bit more embarassed by going up to the counter to enquire about the complete works of Oscar Wilde while wearing a waistcoat, trousers and ruffled shirt. Because, I mean...
Nutcase much? lol  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:01 pm
i havent had any embrassing momnets purchasing or borrowing yaoi.... actually most (90%) of my club members like and read yaoi!!!!
huraaa...... my boyfriend thinks its wierd (i'm also bi, and he knows).... but accepts it.... 4laugh  

FReaKRaveR

Friendly Fatcat

11,600 Points
  • Member 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Dabbler 200

User_2629207

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:57 am
Lady Gyrfalcon
Aside from yaoi or BL manga, I was actually a teensy bit more embarassed by going up to the counter to enquire about the complete works of Oscar Wilde while wearing a waistcoat, trousers and ruffled shirt. Because, I mean...
Nutcase much? lol
Rulin' ya universes...

OMFG DANDY!?
biggrin Thassa good book. It's in my bookshelf, yes yes. Heheh.
...since 1992.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:42 pm
I buy all my manga at the local comic book shop that has its own BL/ yaoi section but its on a high shelf above the normal manga. so i have to say "excuse me" to the little kids who are on the bottom shelf reading Mar or something. and ill feel all bad about lost youth blah blah, but then i go to buy the manga and ill be gabbing to the cashier about loveless and then i feel better.
but that poor poor little boys ears.... blaugh  

lawliet-senpai

Labtech Abi

Friendly Pumpkin

8,975 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:53 pm
>w<

I buy Eerie Queerie, but besides that I can't find any other good yaoi because it's all M rated gonk crying

BUT I have indeed seen other people pick up yaoi. I just felt happy. I wish I had friends in real life who liked yaoi crying .

I would have loved to say something to the charming girl, but I was to cowardly. What would I say? "So... You likes the mansex, eh?" (Well you catch my drift xd )

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:13 pm
Well I often get that kindred feeling when I see girls talking about it in the open. I'm not so open unless other people are comfortable with it. And sadly I have not purchased my own yaoi manga (seeing as I rely on the internet for it), but I'm really looking forward to when I do. Anybody have suggestions for this kind of thing? Like which clerks to look for or something?  

Hal B Noire

Dapper Explorer

Labtech Abi

Friendly Pumpkin

8,975 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:18 pm
Halcyon100
Well I often get that kindred feeling when I see girls talking about it in the open. I'm not so open unless other people are comfortable with it. And sadly I have not purchased my own yaoi manga (seeing as I rely on the internet for it), but I'm really looking forward to when I do. Anybody have suggestions for this kind of thing? Like which clerks to look for or something?

xd No, but if the clerk gives you a dirty look say "Frowning causes wrinkles... Hey I think you've... Nevermind." with a dramatic exit. (he/she take care to not frown/ give glare xd I've done it)  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:24 pm
One day, I went to the mall really exhausted from school. Forget sleep - I needed manga!

So I trudged in, grabbed some yaoi (can't remember which one exactly), and marched up to the counter.

The bookstore I go to puts the manga they don't have room for on really high shelfs, so you have to ask employees to take one down for you. The clerks almost always glance at the front and back cover as they walk back over to you<---kind of annoying because sometimes they stare longer than I'd like them too.

Anyway...
Clerk: You do know this is 18+, right?
Me:*under 18* Uhh, yeah.
Clerk: I don't know if I should be selling this to you...
Me: *panics a little inside*...please? *gives a weak, exasperated smile*
Clerk: Okay, but I'm not the one who'll take responsibility for this...
Me: Thank you. *relieved*

The convo went something like that. I would've thrown a BF right there (even though I was really tired) if he hadn't sold me my precious yaoi XD

While I was buying Little Butterfly Vol. 2, I ran into a girl I know from school. She's into anime/manga like me, so of course we were looking in the same section. For some reason, I hid LB from her like it was drugs or something (which it kind of is XD)! I was just being retardedly paranoid x]

Another time, an employee got curious while I switched one manga out for another. Luckily it was only I1 gatto sul G Vol. 1, so she didn't stumble upon anything explicit (but it was one of the first times I'd bought yaoi and I was paranoid, with no idea whether or not it really was explicit, so I freaked a little internally). Although when I came back up to the counter, she was kinda like 'Oh!' and put it back down, saying that she had gotten curious because of the beautiful cover art. I don't know if it was just me, but I thought she might have saw something she thought she shouldn't have and simply put it back down out of shock XD

To this day, I wonder what scene she might have come across...(I'm assuming it was the scene where Atsushi is touching Riya's feet because I think that intimate scene could be seen differently from a glance...)

And finally, I always get embarrassed when I buy a yaoi with a really suggestive cover - I just can't help it! >///<

otakubaybay

User_2629207

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:05 am
otakubaybay

And finally, I always get embarrassed when I buy a yaoi with a really suggestive cover - I just can't help it! >///<
Rulin' ya universes...

Me too! xD But it's so much fun to buy them if the clerk is embarassed!
...since 1992.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:16 pm
omfg i haven't posted in here in a longlonglonglonglonglonglong time.

XP

Nowadays I don't get embarassed when I buy any form of BL anymore because the cashiers i get always compliment what I'm buying. (lol)

So during christmas time I was excited to buy volume two of Il Gatto sul G...so I was talking to my cousin online and I mentioned that I needed to go buy it.

Well when my cousin and aunt came down for christmas, he and my sister walk into the waldenbooks in the mall they went to. Now for some reaosn my cousin actually wrote down the book I was talking about. (lol luckily it wasnt J-Boy...because I really want that manga.)

Well my sister and my cousin had noclue where to find the manga section so they asked one of the cashiers to find them Il Gatto sul G vol.2. So the cashier person finds it for them and my sister asks what the synopsis was. so the yaoi closet fan cashier told her the plot and mentioned phrases like "boy on boy action..." which freaked out my sister. lmao.

So a week after my cousin left, I get this present in a small tote on christmas day. And my mom is like "its from your aunt and cousin." So I was thinking that maybe she got me something related to another perfume? Well I felt the gift around and it felt very much like a juné manga would feel like. though I though it was just a novel. So I opened and I almost fan-squee. And then my sister told my mom the story of the manga. And mom almsot flips out when she found out that it was shounen-ai. (you see my mom is a major homophobe.) So my mom is like "I'm going to read that book, and if I find something wrong that could mess up your brain for life; I am burning it." I waslike : eek "NOOOO!" so that very same nightI moved all my shounen-ai/yaoi manga to the back of my collection.... Because I was afraid if my mom read that one she would want to read them alla nd burn them because its against the bible. (pfft. w/e. I stopped being religious when I discovered yaoi.)

and for the next few nights I had horrid nightamres about my mom burning all my shounen-ai/yaoi manga... I had contemplated giving them all to my friend to hold on for while. well luckily enough my mom forgot about the manga. phew. sweatdrop and that was a close one.

--
hah when I went to megacon this year, i was really lucky to find volume 1 of "Our Kingdom" in the 5 dollar manga booth...because the yaoi manga booth didn't have so much discounts. They charged frikken 11 dollars for a manga I could buy for 10 at Waldenbooks. -_____-

well so i go home with all my merch first thing i do, i put one kingdom in the back with all my other BL manga and then I showed my mom the rest of the merch I bought. hah I'm lucky she didnt out about that one...Luckily I didnt buy any doujin. because then it would be very hard to lie about my expenses with those. ($15 dollars each.)  

Duke of Drag

Beloved Conversationalist

[Ryan Azarcon]

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 1:39 pm
I live in an apartment now (with a friend who doesn't like yaoi no less) but I don't have to hide my stuff from my family anymore (well, my youngest nephew when he comes over.. "What's that? Can I read it??" I've already messed him up already, I let him watch Kyou Kara Maoh and now he asks questions like "When are Yuri and Wolfram going to get married?" Nooo!)

It used to be such a hassle, usually no one would ask me many questions but.. once in a while my computer would come into the equation and lets just say its a good thing my family isn't tech savy, lots of hidden files. Hehehe. I still have some on my sister's computer that she doesn't know about.. I got caught once but.. I think my explanation of "Its anime, you never know what you are going to get," got me out of it (hopefully).

I'm so deceivingly honest... why do they trust me??

I still get embarrassed when I look at it in bookstores, especially when someone you know (like your ex-boyfriend) sees you.... ::dies::  
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 6:48 pm
This one time I went on a trip to Mitsuwa (a place in NJ with a lot of Japanese stores and the like) and my first stop was the Japanese bookstore. While at this massive and amazing store, I found a section devoted to yaoi (and one to yuri as well). Needless to say I spent most of my time browsing right there. At one point I stepped away for a moment, and when I came back, two girls were practically hogging the whole yaoi section. At first I was angry, but then I calmed down. I went up to them and was like, "Hey, share the amazingness!" They moved over and let me look with them. We ended up talking a lot while looking through the books. Eventually I got their email addresses and we all started talking to each other. Now we're all really good friends!! It was a great day too. <3  

xxIrrelevant Obsessionxx

User_2629207

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 9:20 pm
[Ryan Azarcon]
"When are Yuri and Wolfram going to get married?"
Rulin' ya universes...

OMG that is so cute! gonk heart Give your nephew a pat on the head and a hug from me! heart

Now back on topic... I was REALLY nervous about buying yaoi the first time, but I got no reaction from the cashier so now I care very little ^^ It is ever so amusing when they freak out, though.

The last time I bought yaoi (at borders, which is really dumb but I needed it.) it was All Nippon Air Line (a**l for short, heheh.) and this other guy who I was shopping with who isn't really a friend more like acquaintance kept trying to steal it ;_; Not good D;< Really pissed me off!

...since 1992.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 11:53 am
had that happen before xd  

protecterofelements

Mika_Clari

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 2:24 pm
I kind of understand now the bookstore dilemma. I want to buy Junjou Romantica but I can only find them at this specific bookstore. I don't want to request at the usual store I go to. I'm embarrassed because each cover looks like molestation...OK not looks like, is molestation. Maybe I will request it. Nah...I'll just go to the bookstore.  
The Official Shounen Ai/Yaoi Guild

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 13 14 15 16 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff