Welcome to Gaia! ::

GCD GANGSTAS

Back to Guilds

Its just that hip, yo 

Tags: Geeceedee, GCDer, Items, Plot, Awesome 

Reply Come Back Mero <33
VGD:::Vidya Game Discussion:: Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... 23 24 25 26 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sachie Whitby

King Vampire

18,200 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:21 pm
Sara Hysaro
Sachie Whitby
Sara Hysaro
Sachie Whitby
Sara Hysaro
... *regoogles Abandonware* Ah, I see. xd I was too hasty in my google assumptions. That makes sense. I guess it'd be good for games like Panzer Dragoon Saga, where the actual copies are in limited supply and the creators claim that it'd be a waste of time to go retrieve the code to make a remake or a version to download.

Or "The Savage Empire" and "Martian Dreams," which are the two Ultima games that are abandoned to the extent that when the Ultima Collection was released [which I do own a legal copy of], neither game was included on the disc.

That must have disappointed a lot of people looking forward to the collection. I know that I'd be a little upset if the one game I wanted to play out of a series wasn't included in a collection. I wonder why they left them out.

The rumor I heard is that the company that owned the game didn't even have an archival copy of these two games anymore to the extent that they would have had to download them off of an abandonware site themselves had they wanted to included them. [Technically they could have done just that, but yea.]

Huh, that rumor makes sense. Kinda along the same lines of Panzer Dragoon Saga. Personally if I was in charge I'd probably download the games off of abandonware and send an e-mail to the owner of the sites those games are on to take them down. I guess they didn't feel like bothering with that.

The abandonware site I use only has stuff that is truly abandoned. The page for Master of Orion has a link to where you can legally buy the game [and no download links] as it went back in print.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:38 pm
Sachie Whitby
Sara Hysaro
Sachie Whitby
Sara Hysaro
Sachie Whitby
Sara Hysaro
... *regoogles Abandonware* Ah, I see. xd I was too hasty in my google assumptions. That makes sense. I guess it'd be good for games like Panzer Dragoon Saga, where the actual copies are in limited supply and the creators claim that it'd be a waste of time to go retrieve the code to make a remake or a version to download.

Or "The Savage Empire" and "Martian Dreams," which are the two Ultima games that are abandoned to the extent that when the Ultima Collection was released [which I do own a legal copy of], neither game was included on the disc.

That must have disappointed a lot of people looking forward to the collection. I know that I'd be a little upset if the one game I wanted to play out of a series wasn't included in a collection. I wonder why they left them out.

The rumor I heard is that the company that owned the game didn't even have an archival copy of these two games anymore to the extent that they would have had to download them off of an abandonware site themselves had they wanted to included them. [Technically they could have done just that, but yea.]

Huh, that rumor makes sense. Kinda along the same lines of Panzer Dragoon Saga. Personally if I was in charge I'd probably download the games off of abandonware and send an e-mail to the owner of the sites those games are on to take them down. I guess they didn't feel like bothering with that.

The abandonware site I use only has stuff that is truly abandoned. The page for Master of Orion has a link to where you can legally buy the game [and no download links] as it went back in print.

That's definitely the best way to run a site like that. Hopefully the links gave the company a few sales they wouldn't have had otherwise. smile

And wow, Master of Orion has a pretty cool concept for a game.  

Sara Hysaro

Precious Seeker

Sachie Whitby

King Vampire

18,200 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:51 pm
Sara Hysaro
That's definitely the best way to run a site like that. Hopefully the links gave the company a few sales they wouldn't have had otherwise. smile

I usually play the super techy race that gets all the good and nifty stuff... which pretty much means avoiding conflicts and pissing off the other races until I have such a huge technological advantage that it won't matter that everyone else has these huge fleets of spaceships that they've been building for centuries. I can hide behind my planetary shields and send out ships they cannot even damage.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:01 pm
Sachie Whitby
Sara Hysaro

I usually play the super techy race that gets all the good and nifty stuff... which pretty much means avoiding conflicts and pissing off the other races until I have such a huge technological advantage that it won't matter that everyone else has these huge fleets of spaceships that they've been building for centuries. I can hide behind my planetary shields and send out ships they cannot even damage.

Haha, can't win against an opponent immune to all of your attacks! It's always fun to watch your side grow leaps and bounds over the opposition. ^^ Especially knowing that you were the one who helped get them there.  

Sara Hysaro

Precious Seeker

Sachie Whitby

King Vampire

18,200 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:25 pm
Sara Hysaro
Sachie Whitby
Sara Hysaro

Haha, can't win against an opponent immune to all of your attacks! It's always fun to watch your side grow leaps and bounds over the opposition. ^^ Especially knowing that you were the one who helped get them there.

Although if the computer opponents don't go to war with me early on, it becomes increasingly difficult to loose the game.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:34 pm
Sachie Whitby
Sara Hysaro
Sachie Whitby
Sara Hysaro

Although if the computer opponents don't go to war with me early on, it becomes increasingly difficult to loose the game.

Yeah, I imagine that if your technological development gets to progress uninhibited it'll then make it nearly impossible to get those nice matches where you aren't entirely sure who'll win. One sided matches are only fun against opponents who nearly beat you early on.  

Sara Hysaro

Precious Seeker

Sachie Whitby

King Vampire

18,200 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:03 pm
Sara Hysaro
Sachie Whitby
Sara Hysaro
Sachie Whitby
Sara Hysaro

Yeah, I imagine that if your technological development gets to progress uninhibited it'll then make it nearly impossible to get those nice matches where you aren't entirely sure who'll win. One sided matches are only fun against opponents who nearly beat you early on.

One sided matches are also fun against the opponent who threatens to crush you every time you meet with them. Then it's like haha, you're not so tough now.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:10 pm
Sachie Whitby
Sara Hysaro
Sachie Whitby
Sara Hysaro
Sachie Whitby
Sara Hysaro

One sided matches are also fun against the opponent who threatens to crush you every time you meet with them. Then it's like haha, you're not so tough now.

Oooh, true. Annihilating cocky opponents is pretty awesome too. >:3 And then it becomes hilarious if you just keep devastating them, but they never change their tune. Which is true for pretty much every computer opponent in games like these. xd  

Sara Hysaro

Precious Seeker

Sachie Whitby

King Vampire

18,200 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:16 pm
Sara Hysaro
Oooh, true. Annihilating cocky opponents is pretty awesome too. >:3 And then it becomes hilarious if you just keep devastating them, but they never change their tune. Which is true for pretty much every computer opponent in games like these. xd

That's also probably poor design.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:31 pm
Sachie Whitby
Sara Hysaro

Probably. I'd get annoyed with it in story games, but I'm fine with it in a competitive environment where the game can end with you losing. Though it would be pretty neat if there was a little bit of "character development". Rank everyone in the game based on their performance, and give each team their own set of messages they say based on their current ranking. Simple, but I think it'd work out well enough as long as there are a good number of teams. smile  

Sara Hysaro

Precious Seeker

Sachie Whitby

King Vampire

18,200 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:50 pm
Sara Hysaro
Sachie Whitby
Sara Hysaro

Probably. I'd get annoyed with it in story games, but I'm fine with it in a competitive environment where the game can end with you losing. Though it would be pretty neat if there was a little bit of "character development". Rank everyone in the game based on their performance, and give each team their own set of messages they say based on their current ranking. Simple, but I think it'd work out well enough as long as there are a good number of teams. smile

That would just be another variable to contend with that could just end up creating more problems. I love Civilization 4 but won't own Civilization 5 as the AI does really bad things like goes to war with you and puts its cannons and archers before its foot soldiers. Ummmm....  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:53 pm
I get my new 3DS on the weeekend.
So much want.
-flails around-  

aliceloatheswonderland

Stone-cold Cat

20,840 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Citizen 200

Sara Hysaro

Precious Seeker

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:58 pm
Sachie Whitby
Sara Hysaro
Sachie Whitby
Sara Hysaro

That would just be another variable to contend with that could just end up creating more problems. I love Civilization 4 but won't own Civilization 5 as the AI does really bad things like goes to war with you and puts its cannons and archers before its foot soldiers. Ummmm....

I suppose that's marginally better than shooting their own foot soldiers with the cannons. Marginally. xd Though if they're messing that up I wouldn't be surprised if that was another issue the game's AI has.

I believe I saw a video of Oblivion where this guy was chasing after the player, but the player had a decent enough jump stat to make a jump that the other character couldn't. However, the NPC still attempted to jump across the gap, and when he inevitably failed he ran back up the stairs to try again. Poor NPC jumped himself to death.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:59 pm
AliceLoathesWonderland
So much want.
-flails around-

Oooh~ Which games are you going to get for it to start out?  

Sara Hysaro

Precious Seeker

aliceloatheswonderland

Stone-cold Cat

20,840 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:03 pm
Sara Hysaro
AliceLoathesWonderland
So much want.
-flails around-

Oooh~ Which games are you going to get for it to start out?

No idea!
I just got it as a replacement for my lite x)  
Come Back Mero <33

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... 23 24 25 26 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games