Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply PathWays
Asatru a la Deoridhe Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:36 pm
I owuldn't consider the Norns to be Disir, and I've seen nothing in the lore suggesting they're related to anyone,much less specifically humans. I consider the Norns on par with Sunna and Mani and Ran - when they deal with humans, it's nothing personal or particularly important to them.

The way it feels to me is as if there are forces so powerful and removed that they are like earthquakes, or thunderstorms, or tornadoes - they act for their own purposes and any effect to humans is largely incidental.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:28 pm
That was my thinking too; they're not related to any mortal...so how could they be Disir? Silly Wiki.  

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50

Taliah

Lonely Phantom

8,450 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Forum Junior 100
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:06 pm
Here's one.

I've heard the Norns be compared the Triple Goddess before (the maiden, mother, crone). Is this a fluff bunny comparison, or is that actually similar?  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:20 pm
Taliah
Here's one.

I've heard the Norns be compared the Triple Goddess before (the maiden, mother, crone). Is this a fluff bunny comparison, or is that actually similar?

eek
I'll take a crack at this (if I'm not allowed to, just say so and I'll delete this)

I would say that's fluffy. The Norns aren't goddesses, nor are they one entity that has three phases. I don't think they have any lunar connection either.

But that's just my two cents sweatdrop  

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:18 am
Taliah
Here's one.

I find the conception that a woman's status is determined by her fertility and sexual availability to be really minimizing of women in general, and goddesses in particular. I'm very anti-triple-goddess for that reason.

Also, the Norns aren't ever reported as being different ages. One is That Which Has Been, one is That Which Is Becoming, and one is That Which Should Be, but none of that relates to whether they (or anyone else) has had sex, has a child, or is no longer fertile.

That's not even getting into, the Norns aren't gods and the Norns aren't one being but three.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:50 pm
Ugh, Wiccasatru... The first guise I ever encountered fluffiness in. Although, I do think the similiarities to the Greek Moirae are noteworthy. Is that any better?  

Nomad of Nowhere

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:05 pm
Teague the Druid
Ugh, Wiccasatru... The first guise I ever encountered fluffiness in. Although, I do think the similiarities to the Greek Moirae are noteworthy. Is that any better?

Eh, I prefer That Which is Becoming and That Which Should Become to the present and the future. The Greek and Norse concepts of past appear to be similar, though.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:36 pm
You prefer? When I said "Is that any better?" I meant to ask if comparing the Norns to the Moirae was any less fluffy than comparing them to the Wiccan triple goddess- you know, since they do at least both rule over fate- not if you liked them more. I would be embarrassed to come to an Asatru thread and ask if they liked a Hellenic belief more!  

Nomad of Nowhere

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:09 pm
Teague the Druid
You prefer? When I said "Is that any better?" I meant to ask if comparing the Norns to the Moirae was any less fluffy than comparing them to the Wiccan triple goddess- you know, since they do at least both rule over fate- not if you liked them more. I would be embarrassed to come to an Asatru thread and ask if they liked a Hellenic belief more!

No, the Moirae rule over fate. The Norns record Wyrd. Wyrd and fate are similar in that both deal with the future, but they are different things. Fate was viewed as immutable by the Greeks and Romans, so far as I know. Indeed, it's central to many of their dramas that people who attempt to change their fate end up fulfilling it through trying to avoid it. Wyrd is a lot more mutable and uncertain.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:07 pm
Deoridhe
Teague the Druid

No, the Moirae rule over fate. The Norns record Wyrd. Wyrd and fate are similar in that both deal with the future, but they are different things. Fate was viewed as immutable by the Greeks and Romans, so far as I know. Indeed, it's central to many of their dramas that people who attempt to change their fate end up fulfilling it through trying to avoid it. Wyrd is a lot more mutable and uncertain.

I'm sorry, my mistake. That does seem like a pretty big difference. It's also seems to be a very hard distinction for me to make. I'm fairly certain I have read that Wyrd is inescapable. Is that not true, or is it impossible to escape it in one form or another, without it's exact details being certain?  

Nomad of Nowhere

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:30 pm
Teague the Druid
I'm sorry, my mistake. That does seem like a pretty big difference. It's also seems to be a very hard distinction for me to make. I'm fairly certain I have read that Wyrd is inescapable. Is that not true, or is it impossible to escape it in one form or another, without it's exact details being certain?

There are something which it's either difficult to shift or the side effects are worse than the results of leaving it be.

I tend to think of wyrd as follows.

It is a landscape with a river running through it. Through concerted effort, the river can be diverted, angled, even moved, however sometimes if you move it too far it can lead to mudslides or floods. Over time, the direction of lots of water in one way will cause changes, and those changes may be easy or hard to revere or alleviate. That doesn't mean they're necessarily inescapable, though some things, like death, seem pretty near such.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:00 am
I know truly Nothing about runes. Seriously, it's embarassing.
Although at some point I will get my a** in gear and learn more.

I was reading over the back few pages and I want to ask: what is a bindrune?  

patch99329

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:37 pm
patch99329
I know truly Nothing about runes. Seriously, it's embarassing.
Although at some point I will get my a** in gear and learn more.

I was reading over the back few pages and I want to ask: what is a bindrune?

A bindrune is several runes combined into a symbol which is meant to accomplish something. The other way they are used in this way is through a Rune Row, which is ... a row of runes.

Runes were originally, and are still, a means for altering the world through their use. A Vitki is essentially a wizard who uses runes as her (traditionally his, but I'm a female Vitki, so ******** the past wink ) means of acting.

There are stories of rune rows and bindrunes being misused and making the problem worse, for the record. I had a notable problem when I made a bindrune for health which ended up being a "kill the adults in order to make the children live and flourish" bindrune which I promptly destroyed (in fire).

I have a single bindrune I've used for a very long time which is essentially a personal symbol as well as a mark of who I am and my power. One of my hobbies for a while was making bindrunes out of peoples' names, too, mostly as a way of getting used to combining runes.

The stories imply that a novice vitki would be taught a standard set of bindrunes and/or rune rows which had been developed over time for specific ends. One of the interesting things around Baldr's death is that Odin whispered 18 secrets into his ear; a lot of other people into Runes have assumed these were 18 runes (although that doesn't match the numbers we found runes in anywhere that I know of; the Futhark I use is 24 runes long) but I personally think they were 18 very powerful bindrunes to impose his will on the world.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:31 pm
Wasn't Vitka the feminine form?  

TeaDidikai

Taliah

Lonely Phantom

8,450 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Forum Junior 100
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:41 pm
My boyfriend found this, and now I wonder about it.

I'm not sure if many of you play video games much or at all, but a new Xbox 360 game was released either today or yesterday called Too Human. It takes place in a futuristic setting featuring a modern take on Norse Mythology. A few of the key characters are Odin, Baldr (main character), Hel, Freyja, Heimdal, Thor, Loki, Mimir, and Tyr. Yggdrasil is used as a gateway to an alternate world called Cyberspace, and is manipulated through the wells.

I don't know much of the story, but it intrigued my boyfriend enough to buy it. So as it progresses, I'll be able to give details of the story. But so far, what I understand is this... The gods themselves are cybernetically enhanced, making them superpowerful, and they protect the humans from the machines named Trolls, Dark Elves, Giants and so on. They are feeding on human flesh for an unknown reason, so Baldr takes a force to capture one for study.... and that's as far as I've seen. Apparently the Norns make an appearance, all three of them, though I don't know about their ages and if they are "wiccasatru" as Teague put it ^^

I guess my only question is to see if the game developers did their mythology homework well.  
PathWays

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff