Welcome to Gaia! ::

Harry Potter Guild of Gaia

Back to Guilds

The most active Harry Potter and Discussion guild in Gaia! 

Tags: Harry Potter, books, Discussion, Literate, Events 

Reply Harry Potter Guild of Gaia
The Hogwarts Monthly! May Issue 2015 [OPEN READ ME] Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... 24 25 26 27 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Are you ready for the new issue !?
  Yes!!
  I didn't know we had a paper.
  Can I please be a writer !?
View Results

HogwartsMonthlyEditor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:24 pm
Issue Name: February 2011
Issue Number: 3.1
Editor: IceeWitch

Table of Contents:

Page 1: Table of Contents
Page 2: Birthdays
Page 3: Recipes of Love
Page 4: Muggle Watch
Page 5: Around Hogwarts
Page 6: Ask the Elf!
Page 7: New Years' Resolutions
Page 8: Remember when.. (original comic!)
Page 9: Wiggardium Leviosa, Stupefy, Ekeltricity, Felix Felicis, Mandrakes and more!
Page 10: Member of the Month
Page 11: Just for Fun!
Page 12: Note from the Editor
Page 13: Current Staff  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:35 pm

♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥

Birthdays

User Image

January

b e a r - c h o o January 13th
Animekitty47 January 29th
Mothette January 15
Stardust Muse January 22nd
xsilentxchakrax (silent) January 20th

February

Valkyrie-Chii-Chan February 8th
Darth Hakumei February 3th

If your birthday is in January or February but is not listed here, please post it in this thread. Make sure the guild knows of any name changes!

Traditional Capricorn Traits Practical and prudent; Ambitious and disciplined; Patient and careful; Humorous and reserved.
Traditional Aquarius Traits Friendly and humanitarian; Honest and loyal; Original and inventive; Independent and intellectual.
Traditional Pisces Traits Imaginative and sensitive; Compassionate and kind; Selfless and unworldly; Intuitive and sympathetic

The Queen Lana
and IceeWitch

HogwartsMonthlyEditor

HogwartsMonthlyEditor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:38 pm

heart Recipes of Love heart

Rosmerta's Recipes

Butterbeer! It warms you up AND tastes great! Now in take-away form from The Three Broomsticks: perfect for a Happy Valentine's Day.

Ingredients:
1 cup (8 oz) club soda or cream soda(cream soda is preferable.)
½ cup (4 oz) butterscotch syrup (ice cream topping)
½ tablespoon butter

Directions:
Step 1: Measure butterscotch and butter into a 2 cup (16 oz) glass. Microwave on high for 1 to 1½ minutes, or until syrup is bubbly and butter is completely incorporated.
Step 2: Stir and cool for 30 seconds, then slowly mix in club/cream soda. Mixture will fizz quite a bit.
Step 3: Serve in two coffee mugs or small glasses; a perfectly warm Hogwarts treat for two!

Or if you like cold ice cream better than warm drinks, or just want something to sooth the heart try a ice cream butterbeer!

Ingredients:

1 pint real vanilla ice cream (use a brand that includes vanilla seed specks for best flavor or make your own)
1/4 cup real butter, at room temperature
1/2 teaspoon butterscotch extract
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1 quart apple cider

Directions:
Step 1: On medium speed, beat together vanilla ice cream, butter, butterscotch extract, brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg until well-combined. Pour into a container and re-freeze.
Step 2: When ready to serve, gently heat apple cider in a saucepan until steaming hot.
Step 3: Place ONE scoop of ice cream in a thick soda glass or large mug. Top with steaming apple cider.

tealflower1928

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:16 pm

MUGGLE WATCH!!

"Harry, you must know all about Muggles, so tell me, what exactly is the function of a rubber duck?" —Arthur Weasley asks Harry Potter about rubber ducks.

Rubber Ducks, these strange floating, rubber toys which imitate the bird formally known as Platyrhincos. I have been observing the use of these objects, and used many Muggle resources such as a Muggle library. I managed to find out in my first weeks of detection that you can buy with Muggle money, these funny rubber ducks.

I purchased one of these yellow rubber ducks, and set out to discover its use, what its function is. The rubber duck was easily destroyed, though my experiments were intended as harmless, i had to purchase another rubber duck, soon i was back again to purchase another duck, as the last one too hadn't lasted, i did find out though that they make good chew toys for your garden gnomes, they also don't resist flame. The third rubber duck i successfully discovered has the ability to swim, or float. This made me think that these rubber ducks must be modeled on real ducks, upon cutting it open, that it wasn't entirely constructed as a real duck is.

It was now i turned to the Muggle library, the library taught me of ducks, mallards, swans, geese, mergansers and so forth. It was in the children's corner of the library that my search came to a book about Rubber Ducks. It was about a Rubber Duck called Percival, who could walk and talk, and had been forgotten by his owner, who was growing up and no longer needed him. I concluded from this that, Rubber Ducks were for children, which would explain why they were sold in toy-stores, Rubber Ducks could also float.

I returned to the toy-store, determined to finally get to the bottom of this strange Muggle Artifact, the assistant of the store explained to me that a rubber duck was for bath time, it was a bath time toy for kids, it helped encourage them to take a bath with their favourite floating toy.

The function of a rubber duck, is for the enjoyment of a kid, during cleaning. I then purchased a few more ducks to make sure i always had enough.

The Queen Lana

HogwartsMonthlyEditor

HogwartsMonthlyEditor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:17 pm

Around Hogwarts

Winter Term 2k11 is now in FULL effect!
The Headmaster and House Ghosts really kick-offed Winter Term with a BANG!

Hyper Nerds Eat Cookies won a Spirit Falcon; Mothette won two Green Corallus Eggs and a Boa Constrictor;
The Queen Lana won Bullet the Puppy and a Sun Staff;
Oshenukhar won a Gold Prince's Rapier.
The winner of the January 2011 collectible was tealflower1928; Aunt Slappy received a second place prize of 10K.

That's a bunch of winners....and it was only one event!!!
Those prizes were made possible from guild donations!! The only way to donate to HPGoG is to send a trade to Professor Adonis [click here].

One person quietly stepped up really big in January. Oshenukhar, who's getting a super special SHOUT-OUT in this issue, really put forth a lot of effort this past month. Oshenukhar helped make this issue of the Hogwarts Monthly a success, committed to continue teaching this Term, and a lot of other things. Remember New Years Resolutions? Not only did he host New Years Resolutions, but he also opened a new ID Shop (to replace the recently closed ones). So thanks to Oshen, we can all get our new spiffy HPGoG IDs for similar low prices.

Whew...Icee talks a lot! That's it for Around Hogwarts!
PS: Remember to check the Entrance Hall frequently for guild updates!

IceeWitch

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:22 pm

Ask the Elf

Dear Ask The Elf

I'm curious about new years and christmas, and all similar holidays, and how it effects you.
I mean as an elf, it must men something right. Do elves have a Santa elf who brings them presents? What type of presents could an elf want? What about new years day. Do elves have resolutions, to be a better house elf.

On a side note, do you think that perhaps you could give me a hint on Resolution making... and keeping. It seems that i am not exactly amazing at keeping nor making my annual resolution. So perhaps, you could help me with any hints, or advice.

Thank you.

Annie Ule
------------------------------------------
Dear Ma'm

The annual 'yule' time is a constant source of stress for muggles and wizards alike. This then transfers down onto, us, elves, who are quite happy to de-stress their masters. But means that the yule is not a festive season for us. Some elves do experiance some sort of gift experiance to put it, but we elves usually fear being given gifts in case these gifts should lead to our release of servitude, to our masters who was so diligently obey. Present which have been given, which has been appreciated by elves are jewellery which belonged to thier masters. Portaits of thier masters, a toy of thier masters, anything that belonged to thier masters. Elves are happy most of all when thier masters are pleased with them.

Ma'm, i am quite sure that your resolution is much more then adequete for the new year. But i would advice setting a resolution which you can actually keep, perhaps you choose to finish a portrait of your immediate family, well set a date to have it finished by. Make sure you keep it in mind, stick a note on your fridge. When you choose your resolution make sure it is relevent, something that you really want to do as well as need to do. Happy New Year.

Yours indefinitely,

Ask The Elf

The Queen Lana (Lana)

HogwartsMonthlyEditor

HogwartsMonthlyEditor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:27 pm

New Year's Resolutions Event Recap
By Andrew Adler, Staff Writer

Hello everyone, Gryffindor Prefect Andrew Adler here to recap the latest event HPGoG held: The New Years' Resolutions. This event was an extraordinary event. There was a chance to win 10,000 gold, by rping as one of 20 canon Harry Potter Series characters on the list, ten good and bad, muggleborn, to half-blood, pure blood to non-human were the characters and everyone was invited to partake from staff, student, and house elf. The event included a role play where you headed off to Diagon Alley to participate in the Weird Sisters' Wrockin' New Years' Eve Bash hosted by Gilderoy Lockhart, and with multiple guests. There were four students who attended the event in Diagon Alley all had a blast exploring and celebrating the New Year Wizard style.

I even had help from my family house elf, Oshen, who took over the event once I had to return to the express to act as prefect for the return trip to Hogwarts. Oshen had no problems, just one student wanted to slip out his reach but the students had portkeys planted on them to return them to the school when the event ended, safely. Oshen was glad to help and will be available shall Andrew need his assistance again he told me today.

In regards to the contest we had a great turn out for a in between term event six students submitted resolutions. We had James Telmar as the Dark Lord, Lana Amina as Bellatrix Lestrange, Jennifer Jason as Hermione Granger, Ambria as Remus Lupin , Fred as Harry Potter , and Abbaye as Neville Longbottom. All the submission were great. Judge 1 said "zthank you to all zee contestants. I am so happy to mention that zere are very creative members here. I loved all zee resolutions zat I have zeen. I know there can only be a zingle winner but zey are all worthy." Judge 2 declined comment to this reporter. Judge 3 on the other hand said "Beautiful, well thought out resolutions. They all seemed to rhythmically flow, just like a song..." and the final judge had this to say "I thought everyone did an amazing job."

The judges conversed and had a tally and the winner was found out to be one Ms. Lana Amina as Bellatrix Lestrange; according to the judges she won by a slim victory.
The event was a great one and one that I, Andrew Adler, was very pleased to host with the permission of Headmaster Adonis, Head Elf Alicia, and the Modsqaud.

Oshenukhar

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:38 pm

Remember when....
By Amber Moonshade

User Image

If you cannot see the image, please click here.

Stardust Disaster

HogwartsMonthlyEditor

HogwartsMonthlyEditor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:48 pm

Wiggardium Leviosa, Stupefy, Ekeltricity, Felix Felicis, Mandrakes and more!
By Andrew Adler, Staff Writer

Now is the time for students to crack the covers of the textbooks again. Classes have once again resumed and there are a few new teachers this term and a few veterans as well. This reporter was only able to contact the Muggle Studies Professor for an interview.

Professor Millecent, came to Hogwarts last term as Muggles Studies professor by way of the French Magic School known as Beauxbaton. She is an expert in the field of muggle studies who worked at the Ministry of Magic in the Misuse of Muggle Artifacts Office prior to teaching at Hogwarts. Here is what she had to say:

Reporter: "What do you like about teaching versus working at the Ministry?"
Professor: "I enjoy seeing the students understand the subject matter and being hands on, while at the ministry I was not a field agent I worked the desks and never got to be hands on with the work."
Reporter: "I see, so do you enjoy teaching here at Hogwarts, rival to your Alma Matter?"
Professor: "Yes, as an adult the rivalry is friendly, yet still fierce but if there were a competition, like the Triwizard Tournament I would be routing for the Hogwarts Champion as I work for the school."
Reporter: "That is very good to hear. As a student who is not studying Muggles, wanting a career in Journalism instead, what can you say to me that would make me interested in taking your class?"
Professor: "I would say that in Journalism you have to report on Muggles occasionally and you want to be able to have at least the basic knowledge of them to be able to accurately report on them and I can teach you that in Muggle Studies. I am also striving to get Beginning Level Muggle Studies to be a requirement here at Hogwarts, it pays to understand the non-magical world."
Reporter: " that is a very interesting argument, Thank you for your time, Professor."

The classes commenced Jan 24th and will be ending March 11, 2011 this term is a short term because of staffing changes at the school, said a Hogwarts Spokes-wizard. Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry is always seeking new professors; interested individuals need to check with Headmaster Professor Adonis, and in the Staff Room.

Oshenukhar

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:50 pm

Wizard/Witch of the Month

This month's honor as Wizard of the Month goes to tealflower1928!

Every once in awhile, HPGoG accepts a member into the guild that ends up being a superstar. Tealflower1928 (aka Ambria or Reagan) is one of those guild superstars! Since joining the guild, she's made a big impact as an avid roleplayer, a frequent poster in Heard it in the Hallway, and much more! She currently has 460 posts! Recently, Ambria was awarded the Top Student Award for Gryffindor! Did I mention she's also a member of the newly formed HPGoG Task Force?
Because many members stepped up in January the final decision was a bit difficult for the Mod Squad. Nonetheless, if you read my interview with our dear Ambria, you'll see that she's the perfect choice for this Member of the Month!

*´¨)
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•` ¤ tealflower1928
User Image

Q: Have you read all the HP books? How many times?
A:Yes, 1st once, 2nd once, 3rd 4 times, 4th once, 5th twice, 6th once, and 7th 4 times.
Q: Which is your favorite?
A:The 3rd and 7th are my favorites, the 3rd because Sirius Black is in it as well as Remus, and the 7th because of the epicness of the whole thing.
Q: Have you seen any of the movies based on the books, if so which ones? Name your favorite!
A: Yes i have seen them all. My favorites again corresponded with my favorite books. For mostly the same reason except I must add that the features and actors/actresses were amazing.
Q: What is your favorite book or author? Besides Harry/J.K.?

A:Well I am a total bookworm so i have plenty of favorites, to name a few series Vampire Academy, Vampire Diaries, The House Of Night, The Immortals, Warriors, The Clique, The Alphas, Jack Sparrow, and Narnia.For authors I like Shel Silverstein, and Charles Dickerson.
Q: Do you have a favorite character from J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter books? Who is it? (it's fine if you have more than one, I know I do)
A:Yes I do. 1. Luna Lovegood. 2. Sirius Black. 3. Severus Snape.
Q: What are your other interests/hobbies?
A: I love to do any anything where i get to use my creative abilities.Such as writing, drawing, acting, dancing,singing, designing, sewing, painting, ect.
Q: How did you find out about Gaia?
A:One of my friends showed me it and i got hooked.
Q: What's your favorite thing to do on Gaia? Outside of Gaia?
A:On gaia i like to get on my guilds. Off gaia its always spur of the moment and never planned to the t with me. So you never know. Though you will often catch me reading.
Q: Are you in any other guilds? Are you as active in those?
A: Yes i have 4 other guilds and dont stay nearly as active in them as I do this one.
Q: How often would you say you are on Gaia? In HPGoG?
A:If you add it up at least 4 hours a week and all of those are spent on guilds or questing so at leat 3 hours 45min out of it would be at hpgog.
Q: Was Gryffindor your first choice for House? Why or why not?
A:No, I was actually leaning toward Slytherin, I have grown to love Gryffindor .but i still love Slytherin all the seem. I love people that are misunderstood or marked as "bad seeds" because they mostly arnt.
What do you like most about your House? There's no wrong answer here!
A:Our past to be honest. The history of Gryffindor is great.
Q: I've checked and it seems you joined the guild Sunday, Sep 26, 2010 9:59 am EST. In four months, you've achieved a lot. What would you say has been your best experience has been so far?
A:Halloween for sure! That was so much fun, it must have taken a lot of work to put that together, but i completely appreciate it.
Q: What do you like most about HPGoG? Is there anything in particular you're looking forward to (in HPGoG)?

A:The people are awesome and I,m really looking forward to valentines -Day.
Q: You recently won Top Student Award for Gryffindor! Did you find this surprising? And do you think you could do it again? Why or why not?
A: Yes it was very surprising considering I had only gotten into Gryffindor 3 months earlier! If i keep it up, it is very plausible that i may be able to get that award again, but it might be harder to do this semester.
Q: You also recently became one of the first members of the Task Squad. What made you want to join? Anything in particular that you are excited to help out with?
A:I wanted to join to be able to help make a difference in the guild. I am very excited to be doing a event for Valentines- Day that is if its approved.
Q: Lastly, is there anything else you want to tell the members of the guild? Tell them something, anything!

A: I am 14, writing two books and a lot of poetry, am great at math science la and history. I am super artsy and love sports, except football and wrestling. That is about it. smile

IceeWitch and Stardust Disaster

HogwartsMonthlyEditor

HogwartsMonthlyEditor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:52 pm

Just for Fun!

How many goal posts are there on a Quidditch pitch?
What birthday does Harry celebrate in the first book?
Where was the boa constrictor going when Harry let him out at the zoo?
What creatures feed on positive human emotions?
What number bank vault contains the Sorcerer's Stone at Gringotts?
Who took offense to the symbol Xenophillius LoveGood's wore?
How many fouls are there in Quidditch?
What was Lee Jordans handle on the radio?
Who enjoys a lively game of head juggle?
How many times was Nearly Headless Nick axed in the neck?
Who notices Harry's scar first?
Who is the Hogworts school flying teacher?
What do ghosts do on their Death Day?
What did Rita Skeeter turn into to obtain information at Hogwarts?
Who was teasing Moaning Myrtle about her glasses just before she died?
How much did Arthur Weasley win in the Daily Prophet Grand Prize Galleon Draw?

Answers to the previous Trivia Section

What is Harry's middle name? (James)
What is the total number of the Molly Weasley's Children? (Seven)
How Old is Professor Mcgonagall? (70)
In what year will Dennis Creevey be in the 7th book? (fourth year)
When shouting out their attributes to the Veela, what did Stan Shunpike say he was going to become? (Youngest Minister of Magic)
What is the password to the prefects' bathroom? (Pine Fresh)
What shape does Hermione's Patronus take? (An otter)
What gift did Harry receive from Hermione for Christmas during their first year? (A box of chocolate frogs)
What M.O.M Classification does the Lethifold or Living Shroud have?(5X's)
Which insect is contained in the components of Fizzing Whizzbees? (Billywig)
What is Albus' brothers name? (Aberthorth)
What is Voldermorts mothers name? (Marvolo)
What is Albus Dumbeldore stand for? (White Bumbelbee)
What is Albus' middle names? (Percival, Wulfric and Brian)
Who causes Hermione's teeth to grow smaller? (Madam Pomfrey shrinks Hermiones teeth after she is attacked by Draco's spell.)

The Queen Lana (Lana)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:53 pm

Note from the Editor:

The HM has returned from it's temporary hiatus. Thanks to all those that helped out. This issue, like those before it, could not have been completed without you guys! Special thanks to Oshenukhar, The Queen Lana, and Stardust Disaster because they were the biggest help!
Now on a bittersweet note, our beloved Avatar34 recently resigned her position as Editor of the Hogwarts Monthly. She will be greatly missed. Now the HM is an important part of our guild and its history... so we cannot let it die. I live a BEYOND busy real life and Gaia/HPGoG life, so I cannot personally hold the Editor position. With that said, if you are interested in applying for the HM Editor position, please let me know ASAP! I will give you more information! General details can be found here.
Finally, even if you're not interested in the Editor position, you can still help out with the Hogwarts Monthly. All you have to do is click here and read. We always need writers. The HM is a lot of work, but the more help the Editor and staff receive, the easier it is for everyone. That way, not only are we ALL happy on the first of each month, but we're ALL also a lot less stressed out.
I helped restart the HM and it's been a full year since then! I hope we can all keep the tradition going, but if that means ME doing most of the work (when I do loads of other things), I'm afraid it won't last long.
kk that's all.

IceeWitch

HogwartsMonthlyEditor

HogwartsMonthlyEditor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:54 pm

╰☆╮╰☆╮╰☆╮╰☆╮╰☆╮╰☆╮╰☆╮╰☆╮╰☆╮

Hogwarts Monthly Staff

IceeWitch ( Temporary Editor)
Stardust Disaster
The Queen Lana
tealflower1928
Oshenukhar

Want to work on the next issue or comment on the paper?
Get in here!

╰☆╮╰☆╮╰☆╮╰☆╮╰☆╮╰☆╮╰☆╮╰☆╮╰☆╮

Harry Potter Guild of Gaia

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... 24 25 26 27 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games