Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Worst Things You Can Ever Say As A Pagan Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 145 146 147 148 149 150 ... 227 228 229 230 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:20 am
Recursive Paradox
Deoridhe
I think this is the "god as pokemon" phenomena, where really the desire for being pagan is not to be religious but to feel like one has control over powerful forces.

Your choice of words for these topics always makes my day better in every way, no matter what the context. XD

Loki, evolve to Bound-Loki!!!!!!
...s**t, this is not an improvement.

*pours Loki a drink*

Recursive Paradox
I wouldn't necessarily say that all instances of such an attitude (avoiding following or surrendering) would end in a lack of teamwork or community. I would imagine it would be based on the degree that one is adverse to following and that surrendering itself has a lot less of an impact on that overall.

This is all from my experiences in different cultural contexts.

There are lots of ways to establish and maintain cultural groups. Most of them have, for emergency situations or crisis, some sort of power structure. Some have that power structure even in times of calm. The power is often representative of who can get who to listen, act in accordance with, etc...

It is possible to have a group with multiple people who want to run things, but there will almost always be circumstances where they are at loggerheads and one or the other must yield or sacrifice the relationship to not changing.

Now, I speak as someone who doesn't like to be in charge, but who has been in charge due to circumstances several times. I actually find being the support layer more powerful than the leader layer due to the ability to smooth out difficulties and repair relationships. But this is a connective power, and part of my persuasive ability actually comes from my willingness to follow the lead of other people.

This time of power has been labeled "female" and "manipulative" and is often scorned by people in the contemporary Western Culture of the US. It is also not a very direct power, and ....this gets into really complex feminist thepry I'm not up for getting into tonight, but if you are interested I shall try at a later date.

Recursive Paradox
I was about to use my path as an example but it may be a horrible one because it firmly admits that we are just very tiny plankton in a very large ocean filled with giant moon sized sharks. Such does not give much of a sense of control... sweatdrop

Heh. I see your religion is like mine. A lot of the older religions have the sense of "small fish in big pond," in my experience.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:59 am
Deoridhe
Recursive Paradox
Deoridhe
I think this is the "god as pokemon" phenomena, where really the desire for being pagan is not to be religious but to feel like one has control over powerful forces.

Your choice of words for these topics always makes my day better in every way, no matter what the context. XD

Loki, evolve to Bound-Loki!!!!!!
...s**t, this is not an improvement.

*pours Loki a drink*

YHVH's evolution hardly wants to battle at all anymore. He lost all his brimstone skills and now just has heal and resurrect. XD

Quote:

This is all from my experiences in different cultural contexts.

There are lots of ways to establish and maintain cultural groups. Most of them have, for emergency situations or crisis, some sort of power structure. Some have that power structure even in times of calm. The power is often representative of who can get who to listen, act in accordance with, etc...

It is possible to have a group with multiple people who want to run things, but there will almost always be circumstances where they are at loggerheads and one or the other must yield or sacrifice the relationship to not changing.

This is true. And there are some structural laws in Etherism (under the laws of mutual respect) that establish structure for leadership of multiple types in situations where banding together is a necessity (Laws of Alliance are mostly the ones that deal with that)

Quote:
Now, I speak as someone who doesn't like to be in charge, but who has been in charge due to circumstances several times. I actually find being the support layer more powerful than the leader layer due to the ability to smooth out difficulties and repair relationships. But this is a connective power, and part of my persuasive ability actually comes from my willingness to follow the lead of other people.

XD You operate very similarly to me in that respect. I also find that the support layer has a lot more control over the fine details of the overall goals. Most primary zone leaders really only have control over the primary target and goal and also act as sort of a front point for the group, communicating those goals for the surface.

I wouldn't necessarily say figurehead, because that's a bit of a downplay of the importance of providing that public source of information, but that lack of touch to the fine details does seem to limit the amount of control they have in comparison to the amount most think they have.

There's not a lot the President can do in America in reality. XD

Quote:
This time of power has been labeled "female" and "manipulative" and is often scorned by people in the contemporary Western Culture of the US. It is also not a very direct power, and ....this gets into really complex feminist thepry I'm not up for getting into tonight, but if you are interested I shall try at a later date.

I'm sure I'm at the very least acquainted with the theory in question. We can definitely discuss it at a later point.

Quote:
Recursive Paradox
I was about to use my path as an example but it may be a horrible one because it firmly admits that we are just very tiny plankton in a very large ocean filled with giant moon sized sharks. Such does not give much of a sense of control... sweatdrop

Heh. I see your religion is like mine. A lot of the older religions have the sense of "small fish in big pond," in my experience.

The difference being that Etherism is very very new (8 years at most, 3~5 of those were pre religion construct in research). So it definitely doesn't fit the modus operandi of a lot of newer pagan paths in providing comfort in a big scary world. It just tells you that, hey, guess what, the world is far bigger and far more scary than you ever imagined and omg you are so totally ******** if you aren't careful and really smart.

The fluffies find my religion terrifying and thankfully want no part of it. XD  

Recursive Paradox

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:29 am
Recursive Paradox
Not enough sugar and spice in it. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:46 pm
TeaDidikai
Recursive Paradox

In my world, sugar and spice sprout teeth and then they eat you. XD  

Recursive Paradox

Collowrath

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:40 pm
Recursive Paradox
TeaDidikai
Recursive Paradox

If Greek mythology has taught us anything, it's that following something because it's pretty gets you turned into a stag and ripped apart by dogs.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:51 pm
Collowrath
Recursive Paradox
TeaDidikai
Recursive Paradox

If Greek mythology has taught us anything, it's that following something because it's pretty gets you turned into a stag and ripped apart by dogs.

Or a pretty crown of laurels! Unless that is unique to the Roman mythos?  

Aino Ailill

Nines19

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:51 pm
Collowrath
Recursive Paradox
TeaDidikai
Recursive Paradox

I thought this was the "Worst things you could say as a pagan" thread.
ninja  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:55 am
Nines19
Collowrath
Recursive Paradox
TeaDidikai
Recursive Paradox

ninja

XD Oops.  

Recursive Paradox

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:13 am
Recursive Paradox
TeaDidikai
Recursive Paradox

In my culture, this really only happened when people ignored how dangerous something could be.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:33 am
Nines19
ninja

ninja

TeaDidikai
In my culture, this really only happened when people ignored how dangerous something could be.

This seems to be a common feature in folklore. "Remember your place!"

Any thoughts on why modern interpretations of such often leave out such "negative" qualities in favor of something happy and cute?  

Collowrath

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:18 pm
Collowrath
This seems to be a common feature in folklore. "Remember your place!"
Or "Remember what you are dealing with."
In a fair bit of folktales within my tradition, people are eaten not for mistreating other beings, but because they forgot that what they were dealing with wasn't human.

Quote:
Any thoughts on why modern interpretations of such often leave out such "negative" qualities in favor of something happy and cute?
Because "negative" = messy.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:51 pm
TeaDidikai
Recursive Paradox
TeaDidikai
Recursive Paradox

Seems to be a common theme. I wouldn't say Etherism is an exception. XD  

Recursive Paradox

whiporwill-o

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:57 pm
Quote:
Oh you must be one of those people who believe that only initiates into a coven can be true wiccans. I don't agree with your kind.

this is from another guild i am in....  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:58 pm
whiporwill-o
Quote:
Oh you must be one of those people who believe that only initiates into a coven can be true wiccans. I don't agree with your kind.

Yea, I was thinking of throwing this into this thread as well.
I wish I had a machine that would allow me to punch people through the Internet.  

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:03 pm
Violet Song jat Shariff
whiporwill-o
Quote:

Yea, I was thinking of throwing this into this thread as well.
I wish I had a machine that would allow me to punch people through the Internet.
Shocking them electrically is more likely.

Myself? I would of posted a revision to their position. Strike "your kind", substitute Objective Reality.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 145 146 147 148 149 150 ... 227 228 229 230 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games