Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Worst Things You Can Ever Say As A Pagan Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 143 144 145 146 147 148 ... 227 228 229 230 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

rmcdra

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:16 am
scorplett
Sorry rmcdra, I'm a little lost as to your edit... though still, I'm enjoying the discussion biggrin

I haven't read the open source but basing off of my personal experience, one's actions affects the person causing the action physically, mentally(since this is what I consider to be emotional), and spiritually.

This is what I meant.

I realize that I was only considering my particular belief system which puts heavy emphasis on looking inward and being orthodoxy (albeit a heretical one) when I made my remark. I forgot that there are other systems of transformation and different emphasis on one's self and the world in which one interacts with varying degrees (or none) of orthodoxy and orthopraxy. I was stating that there was some ignorance in my remark and you provided a new incite I had not considered.

I'm enjoying our discussion too biggrin  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:23 am
rmcdra
scorplett
Sorry rmcdra, I'm a little lost as to your edit... though still, I'm enjoying the discussion biggrin

I haven't read the open source but basing off of my personal experience, one's actions affects the person causing the action physically, mentally(since this is what I consider to be emotional), and spiritually.

This is what I meant.

I realize that I was only considering my particular belief system which puts heavy emphasis on looking inward and being orthodoxy (albeit a heretical one) when I made my remark. I forgot that there are other systems of transformation and different emphasis on one's self and the world in which one interacts with varying degrees (or none) of orthodoxy and orthopraxy. I was stating that there was some ignorance in my remark and you provided a new incite I had not considered.

I'm enjoying our discussion too biggrin

Ahh, I get you now... Thanks for that!

Though it seems that even without having read the open source material that I have previously pointed to, the concepts and principles are capable of discussion on their own merit...

This makes me happy biggrin  

scorplett

Blessed Regular

6,600 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:06 pm
scorplett

Though it seems that even without having read the open source material that I have previously pointed to, the concepts and principles are capable of discussion on their own merit...
I could have sworn in times past you were very much against people using Open Source BOSs.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:10 pm
Hindu Swami from Trinidad:

"In a sense, our dharma and the way to God is like a cafeteria. Some people detach from the world, some do pooja, some sing. There's a lot of way to reach God. "

Now, I understand being that he probably doesn't realize what he said, but I had a " gonk " moment the minute he said that.  

Wrath of Ezekiel

5,350 Points
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

scorplett

Blessed Regular

6,600 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:11 pm
TeaDidikai
scorplett

I could have sworn in times past you were very much against people using Open Source BOSs.

That's a fence for me.
I believe someone else had said similar before.

It's not apropriate to take everything in it as utter fact, or to take it as a true BoS or an accurate one. However, I have said before, that for argument and public academic discussion, I see it as apropriate reference material.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:27 pm
scorplett
rmcdra
scorplett
Aino Ailill

I don't understand why it is 'three fold,' though. Is the action repeated three times?

Yes, it is an action done once. And then in return, the same action is returned three fold.

I guess from that people might be able to figure out from open source what I might be pointing to.
I read the open source but basing off of my personal experience, one's actions affects the person causing the action physically, mentally(since this is what I consider to be emotional), and spiritually.

Edit: Clarity

yes, that is true. These things do effect an individual on numerous levels. And I suppose on one level of consideration, this could indeed be considered threefold return, however it does not nescessarily follow that such an effect is true outside of such contexts.
The interesting thing with the rite in question, is that it is not only the active performance that creates such a reaction. If it is understood that with such role reversal the reciever of the three already understands it's nature, that nature is evoked within them as the active participant begins to reluctantly follow through in providing three times the number.
The emotional/mental reaction is far greater than that of the physical action. The spiritual reaction and subsequent understanding is reliant on the orthopraxic effect happening.
I guess I can kind of relate to this in my personal initiation into the Light but there were some differences. I think that it might be my lack of understanding regarding orthopraxy, though I am growing more aware of it's value. What led to my initiation into the Light involved objects that I recognized as being Holy, these Holy objects set in a way that I could recognize as Holy, and how these objects related to me as having an "inner holiness". At the end of my ritual I had an experience that affected me physically, emotionally, and spiritually. I saw a literal Light and it was like all the knowledge of the universe dumped into me for a split second. There was a wide mixture of emotions that I hadn't felt since I was a small child.

Though I wasn't thinking about the Law of Three at the time when I had performed this, and I could possibly be conforming my ritual to the Law of Three. If you feel that I am, please feel free to point that out. Also I do respect that some of the stuff you know is oathbound so I'm not expecting any sharing of your personal experiences. I just choose to share mine since I can and felt it would be relevant to this discussion in how I would understand the Law of Three if it was explicitly in my system.  

rmcdra

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150

Nines19

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:22 am
"I worship the Norse gods, but I thank Apollo for my writing talent."

A paraphrase, but it made me cringe and then call troll.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:29 am
Nines19

Hey man, I know he's a troll and pretty shitty at that but hey... Not all of us fit comfortably into one pantheon. xp  

Collowrath

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:12 pm
Collowrath

Hey man, I know he's a troll and pretty shitty at that but hey... Not all of us fit comfortably into one pantheon. xp
But you wouldn't suggest that Apollo gave you the Elder Futhark either. wink  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:43 pm
TeaDidikai
Collowrath

Gods no! I just meant it as a disclaimer - it wouldn't be wrong for someone to worship from more than one pantheon if they're doing so reasonably and consistently.  

Collowrath

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:04 pm
Collowrath
TeaDidikai
Collowrath

Gods no! I just meant it as a disclaimer - it wouldn't be wrong for someone to worship from more than one pantheon if they're doing so reasonably and consistently.
Well that's more than fair.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:10 pm
Nines19

Not necessarily troll, but it does suggest ignorance of both Odin and Saga.

One of the problems that crops up again and again in modern paganism, though, is a belief that each god has a designation of influence, moves nowhere beyond it, and different pantheons cover different ground - so instead of forming relationships with individual gods, people play games of "fill in the blank" with the first god labeled with an area of influence they can think of.  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:15 pm
Deoridhe
Nines19

One of the problems that crops up again and again in modern paganism, though, is a belief that each god has a designation of influence, moves nowhere beyond it, and different pantheons cover different ground - so instead of forming relationships with individual gods, people play games of "fill in the blank" with the first god labeled with an area of influence they can think of.
Which of course leads to much Culture Rape.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:17 pm
TeaDidikai
Deoridhe
Nines19

Which of course leads to much Culture Rape.

Oh yes. And a curious defensiveness when called on it, in my experience. I think this is the "god as pokemon" phenomena, where really the desire for being pagan is not to be religious but to feel like one has control over powerful forces.  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:56 pm
Deoridhe

Oh yes. And a curious defensiveness when called on it, in my experience. I think this is the "god as pokemon" phenomena, where really the desire for being pagan is not to be religious but to feel like one has control over powerful forces.
Yeah.
How often would you guess this is a function of reaction to parent faiths in developing autonomy?  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 143 144 145 146 147 148 ... 227 228 229 230 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games