Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Worst Things You Can Ever Say As A Pagan Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 142 143 144 145 146 147 ... 227 228 229 230 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

scorplett

Blessed Regular

6,600 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:26 am
A couple of people asked me for translations of some of the above conversations... If your interested, PM or IM me, it's not a problem.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:07 pm
Here's a phrase I've got --

"Great news, guys! I've got a ton of Wicca stuff for Christmas!"

I don't know... just struck me as funny. XD

starpocalypse

Tipsy Gekko

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:24 pm
City Dreamer
Here's a phrase I've got --

"Great news, guys! I've got a ton of Wicca stuff for Christmas!"

I don't know... just struck me as funny. XD
For lots of folks, Christmas is a cultural tradition, over a religious one.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:27 pm
True. n_n' When did it ever start being that way? o-o

starpocalypse

Tipsy Gekko

starpocalypse

Tipsy Gekko

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:29 pm
Ever since reading this thread... I've been wondering.

What's this 3x law?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:34 pm
City Dreamer
When did it ever start being that way? o-o
That would depend on the person. For my family, it was always that way. Baba brought her social issues from the Old World to the US and raised her children, their children and their children's children (~ahem~) that way.  

TeaDidikai

starpocalypse

Tipsy Gekko

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:36 pm
Ahh, I see now. n_n'' Seems so obvious... ._.

For me, there's a ton of religious things incorporated into my Christmas... even when it shouldn't. -sigh- Like once, when I went to a Christmas party, my mom came along and couldn't help but comment as to why there was no sign of Jesus at the party except for the 'Christ' in Christmas.

=_=

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:36 pm
City Dreamer
Ever since reading this thread... I've been wondering.

What's this 3x law?
Commonly it's assumed to mean that whatever you do will come back to you three times over. Scorplett has suggested this isn't accurate, and Kudzu has suggested that the context is that it will effect you in three spectrum of your life. I can't recall which words she used. Mental, emotional, physical or some such.  

TeaDidikai

starpocalypse

Tipsy Gekko

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:37 pm
TeaDidikai
Commonly it's assumed to mean that whatever you do will come back to you three times over. Scorplett has suggested this isn't accurate, and Kudzu has suggested that the context is that it will effect you in three spectrum of your life. I can't recall which words she used. Mental, emotional, physical or some such.

Ahh, that says a lot. n_n Thanks!

lol it reminds me of this Nova episode where they said that alternate realities exist. Being a huge sci-fi fan, I'd like to think they do. XD

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:37 pm
scorplett
Aino Ailill
scorplett
Aino Ailill
scorplett

Heck, it doesn't even apply to me unless I'm performing one of two different rituals!

Could you elaborate on this? My understanding (which, granted, is primarily from fiction sources like Charmed x.x) of the Law of Three is that it is constant. As in, that it is always happening for every action. Should they be 'good,' then good is returned plus some. Should it be 'bad,' then bad is returned plus some.

The threefold rule/law, at least in actual Wicca, is nothing more than a ritual contrivance. That is not to mean it is not important however, it is incredibly important!

In some instances it has been removed from all context and therefore has lost it's intended meaning and function, or perhaps it would be more correct to say, it's intended outcome or result.

There are two rituals within Wicca which make reference or use of the threefold rule. One is direct, and is part of one of the initiation rituals. The other is a ritual drama which is required to understand the mystery that the initiation arouses.

The threefold law is an action within ritual. It is an orthopraxic action, placed in a specific ritual context in order to bring about a specific result.

The concept of the threefold law having something to do with a law of return is something that I believe has been a elaborated and decontextualized construction of eclectic neopagan witchcraft. It may be the case that some initiates have contemplated a law of return as a result of the threefold rule, however it is not taught as a fundamental principal of ethics of Wicca. It can cause an ethical inner dialogue for the initiate as they process their experiences, that's up to the individual.
As a result of the threefold rule, many Wiccans will develop a concept of return, consequence or similar. However, it is not return by three, the three part is only relevant to ritual.

Thank you so much!

Your welcome!

I take it that means I made some sense then? At least enough to be understood on some level?

Indeed. Or, at least, I believe so. I'll summarize and you can tell me if I'm off base, if you would:

The Threefold Law is something that is not intended to multiply the 'good' or 'bad,' or just energy in general, by three but rather an action that is utilized within two specific rituals in order to help bring understanding in one and, in the other, has another purpose (which I am not certain of). Erm, within the Wiccan trad. And individuals might add onto the meaning for themselves.

Assuming I'm correct:

I don't understand why it is 'three fold,' though. Is the action repeated three times?  

Aino Ailill

scorplett

Blessed Regular

6,600 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:28 am
Aino Ailill

I don't understand why it is 'three fold,' though. Is the action repeated three times?

Yes, it is an action done once. And then in return, the same action is returned three fold.

I guess from that people might be able to figure out from open source what I might be pointing to.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:32 am
scorplett
Aino Ailill

Yes, it is an action done once. And then in return, the same action is returned three fold.

I guess from that people might be able to figure out from open source what I might be pointing to.
I read the open source but basing off of my personal experience, one's actions affects the person causing the action physically, mentally(since this is what I consider to be emotional), and spiritually.

Edit: Clarity  

rmcdra

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150

scorplett

Blessed Regular

6,600 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:55 am
rmcdra
scorplett
Aino Ailill

I read the open source but basing off of my personal experience, one's actions affects the person causing the action physically, mentally(since this is what I consider to be emotional), and spiritually.

yes, that is true. These things do effect an individual on numerous levels. And I suppose on one level of consideration, this could indeed be considered threefold return, however it does not nescessarily follow that such an effect is true outside of such contexts.
The interesting thing with the rite in question, is that it is not only the active performance that creates such a reaction. If it is understood that with such role reversal the reciever of the three already understands it's nature, that nature is evoked within them as the active participant begins to reluctantly follow through in providing three times the number.
The emotional/mental reaction is far greater than that of the physical action. The spiritual reaction and subsequent understanding is reliant on the orthopraxic effect happening.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:58 am
scorplett
rmcdra
scorplett
Aino Ailill

yes, that is true. These things do effect an individual on numerous levels. And I suppose on one level of consideration, this could indeed be considered threefold return, however it does not nescessarily follow that such an effect is true outside of such contexts.
The interesting thing with the rite in question, is that it is not only the active performance that creates such a reaction. If it is understood that with such role reversal the reciever of the three already understands it's nature, that nature is evoked within them as the active participant begins to reluctantly follow through in providing three times the number.
The emotional/mental reaction is far greater than that of the physical action. The spiritual reaction and subsequent understanding is reliant on the orthopraxic effect happening.
Oops! I forgot the "not" part. "I haven't read" was what I meant. I was purely going off of experience here. I didn't mean to imply differently. Also I was interpreting it within my belief system, rather than any particular system. Forgive my presumptuousness there.  

rmcdra

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150

scorplett

Blessed Regular

6,600 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:07 am
Sorry rmcdra, I'm a little lost as to your edit... though still, I'm enjoying the discussion biggrin  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 142 143 144 145 146 147 ... 227 228 229 230 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games