Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
In a bad mood? come here and rant till you feel better Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 142 143 144 145 146 147 ... 292 293 294 295 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

will you sticky this? (for Nuri only)
  Yes
  NO
  who are you?
View Results

Bastemhet

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:18 pm

Collowrath

Semitic, actually. I made a typo. Egyptian language is very much in the same family as Aramaic, Arabic, and Hebrew. =)

I believe current research by linguist Théophile Obenga shows that kemetic language is far closer to African languages than Semitic language(s?). I wish I knew where my book was to give details, but I can't find it. For now I invite you to check this out.

At the UNESCO world summit on Egypt (I wish I could give you a date, but it's in my missing text) I'm pretty sure they thought his evidence was conclusive, but I'll have to get back to you to be sure.

Edit: The book I'm referring to is "Egypt Revisited" 2nd ed., edited by Ivan Van Sertima.

Edit 2: I might be wrong, could be Cheikh Anta Diop rather than Obenga.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:25 pm

Sophist
Collowrath

Semitic, actually. I made a typo. Egyptian language is very much in the same family as Aramaic, Arabic, and Hebrew. =)

I believe current research by linguist Théophile Obenga shows that kemetic language is far closer to African languages than Semitic language(s?). I wish I knew where my book was to give details, but I can't find it. For now I invite you to check this out.

At the UNESCO world summit on Egypt (I wish I could give you a date, but it's in my missing text) I'm pretty sure they thought his evidence was conclusive, but I'll have to get back to you to be sure.

Edit: The book I'm referring to is "Egypt Revisited" 2nd ed., edited by Ivan Van Sertima.

Semitic languages are common in North-Eastern Africa, all the way down to Somalia. That wouldn't rule out any influence from non-Semitic sources, but as far as I've ever seen, Ancient Egyptian consonantal roots follow a distinct Semitic pattern. I'll look through the sources as soon as I have time to actually concentrate on them. smile

Collowrath

Bastemhet

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:26 pm

Collowrath
Sophist
Collowrath

Semitic languages are common in North-Eastern Africa, all the way down to Somalia. That wouldn't rule out any influence from non-Semitic sources, but as far as I've ever seen, Ancient Egyptian consonantal roots follow a distinct Semitic pattern. I'll look through the sources as soon as I have time to actually concentrate on them. smile

I would love to see them. It would prove for an interesting read.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:32 pm

Sophist
Collowrath
Sophist
Collowrath

Most of it has been observation of hieroglyphic transcriptions - which is definitely colored by my knowledge of Arabic. There's a distinct chance that I'm seeing patterns that aren't necessarily there. stressed

I'll drudge something up soon - hopefully I can get a comparison chart between Egyptian and West-Semitic languages or something like that.

Collowrath

Bastemhet

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:36 pm

Collowrath
Sophist
Collowrath
Sophist
Collowrath

Most of it has been observation of hieroglyphic transcriptions - which is definitely colored by my knowledge of Arabic. There's a distinct chance that I'm seeing patterns that aren't necessarily there. stressed

I'll drudge something up soon - hopefully I can get a comparison chart between Egyptian and West-Semitic languages or something like that.

I looked around on the internetz to see what I could find and came across this post: http://boards.history.com/topic/Africa/Egyptian-A-Semitic/5200000007

I would really like to know if there is some veracity to the afrocentric argument. I wonder, why is it so difficult for people to come to a scientific consensus? To me, politics are not as important as truth. And it's also frustrating that I would have to learn some linguistics, look at semitic language and the Wolof language and see which are closer to Egyptian. *sigh*
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:41 pm

Sophist
I looked around on the internetz to see what I could find and came across this post: http://boards.history.com/topic/Africa/Egyptian-A-Semitic/5200000007

I would really like to know if there is some veracity to the afrocentric argument. I wonder, why is it so difficult for people to come to a scientific consensus? To me, politics are not as important as truth. And it's also frustrating that I would have to learn some linguistics, look at semitic language and the Wolof language and see which are closer to Egyptian. *sigh*

*shrug*

My own experience with the afrocentric movement near me leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

As I poke through, my statement about Egyptian being Semitic probably isn't completely accurate - it seems that the only thing people can agree on is that it was Afro-Asiatic, which would make it closely related to a handful of languages from Morocco to Iraq.

Collowrath

Celeblin Galadeneryn

Beloved Romantic

15,800 Points
  • Potion Disaster 50
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:55 pm

Collowrath
Sophist

*shrug*

My own experience with the afrocentric movement near me leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

As I poke through, my statement about Egyptian being Semitic probably isn't completely accurate - it seems that the only thing people can agree on is that it was Afro-Asiatic, which would make it closely related to a handful of languages from Morocco to Iraq.
I think I have to go with Sophist on this one. As ar as I know, Egyptian belongs in the former Hamitic group (the terminology is no longer used for a number of reasons including racism, and since it just included any non-Semitic Afro-Asiatic lanuage.) Since the term's no longer used, it is it's own category within Afro-Asiatic.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:00 pm

Celeblin Galadeneryn
Collowrath
Sophist

*shrug*

I think I have to go with Sophist on this one. As ar as I know, Egyptian belongs in the former Hamitic group (the terminology is no longer used for a number of reasons including racism, and since it just included any non-Semitic Afro-Asiatic lanuage.) Since the term's no longer used, it is it's own category within Afro-Asiatic.

I'm agreeing. My initial reaction (Egyptian as Semitic) was based on a surface similarity confused with using Semitic phonological models to reconstruct the pronunciations.

I was in the ball-park at least sweatdrop

Collowrath

Celeblin Galadeneryn

Beloved Romantic

15,800 Points
  • Potion Disaster 50
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:04 pm

Collowrath
Celeblin Galadeneryn
Collowrath
Sophist

*shrug*

I'm agreeing. My initial reaction (Egyptian as Semitic) was based on a surface similarity confused with using Semitic phonological models to reconstruct the pronunciations.

I was in the ball-park at least sweatdrop
Well, as it happens, I'm sure it would have similiaries the same way say, Spanish and Russian do. They aren't in the same language family, but the same super family, which can cause surprising similairities and differences.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:09 pm

Celeblin Galadeneryn
Well, as it happens, I'm sure it would have similiaries the same way say, Spanish and Russian do. They aren't in the same language family, but the same super family, which can cause surprising similairities and differences.

Probably more like German and Russian. Keep in mind the satem-centum split (I think that's what it's called).

I read a year or so ago arguing that Slavic languages were only Indo-European because of geographic location, but were more closely Indo-Iranian in development. I'm not sure of the accuracy of it though.

Collowrath

Nines19

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:40 pm

Stop yelling at me. I talked to him about it and he agreed to stop. You're the third person that's gotten on my a** about it - let it go.
-
You need to learn that when someone tells you to stop doing something to them, it means they want you to ******** stop. I love you, but that's a serious character flaw, and we've dealt with this before. Me telling you to stop doing one thing to me and my sister telling you to stop doing another thing to her are only different in who and what; "You're doing something I don't like and don't enjoy," is inherent in both.
I get that you joke around with people and that's how you and your friends interact, but she's not a 15 or 16 year old boy, she's 12 and not used to being made fun of in a friendly way by anyone but her sisters.
-
Why's it always me that gets stuck in the middle of s**t like this? Things are lovely for about a week and then they s**t up again.
I'm getting sick of it, and it's not helping my struggle to obey Agape, Man.
-
On the other hand, I stopped throwing up and got about 5/6 of a bottle of soda and half a bowl of soup down.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:43 pm

Sophist
Reine Lunaire, you might try taking some melatonin pills. They're over the counter and are sold as a dietary supplement rather than a drug. My boyfriend's psychiatrist prescribed them for him because when he had pronounced anxiety disorder he had trouble sleeping and these pills seemed to help. I also sometimes took them with him and I found my quality of sleep increased, i.e. I'm a light sleeper but when I took them I stayed asleep the entire time instead of waking up or tossing and turning every couple of hours. I think he stopped taking them either because they interfered with his depression or interfered with another medicine he was taking for depression, so do talk to a doctor about it before taking it.

Dx I can't take melatonin. I've had sleeping issues on and off for just about my whole life, and my mom's tried them on me before. I can't remember what exactly they did, maybe it was an allergy or something [I was much younger], but they're a big no-no in my house now. >.<

But this past year, my sleeping issues have reached an all-time-high.
I may ask my mom to contact my doctor about it-- It's really affecting me negatively.
Perhaps it's stress. I'm not generally a stressed person, so maybe this is what it's like for me to be truly stressed.

Ellisari

Celeblin Galadeneryn

Beloved Romantic

15,800 Points
  • Potion Disaster 50
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:15 pm

Collowrath
Celeblin Galadeneryn

Probably more like German and Russian. Keep in mind the satem-centum split (I think that's what it's called).

I read a year or so ago arguing that Slavic languages were only Indo-European because of geographic location, but were more closely Indo-Iranian in development. I'm not sure of the accuracy of it though.

Indo-Iranian IS Indo-European. If you belong to the first you belong to the second anyways.

Indo-European does not mean in Europe. Sanskrit is stil Indo-European. So even if they aren't Indo-Iranian, the argument is moot anyways.

Thought that argument sounds a little bunk. Are they trying to say that the Balto-Slavic groups belong under the Indo-Iranian group? I've seen people try to do this with the Armenian group, not Balto-Slavic. Or are they trying to say Indo-Iranian should be seperate, and Balto Slavic should go with them?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:53 pm

Oh yes. Calling me a slut and a smart a** is the same as me challenging your desire to have everything you say taken as gospel.

TeaDidikai

Aino Ailill

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:59 pm

I just got a 72 on a test I studied for. I can't afford a 'C' in this class! Argh.

For those who have been/are in college: For the 'office hours,' is it typically walk-in or schedule an appointment? My teacher posted e's office hours and said if anyone wasn't available during them, to schedule an appointment. I took that to mean that it was not necessary to schedule an appointment for the office hours. However, when I got to the assigned room, it had a seating chart with all of the seats filled.
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 142 143 144 145 146 147 ... 292 293 294 295 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games