Welcome to Gaia! ::

Harry Potter Slash Guild

Back to Guilds

HPSG is a guild for the discussion and pure love of all things Harry Potter and slash! Join us in support of your favorite pairing! 

Tags: Harry Potter, slash, Potter, femslash, Harry 

Reply Off Topic Discussion
Off- Topic Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 141 142 143 144 145 146 ... 163 164 165 166 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sirius Black-Snuffles
Captain

7,650 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Voter 100
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 4:10 am
Whoa! It is May Day! Didn't realize that. sweatdrop

I don't run around naked, but my mom has this May Pole thing that she makes us do every year.

So, something to look forward to after school...listening to my sister complain about wanting certain colors and shooing my dog off so no one trips over him while we do this thing.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 8:24 am
May Day Rites and Rituals

Because it was observed from the eve of April 30th into the day of May 1st, Beltane is also called May Day. Like Samhain, this is a time when the veils between the worlds are thin and Faerie Folk are thought to walk about. Some roots of these celebrations go back to the worship of the Roman goddess Flora, the goddess of flowers whose rites were marked each spring.

The weaving or dancing of a Maypole was a widespread part of May Day rituals. Dancing the Maypole is an ancient ceremony honoring the God/consort energy of creation. The pole itself could be permanent or cut and trimmed as part of the festivities. Long lengths of ribbon are fastened to the pole, with the free ends held by the dancers. The dancers form a circle around the pole, alternating male and female participants. Have every other person in the group face clockwise, the others face counterclockwise. Many groups alternate women and men around the circle. Some traditions note that women should wear circlets of spring flowers in their hair, and the men wear circlets of ivy. As the two circles turn, they pass their ribbons over the other dancers and duck under ribbons themselves. By weaving the ribbons in this over-and-under pattern a complex, multi-strand braid is woven down around the outside of the maypole. The more ribbons and more perfect the weave, the more auspicious the omen for bountiful spring and summer seasons.

At this time, the Wheel is turning from spring into summer. The God who was reborn at Yule is now Jack in the Green, a young man stepping into manhood. The Goddess is now transitioning from Maiden to Mother. The King and Queen of the May are the symbolic roles of the God and Goddess at this time and most ancient Beltane rituals involved encouraging fertility. To go "A-Maying" was when young men and women would spend the night in the woods together. Some ritual contexts also included allowing couples this one night to dally with others. Beltane is often when couples declare their intentions to handfast or marry at Summer Solstice. In addition to facilitating human partnerships, these rites also supposedly insured the fertility of the fields and orchards.

The gathering of fresh spring flowers was also ubiquitous with May Day. Flowers that evoke spring such as iris, daffodils, crocus, tulips, roses, p***y willow and flowering cherry branches all harken of spring. Supposedly this is the one day (May 1st only) when it is appropriate to bring hawthorn branches into the home. Floral incense such as lilac, jasmine, and rose are suggested for May Day rites.

Feasts included food with fresh grains, honey, and cheeses. Public celebrations included morris and sword dances, archery tournaments and large feasts. One Celtic traditions stipulates that food left over from May Eve feasting not be saved or eaten, but that it be buried or left outside afterwards as an offering to the faerie folk.

Ex-Professor Remus Lupin

Decadent Delirium

Heroic Entrepreneur

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 10:23 am
Moony knows his Celtic stuff. So do I, considering I follow the Celtic calendar rather than the Christian one when dealing with holidays. May Day's actually a huge thing at my college and people do run around "skyclad" or naked. Last night, though, police broke us up early. SO I'll see if I can get there tonight. ^_^ We use the flagpole as our maypole.  
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 1:17 pm
Here in Denmark, may day is all about politics, really. The politicians give speeches, bash the other parties... stuff like that. The teens and young people get drunk around 3pm when most politicians are more or less done talking. I've been to MD once when my mum was still an active member of politics. Thats 15-17 years ago...  

HellsBitch

Sirius Black-Snuffles
Captain

7,650 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Voter 100
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 2:36 pm
May Pole is complete (without tripping over the dog and complaints over who got the purple ribbon), and our dinner, though it's not fresh grain, honey and cheese (mom said she was going to make a roast, and you don't question mom's dinner plans) I have a feeling she's going to bury it outside.

She tried that two years ago, but the dogs found it. I asked her if we should even bother feeding them this year so my dog could eat it again with out getting bloated and sick, but apparently she has "a plan." So...it's slightly nerve racking.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 4:24 pm
New Jersey's not cool enough to celebrate may day *pouts*  

Orgazmic Coffdrop

Dapper Conversationalist

Decadent Delirium

Heroic Entrepreneur

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 4:59 pm
This is why I heart my college. heart heart heart heart heart.

^___^

May Day goes on again tonight. I've yet to decide whether I should strip, at least a little. *grins* Really depends on how drunk I get  
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 6:56 pm
I say go all the way if you can!  

Orgazmic Coffdrop

Dapper Conversationalist

Ex-Professor Remus Lupin

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 7:30 pm
So, Padfoot, love. Shall we go A-Maying?

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 7:40 pm
Yes, Moony, love. I think we shall. *takes Moony off to go A-Maying*  

Sirius Black-Snuffles
Captain

7,650 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Voter 100
  • Wall Street 200

Decadent Delirium

Heroic Entrepreneur

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 7:47 pm
Yay for A-MAYING  
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 3:24 am
*claps for A Maying*
Have you ever had something in your eye and you try to get it out but it just wont? Then, when you do get it out, usually by force, your eye twitches?  

Orgazmic Coffdrop

Dapper Conversationalist

Lunar_Blade

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 4:21 am
Man, Australia is ******** oblivious. Not a single mention of May Day at all.
Yay for faeries!
On a faerie related note, If any of you have heard of Amy Brown's Faerie art DO NOT SUPPORT HER. It is blatantly obvious taht her work is merely an imitation of Brian Frouds art to the point that you can overlay her art onto his and see not much of a difference.

As for A-Maying...
You are excused.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 7:27 am
Okay, now that may day is over, back to the mundane life... sigh  

Decadent Delirium

Heroic Entrepreneur

Ex-Professor Remus Lupin

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 3:51 pm
*dances*
I just finished the thirtieth chapter of my fic! It still amazes me that I'm so dedicated to finishing this project and I'm so close to the end that I can taste it.
^_^

Off Topic Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 141 142 143 144 145 146 ... 163 164 165 166 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games