Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Worst Things You Can Ever Say As A Pagan Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 140 141 142 143 144 145 ... 227 228 229 230 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Collowrath

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:32 am
Celeblin Galadeneryn
That's a Slavic construction, though the exact language escapes me.

It's Serbian. smile

Quote:
He's a ******** Slav. You really only have to go into why they call them "Slavs" to see why this "My heritage was more ******** than yours" bullshit isn't going to work.

Hint for RuisRaven, look up the etymology of the word "Slave" and the history of chattel slavery in particular to see the problem here.

Then look up some things about the history of the Balkans during the Turkish invasions, and particularly within the past 200~ years.

Then look up Magyarization, and the meanings of words like "genocide" and "ethnic-cleansing."

confused  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:33 am
Aino Ailill
Calixti
RuisRaven, the use of the word "gypsy" is inappropriate. It's an ethnic slur against the Rroma, against the TOS of Gaia, offensive, and not allowed in this guild. Please remove it from your post.

And as for telling people to do the research themselves: no. You made the claim, therefore the burden of proof is on you. In short, put up or shut up.

Would the use of the term be offensive if used to refer to characters who are called such? I'm thinking Notre Dame, Disney Version.
stressed

THAT MOVIE NEEDS TO DIAF. HATE HATE HAAAAAATE.

In such a context, I usually refer to the character by name, and if someone's unfamiliar with what I'm talking about, I take it as a teaching moment ("Hugo refers to her as a g~ because that's what the French called them but the proper word is Rroma, and g~ is an ethnic slur that I'd prefer you not use") in a way. Similar to the n-word in Huckleberry Finn, only that generally doesn't require a teaching moment as most people KNOW why that word is unacceptable.  

Calixti

Aino Ailill

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:37 am
Calixti
Aino Ailill
Calixti
RuisRaven, the use of the word "gypsy" is inappropriate. It's an ethnic slur against the Rroma, against the TOS of Gaia, offensive, and not allowed in this guild. Please remove it from your post.

And as for telling people to do the research themselves: no. You made the claim, therefore the burden of proof is on you. In short, put up or shut up.

Would the use of the term be offensive if used to refer to characters who are called such? I'm thinking Notre Dame, Disney Version.
stressed

But the beautiful music! gonk

Quote:
In such a context, I usually refer to the character by name, and if someone's unfamiliar with what I'm talking about, I take it as a teaching moment ("Hugo refers to her as a g~ because that's what the French called them but the proper word is Rroma, and g~ is an ethnic slur that I'd prefer you not use") in a way. Similar to the n-word in Huckleberry Finn, only that generally doesn't require a teaching moment as most people KNOW why that word is unacceptable.

Okay. I hadn't known it was a slur but I will remove it from my vocabulary now that I do. Thank you for the information. <3  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:40 am
Collowrath
Celeblin Galadeneryn

It's Serbian. smile
Thank you kindly.

Quote:
Quote:
He's a ******** Slav. You really only have to go into why they call them "Slavs" to see why this "My heritage was more ******** than yours" bullshit isn't going to work.

Hint for RuisRaven, look up the etymology of the word "Slave" and the history of chattel slavery in particular to see the problem here.

Then look up some things about the history of the Balkans during the Turkish invasions, and particularly within the past 200~ years.

Then look up Magyarization, and the meanings of words like "genocide" and "ethnic-cleansing."

confused
Yeah. I mean, my clan's existance was ruled illegal by the English Crown, but we didn't ******** go through THAT.  

Celeblin Galadeneryn

Beloved Romantic

15,800 Points
  • Potion Disaster 50
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200

Calixti

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:41 am
Aino Ailill
Calixti
Aino Ailill
Calixti

stressed

But the turning Phoebus into a "good guy" and inventing an entirely new character so that Frollo could be irredeemably evil and making Quasimodo gentle and intelligent and completely destroying the ending and leaving out Esmerelda's mother and Phoebus' girlfriend and aging up Esmerelda so the Phoebus/Esmerelda romance wasn't creepy and gross and obviously him taking advantage of her naivete and WRONG! gonk
Quote:

Quote:

Okay. I hadn't known it was a slur but I will remove it from my vocabulary now that I do. Thank you for the information. <3
You're welcome, and thank you for listening. heart  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:45 am
R M C Dra in da house. *starts the turntables to scratch records on*

In all seriousness though. rmcdra is reference to a story I am working on and a Mr. Dark event I had back when I was a Fluffy Neo-Pagan.

It stands for Robert McDra, the main antagonist who becomes a hero by the end of the story. I'm still on Chapter 1 right now so it's going to be a while.  

rmcdra

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150

rmcdra

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:48 am
Calixti
Aino Ailill
Calixti
Aino Ailill
Calixti

stressed

But the turning Phoebus into a "good guy" and inventing an entirely new character so that Frollo could be irredeemably evil and making Quasimodo gentle and intelligent and completely destroying the ending and leaving out Esmerelda's mother and Phoebus' girlfriend and aging up Esmerelda so the Phoebus/Esmerelda romance wasn't creepy and gross and obviously him taking advantage of her naivete and WRONG! gonk

Don't even get me started on how they mascaraed the story of Hurcules. Though "who puts the glad in gladiator" verse makes me crack up.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:48 am
rmcdra

In all seriousness though. rmcdra is reference to a story I am working on and a Mr. Dark event I had back when I was a Fluffy Neo-Pagan.

It stands for Robert McDra, the main antagonist who becomes a hero by the end of the story. I'm still on Chapter 1 right now so it's going to be a while.
And now we know all your secrets *cackles evilly*  

Celeblin Galadeneryn

Beloved Romantic

15,800 Points
  • Potion Disaster 50
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200

Aino Ailill

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:50 am
Calixti
Aino Ailill
Calixti
Aino Ailill
Calixti

stressed

It's Disney, it's what they do. :3

I didn't see Frollo as irredeemably evil. He was psychotic. He had visions of grandeur but was a contradiction to himself, not being pure due to his lust, which weighed on him. He had hallucinations. I felt sorry for him.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:50 am
Celeblin Galadeneryn
rmcdra

Yes I've come to accept that I have no poker face. I can email a rough draft of the first Chapter for those that are interested.  

rmcdra

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150

Aino Ailill

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:55 am
rmcdra
Calixti
Aino Ailill
Calixti
Aino Ailill
Calixti

stressed

Don't even get me started on how they mascaraed the story of Hurcules. Though "who puts the glad in gladiator" verse makes me crack up.

I tend to enjoy Disney. As long as one keeps in mind that they took a story and completely twisted it, the music is generally awesome and the dialogue amusing.

And Hades? Wicked cool.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:56 am
rmcdra
Celeblin Galadeneryn
rmcdra

Yes I've come to accept that I have no poker face. I can email a rough draft of the first Chapter for those that are interested.

I'm interested. ninja  

Aino Ailill

Calixti

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:57 am
rmcdra
Calixti
Aino Ailill
Calixti
Aino Ailill

stressed

That's pretty terrible too. Or the tacked-on happy ending to The Little Mermaid, that one makes me gonk .
Aino Ailil
It's Disney, it's what they do. :3
Butbut- gonk
Quote:

I didn't see Frollo as irredeemably evil. He was psychotic. He had visions of grandeur but was a contradiction to himself, not being pure due to his lust, which weighed on him. He had hallucinations. I felt sorry for him.
You're a serious minority, then. razz In the book, he was a conflicted, complicated man; in the Disney movie, he was meant to be irredeemably evil. After all, it's Disney. Irredeemably evil villains is what they do. Stupid Disney. stare  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:59 am
Aino Ailill
rmcdra
Calixti
Aino Ailill
Calixti
stressed

I tend to enjoy Disney. As long as one keeps in mind that they took a story and completely twisted it, the music is generally awesome and the dialogue amusing.

And Hades? Wicked cool.
Oh I still enjoy Disney movies. I still like the Little Mermaid and Cinderella. Disney seems to know what their doing when it comes to catchy music. I know the originals were drastically different though. Sometimes I just wish my pesky critical academic side would just shut off.  

rmcdra

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150

Collowrath

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:01 am
Celeblin Galadeneryn
Collowrath
Celeblin Galadeneryn

It's Serbian. smile
Thank you kindly.

You're welcome. =)

Quote:
Yeah. I mean, my clan's existance was ruled illegal by the English Crown, but we didn't ******** go through THAT.

Heh, wrong is wrong - neither situation is better or worse than the other.

Oh great, now I'm gonna go all emo. sweatdrop  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 140 141 142 143 144 145 ... 227 228 229 230 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games