Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Errol's sketchbook [images added 5/2/11] Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 12 13 14 15 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Errol McGillivray
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:24 pm
Live figure work from this past sunday. (10/4)

Grease pencil on newsprint.

5 minutes

User Image
User Image
User Image

10 minute

User Image
User Image
User Image

20 minute

User Image

30 minute

User Image

10 minute

User Image  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:50 am
1/12
User Image
creature concepts

User Image
cartooning practice

User Image
Cartooning practice

User Image
Lame a** rat I drew when I was bored.

User Image
Self portrait  

Errol McGillivray
Captain

Errol McGillivray
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:38 am
User Image

Crit away! I'm just starting to get used to pencils again after a long time relying on the computer.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:10 pm
heart Pencils're lovely. =)

That looks great! Looking forward to seeing that in color wink  

lea florens

Dapper Shapeshifter

Errol McGillivray
Captain

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 7:27 pm
5/28

User Image

This is how I amuse myself at work.

User Image

Character sketch of character for comic. I played a bit with markers. I really like markers. (sorry for the quality. It's a cell phone picture.)

Linked for sideboob and booty. This was a court house doodle. I had jury duty that day.  
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 7:28 pm
Lea Florens
heart Pencils're lovely. =)

That looks great! Looking forward to seeing that in color wink
Unfortunately, I'm not that great with colour. But I'm working on it.  

Errol McGillivray
Captain

Spoggly

Dapper Nerd

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 7:36 pm
Hi Errol, I think you were the one who approved my application to join the guild yesterday, thank you! This will be my first crit in the guild, but I'll do my best.

You're pretty good at creating a monster/creature in your most recent WIP! I'm not an expert on anatomy yet, but from what I can see you have no problems in that area (the teeth are well-drawn).

So I'll just give suggestions on the coloring.. In the skin color, for example, I noticed you used mono-green for all the shading. To add more depth, you could add a light wash of the complementary color (any shade of red will do) in the shaded areas, to give you some pleasant looking grays. That's usually what I do to color in my own works. I hope that helps.

If you have the time, I hope you could crit my WIPs as well in my thread. Thank you!  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:35 am
Spoggly
Hi Errol, I think you were the one who approved my application to join the guild yesterday, thank you! This will be my first crit in the guild, but I'll do my best.

You're pretty good at creating a monster/creature in your most recent WIP! I'm not an expert on anatomy yet, but from what I can see you have no problems in that area (the teeth are well-drawn).

So I'll just give suggestions on the coloring.. In the skin color, for example, I noticed you used mono-green for all the shading. To add more depth, you could add a light wash of the complementary color (any shade of red will do) in the shaded areas, to give you some pleasant looking grays. That's usually what I do to color in my own works. I hope that helps.

If you have the time, I hope you could crit my WIPs as well in my thread. Thank you!
How would I add a wash with marker? I did take colour theory (which makes me want to pinch myself for not thinking of that myself), but I don't know how to use these markers AT ALL.  

Errol McGillivray
Captain

Spoggly

Dapper Nerd

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:29 am
Errol McGillivray
How would I add a wash with marker? I did take colour theory (which makes me want to pinch myself for not thinking of that myself), but I don't know how to use these markers AT ALL.

There are special 'blank' markers with diluent ink being sold.. depends if you're using water-based or alcohol-based markers, but I think both versions have corresponding diluent 'blanks'. You could do a light wash of the diluent, then while the whole surface is wet you can lightly brush the complementary color over some areas, then spread it out some more with the diluent marker..

Alternatively, you could do a mixed media approach and add a light wash of watercolors, or shade in with colored pencils, the effects look great as well. ^^

Finally, you could try buying some 'watercolor colored pencils.' Shade in the parts you like with the complementary color, then wet the area using markers of the original color, then presto~ Blended colors..  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:00 am
User Image
User Image
User Image

SAI. No markers this time. emo  

Errol McGillivray
Captain

Yamiko

Shy Lunatic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:43 pm
I'll start off by saying that you have a great sense when it comes to drawing anatomy. The poses are very well drawn and have life to them. The expressions are lively too.

The only thing I can suggest is to perhaps make the shadows of the skin have a bit of reddish tint to them. (I'm not sure if I'm using the correct terminology, but please correct me if I'm wrong.) As light strikes the skin, hints of blood's color reflect back out because the skin is slightly translucent. It's more evident when you place your hands against light. There's hints of red around the edges.

To make things easier, this tutorial has several color palette for skin tone variations.

Color tone palettes  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:19 pm
up to 6/27
(in order of creation)

User Image
User Image

markers

User Image

rp character doodle

User Image
User Image
User Image

paint tool sai  

Errol McGillivray
Captain

Errol McGillivray
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:21 pm
Yamiko
I'll start off by saying that you have a great sense when it comes to drawing anatomy. The poses are very well drawn and have life to them. The expressions are lively too.

The only thing I can suggest is to perhaps make the shadows of the skin have a bit of reddish tint to them. (I'm not sure if I'm using the correct terminology, but please correct me if I'm wrong.) As light strikes the skin, hints of blood's color reflect back out because the skin is slightly translucent. It's more evident when you place your hands against light. There's hints of red around the edges.

To make things easier, this tutorial has several color palette for skin tone variations.

Color tone palettes
Thank you. I don't know when I'll get the colour thing right. For now, I guess I'll do what I can.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:31 pm
You are amazing and inspiring.  

Gouki Zusaki

7,400 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Invisibility 100
  • Citizen 200

Errol McGillivray
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:38 pm
9/15

random s**t