Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian British Guild

Back to Guilds

A haven for British Gaians, and those sympathetic to their peculiar ways! 

Tags: britain, british, United Kingdom, english, england 

Reply The Politics Subforum, it was -almost- inevitable.
Who would/will you vote for? Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 12 13 14 15 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Invictus_88
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:36 am
It's disconcerting, but government actions are giving me sympathy for the BNP's stance. Not support, certainly, but the sympathy is worrying enough.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:50 pm
Want to elaborate Francis?

I'm 2 days to young to vote this time round, although I did get a canvassing leaflet with my name on it the other day. stressed
Theres not too much choice. My mum was considering voting SNP despite not wanting to be indepentant, but I think I talked her out of it. Don't want labour, the guy used to get my school bus and he's not even out of uni yet. I'm all for someone younger than 60 but 22 might be pushing it. Lib dems aren't a good idea since they were the last folk in charge of the council and managed to overspend enough so that my school is getting £100000 less next year than last. The various parties supporting independance already have too much support (not so much becuase the support independance, they just have good policies). The old fogies party probably isn't so good for anyone under the age of retirement.
Which would have left me with the Torys or Greens.  

Shadow of an Illusion
Crew

Invictus_88
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:43 am
Shadow of an Illusion

I'm 2 days to young to vote this time round, although I did get a canvassing leaflet with my name on it the other day. stressed
Theres not too much choice. My mum was considering voting SNP despite not wanting to be indepentant, but I think I talked her out of it. Don't want labour, the guy used to get my school bus and he's not even out of uni yet. I'm all for someone younger than 60 but 22 might be pushing it. Lib dems aren't a good idea since they were the last folk in charge of the council and managed to overspend enough so that my school is getting £100000 less next year than last. The various parties supporting independance already have too much support (not so much becuase the support independance, they just have good policies). The old fogies party probably isn't so good for anyone under the age of retirement.

I dislike their attitude towards Europe, immigration, immigrants and 'not native' British. But their amateur fumbling for patriotic sentiment, though misguided, is simply a symptom of our national humilitation under our feeble and fundamentally un-British government. I feel for them, they need something to rally towards and they're so desperate though lack of other options that they side with the BNP.

As for your situation, I support the tories so am biased, but I have a soft spot for the greens. They're cute, but wildly impractical. I'd recommend the tories.

Also. There's a gap in my knowledge. I know the SUP exist, but I don't know what they are like or how they are seen by most Scots. Would you be able to educate me?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:37 pm
Invictus_88
Shadow of an Illusion

I dislike their attitude towards Europe, immigration, immigrants and 'not native' British. But their amateur fumbling for patriotic sentiment, though misguided, is simply a symptom of our national humilitation under our feeble and fundamentally un-British government. I feel for them, they need something to rally towards and they're so desperate though lack of other options that they side with the BNP.

As for your situation, I support the tories so am biased, but I have a soft spot for the greens. They're cute, but wildly impractical. I'd recommend the tories.

Also. There's a gap in my knowledge. I know the SUP exist, but I don't know what they are like or how they are seen by most Scots. Would you be able to educate me?

SUP, I'm having to make it up here but is it Scottish Unionist Party? If it is I haven't seen any flyers nor know anything about any of their policies but can only guess since Lab/Lib/Con all do the not seperating thing there isn't too much call for them and so we don't hear about them too much.
Just had a look at the BBC's manifestos and there isn'tany mention of an SUP. There SNP and SSP and SSCUP but no sign of an SUP.
Edit, found it. It's along side various Christian parties, a Jacobite party, a communist party, a equal parenting alliance and Adam Lyal's Witchery Tour Party. It's down there with the best of them.

SNP support is somewhat similar to BNP support. Except SNP do have decent policies.

I think the Greens would probably be quite good in the Scottish parliment. Theres a bit less space for rampant madness but theres space for them to do a lot of good.  

Shadow of an Illusion
Crew

Shadow of an Illusion
Crew

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 10:26 am
Prediction: SNP landslide victory.  
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 12:43 am
Shadow of an Illusion

Sad times.

sad  

Invictus_88
Captain

Shadow of an Illusion
Crew

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 4:39 pm
Invictus_88
Shadow of an Illusion

Sad times.

sad

Today I'm not so sure. Maybe the LibDems will hang on in there.
Still think the SNP are going to get a good vote. Their campaign was by far the best, even if I don't agree with what they say it's hard not to, what with them being the only main partty who doesn't put us down constantly.

Labour have held their first seat of the night.  
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 6:00 pm
Hm, there's no clear gain or loss by any party anywhere so far. Growth by the tories, but stuntedly so.  

Invictus_88
Captain

[Finrod]

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 4:00 pm
Invi, I think you spoke too soon...

Tories up nearly 900 (forecast was up 300; optimistic Tories forecast anything from 400 to 750); up 38 councils, more councils than Labour in Yorkshire and the North West. More councillors than all other parties put together. Ahead of Lib Dems in Scotland and Wales.

Labour down about 500 (forecast was down about 700 or so). Lost control of Scotland (now second party), lost majority in Wales.

Lib Dems down 250 or so (forecast was flat to 100 gains). Fourth party in Scotland. Fourth Party in Wales.

SNP largest Party in Scotland (although not by quite as much a margin as predicted).

Plaid Cymru make gains, but short of target.

Overall: Excellent for Tories. Mixed bag for Labour (Bad but not disastrous in England with savage losses but not the destruction forecast; Loss of Scotland; Damaged in Wales). Very Bad for Lib Dems (drastically squeezed). Good but not great for SNP (As an aside, the only majority 2-party coalitions that are numerically possible in Scotland are SNP+Labour or SNP+Tories - neither of which are going to happen). Quite disappointing for Plaid.

I'd say Ming Campbell should be worried about the men in grey suits and sandals ...  
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 5:09 pm
What about a 3 party coalition.. or even 4?

SNP+LibDem+Independant+Green!!

Nothing will ever get done!  

ficklefiend
Crew

[Finrod]

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 5:16 am
The LibDems have said that they won't support the SNP if they demand a referendum on Scotland's continuing membership of the UK - and the SNP can hardly resile from one of the core planks of its manifesto (the Lib Dems, as the fourth party, wouldn't quite get the SNP to a majority anyway - they'd need the Greens or the Independent as well).

The SNP won't go into Coalition with the Tories - it's explicitly against their constitution.

Labour + Lib Dems + Greens + Independent would just scrape a majority - that might have to be it.  
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 3:00 pm
I think SNP might have said some rather nasty stuff about the tories, definately won't happen.

The greens and indepentants had bad losses. Pity.  

Shadow of an Illusion
Crew

Rikku de Lioncourt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:08 am
Well. Our local Labour MP is certainly better than the others by far here. But that kinda' confuses things for me because my family always tend to vote Conservative.

I'm not sure who exactly I'd want to vote for at this particular moment, the next election will be my first time. (: Guess I'm going to have to take a look at what they're offering. Being a university student, I might be easily swayed towards a party wanting to scrap top up fees~

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:09 pm
Rikku de Lioncourt
Well. Our local Labour MP is certainly better than the others by far here. But that kinda' confuses things for me because my family always tend to vote Conservative.

I'm not sure who exactly I'd want to vote for at this particular moment, the next election will be my first time. (: Guess I'm going to have to take a look at what they're offering. Being a university student, I might be easily swayed towards a party wanting to scrap top up fees~

Checking out the policies and then deciding based on what they're saying?

Nah - it'll never catch on smile

(I wouldn't hold out much hope on the top-up fees front - the Lib Dems might offer it again to get the student vote, but they're willing to bin that one immediately in negotiations if they get a chance of power in a Hung Parliament. The other two - the ones that could get a majority - will stick with the status quo on top-up fees.

But the open mind that you've shown is definitely commendable. Just try not to be swayed by the various media narratives; ensure that you make up your own mind.

Having re-read that, I come over as a pompous old buffer.
Not too far wrong, methinks ... )  

[Finrod]

Rikku de Lioncourt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:15 am
[Finrod]
Checking out the policies and then deciding based on what they're saying?

Nah - it'll never catch on smile

(I wouldn't hold out much hope on the top-up fees front - the Lib Dems might offer it again to get the student vote, but they're willing to bin that one immediately in negotiations if they get a chance of power in a Hung Parliament. The other two - the ones that could get a majority - will stick with the status quo on top-up fees.

But the open mind that you've shown is definitely commendable. Just try not to be swayed by the various media narratives; ensure that you make up your own mind.

Having re-read that, I come over as a pompous old buffer.
Not too far wrong, methinks ... )

I've never really listened to the media to make a decision on anything considering how biased they're likely to be O: Thank you for the advice regrdless (:

You don't sound like a pompous old buffer, either! D:

The Politics Subforum, it was -almost- inevitable.

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 12 13 14 15 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games