darker toned mezzo soprano
  Higher-alto
  deep voiced alto
  raspy-screaming type alto
View Results

Fallentowards

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:39 pm
Senchou Ari Mizuko
hn..That's a good idea. would also like to continue expanding my upper range, as I think I'm losing it gonk and I'd also like to learn to act as I sing and to scream with out injuring myself.

what exactly do you mean with the " act as a sing" like doing musical theatre stuff where you are telling story through song.....or just plain acting while singing(movement and whatnot)  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:10 pm
GAAAHHH people post dammit..i am not letting this thread die....new question....who is your favourite singer and what qualities do they pocess for you to like them that much?  

Fallentowards

trampyre

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:40 am
Fallentowards
GAAAHHH people post dammit..i am not letting this thread die....new question....who is your favourite singer and what qualities do they pocess for you to like them that much?

I've been away for a long time, and this is one of the few threads I actually missed sooo...

Top favourite singers:

Female:

Kirsten Flagstad. She's a Wagnerian Soprano, but man she has the warmest richest most beautiful voice I've ever heard. It can move me to tears sometimes. She is also possibly the most musical soprano I know of. She never overdid expression, she didn't need to over-ornament things and she didn't clip words the way a lot of singers do today. She created long phrases and sang with true emotional integrity.

Kathleen Ferrier. She was a contralto with a very rare timbre, and though her range was limited, she had a huge beautiful voice. I love her recordings of English folksongs, and Das Lied von der Erde (by Mahler).

Maria Callas, before she blew her voice. She had a gorgeous, dark timbre for a soprano and amazing agility. The woman could do everything! High notes, low notes, lyric singing, dramatic singing, coloratura... Unfortunately as she got older she pushed too hard and her voice suffered.

Rosa Ponselle, another spinto soprano. She also had a beautiful tone, and incredible musicality.

Male:

Set Svanholm - Heldentenor (that means basically, Wagnerian tenor. the sound is similar to a Baritone in the mid voice, but the tessitura (comfortable range) is that of a tenor). He, like Kirsten Flagstad, really knew how to sing a phrase. I love him as Siegmund in Die Walkure.

Tom Krause - Verdi Baritone (that means heavier baritone). He is great in the Scandinavian Rep (he's Finnish), but in opera as well. I love his Sibelius Songs recording. He is excellent at dramatic singing and very exciting to listen to.

I know that's a lot but I get excited talking about these things. I get kind of lonely sometimes being the classical singing nerd that I am, it's hard to find friends truly interested in that stuff.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:28 pm
trampyre
Fallentowards

I've been away for a long time, and this is one of the few threads I actually missed sooo...

Top favourite singers:

Female:

Kirsten Flagstad. She's a Wagnerian Soprano, but man she has the warmest richest most beautiful voice I've ever heard. It can move me to tears sometimes. She is also possibly the most musical soprano I know of. She never overdid expression, she didn't need to over-ornament things and she didn't clip words the way a lot of singers do today. She created long phrases and sang with true emotional integrity.

Kathleen Ferrier. She was a contralto with a very rare timbre, and though her range was limited, she had a huge beautiful voice. I love her recordings of English folksongs, and Das Lied von der Erde (by Mahler).

Maria Callas, before she blew her voice. She had a gorgeous, dark timbre for a soprano and amazing agility. The woman could do everything! High notes, low notes, lyric singing, dramatic singing, coloratura... Unfortunately as she got older she pushed too hard and her voice suffered.

Rosa Ponselle, another spinto soprano. She also had a beautiful tone, and incredible musicality.

Male:

Set Svanholm - Heldentenor (that means basically, Wagnerian tenor. the sound is similar to a Baritone in the mid voice, but the tessitura (comfortable range) is that of a tenor). He, like Kirsten Flagstad, really knew how to sing a phrase. I love him as Siegmund in Die Walkure.

Tom Krause - Verdi Baritone (that means heavier baritone). He is great in the Scandinavian Rep (he's Finnish), but in opera as well. I love his Sibelius Songs recording. He is excellent at dramatic singing and very exciting to listen to.

I know that's a lot but I get excited talking about these things. I get kind of lonely sometimes being the classical singing nerd that I am, it's hard to find friends truly interested in that stuff.

No no, I appreciate it because you provided unqiue and beautiful examples of different singers. I'm also a fan of Kirsten Flagstad and I completely agree with what you said. Your thoughts on popculture singers? Looking about it from being a classical nerd razz  

Fallentowards

trampyre

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:10 pm
Fallentowards
No no, I appreciate it because you provided unqiue and beautiful examples of different singers. I'm also a fan of Kirsten Flagstad and I completely agree with what you said. Your thoughts on popculture singers? Looking about it from being a classical nerd razz

Yay! So happy to see you're still around. 4laugh

Hmm, popculture singers. I don't listen to a lot of pop music these days, but occasionally I will put something pop-y on my mp3 playlist. The pop singers I used to listen to the most were female, like Avril Lavigne, Fefe Dobson and Amy Lee. I think I liked them because they sing with so much emotion and intensity. I am drawn to intense expression in general.

As I said I don't listen to 'pop' (as in the subgenre of 'pop') very much any more (unless you are referring to all non-classical music as pop). These days I spend a lot of time listening either to classical pieces I am learning/would like to learn or that inspire me, or else death-rock, batcave, dark cabaret, postpunk, glam rock, or older punk music (if you want to get specific with the subgenres XD ).

Within these genres that I tend listen to, there is a wide variety of vocal technique going on. Some deathrock groups even favour a more classical sound; in modern deathrock there is a great fusion of sounds and ideals going on. If you listen to Rozz Williams of Christian Death, he has a very expressive voice that can be a etheral, coarse, or raspy. Bella Morte's Andy Deane, has a clearer sounding voice that I also find pleasant to listen to. I guess it all depends on my mood. *shrugs*

Sometimes I wish I could start up a batcave-y or deathrock-y band and do wicked classical vocals with it. I think it would sound really awesome. I like what Nightwish has done mixing an operatic sound with an epic rock and roll style, I'm just not a fan of the synthesizers. sweatdrop There's a little German band called Subway to Sally and I admire their eclectic mix of classical, folk, and goth-rock inspired sounds. There's also Emilie Autumn, and I think you're familiar with her (she rocks wink ). Apart from being a violinist and fusing classical and gothic influences there, I believe she tries to do the same with her voice. There are other bands out there that do similar things I'm sure, and I think that's why I'm drawn to these smaller subgenres that seem to branch off of the Goth Rock genre.

I love some of the sounds these singers are able to create (although I didn't always - I used to be against anything non-classical XD), I know what a toll it takes on the vocal chords. As a singer I try to be very gentle on my vocal apparatus, 'cause I've only got one! It's not like a guitar, you can't go out and buy a new one.

As for more mainstream popular music, it depends on the singer's voice. I tend to like singers with clear (as opposed to airy) voices; although that's not always the case. Some singers' voices are not so kind to my ears (Amy Winehouse is one example). Then there's music with lots of screaming in it, which I actually don't mind once in a while. I think probably the most irritating type of singer, for me though, has got to be the generic, breathy pop or indie/folk sound, that waxes belty at climactic moments and doesn't have much character to it. There are a lot of singers like that nowadays who seem to be afraid of letting their true voice shine for fear of disappointing the masses of fans who won't buy anything that doesn't sound like something they haven't already heard a million times.

I should say though that I can, and will, listen to anything. I find all types of music very interesting (from an ethnomusicological, aesthetic philosophical, and compositional standpoint). I also am fascinated and try to learn all I can about the human vocal apparatus and how it works and sounds.

I hope I didn't go on too long. I think I have a tendency to ramble on a lot on these forums when I could really be more concise.

sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:06 pm
Seems you're having a bit of trouble keeping the thread up, Fallen? Eh, I'll hang around for a while if it's at risk of dying prematurely...

Anyways. I've not been in choir long, and that combined with my musical illiteracy and the district's neglect of any program that's not football means I'm not too sure of my range. I've been jumped around a lot, filling in spots that were lacking in support, anything from Soprano to a Contralto part. I'm most fond of Alto and some Mezzo soprano, since it's not exceedingly obvious if I make a mistake. biggrin

Yeah... I'm gonna hang around here for a while. I've always wanted to be somewhat knowledgable in Classical vocals.  

The War on Indifference

Durem Raider

Fallentowards

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:55 pm
Sin_through_Existence
Seems you're having a bit of trouble keeping the thread up, Fallen? Eh, I'll hang around for a while if it's at risk of dying prematurely...

Anyways. I've not been in choir long, and that combined with my musical illiteracy and the district's neglect of any program that's not football means I'm not too sure of my range. I've been jumped around a lot, filling in spots that were lacking in support, anything from Soprano to a Contralto part. I'm most fond of Alto and some Mezzo soprano, since it's not exceedingly obvious if I make a mistake. biggrin

Yeah... I'm gonna hang around here for a while. I've always wanted to be somewhat knowledgable in Classical vocals.

Tiny bit of trouble but i'm not on as much as i used to be that's for sure. But i highly doubt it will die out, quite a few singers within the guild razz . What drew you to join choir and what kind of stuff do you enjoy singing. As for your range, I'd have to hear you, you could always get your teacher to run exercises with you to find out what you actually are but keep in mind your voice will grow and change so it probably won't remain the same. Statisically you're more than likely a soprano or mezzo, there are very very few true alto's.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:14 pm
I go from Descant to Tenor.
I want to become a singer or a theatre preformer, so my voice is something I work on. biggrin

I like to think It's something I'm good at
xd  

xX-DeadMansParty-Xx

trampyre

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:00 pm
Oh! I thought of a good topic. Favourite Choir songs?

I always loved singing "Siyahamba" (I think that's how it's spelled). I could always just really... groove to that song. Then there were a ton of pieces by Benjamin Britten that I just adored (like the Ceremony of Carols cycle), and stuff by Eleanor Daley. I remember one choir I was in (while young), we sang with an adult choir. I always looked up to those older singers. They sang with such power, intensity and they passed that on to us kids. I think we were doing some piece by Honegger... damn can't remember what it was called but it's something famous and I feel embarrassed that I can't recall it sweatdrop

anyone else?  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:06 am
I'm a singer smile
My voice is kind of low-medium high, though i can change the way it sounds to for the song.
I like to use a lot of expressions and dynamic when I sing.
In choir I sing Soprano II, though I can reach some high note, just not with as much energy as i could lower notes.  

osozaki girl

Fashionable Prophet

AdrianaKitten

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:41 pm
I have very little musical knowledge besides what I think is good and what isn't but a music teacher once told me I'm an alto that can reach soprano but I'm not sure what that's called. I like singing songs from musicals. whee (NOT high school musical! gonk )
I like some female R&B and metal singers (Aaliyah, Cristina Scabbia) and I hate bad male screamers (Madina Lake guy...). Heavy, clear and melodic voices are just brilliant especially if they're female.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:29 am
Mrs. Pink Eyes
I SING LIKE A ********' ZOMBIE! domokun

LOL  

MissHorrorstar

Keevan Draco

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:12 pm
greetings,
Once upon a distant path, I was a baritone/bass. I was vocally inclined at an early age, and was singing constantly in churches. during my tenure in college, I was a member of my college's traveling choral group, and heavily involved in musical theater. At my best, many many years ago, I could sing verbatum the entire part of jean valjean from Les Miserables with perfect clarity. sadly, time and tide have prevailed and years of hard living has taken it's toll on my voice. these days, I mostly sing shanties and celtic tunes to my closest friends or just to make the days pass by more enjoyably for me.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:37 pm
I'm not sure if I'm an alto/mezzo-soprano/soprano, because I sing when I'm bored. At best, I can sing along to the albums Mother Earth and Lovelorn (Within Temptation and Leaves' Eyes respectively), just to give you an example of my range. I tend to imitate the singer's voice, so arguably, my range depends on the singing style.

In response to the later question: my favourite singers are Roy Khan, Simone Simons and Liv Kristine. :3  

shadowcat715

Digital Malevolence

Greedy Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:01 pm
I do harsh vocals in an experimental Death Metal band, I don't know much else to say about that.  
Music - Related Topics

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 12 13 14 15 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff