Welcome to Gaia! ::

Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians

Back to Guilds

Join vegetarians and supporters for discussion on health, cooking, and ethical issues! 

Tags: Food, Vegan, Vegetarian, Animal, Cooking 

Reply Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians
Different Types of Vegetarianism! Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 11 12 13 14

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Kayei

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:50 am
Ok, first of all, don't get me wrong. I don't have any personal issues with freegans. That is, unless they go around trying to be vegetarians when they're not. Freeganism is a completely different way of eating and living.

A freegan is still an omnivore. They're just an "aware" omnivore. Same with Pescetarians....still consuming flesh. I don't really like the terms to be linked with vegans/vegetarians, because it's hypocritical "Oh you know, I'm a vegetarian/vegan...except sometimes when I eat animals". It gives a bad image to true vegans/veggies, because omni's see the contradictions just as much as I do, and in the long run true vegans/vegetarians will be thought of as lazy and hypocritical because of these select individuals.

I don't mind it if they mention that they're ALMOST vegan/vegetarian, or are converting to vegan/vegetarianism, or if they say "I consume mostly a plant based diet, but I also consume flesh of (blank) variety", that's ok too, but to be like "Hey, I'm too lazy to actually be a vegan/vegetarian, but I still want to be in the same grouping as them!", does not settle well with me.

They should be grouped somewhere else otherwise, but that's just my feelings.

Um...wow. Didn't realize I had such pent up feelings about the given topic.

And if I make anyone upset, sorry that wasn't me intention. Just ranting what my feelings are about the given topic.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:42 pm
Vegetarian, with an eventual goal of going vegan. My mum is making the transition of eating raw vegan, and I was as well when I was living with her. However, it's a bit more difficult here at my dad's because there's rarely food here and we don't go grocery shopping frequently enough for me to have kept up the raw-diet that I was with my mum. [Buying fruits and veggies weekly also got a bit costly.]  

Sith Faced

Spacey Nymph

winnlovesyou

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:47 pm
Vegetarian, with the goal of becoming vegan. Hopefully the fact that I'm becoming lactose intolerant will allow my parents to let me give up dairy.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:11 am

I'm pescetarian, but I get where you are coming from.. we have a few other pescetarians at my school, and some will do that, claim to be what they're not.. I always come out and tell them I'm a pescatarian, though more than half the people I talk to has no earthly idea what that is...

Lucy the Imaginary Ninja

Suicidal Watercolors

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:57 pm
Surprisingly I hadn't posted in here hmm.

Um, I am an ovo-lacto but I really am avioding dairy so soon I will be a ovo-veg.....though someday I'd like to go beegan  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:31 pm
I'm new! I'm going vegetarian. I'm reading a book called "The Gradual Vegetarian".

Starting tomorrow I'm lacto-ovo!

Before I ate chicken, but now I'm giving that up!  

a-little-piggy

6,450 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Naynram Ukir

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:26 pm
"Beegans:
Eat nothing that comes from an animal except honey. "

Lol. What?
how long do you last on that diet before you die?

There's also Raw-Foodism.
Which is sort of your definition of "Sproutarian", only with any vegetable/nut involved.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:29 pm
And I try for Semi vegetarian, since meat is not always unavoidable when you're hungry when you're living with someone who provides food.

Naynram Ukir

LorienLlewellyn

Quotable Informer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:49 pm
Naynram Ukir
"Beegans:
Eat nothing that comes from an animal except honey. "

Lol. What?
how long do you last on that diet before you die?

Vegans don't eat meat, animal fat, dairy, eggs, or honey.

Beegans don't eat meat, animal fat, dairy, or eggs. But they do eat honey.

Both diets can be perfectly healthy when done right.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:10 pm
Lucifer Over London
emo godfather
You could also say that vegeterian is a bullshit term made up by people who are trying to justify eating honey, eggs, dairy, yet still associate themselves with vegans. heart

I don't disagree with that, but the term vegetarian did come around long before the term vegan did. Pescetarian is a stupid, ridiculous concept. By using it, you're practically saying that fish are not animals. Even worse are the morons who call themselves "pollotarians"

Not trying to get in a debate with you, but just wanted to say that even though the word vegetarian came long before the word vegan, the original meaning of the word vegetarian was actually no animals or animal bi-products what-so-ever, but then it got switched over to just no animals. So, originally, vegetarian was actually supposed to be what we now call vegan.

Actually, the International Vegetarian Union still uses the original definition of the word vegetarian, basically meaning no animals or their bi-products.

So, emo godfather is technically right saying that vegetarians are just trying to associate themselves with vegans. I mean, if you go with the historical definition of the word.

Info: http://www.ivu.org/faq/definitions.html  

jacketcat

Friendly Cat

a-little-piggy

6,450 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:50 am
I just wanted to switch what I said before. I said that I was lacto-ovo but now I am attempting to go completely vegan.

(The reason I say attempting is because there are times when it is hard to do because I live in a family full of carnivores, so what I ask for (mainly meat & dairy substitutes, tofu, tempeh, silk, etc.) is considered "superfluous" spending sad I just hope that I can possibly get a job soon so that I can buy these things for myself.)

I am also looking to get vegan shoes. <3  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:41 am
I'm a lacto-ovo-vegetarian, been one for seven years. I'd really like to turn to vegan when I'm older.  

serihime

Kecitich

Supportive Cutesmasher

13,950 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Waffles! 25
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:52 pm
serihime
I'm a lacto-ovo-vegetarian, been one for seven years. I'd really like to turn to vegan when I'm older.

heart Try not to be afraid of not enough protein. (not saying you are) Eat enough fresh food (fruits and vegetables), lots of protein from there smile

A video I want to show you
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hQckFAyVD0

Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 11 12 13 14

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas