Welcome to Gaia! ::

GCD GANGSTAS

Back to Guilds

Its just that hip, yo 

Tags: Geeceedee, GCDer, Items, Plot, Awesome 

Reply Come Back Mero <33
What books is you reading' son? Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

hoekoyami

Lunatic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:47 pm
Mythey Maysonia
Now I'm reverting back to middle school by reading Dragon Rider by Cornelia Funke. She's the same author that wrote The Thief Lord and the Inkheart series.

OHHHHH. MAHHHHH. GOOOOOOD.

I remember that book! I was in third grade or so when I read it; it was the first book I read by Cornelia Funke!! She was my favorite author for quite a long time; I still love her dearly.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:08 pm
At the moment? Dreamcatcher on the side and reading this Santeria book my dad suggested to me. The religion's p. cool-looking.  

Penn Almasy

Demonic Lunatic

15,325 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Invisibility 100

Chixen

Sweet Witch

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:25 am
Penn Almasy
At the moment? Dreamcatcher on the side and reading this Santeria book my dad suggested to me. The religion's p. cool-looking.
I really enjoyed reading Dreamcatcher, it definitely held my attention. Especially with some scenes, gah burning_eyes . Never had much of a desire to watch the movie though.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:05 am
Chixen
Penn Almasy
I really enjoyed reading Dreamcatcher, it definitely held my attention. Especially with some scenes, gah burning_eyes . Never had much of a desire to watch the movie though.
I don't watch the King movies. I've heard most are either terribad adaptions or stray so far from the source material it's in name only.  

Penn Almasy

Demonic Lunatic

15,325 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Invisibility 100

Chixen

Sweet Witch

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:47 am
Penn Almasy
I don't watch the King movies. I've heard most are either terribad adaptions or stray so far from the source material it's in name only.
Yeah, I've seen some disappointing ones. I thought Stand By Me was a good movie though, but I've never read the book to that one so I can't compare it. I haven't watched some of his bigger movies like Misery or the Shining, but those movies did well so they can't be all bad. Rarely is anything better than the book it's from though.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:48 pm
Chixen
Penn Almasy
Yeah, I've seen some disappointing ones. I thought Stand By Me was a good movie though, but I've never read the book to that one so I can't compare it. I haven't watched some of his bigger movies like Misery or the Shining, but those movies did well so they can't be all bad. Rarely is anything better than the book it's from though.
There are obviously a few good exceptions to the Terribad Adaption Rule, like Carrie, The Shining, Misery, Shawshank Redemption, and some others, but most of them have been... ugh.

Actually notice that his better adaptions have not been *entirely* supernatural in theme: Carrie was about someone who gets bullied to the point of retaliation WITH PSYCHICS, Misery was about a psychotic fangirl making her favorite author revive her favorite character (which still kinda rings true today), The Shining was either about a genuine haunting in a hotel or someone slowly going batshit (in a hotel), and Shawshank Redemption... I don't know as much about that one, honestly. But see my point?

Conversely, most adaptions based on King's more fantastical or outright crazy stories (such as Maximum Overdrive and, to an extent, IT) have been... weak in some way. The Stand is an exception to this conversion, but it focuses more on the characters than the actual disaster itself (since it's your usual Kill 'Em All Virus).  

Penn Almasy

Demonic Lunatic

15,325 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Invisibility 100

Anti-Ling

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:36 pm
lol its a manga but I've gotta tell everyone about Wandering Son
ohmygodletmetellyou
I'm dying of diabetes
s**t's so ******** the writing is just perfect

wiki, watch, read, etc.
NOW

& that is how I do a book review.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:45 pm
The Library called! Catching Fire came in so I'm putting Dragon Rider aside for now and reading this real fast. I know it'll be a quick read like the Hunger Games was, and I know other people are on the waiting list for it too, so I'll get through it and return it as soon as I'm done so the other people don't have to wait too long.  

Mythey Maysonia

Wealthy Heckler

14,100 Points
  • Alchemy Level 2 100
  • Battle: Counterstrike 150

Mythey Maysonia

Wealthy Heckler

14,100 Points
  • Alchemy Level 2 100
  • Battle: Counterstrike 150
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 8:51 pm
Finished Catching Fire! I'm going to return it first thing tomorrow morning and hope The Mockingjay is back on the shelves. If not, I'm going to ask to be put on the waiting list for that too, and go back to reading Dragon Rider while I wait for it to be returned.  
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:14 am
Started reading "On Stranger Tides" by Tim Powers.
To be honest, it's not caught my attention much yet, but since it inspired the Monkey Island games as well as the latest Pirates of the Caribbean movie, I'm hoping it will pick up once I get past the first few chapters.  

Sairalinde Telemnar

Star Seeker

8,600 Points
  • Champion 300
  • Medalist 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

drumnbass420

Girl-Crazy Ladykiller

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 3:01 pm
reading is for nerds i just wanna smoke weed

ollies away  
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 1:36 pm
gaia_star
I'm halfway through Mockingjay, and good lord was I right in avoiding the Hunger Games fangirls.
Team Zero ******** Given, reporting in.

Just spill some whiny Capitol blood already. scream

itsyaboii

9,375 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Timid 100
  • Guildmember 100

Starzel

Sparkling Supporter

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 8:47 pm
The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
I borrowed it from the library and it's really good. I was influenced to actually read the books after watching the BBC series. I love that I find all the refernces now.  
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 8:27 am
The Spartacus war by Barry Strauss  

Tantooden

Sweet Glitch

Sairalinde Telemnar

Star Seeker

8,600 Points
  • Champion 300
  • Medalist 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 10:13 am
Sairalinde Telemnar
Started reading "On Stranger Tides" by Tim Powers.
To be honest, it's not caught my attention much yet, but since it inspired the Monkey Island games as well as the latest Pirates of the Caribbean movie, I'm hoping it will pick up once I get past the first few chapters.

Read a little more - It's still a little slow, but somewhere along the way I've ended up caring about a few of the main characters and that's enough to keep me reading smile  
Come Back Mero <33

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff