Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply PathWays
Asatru a la Deoridhe Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 19 20 21 22 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Taliah

Lonely Phantom

8,450 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Forum Junior 100
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:04 pm
Thank you very much ^^

Also, you mentioned the bit about the curses, though I'm not quite sure what you mean. What sort of role do the curses have in Asatru?  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:35 pm
Taliah
Thank you very much ^^

Also, you mentioned the bit about the curses, though I'm not quite sure what you mean. What sort of role do the curses have in Asatru?

The role of something people do when they're pissed off!

My favorite is the curse which makes the target FART. User Image  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:46 pm
Deoridhe

See- I wonder about this... how is that a curse?  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:06 pm
What about a curse that keeps you from farting, even when you need to? xp

I recall that the Nidstang was the first or second kind of curse I ever read about. I was pretty impressed with it's use, or what I read of it. I also read about a curse against the ones who profane the symbols of Asatru- namely the Neo-Nazis. I think I was in eighth grade, before I fully knew what I was looking up, but I couldn't help but wonder if that applied to all of the uses of Runes in horror movies by Hollywood. Maybe you should set one up there.

Nomad of Nowhere

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:50 pm
TeaDidikai
Deoridhe

See- I wonder about this... how is that a curse?

It's constant for the rest of their life, extremely smelly. ^^  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:53 pm
Teague the Druid
I recall that the Nidstang was the first or second kind of curse I ever read about. I was pretty impressed with it's use, or what I read of it. I also read about a curse against the ones who profane the symbols of Asatru- namely the Neo-Nazis. I think I was in eighth grade, before I fully knew what I was looking up, but I couldn't help but wonder if that applied to all of the uses of Runes in horror movies by Hollywood. Maybe you should set one up there.

Nah, the Runes are both for creation and destruction. Their use in fiction isn't a problem, and certainly doesn't profane anything.

The Nidstang is a very serious, longstanding curse by the people. It doesn't have anything to do with profanation per se; it's a declaring of people as outsiders.

IMO, the Runes are part of the basic makeup of the universe, so they aren't limited to the worshipers of the Aesir alone. Besides, sometimes the results are hysterical - like Ingwas as a symbol of creativity. I wonder how many children are the result of female neo-pagans picking up that rune! rofl  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:23 pm
Deoridhe
IMO, the Runes are part of the basic makeup of the universe, so they aren't limited to the worshipers of the Aesir alone. Besides, sometimes the results are hysterical - like Ingwas as a symbol of creativity. I wonder how many children are the result of female neo-pagans picking up that rune! rofl
~snerk~

Is there a method for "awakening/charging" the rune that before then, it is simply a collection of lines? Or does the rune go "live" the moment it is drawn?  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:35 pm
TeaDidikai
Deoridhe
~snerk~

Is there a method for "awakening/charging" the rune that before then, it is simply a collection of lines? Or does the rune go "live" the moment it is drawn?

I certainly hope not, or else virtually every cut or scrape is an isa engraved in your skin, and every coincidental pattern has an unforseen effect on our lives. eek
I've read conflicting things about it myself. I've heard that some people speak the rune while they're carving it. I've also heard of pouring libation for the rune as well, and coloring it with ochre, etc. I don't know how prevalent that is though.

Nomad of Nowhere

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:11 am
TeaDidikai
Deoridhe
~snerk~

They are supposed to go active when blooded - reddened - either with blood or with a tint of some sort (often ochre).

My experience has been that they go live the moment they're drawn. I've done rune readings with black pen on index cards. My first bindrune was red pen on an index card and it did the job. I often weave runes into my shielding, too, which is a situation where they can't easily be reddened.

That effect might be because I've been an erstwhile vitki for so long, though, or that I'm fooling myself.

Teague: The tradition that lines on our body mean things is a longstanding one, encompassing things like palm and skull reading. They are unlikely to make up runes, though, except for Isa and Isa often just holds things stable.

I have considered getting a tattoo of my bindrune, though; the one which represents me.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:54 pm
What characteristics does a Fluffy Asatru have that makes him/her fluffy?  

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:14 pm
Ultraviolett1127

Difficult to say, since at the moment we are in the early ages of Asatru.

I am suspicious of people who seem to be drawing from non-Norse sources, like people who refer to any of the goddesses as moon goddesses, or claim Frey and Freya as a "god and goddess" pair a la neo-paganism; incest is a pretty general taboo, after all. There is a sense of "out of touch" based on ignorance which tends to twinge my alerts, such as people who consider the sun male and the moon female, or who start going on about the three-fold-law or karma indiscriminately. A lot of the time, I will tend to give other peoples' UPG at least a hearing in regards to Asatru, as I know some of my UPG is pretty far out there and I hope to have the courtesy returned, and I may learn something.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:37 pm
Deoridhe
Ultraviolett1127

Difficult to say, since at the moment we are in the early ages of Asatru.

I am suspicious of people who seem to be drawing from non-Norse sources, like people who refer to any of the goddesses as moon goddesses, or claim Frey and Freya as a "god and goddess" pair a la neo-paganism; incest is a pretty general taboo, after all. There is a sense of "out of touch" based on ignorance which tends to twinge my alerts, such as people who consider the sun male and the moon female, or who start going on about the three-fold-law or karma indiscriminately. A lot of the time, I will tend to give other peoples' UPG at least a hearing in regards to Asatru, as I know some of my UPG is pretty far out there and I hope to have the courtesy returned, and I may learn something.
Hey Deo? Did you know that Freya is a Moon Goddess of Cats and all her Priestesses have cats as familiars?

~dives behind Ultraviolet for cover~  

TeaDidikai

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:12 pm
*laughs and protects Tea* xd

Are the sun and moon considered deities? I didn't think they were.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:03 pm
TeaDidikai
Hey Deo? Did you know that Freya is a Moon Goddess of Cats and all her Priestesses have cats as familiars?

~dives behind Ultraviolet for cover~

*breathes FIRE!!!!!!!* User Image

*adds a breathing fire emote to her "emotes to make" list*

Ultraviolett1127
*laughs and protects Tea* xd

*singes Ultra's eyebrows* wink

Ultraviolett1127
Are the sun and moon considered deities? I didn't think they were.

Not deities... I usually think of them as "the big spirits who don't much care about or for humanity". Sunna is the sun (female) and Mani is the moon (male).  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:18 pm
Ah okay. I had stumbled upon a few places on the 'net that sort of talked about them like they were deities, and I didn't think that was right so I just thought I'd ask.

Also, are the Norns considered to be Disir? I saw it on Wiki a bit ago (yea I know...it's Wiki... xd ).

*pencils in bald spots in eyebrows*  
PathWays

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 19 20 21 22 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces