Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian British Guild

Back to Guilds

A haven for British Gaians, and those sympathetic to their peculiar ways! 

Tags: britain, british, United Kingdom, english, england 

Reply Gaian British Guild
Great British Film Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Invictus_88
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:50 am
Masada
I love the film Zulu. Not the type of film I usualy like but it has this charm about it that I love. Shaun of the Dead deseves a mention aswell. And I am also a fan of the Carry On series.

Top marks all the way! Zulu used to be may favourite film, perhaps it still is. Shaun of the Dead is a good show of modern character-based comedy and the Carry On films. Well, they're nice. Carry on up the Khyber even more so.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:53 am
Lady of Spain
Speaking of tv dramatisations, did anyone see Johnny and the Bomb?
Never watched it myself, but it was supposed to be good.

I saw the first one, Zoe Wanamaker seemed to be having fun with her role as a dotty time-travelling tramp.  

Invictus_88
Captain

Mystery Ceres

Shirtless Lunatic

14,650 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Team Edward 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:51 am
My friend introduced me to this Irish film called "Waking Ned Divine."

I thought it was very funny and I enjoyed it a lot. 3nodding

(That's probably doesn't count as a British film, but I felt that I should mention it here...)  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:34 am
What about the Sharpe Films?? They Truely are amazing  

Hawkeye-iow

xXx White Lily xXx

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:35 pm
Invictus_88
Ah, Love Actually.
Wouldn't it be nice if our PM actually did something like that?
3nodding
Wouldn't it be nice if our PM looked like Hugh Grant xp I must say I enjoy all those Richard Curtis/Working Title Romcoms... they're not intellectual or challenging or anything.. but they give you that warm fuzzy feeling inside and sometimes it's just fun to relax in front of the TV with a big tub of ice-cream and Bridget Jones' Diary xp (plus y'know... Colin Firth... heart ) Shaun Of The Dead is essentially Spaced but the characters have different names.... but, as Spaced is very funny, SotD was bound to be too. I also love Monty Python, watched Holy Grail today.. very surreal, very funny 3nodding If we're including Irish films in this I feel I have to mention 'Inside I'm Dancing' it's ridiculously sad but a good film anyway, James Mcavoy was great in it (I also loved him in Shameless and the recent adaptation of Macbeth on BBC) The Harry Potter films are ok but seem to disappoint every fan of the books... And I thought the fourth one missed so much out that it cant have made much sense to anyone that hadnt read the book. Oh yeah, and cant forget Pride & Prejudice, I absolutely love that film (Keira Knightely is amazing) I've always loved the TV version with Colin Firth and I wasnt sure I'd enjoy the film as much but it was great. In some ways it's not as good as the TV series but in other ways it's better, I'd recommend them both (and any girl who says she doesnt love Darcy is lying =P) Importance Of Being Earnest is another good one (gotta love Rupert Everett) I'm sure there are lots of others but this post is already waay too long sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:58 pm
Old Importance of Being Earnest film > the new one many times over.

Also, I have to say on the matter of leaving bits out of Harry Potter IV...while I haven't seen the film, I did rather think that the book could benefit from having rather a large literary pair or shears taken to it. The trouble is that by now Rowling is far too much of a prima donna for any editor to tell her to remove bits...so her books become more and more full of extraneous materiel, and less and less coherently structured. I actually enjoyed the first two books, but from there on I feel she became a victim of her own success. The fourth one I simply got the impression that she wanted to prove she was a "real" author, and thought that writing an unecessarily long book would somehow help her achieve this. As a result, she wrote a book full of irrelevant, incosequential, badly structured waffle.

Oh, and I have to agree with you about all those bad Richard Curtis romcoms with Hugh Grant in - although I draw the line at Four Weddings and a Funeral. Whatsername McDowell or however you spell it is just a bit too ghastly.  

Boolean Julian
Crew

xXx White Lily xXx

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:55 am
I've never seen the old Importance Of Being Earnest sweatdrop I will try and track it down 3nodding I see what you mean about the length of the Harry Potter book but I wouldn't have minded them cutting things out of the film it was just the fact that they didnt seem to explain anything very well, seemed to make it all a bit confusing to me... As for Four Weddings And A Funeral, I quite enjoyed it. I agree that Andie MacDowell is kind of annoying but Hugh Grant was cute (in a young and geeky kind of way) and I like John Hannah and James Fleet 3nodding  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:40 am
Righto. Any input?

http://vforvendetta.warnerbros.com/

"The truth is, there is something terribly wrong with this country."

Invictus_88
Captain

Rev.Matt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:50 am
Withnail and I.
We demand to have some booze. We want the finest wines known to humanity, we want them here and we want them now!  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:57 am
Invictus_88
Righto. Any input?

It looks pretty hopeful. Didn't see any of the trailers but I might see it when it comes out.  

Shadow of an Illusion
Crew

Invictus_88
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:44 am
ice_illusion
Invictus_88
Righto. Any input?

It looks pretty hopeful. Didn't see any of the trailers but I might see it when it comes out.

Ha, one of the trailers has the line something like "Several senior party members have been killed, you know." and the visual shows a conspicuously New Labour looking rose at a funeral.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:16 pm
Rev.Matt
Withnail and I.
We demand to have some booze. We want the finest wines known to humanity, we want them here and we want them now!
I was watching that the other day 3nodding I once heard about a drinking game where you have to drink everything Withnail or I drink throughout the film... I dont think anyone's ever managed it lol  

xXx White Lily xXx

Invictus_88
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:27 pm
xXx White Lily xXx
Rev.Matt
Withnail and I.
I was watching that the other day 3nodding I once heard about a drinking game where you have to drink everything Withnail or I drink throughout the film... I dont think anyone's ever managed it lol

Well..

..provided we can omit the lighter fluid, I might give it a go.

Well, assuming my drinks cabinet is well stocked enough for such a venture!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:29 pm
xXx White Lily xXx
Rev.Matt
Withnail and I.

Well..

..provided we can omit the lighter fluid, I might give it a go.

Well, assuming my drinks cabinet is well stocked enough for such a venture!

Invictus_88
Captain

Gaian British Guild

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas