Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian British Guild

Back to Guilds

A haven for British Gaians, and those sympathetic to their peculiar ways! 

Tags: britain, british, United Kingdom, english, england 

Reply Gaian British Guild
Great British Comedy Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... 27 28 29 30 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

A Lost Iguana

Aged Pants

9,100 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:47 am
I'm off to see Radio 4's Banter being recorded tonight. I was there when Arthur Smith was on, but to be fair, Russell Howard was the funniest.

http://upcoming.org/event/47536/ (as posted by a mate of mine who uses that thing)  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:53 am
Aithne
I've seen Al Murray live twice. Eddie Izzard once. And some lefty poliical guy, but he was great... Mark something.

Mark Steel, by any chance? He's fantastic.

Quote:
Red Dwarf, Blackadder, Time Gentlemen Please.... man, can't think of anymore, it's been so long since there were good ones.

There's been some good recent sitcoms - Spaced and Black Books stand out, and although I didn't watch it, I've heard that Peep Show is very good. Look Around You was fantastic too, especially the first series.  

Spatterdash

Shadow of an Illusion
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:55 am
Spatterdash
Aithne
I've seen Al Murray live twice. Eddie Izzard once. And some lefty poliical guy, but he was great... Mark something.

Mark Steel, by any chance? He's fantastic.

Quote:
Red Dwarf, Blackadder, Time Gentlemen Please.... man, can't think of anymore, it's been so long since there were good ones.

There's been some good recent sitcoms - Spaced and Black Books stand out, and although I didn't watch it, I've heard that Peep Show is very good. Look Around You was fantastic too, especially the first series.

Look Around You is very good, even if it seems a more modern than some of the videos I've seen at school.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:38 pm
I saw some of the second series of Look Around You, very funny it was too biggrin

"And so I'l like to introduce...Synthesizer Patel"  

Boolean Julian
Crew

Spatterdash

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:23 pm
Lady of Spain
I saw some of the second series of Look Around You, very funny it was too biggrin

Leonard Hatred was the best. Fantastic name, and he looks eerily like one of my Maths teachers.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:19 pm
Spatterdash
Lady of Spain

Leonard Hatred was the best. Fantastic name, and he looks eerily like one of my Maths teachers.

I don't think I saw that.  

Boolean Julian
Crew

Theta_Sigma

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:28 pm
Hello fellow Brittons/Britain lovers!!! I am new here, and I only joined Gaia on Tuesday!!! I don't think anyone does comedy quite like the British, and shows such as the brilliant Little Britain, Blackadder, Only Fools And Horses and Fawlty Towers are perfect examples of the style of comedy us Brits do. I do think that there has been a decline in quality in British comedies over the years but every so often another gem pop up, such as Little Britain. I haven't got around to watching peep show yet, I must check it out.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:43 am
Theta_Sigma
Hello fellow Brittons/Britain lovers!!! I am new here, and I only joined Gaia on Tuesday!!! I don't think anyone does comedy quite like the British, and shows such as the brilliant Little Britain, Blackadder, Only Fools And Horses and Fawlty Towers are perfect examples of the style of comedy us Brits do. I do think that there has been a decline in quality in British comedies over the years but every so often another gem pop up, such as Little Britain. I haven't got around to watching peep show yet, I must check it out.

You forgot Monty Python classic british comedy.  

Masada

Boolean Julian
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:25 am
The problem with Monty Python for me is how overquoted it is. The sketches are very funny when you see them for the first time, but when you hear someone else's bad rendition of the Lumberjack Song for the 50th time, it begins to pall.

I have to say though, not as apallingly overquoted as Little Britain. I mean, first Matt Lucas and David Williams repeat the same mediocre joke/catchphrase over and over until anything resembling humour has long ago been squeezed out of it - and as if that wasn't bad enough, you then have to put up every damn chav in the country shouting "computer says no" every time they something vaguely resembling a computer.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:51 am
I am watching Lee Evans XL Tour 2005 Live wright now. And I have to say it is hillarious.  

Masada

Masada

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:52 am
Lady of Spain
The problem with Monty Python for me is how overquoted it is. The sketches are very funny when you see them for the first time, but when you hear someone else's bad rendition of the Lumberjack Song for the 50th time, it begins to pall.

I have to say though, not as apallingly overquoted as Little Britain. I mean, first Matt Lucas and David Williams repeat the same mediocre joke/catchphrase over and over until anything resembling humour has long ago been squeezed out of it - and as if that wasn't bad enough, you then have to put up every damn chav in the country shouting "computer says no" every time they something vaguely resembling a computer.

Well maybe you are wright there on Monty Python. But at least it was funny that one time.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:30 pm
Knightsedge
Black Adder and Fawlty Towers are unbeatable. wink
As soon as I saw this thread I wanted to say that. Curse you.
I also quite like Father Ted.
But Fawlty Towers reigns supreme.  

OriontheHunter

Shadow of an Illusion
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:22 pm
Anyone watch The IT Crowd? It's by the sam people as Father Ted. I've only seen two episodes but it is worth the effort of watching tv.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:08 am
ice_illusion
Anyone watch The IT Crowd? It's by the sam people as Father Ted. I've only seen two episodes but it is worth the effort of watching tv.

I want to it looks funny but I keep forgeting it is on. What time and day is it on again?  

Masada

Shadow of an Illusion
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:43 am
Masada
ice_illusion

I want to it looks funny but I keep forgeting it is on. What time and day is it on again?

Either Friday or Saturday night.After 10.
I can't really remember.  
Gaian British Guild

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... 27 28 29 30 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games