Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Worst Things You Can Ever Say As A Pagan Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 134 135 136 137 138 139 ... 227 228 229 230 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:21 am
Kuri-yoru genso
seriously?? so druids were basically jury or judges?
Neither. They were the Scholars and Intellectuals of the Celts. They may have served in certain situations, but not only is that a generalization about their role that isn't universally applicable, but it's also a generalization about their sex.

Cyrus the Elder
Whilst not specifically "said"...

I...I really don't want to know what you stick in that thing! gonk
Pins I would wager.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:40 pm
DOODZ I just got this Raven Silverwolf book and gained learned a lot. I can SUMONZ a charizard now and I have cast an invisibility spell on it so only I can see it. I can get revenge now for the Burning Tymes. 9 million silenced in flames.  

rmcdra

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150

ShadowSharrow

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:22 am
Oh noes the new irish blasphemy law will bring back the byrning times and the persecution of Irish witches and pagans.

/headdesk  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:19 am
ShadowSharrow
Oh noes the new irish blasphemy law will bring back the byrning times and the persecution of Irish witches and pagans.

/headdesk
Oh? What is the new Law?  

TeaDidikai

IH_Zero

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:22 am
TeaDidikai
ShadowSharrow

/headdesk
Oh? What is the new Law?

From what I gathered, it's not a new law, but more a rewriting of one that's been on the books for years and years.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:08 am
I knew a person in high school who claimed to worship the Norse goddess Belldandy.  

guardian_rose

Wrath of Ezekiel

5,350 Points
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:35 pm
guardian_rose
I knew a person in high school who claimed to worship the Norse goddess Belldandy.
gonk rofl  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:47 pm
AngryRobotsInc.
TeaDidikai
ShadowSharrow

/headdesk
Oh? What is the new Law?

From what I gathered, it's not a new law, but more a rewriting of one that's been on the books for years and years.

Yup, basically the defmation law was amended.
It puts in place that it's a criminal act to publish words or images which deliberately offend a large number of people on religious grounds. So it's aimed at publishers not people and a case can only be took by the state.

http://blasphemy.ie/2009/07/07/dail-to-vote-on-blasphemy-law-tomorrow/

Quote:
Section 36 of the Bill covers publication or utterance of blasphemous matter. Section 37 covers seizure of copies of blasphemous statements. The full text of these sections is:

36. Publication or utterance of blasphemous matter.

(1) A person who publishes or utters blasphemous matter shall be guilty of an offence and shall be liable upon conviction on indictment to a fine not exceeding €100,000.

(2) For the purposes of this section, a person publishes or utters blasphemous matter if (a) he or she publishes or utters matter that is grossly abusive or insulting in relation to matters held sacred by any religion, thereby causing outrage among a substantial number of the adherents of that religion, and (b) he or she intends, by the publication or utterance of the matter concerned, to cause such outrage.

(3) It shall be a defence to proceedings for an offence under this section for the defendant to prove that a reasonable person would find genuine literary, artistic, political, scientific, or academic value in the matter to which the offence relates.

37. Seizure of copies of blasphemous statements.

(1) Where a person is convicted of an offence under section 36, the court may issue a warrant (a) authorising any member of the Garda Siochana to enter (if necessary by the use of reasonable force) at all reasonable times any premises (including a dwelling) at which he or she has reasonable grounds for believing that copies of the statement to which the offence related are to be found, and to search those premises and seize and remove all copies of the statement found therein, (b) directing the seizure and removal by any member of the Garda Siochana of all copies of the statement to which the offence related that are in the possession of any person, (c) specifying the manner in which copies so seized and removed shall be detained and stored by the Garda Siochana.

(2) A member of the Garda Siochana may (a) enter and search any premises, (b) seize, remove and detain any copy of a statement to which an offence under section 36 relates found therein or in the possession of any person, in accordance with a warrant under subsection (1).

(3) Upon final judgment being given in proceedings for an offence under section 36, anything seized and removed under subsection (2) shall be disposed of in accordance with such directions as the court may give upon an application by a member of the Garda Siochana in that behalf.

ShadowSharrow

Recursive Paradox

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:06 pm
I don't like that law. There are some religions that have abhorrent practices. Yet such a law could conceivably be used to defend them based on the fact that they would find calling their practices abhorrent as deeply offensive.

Has anyone done a legal analysis of the enforcement or planned enforcement of that law? Enforcement standards will play a big role in how this will play out.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:11 pm
Recursive Paradox
I don't like that law. There are some religions that have abhorrent practices. Yet such a law could conceivably be used to defend them based on the fact that they would find calling their practices abhorrent as deeply offensive.

Has anyone done a legal analysis of the enforcement or planned enforcement of that law? Enforcement standards will play a big role in how this will play out.

Someone I talk to on another forum who lives in Ireland says, as far as she knows, no one's really been prosecuted for it in a long time. It's just one of those laws that's on the books, but no one really cares about. That might just be the area she lives in, though.  

IH_Zero

Recursive Paradox

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:35 pm
AngryRobotsInc.
Recursive Paradox

Someone I talk to on another forum who lives in Ireland says, as far as she knows, no one's really been prosecuted for it in a long time. It's just one of those laws that's on the books, but no one really cares about. That might just be the area she lives in, though.

Unfortunately, laws like that tend to end up being excuses to harass people by enforcers who have a personal issue or corruption and need an excuse.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:10 pm
Interesting, the element of intention will likely be used as a shield for numerous cases.  

TeaDidikai

Czidnoma

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:59 am
From a "Wiccan" at my high school reunion:

"So, you know, Godsmack's 'Voodoo' is really about a magic ritual."  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:53 pm
The Druids are alive and well in a small Irish fishing village.  

TeaDidikai

Lance Kibagari

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:50 am
Wicca Fail
also... what is your fayness???

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 134 135 136 137 138 139 ... 227 228 229 230 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games