Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Knowing your dieties Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 11 12 13 14 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Neko_Bast

Tricky Cat

19,600 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:13 pm
AngryRobotsInc.
Wow, that was amazingly childish, but I did want to cover something I noticed while reading through this thread.

iolitefire

I don't believe all war goddesses or love goddesses are the same by any means. They may preside over similar fields but their behavior, mannerisms, and mythologies might be incredibly different. Look at Aphrodite and Bast. Both are considered to have some power over the powers of love and lust but they were different in many ways. Bast is more than that of course, and should be treated differently than other 'love goddesses'.

Bast is not a "love goddess." She is one of several goddess known as an Eye of Ra. She is vengeful, protective, and rather nasty at times. It was only through her association with Het-Hert, Mut, and Aset that she was softened, but only then to a love of the arts and music, really.

The closest you can get to her being a "love goddess" is that she was at times considered a protector of children and pregnant women.

THANK YOU!! I was sooooo going to corect this but you did it nicely. That girl really needs to read some more on other goddeses. There is no way Bast is a "love goddess" or a "goddess of lust."  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:21 pm
deadmanjake

Other than the age, what is innaccurate? I want something that is truly good.
Link me and I'll go over it again.

Note on Bast- were I the kind to say deities are "Patron/ess of XYZ", lust wouldn't be too unreasonable as I recall some of her worship included ecstatic orgies.  

TeaDidikai

Neko_Bast

Tricky Cat

19,600 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:37 pm
TeaDidikai
deadmanjake

Note on Bast- were I the kind to say deities are "Patron/ess of XYZ", lust wouldn't be too unreasonable as I recall some of her worship included ecstatic orgies.

It depends on who you talk to about her, but from what I have gathered about her, she is more about sensual plesure in life then lust or sex. Most books that have her in them are quoteing sources that are incorect. What I know about her I have learned durning meditation, from here per-Bast.org, and a couple of books on Egyption Paganism.

edit: although I try not to lable her as a "goddess of ________," for she has a complex personality.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:03 pm
Neko_Bast

It depends on who you talk to about her, but from what I have gathered about her, she is more about sensual plesure in life then lust or sex.
Not sure I agree there is a dicotemy there.  

TeaDidikai

IH_Zero

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:50 pm
TeaDidikai
deadmanjake

Most likely not in the temples. There was a huge deal with knowing the parentage of a child, and orgies could screw that up big time.

If Bast was a "love/lust goddess," we'd know. There were no real taboos preventing anyone from saying such things in ancient Egypt.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:31 pm
AngryRobotsInc.
Most likely not in the temples. There was a huge deal with knowing the parentage of a child, and orgies could screw that up big time.

If Bast was a "love/lust goddess," we'd know. There were no real taboos preventing anyone from saying such things in ancient Egypt.

Actually, I could have sworn that Herodotus tells of group sex rites in the main temple shrine at Bubastis as a function of "birthing" Mahes- and that such were part of the Mahes's priesthood rights as well.  

TeaDidikai

IH_Zero

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:55 pm
TeaDidikai
AngryRobotsInc.

Actually, I could have sworn that Herodotus tells of group sex rites in the main temple shrine at Bubastis as a function of "birthing" Mahes- and that such were part of the Mahes's priesthood rights as well.

From my reading, it was women pulling up their skirts (or some such) and shaking sistrums. I need to find my texts, and look into it more, before I'll say for certain though.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:24 pm
AngryRobotsInc.

From my reading, it was women pulling up their skirts (or some such) and shaking sistrums. I need to find my texts, and look into it more, before I'll say for certain though.
Sounds good. It's been ages since I read that stuff anyway.  

TeaDidikai

Neko_Bast

Tricky Cat

19,600 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:42 pm
AngryRobotsInc.
TeaDidikai
AngryRobotsInc.

Here is what I have read.

per-Bast.org: Myths, Sex and Sexuality
Additional ideas that have no known evidence from antiquity: religious prostitution, orgiastic dance rituals, visionary orgasm, or ritualistic stripteases. Religious prostitution appears to be a factor in Sumerian religion, but was not part of Egypt's due to the cultural significance placed upon ancestry and knowing a child's parentage. While dancing was important and female priests were frequently musicians and/or dancers [21], sex in the temple was considered a heresy; in the literal House of God, it simply didn't happen [22]. And while the idea of ritualistic strippers in a desert culture is amusing, it is a modern one. The ancient Egyptians frequently went around in light, see-through clothing or, alternately, no clothing at all.

per-Bast.org: Sex, Artemis, and Herodotus
Herodotus describes a festival of Bast/Artemis as a "licentious affair" in which women pulled up their skirts while shaking sistra [15]. Quite often scholars have interpreted this as meaning that all this risqué behavior indicated a divinity Who, as a cat, promoted sexual activity and playfulness -- but how much of this is an ancient text being filtered through a modern bias? The Egyptians were known for their parties, and Egyptian women had much more freedom than perhaps any other culture in the classical world. Could it be that Herodotus, in describing this festival, was describing how most festivals were in ancient Egypt? Or perhaps all this wild behavior was an attempt to appease Bast/Artemis? Sistra, after all, were shaken to appease gods [16]. And in the Contendings of Horus and Seth, Ra is appeased when Het-hert "reveals" Herself to Him [17].
(this one is when the Greeks started saying Bast was a form of Artemis, which we all know she is not.)  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:01 pm
Neko_Bast
Here is what I have read.

per-Bast.org: Myths, Sex and Sexuality
Additional ideas that have no known evidence from antiquity: religious prostitution, orgiastic dance rituals, visionary orgasm, or ritualistic stripteases. Religious prostitution appears to be a factor in Sumerian religion, but was not part of Egypt's due to the cultural significance placed upon ancestry and knowing a child's parentage. While dancing was important and female priests were frequently musicians and/or dancers [21], sex in the temple was considered a heresy; in the literal House of God, it simply didn't happen [22]. And while the idea of ritualistic strippers in a desert culture is amusing, it is a modern one. The ancient Egyptians frequently went around in light, see-through clothing or, alternately, no clothing at all.
What texts are those citations for?

per-Bast.org: Sex, Artemis, and Herodotus
Herodotus describes a festival of Bast/Artemis as a "licentious affair" in which women pulled up their skirts while shaking sistra [15]. Quite often scholars have interpreted this as meaning that all this risqué behavior indicated a divinity Who, as a cat, promoted sexual activity and playfulness -- but how much of this is an ancient text being filtered through a modern bias? The Egyptians were known for their parties, and Egyptian women had much more freedom than perhaps any other culture in the classical world. Could it be that Herodotus, in describing this festival, was describing how most festivals were in ancient Egypt? Or perhaps all this wild behavior was an attempt to appease Bast/Artemis? Sistra, after all, were shaken to appease gods [16]. And in the Contendings of Horus and Seth, Ra is appeased when Het-hert "reveals" Herself to Him [17].

I'm not so much looking through modern bias. I was trying to address Herodotus' writings first hand. But like I said- it has been ages since I read them.

Quote:
(this one is when the Greeks started saying Bast was a form of Artemis, which we all know she is not.)
Yes, but that wouldn't invalidate Herodotus' first hand accounts of temple rituals.  

TeaDidikai

Fiddlers Green

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:17 pm
Heroditus isn't exactly the most reliable source...
I mean, even Cicero brought his credibility into question...
And not whether he wrote the truth, but rather whether he was intentionally BSing, or whether he was just taking 3rd hand accounts and niavely documenting them as fact.

Father of Modern History indeed. rolleyes  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:19 pm
Fiddlers Green
Heroditus isn't exactly the most reliable source...
I mean, even Cicero brought his credibility into question...
Adn not whetehr he wrote the truth, but rather whether he was intentionally BSing, or whether he was just taking 3rd hand accounts and niavely documenting them as fact.

Father of Modern History indeed. rolleyes
wink Fair enough. But we need more infromation to toss it out the window.  

TeaDidikai

Neko_Bast

Tricky Cat

19,600 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:22 pm
here are the sorces

15. ibid.

16. Gay Robins, Women in Ancient Egypt, Harvard University Press

17. Miriam Lichtheim, translator, Ancient Egyptian Literature Vol. II, University of California Press

and

21. Dieter Arnold (Editor), Lanny Bell, Ragnhild Bjerre Finnestad (Editor), Byron E. Shafer, Temples of Ancient Egypt, Cornell University Press

22. ibid.

I'm not sure what ibid means.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:40 pm
Neko_Bast
here are the sorces

15. ibid.

16. Gay Robins, Women in Ancient Egypt, Harvard University Press

17. Miriam Lichtheim, translator, Ancient Egyptian Literature Vol. II, University of California Press

and

21. Dieter Arnold (Editor), Lanny Bell, Ragnhild Bjerre Finnestad (Editor), Byron E. Shafer, Temples of Ancient Egypt, Cornell University Press

22. ibid.

I'm not sure what ibid means.
"Ibid" esentially means "same source as the immediately preceding citation". So 22's "ibid" means it's the same source as 21. In order to know what 15 is referring to, we'll need 14 (or, if 14 is an "ibid", whatever number before 15 gives the source).  

Henry Dorsett Case

Neko_Bast

Tricky Cat

19,600 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:49 pm
ok...........this is funny..... rofl

14. Herodotus, Histories  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 11 12 13 14 [>] [»|]