Welcome to Gaia! ::

+ The Official 'Got Goth?' Guild +

Back to Guilds

Tags: goth, subculture, alternative 

Reply Extended Discussion
What do your parents think? Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 18 19 20 21 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

-Lasciate Ogni Speranza-

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 5:28 pm
My mom hopes it's a phase, and no one in my family knows I'm pagan. They'd all die if they knew. Then they would come back, destroy me with biblical nonsense (At least I think it's nonsense) and die again.

My dad doesn't seem to have an oppinion, but if he picks out my clothes they're always something very light or some shirt that is very unlike me and I'd shoot myself before wearing.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:26 am
My mom is grateful that I'm not into all those girly things. She likes the fact I don't want to go into Acrocrombie & Fitch and instead I like to go to Hot Topic. So basically, she thinks I'm a great daughter. Now, I'll take this time ro rant. My DOCTOR, whom is supposed to help me, kept a little secret from me and my mother. I did not respond to this very well and neither did she. To make a long story short, he didn't let my mom know I had Aspergers. Excuse me. Don't my feelings matter?! My mom YELLS at me because I am picky about everything. You know what? When your mother yells at you half the time and you don't know it, it's time to ask "why". I can't help the fact I'm picky. It's ME and I'd rather let her know if I don't like something. As a baby, if I didn't like what was being put on me, I'd absolutely refuse to wear it. That's funny. Actually, I made a grammar error. Now I'm too lazy to fix it. My mom is currently learning about Aspergers so she can understand me a little better and reduce her yelling rate. She doesn't yell at me as much anymore. Thank goodness.

My dad is a different story. He thinks I should stop being picky about everything and just do it. He is specifically disturbed by my food preferences. Another thing he dislikes is the fact I like to leave the car door open, when it's cold. This is only when I'm at school. Since I break my bookbags so much, I have this huge box thing that I carry around. Now I do close the door before getting it out of the car. Some things I do just makes him ask "WHY". It's funny when I like something he doesn't. He'll insult something and then I'll go, "But I like [insert subject here]!".

My parents like my styles. Okay, sometimes. My dad still thinks it's weird that I like Chumley from Yu-Gi-Oh GX. At first, I didn't think I'd like him either. He grew on me. Unlike some parents, my parents like to keep me happy with who I am. IF I was interested in Acrocrombie & Fitch, I bet my parents wouldn't make too much of a big deal out of it. They'll ask WHY more, but it's still me. However, I prefer Hot Topic. It's just those funny captions that make me go "OH, I WANT IT!". I know I like to be unique, but I like to try out things in style too. Sometimes, I like to use old styles. My parents like me and they don't want me to be someone I'm not. Neither do I. It's just hard to fit in with a group of friends that don't understand why I like something. My friends are almost COMPLETELY different from me. There's only about...one similiarity: we're all completely crazy.

I have a lot of things in common with my parents. It's not like we're completely different from each other. My life would be perfect if I just had the right friends... ninja . My dad thinks I am definitely his daughter. I have to agree that my parents ARE my true parents. They never go "Where did I go wrong?! scream ". I have my negative and positive traits just like everyone else. The end. ninja

ProphecyEmpress

Dangerous Worshipper

10,300 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

~:[I Heart Maury]:~

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:24 pm
Well at first my mom didnt like it, and eventually she got used to it and was ok with it. As for my father, its a different story. He hates it and he's really against it. He always says this when im wearing my normal clothing, "Ashley what did i tell you about that style?!" and when we go shopping he always says "no pants with chains!" evil gosh, im so happy i dont live with him!! (Ill say this next sentence in a clean version) I dont give a freaking crud of what he thinks of my style. I dont even live with him and Ill be the way I want to be and if he doesnt like it, then he can say "goodbye" to my weekend visits.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:53 pm
[ Message temporarily off-line ]  

Far-From-Alone

DeaTh_WiLL_CoNQuER

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:12 am
They act as if they don't notice...but always makes a show when were outside of home that I'm dressing too 'dark'. And maybe that it's time for a 'girly look change'.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:05 pm
This afternoon my sister told on my grandmum. She said that my grandmum said that she was going to try & change the whole "me being 'goth'" thing, & getting me to like light colors. i said, "Tell her I said GOOD LUCK WITH THAT!!!". Also, my mum is quite alright with it! If I moved back in with her in Atlanta, Ga she was actually going to let me dye my hair BLACK!!!! Unfortunatly I had to do what was best for me & move in with my grandmother. Atleast I didn't have to go to school for a few weeks and not get any free days taken away!! My dad hates it. I don't feel like he accepts me as much as he use to. I wish i could live with my mum so I could have more privs. but she lives with a f-ed up bf that I don't want to live with. Oh well. My life is okay, so it doesn't totally suck. I might get to hang with my mum all day tomorrow! I can't wait!

Also, a year ago my dad, noisy godparent, grandmother, & grandfather thought it was a faze... I'll show them!!!  

deadrose_gothik

xXMarmalade_ChainsawXx

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 7:31 am
i live with my mom and she's cool with the whole thing she even periced my nose for me but she says my music gives her a headache but my dad is way worse he's a cop so when he see's me dressed in tripp pants and morbid t's he flips out and starts acting like eney other stereotype person thinking i'm a little hoodlem just wanting to cause trouble when he knows i'm not like that and every time i get a bad grady at school or get in trouble he blames it on my clothes so now when he ask's if i want to come to his house and see him i tell him F**K no untill he can except people for who they are  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:53 pm
My parents don't really know. I think they can guess a little bit, since I'm wearing increasingly more black clothing, and coming home with Hot Topic bags a lot. Mummy doesn't really like me buying things from Hot Topic, probably because she thinks it's useless. And that store is really expensive... *grumbles* At first she didn't even want me listening to Evanescence. Well, she's used to Evanescence, but I didn't know how she'd react to me buying Seether's Disclaimer II album. We both thing Broken is a lovely song, but the album has a parental advisory and I didn't know anything about Seether except that Amy Lee and Shaun Morgan were dating and that they did Broken. I hid it in a box of feminine products until such time as I could risk listening to more than Broken. I have to keep my goth self sort of hidden for now, but once I graduate from high school, the world better watch its back...  

EvFaerAshlynn

LittleCherryPi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:02 pm
My mom is glad that I'm not one of those girls who dresses like a slut, and who just follows the trends. The only thing that bothers her is the music, she doesn't like screaming music, it makes her nervous. I think the main thing is that I know who I am, and I try not to let what other people think get to me. To any person who looks at me, I am a happy, energetic, 17 year old who likes to read, draw, drink coffee, cook, and listen to music. The one thing my mother insists upon is if I want to get a piercing (other than my ears) or a tattoo I have to wait until I go to college ( 6 1/2 months). Although, I know she hopes I don't get either a piercing or a tattoo, I'm probably going to have to disappoint her a little there. But really, my mom and I have a pretty good relationship, I mean yeah, there are times I want to rip her throat out, but she is an extremely smart person. I'll stop rambling now.. lol  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:28 pm
My stepdad doesn't really care. I think he equates me to Abby from NCIS. My mum however, being the fundamentalist she is, hates the fact that I'm goth, hates the black clothes, the makeup, everything. Which is why it's so humerous that my fiance is goth as well. I once told her that I was going to have a gothic wedding and asked if she would come and she said no. Which is why she's not invited to my handfasting unless she can keep her viewpoints to herself. My real dad on the other hand. He doesn't see anything wrong with it. He looks at it as an expression of my viewpoints and who I am on the inside. Of course daddy would understand, we have the same mental illness (bipolar).  

Raze Krieger

limoria

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:35 pm
my parents incuraged me to explore my boundarys wile in highschool as long as i dident do any thing iligeal. i dont wear the clothes any more because people at school started copying me and my friends (also i have to start getting ready for college next year)  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:27 am
I have a protective family. It generally took my parents about a year to get used to me who I am, and to accept that I can take care of myself, because being the youngest its a hard thing for a big family to grasp.

Now we're sort of a close family again, just with the freak in the center.
But I suspect my mother uses me to freak out her mother in law... whenever my grandparents come round shes always more interested in my fashion than usual.  

2on

Lacinia

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:50 am
Well, I hardly ever label myself, but I like many things which could be considered as "gothic", so...

My parents? They're okay with it. I've worn black since the elementary school (well, maybe not always, but mostly anyway, after a pair of first years) so they're pretty much used to it. Solitude is okay for them as well, being the only child it's kind of self-evident fact (even though they don't like me spending my time at computer 24/7...). I heard little complains about me not wanting suntan few years ago, but they've used to it by now. I'm "the good child" anyway mrgreen

About music. My stepmother likes metal and classical as well, so she's okay. My father complains every once in a while for that classical being "elitistic" and some of my other music "melancholy groaning", but that's told with a tint of humour in it, so it doesn't bother me at all.

We are family that is pretty liberal with religions (my stepmother is a tolerant christian priest and father something near buddhism...) so my pagan beliefs don't bother them. I'm lucky to have this liberal family 4laugh (and thank goodness nobody in this house is a fundamentalist. That would be unbearable.)  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:02 am
my parents are actually ok with it.my mom just tells me not to go crzy about things ang its good.my dad just doesnt pay me any attention  

disturbedwiccan

Seanna

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:16 am
my mom doesn't really know. At least not to what extent I am what I am. I'll go to the store with her and buy a Dresden Dolls or Mudvayne CD right in front of her, but she has no idea about the lyrics. I wear black every day, but I think she kind of just ignores that.
I can't even really talk to her about it. I've tried. I saw a guy wearing a really neat trench coat and said, "that's really cool, I wouldn't mind getting one," and her response was, "I'm surprised the school lets him wear that after Columbine" or she'll comment how she thinks some kids are witches or something cause they wear all black, to which I roll my eyes and shut my mouth. It's pretty much pointless trying to talk to her about it. So she just ignores what I am and I just don't tell her everything. Ignorance is bliss for her I guess.  
Extended Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 18 19 20 21 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff