Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Recommended Reading List Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

guardian_rose

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:56 pm
TeaDidikai
guardian_rose

I always figured that an occult practice was one that was done by a cult.
Where does this figuring come from?
Quote:

Cults are usually religions that are either unpopular, go against cultural norms, or have few followers.
That's not what cult means.

Quote:
According to some religious leaders, such as those of the Church of Mormon, Paganism is considered a cult.
They're wrong. ~shrugs~

That all depends on who's in charge, now doesn't it.

cult–noun
1. a particular system of religious worship, esp. with reference to its rites and ceremonies.
2. an instance of great veneration of a person, ideal, or thing, esp. as manifested by a body of admirers: the physical fitness cult.
3. the object of such devotion.
4. a group or sect bound together by veneration of the same thing, person, ideal, etc.
5. Sociology. a group having a sacred ideology and a set of rites centering around their sacred symbols.
6. a religion or sect considered to be false, unorthodox, or extremist, with members often living outside of conventional society under the direction of a charismatic leader.
7. the members of such a religion or sect.
8. any system for treating human sickness that originated by a person usually claiming to have sole insight into the nature of disease, and that employs methods regarded as unorthodox or unscientific.

The definition is from dictionary.com. I bolded number 6 for you. This is what I am getting at. Unorthodox. Compared to contemporary religions, wicca and paganism fit in this definition.

On another note... how weird that sociology would come up.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:10 pm
It's saying that it's the sociological definition, as opposed to a regular usage.  

Collowrath

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:18 pm
guardian_rose

That all depends on who's in charge, now doesn't it.

cult–noun
1. a particular system of religious worship, esp. with reference to its rites and ceremonies.
2. an instance of great veneration of a person, ideal, or thing, esp. as manifested by a body of admirers: the physical fitness cult.
3. the object of such devotion.
4. a group or sect bound together by veneration of the same thing, person, ideal, etc.
5. Sociology. a group having a sacred ideology and a set of rites centering around their sacred symbols.
6. a religion or sect considered to be false, unorthodox, or extremist, with members often living outside of conventional society under the direction of a charismatic leader.
7. the members of such a religion or sect.
8. any system for treating human sickness that originated by a person usually claiming to have sole insight into the nature of disease, and that employs methods regarded as unorthodox or unscientific.

The definition is from dictionary.com. I bolded number 6 for you. This is what I am getting at. Unorthodox. Compared to contemporary religions, wicca and paganism fit in this definition.

On another note... how weird that sociology would come up.

Just because you focus on one definition, it doesn't make the other definitions invalid neutral I have underlined the definitions (in case you didn't happen to see them when you posted your message) that don't hold the negative "drinking special kool-aid and wear blue jogging suits" connotation. Those definitions still fully apply in terms of religion being a cult.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:34 pm
I love this! Thank you so much! ^^
Ahh, yes, err... I have a question.

Anything covering Buddhism or other pagan religions? o.o;;

starpocalypse

Tipsy Gekko

River_Moonwolf

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:39 pm
Looked at the first post, not sure if this has been covered, but Madeleine L'Engle's work covers more than those two. A Swiftly Tilting Planet carries the story forward, and as I recall, the twins get a couple of books themselves  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:47 pm
May I suggest novels?

Angels and Demons -- Dan Brown
Da Vinci Code -- Dan Brown

They're more science related than pagan, but still going against Christianity and Catholicism. In the Da Vinci Code, it's very similiar to some pagan religions.

OOO! I also recommend The Unholy Grail -- I forget the author. ._.

FABULOUS. ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS.

They even make a connection to Baphomet! : D

starpocalypse

Tipsy Gekko

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:29 pm
City Dreamer
May I suggest novels?

Angels and Demons -- Dan Brown
Da Vinci Code -- Dan Brown

They're more science related than pagan, but still going against Christianity and Catholicism. In the Da Vinci Code, it's very similiar to some pagan religions.
What pagan religions?
And Brown's writing style is craptastic.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:58 pm
A couple of really good books that I've read.
Wicca: A guide For the Solitary Practioner - I can't remember ht author.
Goth Craft - Raven Digitalis  

redtearsblackwings

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:18 pm
redtearsblackwings

Wicca: A guide For the Solitary Practioner - I can't remember ht author.
Scott Cunningham. It's an okayish book for magic and eclectic neo-paganism 98, but it isn't actually about Wica and it doesn't offer a whole lot more than the basics of Standing Stone tradition.

Quote:
It's basically a Hot Topic version of Cunningham's book.

The understanding is poor, except for a small commentary on goth fashion, but I find that leaves something to be desired as well.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:09 pm
City Dreamer
They're more science related than pagan, but still going against Christianity and Catholicism.

...is this seen as a good thing?

redtearsblackwings

I literally could not force myself to sit through that book. I ended up giving it to a friend who told me he probably wouldn't ever read it either.  

Nines19

rmcdra

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:11 am
Nines19
City Dreamer
They're more science related than pagan, but still going against Christianity and Catholicism.

...is this seen as a good thing?

I second that and would also like to point out that Catholicism is a branch of Christianity, not a separate religion. Also I would like to know how exactly does Brown's books go against Christianity?  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:51 pm
I apologize ahead of time if this is a repeat, but does anybody know if Konstantinos' books are any good?  

DemoniaFairy

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:12 pm
DemoniaFairy
I apologize ahead of time if this is a repeat, but does anybody know if Konstantinos' books are any good?
He tends to get mixed reviews around here.

To a lot of folks, he comes across as having more to say about style than substance.
Myself, I think some of the kernels of truth in his books are worth sifting through the rest of the book, but it would be best to keep a salt lick handy.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:19 pm
TeaDidikai
Myself, I think some of the kernels of truth in his books are worth sifting through the rest of the book, but it would be best to keep a salt lick handy.

This is my (very limited) understanding as well.  

Nines19

iSpikeDog

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:41 pm
i can't see "wicca - a guide for the solitary practioner" on your list... it guided me quite well.. and it did not tell me to do everything the book said... it said it had to come from my mind, soul, and heart... it was very accurate... my gf used the same book and she's been practicing for about 5 or 6 years.... still... brightest blessing brothers and sisters  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff