Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Official Warhammer 40,000 and Tabletop Gaming Guild

Back to Guilds

The Official Gaian Home of Tabletop Gaming 

Tags: Games Workshop, Tabletop, Warhammer, Gaming, Wargaming 

Reply Age of Sigmar Discussion
The Vampire Counts Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 18 19 20 21 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Lethkhar

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:32 pm
Reddemon
EliotJamesRookwood
Eventually I want to re-paint and re-do the theme of my army. All I need now, is a paint scheme I like, and I theme that I'll enjoy, any suggestions? xd
Take a lord, and give him a red jacket and white gloves! Then paint the rest of the zombies as one might, but they will never move in a straight line, just right diagionally and left diagionally XD

Michael Jackson Vampire Counts?

What has this world come to.... gonk  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:05 pm
Lethkhar
Reddemon
EliotJamesRookwood
Eventually I want to re-paint and re-do the theme of my army. All I need now, is a paint scheme I like, and I theme that I'll enjoy, any suggestions? xd
Take a lord, and give him a red jacket and white gloves! Then paint the rest of the zombies as one might, but they will never move in a straight line, just right diagionally and left diagionally XD

Michael Jackson Vampire Counts?

What has this world come to.... gonk
See, then it would be harder for your opponet to think straight XD  

Reddemon

Ryu Takenada

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:14 am
Hey i have a question has anyone used VC in warbands and if so what did you use?  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:20 pm
Ryu Takenada
Hey i have a question has anyone used VC in warbands and if so what did you use?

I saw someone use 'em.

2 Necromancers unupgraded (So it's 4 Power and 4 Dispel Dice), or maybe the one power familiar (Don't have the costs handy).

A good deal of Zombies and Skeletons.

Give all level one necromancers Invocation. Lookie, your now facing 800pts of Undead with 500 points of Ogres, and the dead just keep growing. Have fun.  

Drachyench

EliotJamesRookwood

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:41 pm
Ryu Takenada

Extensively. Necromancer lvl. 2 with power familiar costs exactly 150pts, the limit a character can be, and he generates in total 4 dispel dice, and 5 power, and can cast 2 spells. Your opponent may not like you for taking this, and if your necro dies, your done.

Ghouls I have found to be rather useful in 500 pt games, as they are relatively cheap, and effective for dealing with general light armoured troopers, you can take 20 of them and it only costs 160. You can divide them up to units of 10 or one big unit. They are rather useful, as they are actually alive, and can march without being close to the general. As well, they skirmish, and are at -1 to hit against shooting.

Fell bats are also quite useful in small point games, as your opponent most likely won't be expectating them. I'm not sure how many the warband rules permits you to take, but even a couple of these can be very useful in messing around with enemy units, killing the wizard they might have, or distracting the shooters by making them fight instead of shoot. You can also use them in conjunction with a Strigoi with Bat form. The Strigoi will cost 125, but more importantly you'll have a flying character with WS 6 S 5, and 4 re-rollable attacks (first round only) In small points, he is quite a bargain and can be used effectively to kill troops quickly.

Dire wolves have never served me well, due to my nature of getting bored with them, but they can be useful with their 18 inch movement, and S 4 on the charge. If you use two units of 5 in unison with a small amount of skeletons , this can do well.

Now, something that seems a waste of points, but it can actually help you. Black Knights. They might cost 25 points a model, with a total of 125 for 5, without command, but they are heavy calvary, and if they can get hits in, will destroy units by themselves. Like the dire wolves, if they have a base of skeletons(10 or so to start with, then add on) which takes the charge, and then they hit a flank, they can decimate units. Being heavy calvary, they'll have 2+ armour saves, which most opponents will be unprepared to deal with, and in games like these, even if they don't do as much damage as they should, they won't take any extra damage.

For zombies, don't bother. You can summon some of them, but don't waste actual points on them.

For an alternative necromancer try a lvl. 2 with book of arkhan (bound spell 3- Vanhel's Danse Macabre(normally cast on a 9+ 8' movement for any undead) As well as a power stone. The bound spell grants one free spell, though if you roll a 1 on a d6 after you use it, it gets exhausted. Moreover, in one round of magic, your single necromancer can cast two spells with 3 power dice(+2 dice due to the power stone), and if your opponent somehow manages to dispel those, you can also use your bound spell(praying it doesn't disappear).

Skeletons are usually good to take, one or two units, of only about 10 or so, hand weapons, light armour and shields make them decent enough, and you can make more.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:21 pm
ok so what is best when starting at 250 since the warbands in my area is doing a escalation format  

Ryu Takenada

EliotJamesRookwood

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:25 pm
Ryu Takenada
ok so what is best when starting at 250 since the warbands in my area is doing a escalation format

Well, depends on what type of army you want. If you want a necromancer take him, if you want a face paced warband take the Strigoi. If you want to really mess up people, see if you can take a 150pts for the lvl.2 Necro, with 50pts of magic equipment, then 10 skeletons, if not, start with a lvl. 1 necromancer, and build him up later on. Make him as expensive as you can, with 5 power dice, and 4 dispel dice. Then take two units of skeletons of 5, no command, with light armour and shields. They may not be very strong to begin with, but pump one unit with 2d6 (cast on a 7+) one round, and then do the same to the other and things will look alright. If your necro has to be under a certain point value, try to get him to at least level 2 necro(100pts).  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:30 pm
EliotJamesRookwood
Ryu Takenada

Well, depends on what type of army you want. If you want a necromancer take him, if you want a face paced warband take the Strigoi. If you want to really mess up people, see if you can take a 150pts for the lvl.2 Necro, with 50pts of magic equipment, then 10 skeletons, if not, start with a lvl. 1 necromancer, and build him up later on. Make him as expensive as you can, with 5 power dice, and 4 dispel dice. Then take two units of skeletons of 5, no command, with light armour and shields. They may not be very strong to begin with, but pump one unit with 2d6 (cast on a 7+) one round, and then do the same to the other and things will look alright. If your necro has to be under a certain point value, try to get him to at least level 2 necro(100pts).

Mm...I'm not very experienced when it comes to Vampire Counts, but it really seems like you're putting all your eggs into one basket there. If they focus-fire on your necromancer (And they're almost sure to be expecting you to bring a necromancer...) and kill it in one or two turns, you're screwed.  

Lethkhar

EliotJamesRookwood

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:30 pm
Lethkhar
EliotJamesRookwood
Ryu Takenada

Mm...I'm not very experienced when it comes to Vampire Counts, but it really seems like you're putting all your eggs into one basket there. If they focus-fire on your necromancer (And they're almost sure to be expecting you to bring a necromancer...) and kill it in one or two turns, you're screwed.

Actually, your screwed with whatever character you take. Its an undead thing, the necromancer is a double-edged sword. He certainly is very useful. and in small points very deadly, but he's also vulnerable, very vulnerable. If you really want to piss someone off, you can make him ethereal for 45pts, and that way, he can move through solid objects, and won't have to worry about any shooting, the only thing that can kill him is combat res, or magic.

But more on other characters. If they kill your other characters, thrall, wight lord, (wraiths can be useful, especially with Terror and being ethereal, but only 2 S 5 attacks at WS 3? Not very good at all.) then your army is gone. Whoever leads your army in an undead army, if they die, your army starts to crumble. 2d6 leadership test, minus your leadership. So if your LD 3 skeletons start crumbling and you roll a 5 (lucky you) 2 models are lost every round before combat begins.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:33 pm
Ryu Takenada

Give me the limits imposed on you, and I can give you a series of characters to use, strengths and weaknesses. If you can't use an actual character, well your pretty much screwed, but you should be able to.  

EliotJamesRookwood

Ryu Takenada

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:05 pm
my restrictions are:

must have 2 core

no more than 10 units

may include up to one special and one rare or only two specials

2 hero level characters allowed yet thier combines points cost (including upgrades,equipment, ablilities and the like) can't exceed 150 points

must have one character to be general

do not have to have a necromancer to lead

may include one warmachine or chariot

may have one flying unit or creature

minium unit size for infantry is 3 calvary is 2 and ghosts and 40mm or larger is 1  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:26 pm
Ryu Takenada
my restrictions are:

must have 2 core

no more than 10 units

may include up to one special and one rare or only two specials

2 hero level characters allowed yet thier combines points cost (including upgrades,equipment, ablilities and the like) can't exceed 150 points

must have one character to be general

do not have to have a necromancer to lead

may include one warmachine or chariot

may have one flying unit or creature

minium unit size for infantry is 3 calvary is 2 and ghosts and 40mm or larger is 1

Lovely, now my second question, do you want to wade in combat or magic people to death? Do you want the strong combat-oriented character, or the magic-user? I like both, and have used both, they naturally both have their advantages and disadvantages, and I'll go over them after you tell me which you prefer: the creepy shrivelled wizard raising legions of undead, or the dark black figure fighting with sword in hand, drinking the blood of his slain enemies?  

EliotJamesRookwood

Ryu Takenada

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:12 am
the shrivled wizard that raises undead  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:49 pm
Ryu Takenada
the shrivled wizard that raises undead

Alright then, if you want to have a solid wizard, simply make your first character a lvl.2 necromancer. Thats 100pts right there. He has 4 power dice, 3 dispel dice.

Get yourself one unit of 10 ghouls with a ghast. 90pts
Then two units of 3 skeletons with light armour and shields. 60pts

Thats one option = 250pts

This list allows you to have your 10 ghouls with a ghast leader which don't need magic to boost them. They also serve to screen your troops while you add on to them. Place them as skirmishers covering your skeletons and necromancer. Your necromancer's only concern is raising more skeletons and quickly. If you want to play it safe roll 2 dice, and cast on 3+. If you feel a little more risky, go for 7+, try to avoid 11+, its extremely risky, though the pay-offs are great. If you need to cast the other spell (Invocation of Nehek is a must), then use the 3 dice, and use the remaining die to cast Invocation of Nehek on a 3+. Two thirds of the time it should cast, though your opponent will probably dispel it. Now, you want to make sure your ghouls are a few inches away from your skeletons, as they most likely won't be able to take a charge. When they are charged have them flee in response, hopefully leaving your opponent in unfortunate position of being charged by two skeleton units. If your lucky the ghouls will rally with the +1 leadership your necromancer grants them. Thats one option available to you, or you can simply have the ghouls take the charge, and move up your skeletons to greet them. Try not to get stuck standing still, and letting your opponent surround you. Move up slowly, 4' a turn. Prepare yourself for flank charges, and be prepared to have your skeletons intercept.

Of course you also need to remember that fear is your friend, when a unit charges them make sure to have them take a fear test. Likewise when you charge them make sure they take their fear test, even if they outnumber you, if they fail they'll hit on 6's in the first round, a bonus. Tell me if you want an alternate list, or if you like that one.  

EliotJamesRookwood

Ryu Takenada

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:44 pm
Hmm sounds interersting i think i can do this but just in case what would be the alternative to this list  
Age of Sigmar Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 18 19 20 21 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff