Welcome to Gaia! ::

Harry Potter Guild of Gaia

Back to Guilds

The most active Harry Potter and Discussion guild in Gaia! 

Tags: Harry Potter, books, Discussion, Literate, Events 

Reply Harry Potter Guild of Gaia
The Hogwarts Monthly! May Issue 2015 [OPEN READ ME] Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 24 25 26 27 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Are you ready for the new issue !?
  Yes!!
  I didn't know we had a paper.
  Can I please be a writer !?
View Results

HogwartsMonthlyEditor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:20 am
Issue Name: November Issue
Issue Number: 2.11
Editors: Lyra Elizabeth

Table of Contents:

Page 1: Table of Contents
Page 2: BREAKING NEWS!!!
Page 3: Who is Madame Umbra?
Page 4: Birthdays
Page 5: Ask the Elf
Page 6: Help in the Kitchen?
Page 7: The Latest in Divination
Page 8: Just for Fun
Page 9: Muggle Watch
Page 10: Member of the Month
Page 11: Around Hogwarts
Page 12: Note from the Editor
Page 13: Staff  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:21 am

╰☆╮╰☆╮╰☆╮╰☆╮╰☆╮╰☆╮╰☆╮╰☆╮╰☆╮

Breaking News!

Astronomy Teacher/Hogwarts Monthly Editor/Dueling Club Instructor/ Graduate/ Honorary Member/ever-so helpful member/ Hogwarts Express Trolley witch--- seriously there are more, but it could take forever to mention them all, Tina Aurora (Avatar34) has been sacked! As of now, she is no longer serving in any of the above capacities.
I bet you're wondering why! If you, like me, read Professor Adonis's recent announcement, you may have noticed he didn't mention A LOT of crucial information. However, he did mention a "dreadful shock."
Thanks to a few anonymous sources, I've learned that Professor Aurora is accused of STEALING from Professor Adonis. Yes, stealing! No wonder the Headmaster was in shock!
One of the sources, through tears, stated "Professor Aurora has acted in a way that I never believed was possible."
Although what exactly Professor Aurora has stolen remains unclear right now (my guess would be information), I am told that there was a reliable eyewitness to the crime!
This recent situation could explain why Fright Week 2010 has yet to begin! Even though the Mod Squad is busy dealing with a possible theft by one of HPGoG's most trusted members, Professor Adonis assures me that there WILL BE a Fright Week 2010.
There are many unanswered questions.
I can only hope that the answers will be revealed when Fright Week 2010 begins.
Which leads to another question! When will Fright Week 2010 begin?

HME

HogwartsMonthlyEditor

HogwartsMonthlyEditor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:21 am

Who is Madame Umbra?

When Professor Adonis informed HPGoG that Tina Aurora (Avatar34) was removed from all of her positions,
he mentioned, rather slyly, "an old colleague."
Who is this "old colleague" and why haven't we heard about her before?
After a long night of investigative reporting, I headed to Professor Adonis's office and demanded some more information about his "old colleague."
Here's everything our Headmaster had to say.
"Well gosh! It's not easy finding a replacement for someone like
Tina with very short notice! Madame Maeror Meror Umbra is an extremely able Astronomy Professor. When I got the job as Headmaster, Madame Umbra was my successor as Astronomy Professor..."
"She's been around for ages, just before your time..."
"I know that it will take some time for others in HPGoG to get used to her, but to say that she's creepy? That's absurd, she hasn't even done much yet! She's harmless, why should you think otherwise?..."
"Well all of the other Heads are busy with their other duties! I couldn't ask them to take on an additional duty! Thanks to the recent situation, we've had to reorganize our entire Fright Week 2010 plan!..."
"LOOK I DON'T WANT TO DISCUSS TINA AURORA RIGHT NOW. I STATED BEFORE THAT I WOULDN'T ANSWER QUESTIONS, AND I'VE ALREADY ANSWERED MANY OF YOURS, SO PLEASE KINDLY LEAVE MY OFFICE!!!"
As you may have noticed, the Headmaster became extremely irritated near the end of our interview once I mentioned Professor Tina Aurora. Unfortunately, I was barred from his office and unable to learn anything else about Professor Umbra. Is this mysterious Professor Umbra really as harmless as he suggests?

HME

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:23 am

November Birthdays

There are only three birthdays to celebrate this month:
tealflower1928 (November 2)
IceeWitch (November 16)
B-A-Y-F-C (November 23)

Make sure to wish these three a very happy birthday, especially our dedicated Head Elf IceeWitch!

User Image
Have a Happy Birthday and a fun Fright Week!!

If your birthday is in November, but is not listed here, please post in this thread.

Lyra Elizabeth

HogwartsMonthlyEditor

HogwartsMonthlyEditor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:23 am

Ask the Elf!

Dear Ask The Elf,

What is the deal with goblins? They seem to be one of the most grumpiest, wizard-and-witch-hating
species in the magykal world. Even centaurs aren't as bad as goblins. The other day I went into Gringotts, as you do, and before I even managed to take two steps into the building two goblins were in my face asking 'What was I doing?' 'Can we show you the door?' 'Money???' 'Gold' 'Jewels'. Honestly, they are grumpy, money-grabbing, human-hating creatures, and we have never done an injustice to them. Once, even after the death of my great-aunt in her will I was given her red diamond gold-banded engraved ring, the next day I was visited by a goblin who insisted on the return of the ring to him and his species, who on earth demands such a thing, of course I told him to leave. I digress, Dear Ask the Elf, please explain the ridiculousness of their nature, please.

From,
Jue Les

Dear Ma'm,

The nature of the goblins is not entirely their own fault, from the beginning goblins were a species who kept to themselves, they were masters at blacksmithing and creating items of great value, the witches and wizards learned of this and soon they wished to have the secrets of their trade, along with all the valuables that they had created, the goblins wouldn't give them secrets but, would sell their crafts, but it wasn't 'sell' as humans knew it, it was 'rented until death', which is why the incident with your great-aunts ring happened, the goblin who visited it expected its return. Moving on, the nature of the goblins towards humans worsened as the witches and wizards who had inherited the crafts of the goblins were asked to return it, then wars broke out between humans and goblins, the goblins were very clever, but they didn't possess the magyk which we had captured. For goblins were denied anything to do with wandlore. The wars between the goblins and humans made both sides wary and spiteful towards each other after the wars, the goblins who hold grudges longer then humans came out worse after the wars, and so even now they are wary and hateful towards anyone who holds a wand.

Have a good day ma'm.

Yours always,
Ask the Elf

The Queen Lana (Lana)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:24 am

Trouble in the Kitchen?

Pumpkin Cakes

Halloween may be over, but pumpkin is tasty any time of the year! Please enjoy!

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Ingredients: (Makes about 24 Pumpkin Cakes)
  • 1 box (18 oz.) Spice cake mix
  • 1 can (15 oz.) pure pumpkin
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 1 (10 oz.) bag of cinnamon chips (located near chocolate chips in many stores)

Directions:

• Step 1: Preheat oven to 350F.
  • Step 2: Coat about twenty-four (24) 2 1/2-inch muffin cups with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
  • Step 3: In a bowl, mix ALL ingredients together by hand.
  • Step 4: Place a heaping amount of the mix into each muffin tin. (Note: these do not rise very much, so fill to almost the top of the muffin tin)
  • Step 5: Bake for about 25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
  • Step 6: Let cool for 5 minutes and remove from the tins. Cool on wax paper.
  • Step 7: Store muffins with wax paper underneath, these are very moist and will stick together.

Source: Recipe & Picture

Stardust Disaster

HogwartsMonthlyEditor

HogwartsMonthlyEditor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:25 am

The Latest in Divination

User Image Libra Horoscope for November 2010 (Sept. 23 - Oct. 22)

Venus re-enters your sign this month, thanks to retrograde action. It re-joins Saturn already in your sign. Having Saturn in your sign is liking climbing the highest mountain you can think of. Having Venus in your sign is like having the scenery be really lovely while you do it.

Yours isn’t the only sign in the spotlight this month, though. This is also Scorpio month. Scorpio is like the medicine man for your financial life. The time around the 5th and 6th is the time to make your annual financial wish at the Scorpio new moon. As long as it’s not too greedy, you’ve got a shot at manifesting it.

Mercury is also in Scorpio until the 8th. Mercury can help you think about the psychological aspect of money, since there’s always a psychological aspect to how we handle money. Venus retrograde in Scorpio until the 7th can either help you bring money in or help you be philosophical about what’s already gone out.

The problematic planet continues to be Pluto, currently taking special aim at those Libras born in late September. Pluto is in your solar 4th house of family, and even those who aren’t born in late September are confronting at least some elements of hosting Pluto in this sensitive spot. Pluto is eventually helpful when in a position like this, but usually before he’s helpful, he brings up displeasure. Something in your family situation is not to Pluto’s liking, and in his efforts to fix it he’ll tend to make you not too happy with things. The bottom line is that you may need to radically re-think at least one family relationship.

User Image Aquarius Horoscope for October 2010 (Jan. 20 - Feb. 18 )

There’s just a ton of Scorpio energy in the skies this month, a trend that began in October. You’ll want to take advantage of the sun in Scorpio from the 23rd of October through the 21st of November. This sun transit helps you employ various devices and stratagems to figure out what’s really going on in your career these days. Put on your detective hat if need be to uncover the straight dope.

I’m not saying you actually need to do any spying, but if you’re a supervisor it’s time to do a bit of the ‘undercover boss’ thing. If you’re an entrepreneur, it’s time to figure out how good your customer service really is. If you’re uncertain as to what your career should be, it’s time to check out educational programs. If none of those apply, it’s just time to look into career advancement.

Your annual career new moon takes place on the 5th or the 6th of the month, depending on where you live. In fact, it is during the first week of the month that the career energy is most potent, as Mercury and Venus are in Scorpio at this time also. This is the time to take charge of your own visibility. The Venus retrograde energy is a little different from the others, though, in the sense that it’s more of a seductress. Try not to give into temptation nor lead others into it.

Your most powerful time for combining adherence to duty with professional charm is around the 1st, when Venus connects with Pluto in Capricorn. Take advantage.

After the 21st, more of the energy is centered on your social life, but there will be more career energy in December, so don’t relax too much.

User Image Pisces Horoscope for October 2010 (Feb. 19 - Mar. 20)

Charming Venus retrogrades in November from sexy Scorpio back into your sexy solar 8th house. Believe in your own powers of attraction and allure this month. The sizzling, even sinful, energy is at its peak during the first week of the month, but continues throughout November in some form.

Your chart is just not in a dutiful mood right now, even though duty may call in the form of Sagittarian career energy throughout the month. Indeed, there’s so much travel energy in your chart, it would rather be on vacation while keeping a close and watchful eye on your significant other. The absolute ideal month would involve somehow persuading your employer to send you on an overseas business trip that your significant other could tag along on. You’d work quietly behind the scenes, negotiating some tricky deal during the day while spending the nights on more romantic pursuits.

Since that’s probably not going to happen for most of you, you may have to settle for doing what you can to spice up your sex life, while not letting career matters slide. If you can insert a little travel time into your schedule, the time around the 15th looks good. That’s when the sun in your travel house makes a good angle to journeying Jupiter in your own sign. Remember that you don’t so much need a reason to get away as an excuse.

If that looks impossible, make a travel wish around the 5th or 6th of November, near the new moon. If that fails, scoot out of town for a quick getaway around the full moon on the 21st. In short, do something to get a little adventure into your life.

User Image Aries Horoscope for November 2010 (Mar. 21 - Apr. 19)

Venus and Saturn are both at sensitive points in your chart in November. They’re both in Libra, the sign opposite yours that represents your relationships with other people. Venus retrograde and then direct on the 18th is encouraging you, rather literally, to be more sensitive to others for awhile. Not the month for quarreling.

Saturn in Libra is more long-term, and it puts the focus for a couple of years on reconciling people who disagree. This is a big issue in the world at large, since everyone seems to disagree about everything here lately, but on a more personal level you are being encouraged to reconcile with people in your circle that you disagree with. This could include a spouse, lover, partner or best friend. Getting to agreement is a potentially difficult task, but it can and should be done–even if it takes a long time.

The 7th house also has to do with counseling. This could indicate that it’s a good time for you to invest in your own counselor (especially if you’re facing difficult transits from Pluto, Saturn or Uranus). It could also mean that you are ready to move into a position of wise counselor to others younger that yourself.

Meanwhile, this is also Scorpio month, which picks up the counseling theme in a way, since Scorpio is the sign of therapy of all types. It may not specifically indicate therapy for you; it could indicate that you are giving advice behind the scenes. You may also be able to benefit from the quiet advice of others in achieving your goals.

User Image Taurus Horoscope for November 2010 (Apr. 20 - May 20)

Your ruler Venus has been retrograde in Scorpio for awhile, and this month it slips back into Libra. It goes direct in Libra on the 18th and re-enters Scorpio at the very end of the month. The first implication of this is that any fights in your workplace should diminish and smooth themselves over.

Saturn’s already in Libra in your work sector and will stay there through 2012. Saturn in the work sector can indicate taking on the sometimes burdensome role of being the teacher to other co-workers. People tend to dislike this when they already have pressure to complete tasks, but this is the sort of effort that can pay off very well in the long-term. By teaching and counseling your subordinates or co-workers, you are eventually paving the way to more freedom for yourself and helping to ensure that jobs get completed to your own satisfaction. If you are already a teacher by profession, then you can expect to be working hard, perhaps with fewer resources, over the next couple of years.

Education in general is a theme in the Taurus chart, as Pluto is nestled in the part of your chart that represents advanced education and he has no plans to leave for a good long time. Essentially, this means that it would be beneficial to your long-term work success to invest in more education. If that’s been difficult due to the pressures of your job, things should be easier in that regard from here on out.

This is also Scorpio month, so any additional lessons from the stars are likely to come through the vehicle of relationships. Not to worry, they could be pleasant lessons indeed.

User ImageGemini Horoscope for November 2010 (May 21 - June 20)

Venus retrogrades back into your solar 5th house in November, then goes direct on the 18th. The 5th house is the house of children, your own and others. Great time to reconnect with the young ones in your life.

Saturn’s in your 5th house also, all the way through 2012. This puts you in the role of adviser to younger people on their personal and practical problems. If you are young yourself, it puts you in a great position to get advice from mentors or people with more experience, especially if you have problems in your personal life. The 5th house is also the house of a person’s love life, and the reassuring voice of someone who’s been through the ringer with love can help you get perspective and peace of mind.

Yet another implication of Saturn in the 5th can be that of taming the notorious Gemini flirting impulses. The sign of Gemini does not naturally wish to settle down or be serious in relationships. The planet Saturn does. Saturn in your love sector encourages you to learn how to enter into a serious courtship.

Not that there won’t be any playfulness in your love life, not at all. There’s a boatload of playful Sagittarian energy in your 7th house of relationships. The sun enters Sagittarius on the 22nd–playfulness abounds then. Mercury enters Sagittarius on the 8th to stir up debate–although you’d be wise to remain neutral if the object of your affections gets too disagreeable about disagreement. Mars is also in your 7th house all month, and it’s the sort of influence that can get your significant other angry about imaginary offenses. Bottom line: your relationships are important this month, and they won’t be boring.

User ImageCancer Horoscope for November 2010 (June 21 - July 22)

Flirt at home! Yeah, that’s right. Invite some people over for a party and play the coquette or the seducer. Venus retrograde in Scorpio and Libra, going direct on the 18th in Libra, will help you in your amorous adventures this month. Meanwhile, Saturn, also in Libra, is marching briskly through your domestic sector. Saturn in this spot is the defender of your home and he doesn’t want to leave it. Thus, if you want to lure people with your charms, you’ve got to get them into your abode somehow.

For those of you in committed relationships, the story is similar yet different. Pluto in Capricorn is the defender in this case, and a fierce defender he can be. When Pluto’s in the sign opposite yours, dilemmas can develop in relationships. This is because the sign of Capricorn on your Descendant (marriage line) wants to defend your marriage at all costs, while Pluto wants to eliminate anything that doesn’t work. Often the question becomes–does this relationship work or can it work enough to be worth defending? In my limited experience with this transit, the answer is that your most important relationships can be defended and fortified while Pluto is in this sign. Things may be a little tough at times, but relationships worth preserving make it through. The most powerful time for making peace in a committed relationship comes during the first week of the month, while Venus is in Scorpio.

By the way, you also have a lot of job-related energy this month, although relationships should probably take precedence.

User ImageLeo Horoscope for November 2010 (July 23 - Aug. 22)

Venus retrogrades back into Libra this month, the same sign where Saturn is hanging out for the next couple of years. Venus is a lazy planet, content to sit back and watch people, defending its lack of ambition with the argument that sometimes people-watching is the best entertainment of all. Saturn, on the other hand, is more ambitious. In your solar 3rd house, where it currently resides, it is interested in cultivating the right people in your environment.

You can combine the two energies through the fine art of cultivation by observing other people’s habits, interests, and mannerisms and then imitating them if you want to get into their good graces. You may think this is too manipulative; Saturn doesn’t. Saturn thinks it’s good common sense to advance socially by adopting the practices of people who are already successful in the circles in which you want to travel. Many Leos have successfully used some form of this tactic; perhaps you will be one of them.

Meanwhile, Neptune stations and then goes direct in Aquarius in your solar 7th house. People born during the 3rd week of August will likely feel the effects most strongly. Neptune is especially prone to slavish admiration of someone or infatuation in a relationship. Some will find out that their admiration was justified; others that an infatuation was just an illusion. Either development represents a turning point in a positive direction.

Last but not least, there’s plenty of energy in your home sector this month, and the first week of November is good for hosting an informal party or getting together on your home turf.

User ImageVirgo Horoscope for November 2010 (Aug. 23 - Sept. 22)

Venus retrogrades back into Libra this month and goes direct in that sign on the 18th. This makes the period between the 8th and the 28th a good time to focus on your aspirations for wealth, building up your cash reserves, and so on. That’s because Venus is a money planet and Libra is your money sign.

Saturn is also in Libra and that complicates the picture a bit. Libra is the natural sign of partnership, making the natural Virgo approach to money intrinsically tied up with relationships. Saturn here can cause great anxiety, including financial anxiety, if relationships are not going well. On the other hand, Saturn in this spot can also teach you how to be less dependent financially on others, while teaching you how to help yourself and be responsible for your own money management.

Jupiter also impacts the month’s astrological picture, because it spends practically the whole month stuck at 23 degrees Pisces. Those born in the middle of September will have Jupiter opposing their suns all month! Jupiter is a restless planet that craves freedom and adventure. It will leave some of you, even if you’re not born in the middle of the month, itching for travel or some kind of vacation to a remote and lovely spot. Jupiter can also be a money planet, and combined with Uranus in Pisces, it could give some of you a chance to make a quick financial score before the end of the year.

As a final note, thanks to Mars and other planets in Sagittarius, your domestic affairs could also be quite busy this month.

User ImageScorpio Horoscope for November 2010 (Oct. 23 - Nov. 21)

Your inner artist is trying to emerge in November. Venus has gone retrograde in your sign, and in November it will creep all the way back into Libra and your solar 12th house of the subconscious. It will go direct on the 18th and re-enter your sign at the very end of the month. All of this is a fancy way of saying that if you want to get in touch with yourself or break through any subconscious blocks, then it’s time for you to get out the pens, pencils or paints and sketch out what’s on your mind so that you can see it in images instead of just words. If you cannot do your own drawing, well then do a collage with found images. You need to see it to feel it.

There’s another implication to the Libra energy, especially since we all have Saturn in parked in Libra for the next couple of years or so. The second implication is the necessity for tact and skill in managing delicate situations. These delicate situations may involve your relationship with yourself–are the voices in your head too critical, do you need to teach them to address you more diplomatically? How about the voices in your head regarding the things you think about others but don’t say? Do you need to refine and focus your impressions of people to see them in a more judicious and fair light? We all need to deal with Saturn somewhere; you need to deal with it in terms of the things in your inner life that you normally try to hide from view.

Of course, there’s a long-term implication for all this in terms of your year ahead: inner peace. Next year is scheduled to be astrologically better for most Scorpios, as confusing Neptune moves away from an angular house in your chart. This gives you a rare opportunity to focus on inner peace for awhile. Peace within, peace without. Wouldn’t that be great? Worth meditating on.

In the meantime, it’s your birthday month, and your new moon birthday wish occurs on the 5th or 6th, depending on where you live. You’ve got nice astrological support for the first 3 weeks of the month. You also have a chance to try to make some money. Go for it.

User ImageSagittarius Horoscope for November 2010 (Nov. 22 - Dec. 21)

If you’re one of those Sagittarians who likes the shamanistic powers of Scorpio-ness, you’ll like November. Scorpio in your chart is half doctor, half religious figure, with a little bit of psychologist in there too. The sign heals your subconscious in some magical way. There will be Scorpio energy this month until the sun enters your own sign on the 22nd.

The new moon in Scorpio takes place on the 5th or the 6th, depending on where you live. Feel free to use it to examine your own psychology. You’ll get extra help from Mercury in this sign until the 8th. Venus also retrogrades through Scorpio until the 7th and will help you ferret out emotional information that may otherwise be hidden in your subconscious. If all of that sounds like too much work, you can just curl up by yourself and indulge in a good detective story. Scorpio does love a good detective story.

All of this, by the way, resonates with the placement of Pluto in your second house of finances and values. Pluto is doing detective work too, this time about your morality around money. You may need to reject some financial practices as not being in keeping with your own sense of what’s right and wrong.

You’ve got plenty of energy in your own sign, too. The sun enters on the 22nd, Mercury on the 8th, and Mars is there all month long. These influences highlight your natural curiosity and desire to gather information through your own efforts.

User ImageCapricorn Horoscope for November 2010 (Dec. 22 - Jan. 19)

There’s a little bit of career energy for Capricorn this month via Venus in Libra, but mostly the month revolves around the energies of psychological Scorpio and philosophical Sagittarius. Scorpio is a strategic sign, canny and observant of what’s below the surface. The Scorpio new moon energy around the 5th and 6th of the month can help you adjust your own strategies for reaching your long-term aspirations by having you pay attention to what’s really going on in your wider environment. Mercury in this sign until the 8th can especially help you direct your attention to what’s relevant.

Venus is retrograde in Scorpio too, until the 7th. Her function is a little different. She’s more the type to bring someone into your circle who absolutely hypnotizes you or fascinates you. This may even be someone from your past to whom you’ve always had some sort of strange attraction.Her powers are especially potent around the 1st of the month when she contacts Pluto in your own sign. If the timing is otherwise right in your chart, you may enter a hypnotic state that lasts for a very long time.

The Sagittarian energy is a little hypnotic too because it falls in your dreamy solar 12th house. The sun will be there as of the 22nd, Mercury as of the 8th, and Mars the whole month through. You are especially susceptible to the influence of other people and especially their principles and ideas while there is so much energy in this sector of your chart. Remember to keep your wits about you.

Sources:
Horoscopes
Images
Stardust Disaster

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:26 am

Just for Fun

This section may not be complete yet.

Thanks for the help with the trivia questions, Amber.

Trivia:
(from HP and the Deathly Hallows)

WARNING: This trivia section contains SPOILERS.

1. Who escorted the Dursleys to safety?
2. In the chapter The Seven Potters, how do the Death Eaters discover the real Harry?
3. Ron has a plan which involves the ghoul in the attic posing as Ron with what wizarding disease?
4. Where do HRH, Luna, Griphook, and Ollivander go after escaping from the Malfoy manor?
5. Who helped them escape?
6. Who does the doe patronus belong to?
7. What is the symbol that Xenophilius Lovegood wore at the wedding?
8. What was Lupin’s nickname on Potterwatch?
9. Who is the bartender at the Hogs Head?
10. Who was the Grey Lady before she died?
11. How did the Grey Lady and The Bloody Baron die?
12. Harry promises Griphook the sword of Godric Gryffindor in exchange for what?
13. What happens to the items in the Lestanges’ vault when touched?
14. How is Rowena Ravenclaw’s diadem, which has been turned into a horcrux, destroyed?

Answers to last month's trivia:
1. A lynx
2. Regulus Arcturus Black (Sirius’ brother)
3. Cousin Barny
4. Tottenham Court Road
5. Here lies Dobby, a free elf
6. Neville Longbottom
7. Walnut and dragon heartstring
8. Severus Snape
9. The deluminator
10. He spoke Voldemort’s name. (A jinx had been put on it.)
11. Griphook
12. Parseltongue
13. Alastor Moody’s magical eye

Stardust Disaster & Lyra Elizabeth

HogwartsMonthlyEditor

HogwartsMonthlyEditor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:27 am

Basket Ball
Muggle Watch by Mofius Gideon

User Image

Unlike in the wizardry world, where the only triumphing sport is Quidditch, Muggles have a variety of sports. Among all the sport named “Basket Ball” bares resemblance to our very own Quidditch, except that muggles have only two goal posts and one ball to play. Of course the players stay put on the ground. No broomsticks no flying! aand no attacking the other team members.(Although they usually do).

Basketball is a team sport in which two teams of five players try to score points by throwing or "shooting" a ball through the top of a basketball hoop while following a set of rules. Basketball is one of the most popular and widely viewed sports in the Muggle world.

Basketball has evolved many commonly used techniques of shooting, passing, and dribbling, as well as specialized player positions and offensive and defensive structures (player positioning) and techniques. Typically, the tallest members of a team will play "center", "small forward", or "power forward" positions, while shorter players or those who possess the best ball handling skills and speed play "point guard" or "shooting guard".

Various violations are generally called "fouls". Disruptive physical contact (a personal foul) is penalized, and a free throw is usually awarded to an offensive player if he is fouled while shooting the ball. A technical foul may also be issued when certain infractions occur, most commonly for unsportsmanlike conduct on the part of a player or coach. A technical foul gives the opposing team a free throw.
While competitive basketball is carefully regulated, numerous variations of basketball have developed for casual play. Competitive basketball is primarily an indoor sport played on carefully marked and maintained basketball courts, but less regulated variations are often played outdoors in both inner city and rural areas.

source: Wikipedia

Toph Mellow

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:28 am

Witch/Wizard of the Month

This months honor of Witch of the Month goes to Mothette!
Yet, another unanimous decision, Mothette (also known as Crystal) has been posting up a storm ever since she returned from a hiatus.
At the beginning of October she had barely 100 posts in HPGoG. Now, she has posted 453 more times.
Leading to a total of 546! In one month!
After reading this, be sure to contact her. I’m sure you’ll want to meet the real Mothette.

*´¨)
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•` ¤ Mothette

User Image

Q: Have you read all the HP books? How many times?
A: I've read them all, but most only once. The first I've read 4 times, starting with when my 4th grade teacher read it to the class.

Q: Which is your favorite?
A: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince!

Q: Have you seen any of the movies based on the books, if so which ones? Name your favorite!
A: I've seen all the ones they've made so far. My favorite...a toss up between Order of the Phoenix and Half Blood Prince.

Q: What is your favorite book or author? Besides Harry/J.K.?
A: Tough choice! But I would have to say J.R.R. Tolkien.

Q: Do you have a favorite character from J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter books? Who is it? (it's fine if you have more than one, I know I do)
A: Definitely Severus Snape, Luna Lovegood, Neville Longbottom, and Molly Weasley.

Q: What are your other interests/hobbies?
A: Oh, I have more hobbies than I can keep track of! I especially love making music, playing parlor and board games, learning, and shopping. But what I love more than anything is architecture. I will go absolutely gaga over anything related to beautiful building design.

Q: How did you find out about Gaia?
A: It's hard to remember, it was 4 years ago. I think I had done a google search for dressup/avatar websites because I love dressing up.

Q: What's your favorite thing to do on Gaia? Outside of Gaia?
A: Guilds! They're awesome. Outside, I love designing buildings the most. Sometimes I'll spend all day doing it and forget to eat because I'm so into it.

Q: Are you in any other guilds? Are you as active in those?
A: Quite a few, like...9ish. I'm only this active one other though.

Q: How often would you say you are on Gaia? In HPGoG?
A: At least once a day on Gaia. I usually check HPGoG for new posts every couple hours or so.

Q: Was Slytherin your first choice for House? Why or why not?
A: Yes, actually, though I was a bit unsure around the time I was sorted. In retrospect, it was meant to be. It suits me much better than any other house ever could.

Q: What do you like most about your House? There's no wrong answer here!
A: That we're bad! I mean, we're not all fluffy, or sparkly, and trouble keeps us rather active.

Q: I've checked and it seems you joined the guild, originally, on was Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:06 pm EST. As a dedicated HPGoG member, what would you say has been your best experience?
A: I love it all, but being in Slytherin is definitely the best.

Q: What do you like most about HPGoG? Is there anything in particular you're looking forward to (in HPGoG)?
A: Roleplaying, and I can't wait to become a graduate and kick-start the graduates forum!

Q: You recently left Gaia for a while then returned, what made you want to come back to HPGoG?
A: "Love, Harry, pure love." I couldn't stay away. In fact, it was one of the reasons I decided to come back.

Q: Speaking of streaks, as a cunning Slytherin, what do you think about Slytherin's unprecedented House Cup streak?
A: We're active and ambitious, it's only natural. We want to win, so we will.

Q: Lastly, is there anything else you want to tell the members of the guild? Tell them something, anything!
A: I love you all, but I'd love you even more if you were more active! I love the afternoons when I wake to find myself behind on what's happening because so many people have posted. Everyone is really friendly, so don't be shy, just throw yourself in!

Headmaster Adonis

HogwartsMonthlyEditor

HogwartsMonthlyEditor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:29 am

Around Hogwarts

Hello everyone.

The Fall 2010 Term is coming to an end, on November 12th.
So, make sure to get those last minute Lessons and Finals in to your Professors.

Who will win the House Cup this term?
Will it be the Courageous Gryffindrors, the Intelligent Ravenclaws, Loyal Hufflepuffs, or the Cunning Slytherins?

As everyone should know it is getting close to that time again for Our very own Fright Week.
What will it be this year? The mystery is still unknown.
What will we fight? Will we have to fight some ghost, smash some pumpkins, or will there be a missing teacher we need to find?
Keep a close eye out and we shall see. But knowing one thing it will be fun and interesting.

DownAzzLette

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:30 am

Note From the Editor

Sorry this issue is a little late. We've had a lot to deal with this time around, trying to get Fright Week set up while dealing with the shocking news about Professor Aurora. Everything has been very difficult without her help. But we'll have Fright Week up soon, I promise. Just be patient with us a little bit longer.

Also, if there are any budding writers out there just bursting to put pen to paper, or fingers to keys as it may be, head over to the HM Editor's Office in the Care-Taker's subforum. We're always eager for more writers!

Lyra Elizabeth

HogwartsMonthlyEditor

HogwartsMonthlyEditor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:33 am

Hogwarts Monthly Staff

Lyra Elizabeth (Editor)
Stardust Disaster
The Queen Lana
Toph Mellow
DownAzzLette
Headmaster Adonis

Want to work on the next issue or comment on the paper?
Get in here!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:01 am

HogwartsMonthlyEditor

Harry Potter Guild of Gaia

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 24 25 26 27 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games