Welcome to Gaia! ::

+ The Official 'Got Goth?' Guild +

Back to Guilds

Tags: goth, subculture, alternative 

Reply Extended Discussion
What do your parents think? Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 18 19 20 21 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

themagikat

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 10:20 pm
amen  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 5:08 pm
Well I'm 16 now, but I have been a part of the gothic subculture since about age 12.

My parents have always been supportive of free thought, and thinking for myself. My father is agnostic, and my mother dislikes religion. My father was your typical intelligent nerd, and my mother had her goth phase, and was also profficient in magic.

Both are very accepting. However as far as piercings and tattoos go, my mother doesn't like the idea because it's on my body forever and my father says it's my body.

As far as whether I dress gothic, all the time. Latex, corsets, fishnets, velvet, leather, collars, lace, boots, heels, makeup, the works. My mother LOOOVES he attire and often asks if she can come shopping with me.

And music, my father was the one who got me started into liking metal with Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin and My mother with her love of Depeche Mode and Enigma just sort of broadened my musical horizons. Plus they both like the music I listen to, considering my mom enjoys Dimmu Borgir, VNV Nation (so does my grandmother), and Cradle of Filth.

*Shrugs* I'm proud to be a part of the gothic community  

Synovial

Ontogeny

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:26 pm
They think I need diffrent clothes and thinks its stupid  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:31 pm
Some people are lucky. Their parents accept them and respect their privacy. Mine...nah. They barge in whenever and because I don't like it when people see my writing before it's polished, I get a heart attack and close the window. I can't show my gothic side at all. If I did at school, it wouldn't end well. I've already got 7 people hanging around my back with guns at the ready (metaphorical, but they have done a LOT of physical and mental damage to me) and 10 g i r ls about ready to change me into clone like themselves or make me feel so bad about myself that I k i l l myself. Not fun. So basically, the only people/places where I'm really open is to my friends, here on Gaia, at swim team, or to close friends at school.
My dad likes rock (like Guns N' Roses), but really s the bands I listen to, and my mom likes elevator music, which puts me to sleep within five minutes in the car. Both gothic style. So I just have to stick with solid black and makeshift things for now.  

eereesa

Syllabic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 3:29 pm
My parents are rather fond of the music I listen to. They have metalhead mentalies as well, especially my dad.

I can't stand having to pray and pretend I believe in God or give a crap about other people. My parents send me to a Catholic school and talk to me about the Bible, but I've never been strong enough to tell them I'm an atheist. And today my dad gave me a lecture on how I should help this semi-retarded kid in my class with his Math work. I could care less.

My parents are aware that I'm 'different,' but they don't realize that I am a goth. I wear black whenever I can, though. They get frustrated because I'm not into fashion or dressing up or going shopping.

I have one friend. One. And Mom and Dad constantly tell me that I need to be more outgoing and make more friends. I am more outgoing than they could ever imagine, but I just can't say anything nice to the stupid preps at school. Somehow they find a way to blame me because no one likes me.

So, basically, they don't understand.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:43 pm
My dad is a ******** and what he thinks doesn't apply to me because I never see him.

But my mum is all for it. She thinks it's great- being myself. She's been telling me to get my nose peirced for years and when I got my labret peirced mum was all "wow! it really looks great with the symetry of your face" and things like that.
Her sister, my aunt, is a goth too. Leah rocks!
Mum bought me a tattoo of a spiderweb for my birthday and grandma loves it.
I have cool relatives on my mum's side. They love the gothness.

Dad's side is a joke, but I don't pay any attention when they make comments. Except sometimes when my dad's sister just makes kinda rude comments, that pisses me off. But other than that they don't care enough to take me aside and have a 'talk' about my clothes and such.

Spooky Wasabi Princess

Proxy Risk-Taker

14,850 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Magical Girl 50

NyteOwl

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:30 am
Both of my parents are dead so I stay with my sister for the moment. My sister doesn't mind that I am a goth she knows our mom raised us on horror movies to show the stuff that happens on there is fake so that is why I like dark stuff.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:15 pm
muted faith9
Wow someone posted
Anyway, yea, i'm always hiding my true face behind a smile when im around my parents, the guilt of saying prayers every night event though i personally don't believe in god(i dont want to go into a discussion about why) nearly kills me. I just wish my parents would let me be who i really am, I mean, they're parents, aren't they supposed to accept me regardless?
yea i know how that is...  

MorphineCupcake

The Everchangeling

Unsealed Specter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 8:17 pm
My parents like the music, but they don't like the clothing style. Morelike, it's my dad who doesn't like the style, because I don't live with my mom all the time, and she approves of individuality...the hippie that she is. As far as my thoughts go, my dad just hates me.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 12:22 pm
eereesa
Some people are lucky. Their parents accept them and respect their privacy. Mine...nah. They barge in whenever and because I don't like it when people see my writing before it's polished, I get a heart attack and close the window. I can't show my gothic side at all. If I did at school, it wouldn't end well. I've already got 7 people hanging around my back with guns at the ready (metaphorical, but they have done a LOT of physical and mental damage to me) and 10 g i r l s about ready to change me into clone like themselves or make me feel so bad about myself that I k i l l myself. Not fun. So basically, the only people/places where I'm really open is to my friends, here on Gaia, at swim team, or to close friends at school.
My dad likes rock (like Guns N' Roses), but really s the bands I listen to, and my mom likes elevator music, which puts me to sleep within five minutes in the car. Both gothic style. So I just have to stick with solid black and makeshift things for now.

Dude, that totally sucks. Ignore those wanker girls and dress the way you wanna!!!!  

Spooky Wasabi Princess

Proxy Risk-Taker

14,850 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Magical Girl 50

Lady_Threnody

Intellectual Lunatic

10,075 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:17 am
muted faith9
I was just wondering how peoples parents reacted to their children being gothic. I mean, most parents don't like the music, the stereotypes that go with being gothic, and my parents even hate the clothing. My parents really don't know about me being gothic as they are so much against it that if they found out I would probably be disowned. So how did your parents react? Or do they even really know?

They don't care. My mother is a pain in the a** when it comes to material things but she leaves me be. After all, I am 21 years old and can wear what I damn there please even if I am living under their roof (for the time being due to circumstances beyond my control). My parents don't mind my all black dressing theme and my small portion of assessories. ^_^

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:22 pm
Darkside of the Moon
*laughs att all the people*

Hehe. My mum is the same. Our mums rock.  

Spooky Wasabi Princess

Proxy Risk-Taker

14,850 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Magical Girl 50

kittygirl501

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:29 pm
*is on topic* Well, my parents hate practically everything about goths...my dad really freaked out when I showed him a pair of spiked arm warmers...but he baught them anyways. rolleyes But my inner self is pretty much total evil and goth. I love the clothes and everything they wear, but if my parents found out I was a total goth (even wearing all the clothes they wear) I would mostlikely be totally dead...But I normally wear black and blue to school. Sometimes even all black even though my hair is dirty-blondeish...but I really want to die my hair black so bad, but I highly doubt my parents would let me... xp  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:47 pm
My parents are kind of supportive of it. They make fun of me alot tho.  

SerratedSprinkles

5,900 Points
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Dabbler 200

Misty Moonsilver

Conservative Vampire

10,150 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:30 am
I'm er uh black and so my mom is racist so she always says "you are a black white girl" She hates it but I told her if she doesn't like it, she can go to hell.....(not in those exact words)  
Extended Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 18 19 20 21 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff