Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Recommended Reading List Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

maenad nuri
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:39 pm
Sophist
Is there any way the first page of this post will get updated with the many contributing posts, or will everyone who's desperate have to wade through the 10+ pages? gonk

Figuring out what to do with it was on my agenda for this weekend (my weekends run Sunday through Tuesday)along with updating the other topics.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:42 am
maenad nuri
Sophist
Is there any way the first page of this post will get updated with the many contributing posts, or will everyone who's desperate have to wade through the 10+ pages? gonk

Figuring out what to do with it was on my agenda for this weekend (my weekends run Sunday through Tuesday)along with updating the other topics.

Would you be averse to updating the OP's post as well as having better defined categories, like in the PM announcement? I actually have a few source books on Kemetic Recon that I might add once I'm done with them, but not if they'll just be buried within the pages. I notice a lack of books having to do with ancient Egypt.  

Bastemhet

maenad nuri
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:08 am
Sophist
maenad nuri
Sophist

Would you be averse to updating the OP's post as well as having better defined categories, like in the PM announcement? I actually have a few source books on Kemetic Recon that I might add once I'm done with them, but not if they'll just be buried within the pages. I notice a lack of books having to do with ancient Egypt.

This is the plan -- it is going to take me awhile to sort through everything and catagorize, but I am working on it.

...first up, just listing EVERYTHING. IA only updated through the first page.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:18 am
I've got to do a print out and start highlighting (I like doing things on paper sometimes. I'm a BAD environmentalist.

So last call to add to the list before I start sorting.  

maenad nuri
Captain

Bastemhet

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:40 am
Makes sense, same reason why I hate reading books online, even if it's free. There's a certain something about tangible knowledge in book form that attracts me. 3nodding

You can ignore other posts I put in this thread and assume this is the bulk of what I'd contribute, unless you'd also like to add links to online resources, which I have plenty of.

The Cauldron Pagan Forum
Suggested Reading

Primary Sources

Faulkner, R. O., The Ancient Egyptian Pyramid Texts )Oxford University Press, 1969)

Faulkner, R. O., The Egyptian Book of the Dead: The Book of Going Forth by Day (Chronicle Books, 1999) Ogden Goelet (Editor), Eva Von Dassow, James Wasserman.

Faulkner, R. O., The Ancient Egyptian Coffin Texts, Vol. I, Spells 1-354 (Aris & Phillips, Ltd. 1973)

Faulkner, R. O., The Ancient Egyptian Coffin Texts, Vol. II, Spells 355-787 (Aris & Phillips, Ltd. 1977)

Academic Sources

Note: For a really nice bibliography, please see the article titled: "A Beginner's Guide to Egyptology 2001" by Donald P. Ryan in the Summer 2001 issue of KMT, Volume 12, Number 2. (KMT is a magazine about all thing Egyptian, from an academic point of view. It is a very good resource for current theories and research in Egyptology.)

Allen, James P., Middle Egyptian: An Introduction to the Language and Culture of Hieroglyphs (Cambridge University Press, 1999). This book is introduction to the ancient Egyptian system of hieroglyphic writing and the language known as Middle Egyptian.

David, Rosalie, The Ancient Egyptians. 2nd rev. ed. (Sussex Academic Press, Brighton, UK, 199 cool . This book traces the evolution of religious beliefs and practices within the historical and political contexts of the major periods of Egypt's civilization.

Hart, George, A Dictionary of Egyptian Gods and Goddesses (Routledge & Kegan Paul, London, 1986). A comphrehensive dictionary of the the deities of ancient Egypt.

Hornung, Erik; Baines, John (translator), Conceptions of God in Ancient Egypt: The One and the Many (Cornell University Press, 1982). The book discusses aspects of divinity, the iconography and characteristics of the gods, and the relationship between gods and believers in ancient Egypt.

Lesko, Barbara S, The Great Goddesses of Egypt (University of Oklahoma Press, 1999). The book presents in depth histories of the cults of seven major Egyptian Goddesses.

Meeks, Dimitri and Favard-Meeks, Christine; G. M. Goshgarian (translator), Daily Life of the Egyptian Gods (Cornell University Press. 1996). This book describes the ancient Egyptian gods' community and the structures of their society.

Pinch, Geraldine, Magic in Ancient Egypt (University of Texas Press, Austin, 1994). This book examines the magical techniques, practitioners, surviving magical texts, and objects used in magic in ancient Egypt.

Shafer Byron E (editor), Religion in Ancient Egypt (Cornell University Press. 1991). An examination of religion in ancient Egypt, stressing the experience of the individual believer.

Others that I recommend:

Assmann, Jan. The Search for God in Ancient Egypt.

Shaw, Ian. The Oxford History of Ancient Egypt.

Naydler, Jeremy. Temple of the Cosmos.

Gardiner, Alan. Egyptian Grammar.

Wilkinson, Richard H. Symbol & Magic in Egyptian Art.

Redford, Donald B. The Ancient Gods Speak: A Guide to Egyptian Religion.

Clark, Rosemary. The Sacred Tradition in Ancient Egypt.

Clark, Rosemary. Sacred Magic Of Ancient Egypt.

--

Would you like me to arrange these in categories for you? I suppose it might be awkward because I'd like to keep the short synopses of the books recommended by TC, but I'd be happy to make your job easier. Also, I can make short synopses of the books I recommend, too. Just not going to do it now because it's 2 AM. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:55 am
I was planning on keeping the short synopsis/reviews for most of the books that people have mentioned.

Also, I'm printing it out so I can work on it in my down time at work. It will go quicker that way than if I try to get it done in my down time on my weekends. I swear. Should be done by next Tuesday. When it'd done, I'm moving onto the next sticky.  

maenad nuri
Captain

maenad nuri
Captain

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 12:11 pm
I am still working on this. Life just got complicated.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:10 pm
I would like to add to the List, "Essential AsaTru:Walking the Path of Norse Paganism" By Diana L. Paxson
And Here is some Reading Online about how to practice your faith more in your day to day life.
The Nine Noble Virtues  

Depraved Jester

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:28 pm
Deity of HardCore
I would like to add to the List, "Essential AsaTru:Walking the Path of Norse Paganism" By Diana L. Paxson

The book itself is pretty damn fluffy, in that it relies on historical revisionism that Paxson has been repeatedly refuted upon, and she refuses to correct the errors, instead, happily taking your money for Feminist Paganism with a touch of Norse twist.

It's pretty much one step up from ******** Norse Magic by Conway.

Quote:
And Here is some Reading Online about how to practice your faith more in your day to day life.
The Nine Noble Virtues
That's a craptastic list. It isn't actually rooted in Norse Paganism, but instead is Christian Revisionism applied with fancy words that have little to no contextual meaning for those who follow the gods of the Eddas.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:32 am
There is one book that I have not seen listed yet.
Witches: True Encounters with Wicca, Wizards, Covens, Cults, and Magick by Hans Holzer.

I find that it gives a very interesting look into many different traditions and some of their ceremonies.  

guardian_rose

Poney Princess

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:50 am
I recomend reading 'CODEX MAGICA' by Texe Marrs
It exposes the occult practices, and the sacret language of the elite.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:13 pm
Mietek

If they're exposed, are they really still occult?
wink .  

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50

guardian_rose

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:45 pm
Violet Song jat Shariff
Mietek

wink .

I always figured that an occult practice was one that was done by a cult.
Cults are usually religions that are either unpopular, go against cultural norms, or have few followers. According to some religious leaders, such as those of the Church of Mormon, Paganism is considered a cult.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:25 am
guardian_rose

Where does this figuring come from?
Quote:

Cults are usually religions that are either unpopular, go against cultural norms, or have few followers.
That's not what cult means.

Quote:
According to some religious leaders, such as those of the Church of Mormon, Paganism is considered a cult.
They're wrong. ~shrugs~  

TeaDidikai

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:46 am
guardian_rose
Violet Song jat Shariff
Mietek

wink .

Cults are usually religions that are either unpopular, go against cultural norms, or have few followers. According to some religious leaders, such as those of the Church of Mormon, Paganism is considered a cult.

It might help if you opened a dictionary every now and then.
biggrin  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces