Welcome to Gaia! ::

GCD GANGSTAS

Back to Guilds

Its just that hip, yo 

Tags: Geeceedee, GCDer, Items, Plot, Awesome 

Reply Come Back Mero <33
VGD:::Vidya Game Discussion:: Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 23 24 25 26 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sara Hysaro

Precious Seeker

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:43 pm
Sachie Whitby
Sara Hysaro
On Topic: So lately I've been trying to get through Myst 3: Exile. It's so atmospheric~ Puzzle solving is a little tedious though. >.<

I never got into Myst. They've always came off as being a game where you just click around some beautifully rendered environment and solve problems without even being given any sort of clue as to what you need to do.

Yeah, pretty much. Some of the puzzles in the one I'm playing make a sense though. For instance, there's one where you're up in a tower with 4 telescopes and little balls in a weird circular thing. The telescopes have symbols imprinted on them, and those symbols are somewhere outside the windows. You have to match the symbols up and draw where the 4 little balls wound up (they move based on the telescope's position). Then you go to where the other symbol was to move the little balls over there into the same position to open a door.

There's also another puzzle I remember dealing with pressure, and you had to match the pressure gauge's arrow to the line drawn on it. You can open and close these steam vents to change the amount of pressure there is. Each one affects it by a different amount. Now that puzzle is just simple math. smile

You do have your trial and error puzzles though (which are no fun). I like that the instruction book that came with the game gives you hints on how to solve the puzzles if you need it, but sometimes the hints don't really help that much.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:03 pm
Sara Hysaro
Sachie Whitby
Sara Hysaro
On Topic: So lately I've been trying to get through Myst 3: Exile. It's so atmospheric~ Puzzle solving is a little tedious though. >.<

I never got into Myst. They've always came off as being a game where you just click around some beautifully rendered environment and solve problems without even being given any sort of clue as to what you need to do.

Yeah, pretty much. Some of the puzzles in the one I'm playing make a sense though. For instance, there's one where you're up in a tower with 4 telescopes and little balls in a weird circular thing. The telescopes have symbols imprinted on them, and those symbols are somewhere outside the windows. You have to match the symbols up and draw where the 4 little balls wound up (they move based on the telescope's position). Then you go to where the other symbol was to move the little balls over there into the same position to open a door.

There's also another puzzle I remember dealing with pressure, and you had to match the pressure gauge's arrow to the line drawn on it. You can open and close these steam vents to change the amount of pressure there is. Each one affects it by a different amount. Now that puzzle is just simple math. smile

You do have your trial and error puzzles though (which are no fun). I like that the instruction book that came with the game gives you hints on how to solve the puzzles if you need it, but sometimes the hints don't really help that much.

What I don't like is when the solution to a puzzle makes as much sense as the key to the cabinet you need to open can be found as a toy prize at the bottom of a cereal box. [I played a game that actually did that.]  

Sachie Whitby

King Vampire

18,200 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Cool Cat 500

Sara Hysaro

Precious Seeker

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:08 pm
Sachie Whitby
Sara Hysaro
Sachie Whitby
Sara Hysaro

What I don't like is when the solution to a puzzle makes as much sense as the key to the cabinet you need to open can be found as a toy prize at the bottom of a cereal box. [I played a game that actually did that.]

Or a key in an empty can of soda you got from putting in a fake coin into a vending machine? Yeah, that sort of thing is...weird. >.<

Though I guess releasing a chirping creature to chirp chirp chirp while you point a sound amplifying flower towards it so that the plants behind the flower can grow is kinda wacky too (though at least they did demonstrate Mr. Chirpy's power when he was released).  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:19 pm
Sara Hysaro
Sachie Whitby
Sara Hysaro
Sachie Whitby
Sara Hysaro

Or a key in an empty can of soda you got from putting in a fake coin into a vending machine? Yeah, that sort of thing is...weird. >.<

Though I guess releasing a chirping creature to chirp chirp chirp while you point a sound amplifying flower towards it so that the plants behind the flower can grow is kinda wacky too (though at least they did demonstrate Mr. Chirpy's power when he was released).

I suppose that is fine if the game is strange enough that you should expect that sort of thing.  

Sachie Whitby

King Vampire

18,200 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Cool Cat 500

Sara Hysaro

Precious Seeker

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:23 pm
Sachie Whitby
Sara Hysaro
Sachie Whitby
Sara Hysaro
Sachie Whitby
Sara Hysaro

I suppose that is fine if the game is strange enough that you should expect that sort of thing.

Haha, strange stuff is to be expected. You're basically traversing a land made up by some guy. The strange stuff is just him exercising his creativity, I'm sure. It just so happens that he has the powers to make those books portals into the worlds he envisioned. I think he just writes the environments though, since the people in those worlds have free will.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:32 pm
Sara Hysaro
Haha, strange stuff is to be expected. You're basically traversing a land made up by some guy. The strange stuff is just him exercising his creativity, I'm sure. It just so happens that he has the powers to make those books portals into the worlds he envisioned. I think he just writes the environments though, since the people in those worlds have free will.

So is there any reason why you don't encounter other people in Myst games?  

Sachie Whitby

King Vampire

18,200 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Cool Cat 500

Sara Hysaro

Precious Seeker

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:41 pm
Sachie Whitby
Sara Hysaro

Actually, in the one I have you do. xd Just one person though. I hear that in Riven you run into a few people as well. Judging from the isolated worlds we visit I'm led to believe that he prefers just making up environments over thinking about the sort of people who would live in these environments. Odd to me, but then I'm more interested in civilizations than the environment the civilizations live in.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:42 pm
Sara Hysaro
Sachie Whitby
Sara Hysaro

Actually, in the one I have you do. xd Just one person though. I hear that in Riven you run into a few people as well. Judging from the isolated worlds we visit I'm led to believe that he prefers just making up environments over thinking about the sort of people who would live in these environments. Odd to me, but then I'm more interested in civilizations than the environment the civilizations live in.

A pretty environment with nothing living in it seems boring.  

Sachie Whitby

King Vampire

18,200 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Cool Cat 500

Sara Hysaro

Precious Seeker

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:51 pm
Sachie Whitby
Sara Hysaro
Sachie Whitby
Sara Hysaro

Yeah. I mean, there are animals and stuff living in it, but that's not quite the same thing. I don't quite get the book format if there's no story, but maybe there aren't any people there because the book is still in development, and while he's not currently working on that particular world the people just go into a sort of stasis. Like a pause button, only the people just aren't there for you.

I like the game because I like to explore environments and see how they work. I'd hate to read about it though. I'm picturing it as just a journal full of information about the nature and the technology in the world. Which would be interesting if I had a good story to actually use this information. xd  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:14 pm
Sara Hysaro
Sachie Whitby
Sara Hysaro
Sachie Whitby
Sara Hysaro

Yeah. I mean, there are animals and stuff living in it, but that's not quite the same thing. I don't quite get the book format if there's no story, but maybe there aren't any people there because the book is still in development, and while he's not currently working on that particular world the people just go into a sort of stasis. Like a pause button, only the people just aren't there for you.

I like the game because I like to explore environments and see how they work. I'd hate to read about it though. I'm picturing it as just a journal full of information about the nature and the technology in the world. Which would be interesting if I had a good story to actually use this information. xd

It still sounds like a pretty yet dull environment.  

Sachie Whitby

King Vampire

18,200 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Cool Cat 500

Penn Almasy

Demonic Lunatic

15,325 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:55 pm
Whats your favorite game series?
Either Mario Bros. (can't go wrong with the classics) or Smash Bros. (I love crossovers). Shin Megami Tensei's also a good series.

What system(s) do you play?
3DS, a Wii, and a PC. I plan to get a PS2, too.

Favorite game character overall?
Oh man, that's difficult. But I'm gonna settle with Louis Cypher.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:30 am
Sachie Whitby
Sara Hysaro
Sachie Whitby
Sara Hysaro
Sachie Whitby
Sara Hysaro

It still sounds like a pretty yet dull environment.

I am not arguing against that. xd Everyone has their likes and dislikes in a game. Which is nice. ^^ I'm not the biggest fan of actually playing survival horror games (unless they have intuitive controls), but they're really fun to watch other people play.  

Sara Hysaro

Precious Seeker

Sachie Whitby

King Vampire

18,200 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:37 am
Sara Hysaro
I am not arguing against that. xd Everyone has their likes and dislikes in a game. Which is nice. ^^ I'm not the biggest fan of actually playing survival horror games (unless they have intuitive controls), but they're really fun to watch other people play.
I'm not a fan of survival horror games because there probably is going to be giant spiders somewhere in the game.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:48 am

°A° I just saw that there will be a HD version of Shadow of the Collossus for PS3.
(Or maybe it is already out, the news were a few weeks old at least)

SO I will absolutely get that, the game sounds so nice and I never played it.

Ven Loraine

Explorer

Sara Hysaro

Precious Seeker

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:04 am
Sachie Whitby
Sara Hysaro
I'm not a fan of survival horror games because there probably is going to be giant spiders somewhere in the game.

Yeah, lots of people are scared of spiders. Rightfully so, there are a few really nasty ones out there that justify disliking them.

...you know, I can't remember the last time I saw a giant spider in a video game. O.o Either they don't leave an impression on me since they're just so common or they just aren't in the survival horror games I'm watching on Youtube.

Ven Loraine

°A° I just saw that there will be a HD version of Shadow of the Colossus for PS3.
(Or maybe it is already out, the news were a few weeks old at least)

SO I will absolutely get that, the game sounds so nice and I never played it.

I believe it's already out. Packaged with ICO, which is made by the same people. I've already got Shadow of the Colossus on the PS2, but when we eventually get a PS3 I'm totally going to be getting that ICO/Shadow of the Colossus package deal if they're still around. ^^  
Come Back Mero <33

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 23 24 25 26 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games