Submit

Innocence Is Me

Dapper Browser

750 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Window Shopper 100
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:16 pm
A side note. I did not read every single response, although I did read a few on the first page. So forgive me if what I say has already been mentioned.

I believe a fetus is a human being. It's just in a different stage in life. No different than an infant stage or a toddler stage.

Some people will disagree with me, but I have to ask, if it's not a human, what is it? A blob of nothingness? An alien? A pig? A dog? It's obviously alive, so it can't just be an object. It's developing into a full grown adult. Hey, I'm 19, I could still be considered developing...does that mean I'm not a human yet? wink  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:51 am
Fushigi na Butterfly
Now, I could be wrong, but I think the point GD is trying to make is that, if human interpretation and translation of Scripture is faulty in some areas of what God's moral standards are, what does that mean for our interpretation of God's view on abortion?

Maybe?

Originally I had assumed it was something of the sort. However, Galad Damodred has repeatedly refused to discuss his point, choosing instead to repeat the same message over and over.

This leads me to believe his purpose was not to pursue an actual discussion.  

zz1000zz
Crew

zz1000zz
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:56 am
Innocence Is Me
A side note. I did not read every single response, although I did read a few on the first page. So forgive me if what I say has already been mentioned.

I believe a fetus is a human being. It's just in a different stage in life. No different than an infant stage or a toddler stage.

Some people will disagree with me, but I have to ask, if it's not a human, what is it? A blob of nothingness? An alien? A pig? A dog? It's obviously alive, so it can't just be an object. It's developing into a full grown adult. Hey, I'm 19, I could still be considered developing...does that mean I'm not a human yet? wink

It is not a human, it is a fetus. A fetus is a fetus. A pig is a pig. A dog is a dog. There is no reason to conflate any of these.

There is an obvious difference between an adolescent and a fetus.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:47 pm
zz1000zz
Innocence Is Me

It is not a human, it is a fetus. A fetus is a fetus. A pig is a pig. A dog is a dog. There is no reason to conflate any of these.

There is an obvious difference between an adolescent and a fetus.

A fetus is alive. And adolescent is alive. Both are developing into full grown adults. What exactly is the difference here?  

Innocence Is Me

Dapper Browser

750 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Window Shopper 100

zz1000zz
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:02 pm
Innocence Is Me
A fetus is alive. And adolescent is alive. Both are developing into full grown adults. What exactly is the difference here?

I am not sure which difference would be "the difference," but I can think of many differences between adolescent and fetuses.

Adolescents breathe.
Adolescents walk.
Adolescents talk.
Adolescents are legally considered humans.
Fetuses grow new organs.
Fetuses live in a largely parasitic fashion, depending on their host.

I could list a few hundred differences.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:20 am
Ok I also didn't read much of this post but I am just going to say what I think anyways.
I can't believe that people care more about animal babies than human ones. When a tanner kills a baby calf to make leather people think oh its so inhumane. But our very own President is trying to make it ok to take new born babies and kill them for there newly developed cells that you can mold in order to help people fight off disease now I'm not saying that it sounds bad but think about it the baby has just experienced life for the first time and your going to kill it to save some other guy who has had a good life in the name of SCIENCE. well BAH HUMBUG!!!!  

Lindsey B3

zz1000zz
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:38 am
Lindsey B3
Ok I also didn't read much of this post but I am just going to say what I think anyways.
I can't believe that people care more about animal babies than human ones. When a tanner kills a baby calf to make leather people think oh its so inhumane. But our very own President is trying to make it ok to take new born babies and kill them for there newly developed cells that you can mold in order to help people fight off disease now I'm not saying that it sounds bad but think about it the baby has just experienced life for the first time and your going to kill it to save some other guy who has had a good life in the name of SCIENCE. well BAH HUMBUG!!!!

I have no idea what made you bring up the issue of killing babies. Nobody has been discussing this, and Barack Obama certainly has not been attempting to legalize it.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:11 pm
Abortion is killing babies and yes he is. He's doing the whole woman's choice thing.  

Lindsey B3

zz1000zz
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:31 pm
Lindsey B3
Abortion is killing babies and yes he is. He's doing the whole woman's choice thing.

Abortion is killing fetuses, not babies. It certainly is not killing "newborn babies" as you initially said.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:39 am
Lindsey B3
He's doing the whole woman's choice thing.

By that, I assume you mean the Freedom of Choice Act (House and Senate versions). We have had discussions about this previously. I suggest you read up on them to be better informed.

Do you suggest that a woman should not have reproductive choice or authority over what happens to her own body?

Priestley

Fushigi na Butterfly

High-functioning Businesswoman

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:21 pm
Innocence Is Me
A fetus is alive. And adolescent is alive.

Plants are alive. Plankton is alive. Bugs are alive. None of these things are human beings.

However, I do tend to agree that fetuses are just another stage of human development- an infant is a human, a toddler is a human, and since we've all pretty much agreed that there is no difference between a baby at nine months on the inside and a baby at nine months on the outside aside from location, it does seem a little wrong to judge one's humanity based on the number of cells they have and their physical and cognitive capabilities. confused

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:42 pm
Fushigi na Butterfly
Innocence Is Me
A fetus is alive. And adolescent is alive.

Plants are alive. Plankton is alive. Bugs are alive. None of these things are human beings.

However, I do tend to agree that fetuses are just another stage of human development- an infant is a human, a toddler is a human, and since we've all pretty much agreed that there is no difference between a baby at nine months on the inside and a baby at nine months on the outside aside from location, it does seem a little wrong to judge one's humanity based on the number of cells they have and their physical and cognitive capabilities. confused

That's why there need to be limitations on abortions after the stage of development at which the nervous system is developed sufficiently enough to feel pain/distress.  

Priestley

Galad Aglaron

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:00 pm
And yet we'd still rather perform experiments on chimpanzees who have full ability to feel pain and distress rather than encephalitic babies who can neither receive nor process sensory input. Here I was thinking all life was sacred. Silly me. rolleyes  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:10 pm
Galad Damodred
And yet we'd still rather perform experiments on chimpanzees who have full ability to feel pain and distress rather than encephalitic babies who can neither receive nor process sensory input. Here I was thinking all life was sacred. Silly me. rolleyes

I'm not sure who "we" are, but this has nothing to do with the discussion. confused  

Fushigi na Butterfly

High-functioning Businesswoman

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200

Priestley

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:52 am
Fushigi na Butterfly
Galad Damodred

I'm not sure who "we" are, but this has nothing to do with the discussion. confused

I'm sure that, by "we", he meant humanity.

But Fushigi is right: comments about animal experimentation do not belong in a thread about abortion.

Thread Archive {Hot topics}

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 10 11 12 13 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff