Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
This is a stupid question but I'm going to ask anyway thread Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 74 75 76 77 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:17 pm
kage no neko
What does it feel like to meditate? (I've failed at meditating so far..)

And if you're supposed to keep your mind clear when meditating, how can you contact the gods at the same time?

kage no neko
But what does it feel like? Just calming?

Depends on the kind of meditation. Most of what we see here in the US that is considered Meditation stems largely from formal Buddhist schools.

So, for them? I can't say. I typically practice a motion based meditation. Dance, hike, running... depends on what I am trying to do.

I know I'm in the right place when I hit a sense of resonance.
Resonance is hard to describe outside of having someone experience it then informing them of what to call it.

As for keeping your mind clear, it's less about clear and more about uncluttered. You're not shooting for Empty, you're shooting for not cycling through thought processes, cutting down on the internal dialogue and focusing on the task at hand over the day to day questions of "Did I set out my socks for tomorrow?"  
kage no neko
What does it feel like to meditate? (I've failed at meditating so far..)

And if you're supposed to keep your mind clear when meditating, how can you contact the gods at the same time?

I suppose it's different from person to person (or, at it always seems in my case: different from me), but for me it's kinda like going from one room to another and shutting the door. You know there's a world outside, but you're not dealing with it at the moment. Then, it's up to you to decide what you want to do.  

AniMajor

8,000 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Mark Twain 100

kage no neko

Invisible Phantom

8,500 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
Oh. Well I'm also trying to learn how to meditate. I figure knowing what I'm trying to accomplish might help.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:18 pm
AngryRobotsInc.

I have trouble clearing my mind, being unmedicated for ADHD

Not to get personal, but is there a reason you avoid medication?  

Kuroiban

Dapper Explorer

2,450 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Statustician 100
  • Member 100

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:34 pm
kage no neko
Oh. Well I'm also trying to learn how to meditate. I figure knowing what I'm trying to accomplish might help.
The feelings aren't synonymous with the action though.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:40 pm
Kuroiban
AngryRobotsInc.

Uninsured. Can't afford it.  

IH_Zero

kage no neko

Invisible Phantom

8,500 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:45 pm
Well crap then.
I mean, just sitting there all quiet leaves me bored.
I also need to learn how to open up my mind so I can be contacted (if anyone wants to contact me..) and I haven't a clue where to begin with that.
Do you have any methods of meditation that include more than just sitting there in the quiet? I've thought of humming while doing that, but I'm afraid I'll get strange looks, lol.

And I know how being uninsured goes. emo  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:47 pm
AngryRobotsInc.
Kuroiban
AngryRobotsInc.

Uninsured. Can't afford it.

I had a feeling that was that answer. I hate insurence, even though I have it.

Have you tried looking into medication contracts? Some companies will try and work with you.

For the record, not trying to shove pills down your throat, but I know that meds really made a huge difference for me so I like to encourage people to try them if they can.  

Kuroiban

Dapper Explorer

2,450 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Statustician 100
  • Member 100

IH_Zero

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:50 pm
Kuroiban

I had a feeling that was that answer. I hate insurence, even though I have it.

Have you tried looking into medication contracts? Some companies will try and work with you.

For the record, not trying to shove pills down your throat, but I know that meds really made a huge difference for me so I like to encourage people to try them if they can.

Not a problem. I've never actually been medicated for it, as my parents were the "There's absolutely nothing wrong with our kid" sort, even with a diagnosis to back it up. I'm going to be on Medicaid fairly soon, so I'm going to be going to a psych with my old medical records, to see if I can get on something.

I'm more than willing to try out some medication, as I've tried nearly ever other method of control I've ever been informed on, and nothing's really helped. So in the interest of actually being able to hold down a job one day, I'll happily take whatever I'm advised to by a psych.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:53 pm
Kage have you ever considered trying guided meditations?  

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:53 pm
kage no neko
Well crap then.
Yes, you can meditate on the toilet.
Quote:

Perhaps stationary based meditation isn't for you then?
Quote:
I also need to learn how to open up my mind so I can be contacted (if anyone wants to contact me..) and I haven't a clue where to begin with that.
My question would be this: Why would someone contact you?

Quote:
Do you have any methods of meditation that include more than just sitting there in the quiet?
Plenty. What kinds of things do you do for recreation?
Quote:

I've thought of humming while doing that, but I'm afraid I'll get strange looks, lol.
Why would it matter if you did?  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:59 pm
TeaDidikai
What elements of the theology do you enjoy? For example, which sets of Maxims do you agree with? Do you revise them to your modern culture? What justification do you hold for doing so if such is the case?

I'm not familar with the word Maxims nor Theology, But I have heard of them. sweatdrop I'm sorry for being difficult, But may I have a dumbdown example of what they are?

I'm sure I know at least what Theology means, Just not the word.

Quote:
It didn't mean such for the ancient Greeks it would seem.

That being said, what do you consider Witchcraft?

I believe that is the first time I've asked myself that.

Well, I guess I would consider Witchcraft to be the deliberate use of objects, symbols, date and time or words to change a situation or state of being to bring on a desired a outcome.

Quote:
I don't find you annoying.

That makes me feel better, Thank you.

Quote:
But for the Witchcraft thing, we need more context. There are some practices included in Witchcraft that could be impious no matter how you slice it.

I understand where you're coming from. I have created rules and guidelines to go by that keep myself from doing anything that I wouldn't want done to me.

Namikikyo

Kuroiban

Dapper Explorer

2,450 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Statustician 100
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:00 pm
AngryRobotsInc.

Not a problem. I've never actually been medicated for it, as my parents were the "There's absolutely nothing wrong with our kid" sort, even with a diagnosis to back it up. I'm going to be on Medicaid fairly soon, so I'm going to be going to a psych with my old medical records, to see if I can get on something.

I'm more than willing to try out some medication, as I've tried nearly ever other method of control I've ever been informed on, and nothing's really helped. So in the interest of actually being able to hold down a job one day, I'll happily take whatever I'm advised to by a psych.

My parents were much the same way, but for different reasons. Their reasoning was that I was fairly smart, so how I could I have a learning disability and also that I could pay rather excellent attention to video games. Of course, video game provide near constant stimulation so it's muich easier to pay attention. I didn't get my issues sorted out untill I was about 26-27.

Awesome on the medicaid stuffs. Good luck!  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:06 pm
Namikikyo
I'm not familar with the word Maxims nor Theology, But I have heard of them. sweatdrop I'm sorry for being difficult, But may I have a dumbdown example of what they are?

I'm sure I know at least what Theology means, Just not the word.
You're not being difficult. Maxims are the guiding principles and sayings of the Hellenics.

Theology is the study of religion.

These are not authoritative denotations, just as a heads up.

Quote:
I believe that is the first time I've asked myself that.

Well, I guess I would consider Witchcraft to be the deliberate use of objects, symbols, date and time or words to change a situation or state of being to bring on a desired a outcome.
Very interesting definition.
How is this different from worship in your eyes?

Quote:
That makes me feel better, Thank you.
Hesh. You want to give the new folks the impression I'm reasonable or something?

Quote:
I understand where you're coming from. I have created rules and guidelines to go by that keep myself from doing anything that I wouldn't want done to me.
Why would you be the standard?  

TeaDidikai

kage no neko

Invisible Phantom

8,500 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:18 pm
TeaDidikai
kage no neko
Well crap then.
Yes, you can meditate on the toilet.
Quote:

Perhaps stationary based meditation isn't for you then?
Quote:
My question would be this: Why would someone contact you?

Quote:
Do you have any methods of meditation that include more than just sitting there in the quiet?
Plenty. What kinds of things do you do for recreation?
Quote:

I've thought of humming while doing that, but I'm afraid I'll get strange looks, lol.
Why would it matter if you did?

I really suck at breaking down posts, sorry.

I'm hoping a god or a goddess might contact me. Honestly, I just feel so left out. I have no clue who to worship, so I'm hoping someone will tell me they want me to worship them.

I like to do things like paint and draw, but lately my creative ideas have all been out the window and I can't think of what to do. I also like to crochet, but after a while my wrist starts popping and hurting really bad. Could crocheting work to help me meditate? Or some other mindless repetitive task?

And I can't think of any other reasons to meditate right now, though I know I have other reasons.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 74 75 76 77 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games