Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian British Guild

Back to Guilds

A haven for British Gaians, and those sympathetic to their peculiar ways! 

Tags: britain, british, United Kingdom, english, england 

Reply Gaian British Guild
Great British Food Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Bronze Griffin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:01 pm
Invictus_88
The full English Breakfast, a passionate exhultation by Invictus

There is truly no greater British dish than the full English breakfast. It is upon the Full English Breakfast that the empire was started. Hell, we needed all that empire-building just to burn off the damned calories.

Every morning I have a mini English breakfast which comprises four rashers of bacon, baked beans, mashed potato, black pudding, two fried eggs, grilled tomato and grilled mushroom with a glass of orange juice.

Before an expedition I have the Invictal Full English Breakfast, it comprises the following.

Starter:
Bowl of cereal, any sort.

Left plate:
Toast, jam, butter.

Centre plate:
Fried bread, two sausages, three rashers of bacon, baked beans, hash-browns (not quite what it sounds like), grilled tomato, grilled mushroom and black pudding.

To drink:
A cup of tea and a short series of glasses of orange juice.

Bloody, excellent.

biggrin

Super! biggrin  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:02 am
Vodka flavoured scorpion-lolly. Kate got me it from Fortnum & Mason, I'm getting quite close to the scorpion though...I'm not sure what to do. I've got a tiny pionty bit of claw protruding from the top.

neutral

Invictus_88
Captain

ficklefiend
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:49 pm
Invictus_88
Vodka flavoured scorpion-lolly. Kate got me it from Fortnum & Mason, I'm getting quite close to the scorpion though...I'm not sure what to do. I've got a tiny pointy bit of claw protruding from the top.

neutral

bite it.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:19 am
ficklefiend
Invictus_88
Vodka flavoured scorpion-lolly. Kate got me it from Fortnum & Mason, I'm getting quite close to the scorpion though...I'm not sure what to do. I've got a tiny pointy bit of claw protruding from the top.

neutral

bite it.

I sucked it until I just had a scorpion held on a thin base of the sugary stuff.

Then I held it between my front teeth, bit off the tail, yelped, and unhooked the stinger from my tongue. After snapping off the pointy bit I ate the tail, it was crunchy and tasted a bit like toast, but slightly more savoury.

Then I ate the body, it was comparatively fat. I ate it holding it between my molars and slowly crushing it. It was quite noisy, and made Kate swear never to kiss me ever again.

That bit tasted a bit salty, and a lot like savoury toast. A bit unpleasant really, compared to the vodka-sweet. And the hard little bits of shell-casing were horrible. They get stuck in your teeth and they're hard to swallow.

All-in-all though, I'm glad I did it.

Invictus_88
Captain

Panthino the Moth

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:15 am
For some reason, bed and breakfasts have trouble making a Full English without the meat. So I inevitably end up eating slimy scrambled eggs on barely-scorched toast. confused I should carry my own vegetarian sausages about, really.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:19 pm
Invictus_88
ficklefiend
Invictus_88

neutral

bite it.

I sucked it until I just had a scorpion held on a thin base of the sugary stuff.

Then I held it between my front teeth, bit off the tail, yelped, and unhooked the stinger from my tongue. After snapping off the pointy bit I ate the tail, it was crunchy and tasted a bit like toast, but slightly more savoury.

Then I ate the body, it was comparatively fat. I ate it holding it between my molars and slowly crushing it. It was quite noisy, and made Kate swear never to kiss me ever again.

That bit tasted a bit salty, and a lot like savoury toast. A bit unpleasant really, compared to the vodka-sweet. And the hard little bits of shell-casing were horrible. They get stuck in your teeth and they're hard to swallow.

All-in-all though, I'm glad I did it.

Urgh. You described that much too well.  

Shadow of an Illusion
Crew

El Capitano

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:34 am
It's gotta be the finest of them all, the true king of all British food...Fish and Chips..Who can resist a large Cod and Chips -It's rather tasty-licious heart  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:39 am
El Capitano
It's gotta be the finest of them all, the true king of all British food...Fish and Chips..Who can resist a large Cod and Chips -It's rather tasty-licious heart

Cod? Pah! There is a reason why Scotland has the best fish and chips in the world. That reason is Haddock.  

ficklefiend
Crew

Panthino the Moth

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:35 am
ficklefiend
El Capitano

Cod? Pah! There is a reason why Scotland has the best fish and chips in the world. That reason is Haddock.

Veggie nuggets, anyone?  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:20 pm
Panthino the Moth
ficklefiend
El Capitano

Veggie nuggets, anyone?

Battered sausage > Haddock / Cod / veggie nuggets

South East chip shops > Scottish chip shops (which I found to be suprisingly sparse and all of them were moving towards a healthier option)

and_solo_said

Shadow of an Illusion
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:09 pm
and_solo_said
Panthino the Moth
ficklefiend
El Capitano

Veggie nuggets, anyone?

South East chip shops > Scottish chip shops (which I found to be suprisingly sparse and all of them were moving towards a healthier option)

I'll agree about the sausage but you were looking in the wrong place in Scotland. My nearest town has 3 chip shops on the street along the harbour, plus a restuarant with a sign that says something along the lines of "Fish and chips, served on plates".  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:24 am
and_solo_said
Panthino the Moth
ficklefiend
El Capitano

Veggie nuggets, anyone?

Where were you in Scotland because you really have to be in or around a working fishing port to get the best fish and chips. East coast, possibly a few little spots on the west (The Ullapool chipper aint too shabby)

The best I have ever eaten was easily Zanre's in Peterhead. They are on the doorstep of the harbour and their fish is fresh and melts in your mouth. They won the best chip shop award a few years back and Blue Peter went to visit them, it was funny because the kids they picked to be on film must have been the most well-spoken kids in the whole of the town! I've never heard a Peeterheed kid speak like that, ever.

I sway between battered sausage and haddock. Occasionally I'll be super indulgent and have a white pudding supper (Truly a heart attack on a plate) but you have to make sure you've got a drink as well, otherwise you loose every drop of liquid from your mouth to the oatmeal- beware!  

ficklefiend
Crew

rojodiablo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:23 am
Crumpets! Crumpets with wild honey or raspberry preserve or just lots of melty butter.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:36 pm
rojodiablo
Crumpets! Crumpets with wild honey or raspberry preserve or just lots of melty butter.

I second this motion.

The phrase "oozing with butter" makes my mum's skin crawl.  

ficklefiend
Crew

Foetus In Fetu
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 11:07 am
Emmanuela
I pitty that American who lacks a KitKat in his cuboards. British food, although famously s**t, is actually quite good. I love Yorkshire puddings, aren't they the greatest? And real English sausages, yummy! And what about English cheeses? French ones are nice and all, but a bit of real English cheese is far superior!

Proper pub food is always good, and can certainly be far better then crappy pretentious French (I'm not having a go at the French here or anything) resturants.

Gaian British Guild

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff