Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian British Guild

Back to Guilds

A haven for British Gaians, and those sympathetic to their peculiar ways! 

Tags: britain, british, United Kingdom, english, england 

Reply Gaian British Guild
Great British Film Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Carmen LaVihta

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:01 pm
I want to see newest Harry Potter,but I don't have money! crying My sister told me it was awesome.

And oh,if anybody is interested in science fiction,please check this out:
www-fi3.starwreck.com
You might even like it. xd  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 4:00 pm
A Lost Iguana
Foetus In Fetu
A Lost Iguana
And the controversy:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/film/4077987.stm

People are touchy.

As an agnostic I reject the theological overtones of Narnia and I think it ought to at least carry a warning so that impressionable children are not lead astray from the path of rationalism.

Disgruntled of Catford

(Though, I think they [Narnia] are great books; shame more cannot see the irony in accusing HDM of "brainwashing" children)

You can see where they are coming from. A film which casts doubt on religion and christianity (and it does, regerdless of what Pullman might try to say, it does) will bomb in America. If it was a small British film they would get away with more but New Line cinema are a big company now and are out to make lots of money, simple as that.

Narnia as a whole doesn't have that many theological overtones for me. Yes, you can call Aslan god but C.S Lewis was at worst athiest and at best a heretic.  

ficklefiend
Crew

Misty_Watersprite

Aged Browser

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:04 am
ficklefiend
A Lost Iguana
Foetus In Fetu
A Lost Iguana
And the controversy:

People are touchy.

As an agnostic I reject the theological overtones of Narnia and I think it ought to at least carry a warning so that impressionable children are not lead astray from the path of rationalism.

Disgruntled of Catford

(Though, I think they [Narnia] are great books; shame more cannot see the irony in accusing HDM of "brainwashing" children)

You can see where they are coming from. A film which casts doubt on religion and christianity (and it does, regerdless of what Pullman might try to say, it does) will bomb in America. If it was a small British film they would get away with more but New Line cinema are a big company now and are out to make lots of money, simple as that.

Narnia as a whole doesn't have that many theological overtones for me. Yes, you can call Aslan god but C.S Lewis was at worst athiest and at best a heretic.

Quote:
"You have to recognise that it is a challenge in the climate of Bush's America."

Well doesn't that just explain everything? stare  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:30 am
ficklefiend
A Lost Iguana
Foetus In Fetu
A Lost Iguana
And the controversy:

People are touchy.

Disgruntled of Catford

He was an athiest, and then he wasn't. I think he converted to Catholicism.  

Boolean Julian
Crew

whathedickens

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:11 pm
Carmen LaVihta
I want to see newest Harry Potter,but I don't have money! crying My sister told me it was awesome.

Ehhh...I'm a dork, so I was disappointed with the deviation from the book. The whole beginning was off. Overall, it was good, just not as good as it could have been with no time limit and whatnot. That's one movie they should make an extended version of so things actually play out correctly. rolleyes  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:59 am
Does anyone know when the Beowolf (spelling? sorry!) movie comes out- I really want to see it!  

girl_no_13

A Lost Iguana

Aged Pants

9,100 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:48 am
girl_no_13
Does anyone know when the Beowolf (spelling? sorry!) movie comes out- I really want to see it!

They are making a film of that?! Is nothing sacred from the money making film industry?

I'll still see it. XD  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:20 am
A Lost Iguana
girl_no_13

They are making a film of that?! Is nothing sacred from the money making film industry?

I'll still see it. XD

Me too. heart  

Foetus In Fetu
Vice Captain

Invictus_88
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:23 pm
A Lost Iguana
girl_no_13

I'll still see it. XD

I'd not heard about this..

It sounds so horribly prone to a 'Troy' Hollywoodisation, and yet such potention be become a cult film. Damn, it could be beautiful. Dark, gritty, terrifying.

It could be great, but I fear it won't be.

does anyone have a link to somewhere with more info? I'm costing Kate's family a bit too much on dial-up right now to have a hunt, and the thing would grind to freezing-up if I opened more than two windows.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:49 pm
girl_no_13

Whaaaaaat?!?!? I want to see it! Wow, that's odd. Never thought they'd make a film on it, though there have been many a cheesy animated videos.  

whathedickens

girl_no_13

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:42 am
All I know is that the script was written (or possibly cowritten) by Neil Gaimon- so it will probably be very dark, clever, and hopefully good.

EDIT
Ok, =http://www.beowulfandgrendel.com/]here is the official website. I'm confused- I really thought Neil Gaimon had something to do with it, but I can't find his name in the crew section confused  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:57 pm
******** yes! Gerard Butler! Ahem.....I am elated. 3nodding  

whathedickens

Koshkah

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:19 am
Modern British films that are supurb have to be
Shaun of the Dead (favourite line Shaun says to ed "because I love her" Ed says "Alright..gay" AHHAHAHAHAH you have to see it)
The Harry Potters (who has not been in those films who are British, well theres me but thats beside the point)
Love Actually (wooooo kicking it back to the Americans in the prime minsters speech, take that Billy Bob)  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:08 am
Ah, Love Actually.

Wouldn't it be nice if our PM actually did something like that?

3nodding

Invictus_88
Captain

Spatterdash

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:31 am
Wouldn't it be nice if life was like a Richard Curtis film, full stop? Everything's lovely and fluffy, nasty things don't exist, and it always snows on Christmas Day. Aah.  
Gaian British Guild

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff