Welcome to Gaia! ::

GCD GANGSTAS

Back to Guilds

Its just that hip, yo 

Tags: Geeceedee, GCDer, Items, Plot, Awesome 

Reply Come Back Mero <33
Hurdur, its a chat thread Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 1142 1143 1144 1145 1146 1147 ... 1196 1197 1198 1199 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

floraIwitch

Popular Poster

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:37 pm

I almost never pay for art anymore because I've befriended 90% of the good artists from the art shops forum years ago...........

stares at everyone on tumblr

But I feel like whenever I did pay for art, I was horribly disappointed. Especially when someone would draw one of my dudes that wasn't Alula (aka the only one that it's ok to draw like a squishy desuchild)...

I'll have to post my favorite later, though. I have gotten some fantastic stuff, but I think it was mostly through knowing the artists or them wanting to network.
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:51 pm

Slick Southpaw
Halfling Heroine
Slick Southpaw
Halfling Heroine
I now remember why I stopped chancing my arm in the art freebies forum.
I've easily posted in over twenty threads and I've only gotten one reply. I understand that they are freebies and no-one is obliged to draw anything, but it does get a bit disheartening when your request is ignored/turned down time and time again. sweatdrop [Mind you, it still beats trying to wade through all the over-priced art shops.] I wish some of the artists I commissioned before were still around...

wat
this sounds like my kind of luck. Like for srs.

I can't understand why people wouldn't draw you. You fit like 99% of artist requirements.

I get why people don't wanna draw me, cos I'm dressed as a hairy muscular non bishie dude with facial hair, horns and goatlegs.

It's consoling to hear I'm not the only person who has bad luck with these things. gonk

All the people I've come so far (with one exception) haven't even been interested enough in my avatar to quote me and say "sorry no thanks", let a mind actually draw me.I can only guess that people are either allergic to drawing armor or my avatar isn't the right kind of 'feminine'.(Elegant as opposed to cute.)

I would love to commission you Ichi but the most I could afford to pay you would be a million,(if I sold few things) and I'm guessing that wouldn't be nearly enough to commission an artist of your caliber.(I don't know what you're saying about not being the best, you're an excellent artist.) The other problem is a lot of the good artists on Gaia will only accept RL commissions these days, which aren't an option for me because I don't have my own credit card. Those who do accept gold commission have to be bribed with ultra rare items and have huge waiting lists. That's not even getting into the fact that buying art can often be a bit of a gamble anyway. The last piece of art I ordered was nowhere near, in my opinion, the standard of the artist's samples. However I had already paid and felt like I wasn't in a position to complain or ask for a refund.
Pssh, my bad luck was so bad that I was drunk when I made my shop.
Like, I was really pissed at this chick who was advertising that she wanted to expand her horizons and draw guys that aren't bishies with horns [mind you, I was wasted on whiskey at the time]. I asked if she would draw mine, and I'd be willing to pay more than her base price/tip her ect if she drew Slick. Then she was all LOLOLOL NO I MEAN DUDES WITHOUT FACIAL HAIR AND HORNS. All the guys she selected were most def bishie like characters. Thus, my art shack was born because I got super pissed at that. xd

Which is probably why even like 100 sober edits later my OP still reeks of butthurt drunkeness. Which is fine by me, and surprisingly seems to attract people to my shop lol

Ach, it's that regal, armor look. I'd totally agree that's why people wouldn't draw your character, which is sad, because it's nice to see something other than desu chicks. Not like there's anything wrong with them, I comment on people's profiles that have really cute avatars that catch my eye, but y'know, it gets tedious after awhile seein the same old things.

Ugh, I hear you on the commission woes. I paid a chick 500k for this once piece and I was liek

...this is not near the quality close to your samples I have been looking for. emotion_facepalm I made up for the loss in commissions, buuuuuut it still bugs me. And I kinda regret payin for it. Eh, you learn when it comes to buying art how to roll. Thankfully the other commissions I paid for yielded much better results after that frustration.

It seems if your character is anything other then a kawaii school girl, no-one is interested in drawing you. (Not that I have anything against people who enjoy cute things, but that's just not my cup of tea.) I have to laugh at that girl claiming she wanted to try drawing none-bishy guys, and then turned down your character. I mean, you couldn't get a more interesting, masculine character then Slick! I took a look at your shop before, and I actually found the opening post to be a very entertaining read. If I ever had any male OCs I wanted drawn I'd certainly consider ordering from you.

What really left a bad taste in my mouth about that particular commission was that the 450k I paid for the piece was a gift from my friend, Wolfmier. She was a lovely person whom I got to know from commissioning art from her. Sadly she quit Gaia last May, and left me that gold as a goodbye present. To have wasted her parting gift on such a horrible piece of art made me feel very frustrated.
I'm actually feeling so annoyed about this right now that I'm going to post the art.(I've posted it as a link to avoid stretching the page.) Maybe you guys wouldn't think this piece is that bad, but keeping in mind that this was meant to be art of my current avatar, I feel this art bares little resemblance to the reference. Compared with the other 3D art in my signature this piece is of very poor quality, in my opinion.
http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac10/Aquadreamer00/elf_by_dirufan-d51an6x.png

I'm starting to think that the only solution is to try an improve my own art and get a scanner or a tablet so I can actually post my pictures online. Right now I have to make do with taking photographs with my brother's camera. (Which I rarely do, because right now I'm not a good enough artist to be even doing freebies for people.)

Halfling Heroine

Enduring Hero

Magnificent Moonbeam

Angelic Lunatic

41,275 Points
  • Moonlight Valkyrie 500
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Fantastic Fifteen 100
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:56 pm

Slick Southpaw
your stuff is pretty good, Ichi, but too rich for my blood.

@Moonbeam: Maple Porkchops does sound pretty delish, actually xd
xd I'll be sure to try it for you to see how it will taste. My mom told me it's really good.
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:02 pm

Prince Ichi
Dude I charge a mil for a flat full body LOL. I can get RL commissions pretty easily through networking on tumblr, or hunting through the request forum, but I like doing ones for gaia occasionally simply for practice before I work on RLCs.

I've always loved your avatars, too, like augdfkjhf armor ARMOR EVERYWHERE.. I need to get better at drawing armor before I tackle one of my commissions, which is basically doing a full body, full suit ref for someone's ME3 Fem!shep.

Also if you're ever dissatisfied with something, just speak up, I mean there are rules in the art forums saying you can't misrepresent your work. You won't come off as rude or anything, you're the customer and have every right to ask for a change or whatever.

You actually do full body for such a reasonable price? emotion_kirakira I swear as soon as I can get some gold together, I'd love to commission you! I'm glad you like my avatar so much too. redface I suppose I should have spoken up, but at the time I felt like I couldn't object without bring a whole pile of drama upon myself. This happened a few months ago so I doubt anything could be done at this stage..

I only joined Gaia in 2008, and didn't start investigating avatar art until late 2010, so I wouldn't have been around the art shops in the old days. Funnily enough though, some of the nicest pieces of avatar art I have are freebies my friend drew for me before she quit. I've never gone on tumblr before, mainly because I'm a bit confused about what it's actually about. lol

Halfling Heroine

Enduring Hero

Slick Southpaw

Feral Faun

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:26 pm

Halfling Heroine
What really left a bad taste in my mouth about that particular commission was that the 450k I paid for the piece was a gift from my friend, Wolfmier. She was a lovely person whom I got to know from commissioning art from her. Sadly she quit Gaia last May, and left me that gold as a goodbye present. To have wasted her parting gift on such a horrible piece of art made me feel very frustrated.
I'm actually feeling so annoyed about this right now that I'm going to post the art.(I've posted it as a link to avoid stretching the page.) Maybe you guys wouldn't think this piece is that bad, but keeping in mind that this was meant to be art of my current avatar, I feel this art bares little resemblance to the reference. Compared with the other 3D art in my signature this piece is of very poor quality, in my opinion.
http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac10/Aquadreamer00/elf_by_dirufan-d51an6x.png

I'm starting to think that the only solution is to try an improve my own art and get a scanner or a tablet so I can actually post my pictures online. Right now I have to make do with taking photographs with my brother's camera. (Which I rarely do, because right now I'm not a good enough artist to be even doing freebies for people.)
Awwww thanks <3
I look at other people and their nice OPs and keep on thinking I should make it look...nicer. But I feel like the crudeness is part of the appeal and so my lazy a** doesn't change it.

homg, bad 3-D art time. heart nice rack, by the way. However, it totally diminishes the aspect of your character completely D:

My turn! I present to you...EMO SLICK! rofl
http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o242/blkfuzzycat/faun_by_dirufan-d50cr6e.png

I just end up doodling stuff for my character because 90% of people don't wanna draw the hairy b*****d xD And I'm looking for price ranges I can afford, which is another limiting factor, but I've gotten really good deals for what I've found.

I used to use the camera. Best way to do it is to make sure it's nice and bright outside, do a black and white kind of pic, and use the camera that way. It's a bit of a juggling act, but I made due with it before a scanner, and the natural light kinda helps remove that vague grey fuzziness that some photos give. And if you do just black and white ink, it's easier *mind you, I've got zero experience with photoshop &co* to use something like photobucket to make it all black and white and crispy.
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:46 pm

omg guys no why

why did you pay for terrible renders

why

the TEXTURES OH MY GOD

floraIwitch

Popular Poster

Slick Southpaw

Feral Faun

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:57 pm

HOMG FAIL ON POST. Sorry, I deleted yours because I forgot I have editing powers and I was super confused why you had my post style and realized I had hit edit and totally messed up your post instead of quote and AHHHHH
*hides under the carpet*

Halfling Heroine
Lawl, I like to be blunt and straight to the point, so I see no point in dilly-dallying about my conjectures and what I have to offer.

xd I just love how emo he looks. Slick during his angsty teen years before he hit the gym and bulked up
then compare it to the artist that you have in your siggy and what she did for me: http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o242/blkfuzzycat/Art I bought/slickmedium-1.png

Oh, I did it for some time before switching over to the scanner. That's why a lot of my stuff is in black and white (though I am not fond of my coloring skills-I use chalk, marker, and colored pencil). I hope to one day learn how to color on the computer.

But thanks! Arizona sun is very bright and I have clear windows to do it from. I'm sure my neighbors were very confused to see a lady awkwardly pressed against the windows with a camera. xd

@Ichi: lololololol I AM A NOOB IN ART BUYING. Fortunately I learned quickly.
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:17 pm

Prince Ichi
omg guys no why

why did you pay for terrible renders

why

the TEXTURES OH MY GOD

W-we didn't know they were going to look that bad! emotion_0A0
Those textures will haunt me in my dreams. rofl

Halfling Heroine

Enduring Hero

Halfling Heroine

Enduring Hero

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:23 pm

Slick Southpaw
HOMG FAIL ON POST. Sorry, I deleted yours because I forgot I have editing powers and I was super confused why you had my post style and realized I had hit edit and totally messed up your post instead of quote and AHHHHH
*hides under the carpet*

Halfling Heroine
Lawl, I like to be blunt and straight to the point, so I see no point in dilly-dallying about my conjectures and what I have to offer.

xd I just love how emo he looks. Slick during his angsty teen years before he hit the gym and bulked up
then compare it to the artist that you have in your siggy and what she did for me: http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o242/blkfuzzycat/Art I bought/slickmedium-1.png

Oh, I did it for some time before switching over to the scanner. That's why a lot of my stuff is in black and white (though I am not fond of my coloring skills-I use chalk, marker, and colored pencil). I hope to one day learn how to color on the computer.

But thanks! Arizona sun is very bright and I have clear windows to do it from. I'm sure my neighbors were very confused to see a lady awkwardly pressed against the windows with a camera. xd

Don't worry about it, I do this all the time. You have no idea how many times I've accidentally missed up people's posts when trying to quote them. xd

Kuma did an amazing job with your character! heart She's one of the nicest and the most skilled artists on the site, in my opinion. Such a big difference between that picture and the other piece you showed me.

I hate colouring in things, I always lean too hard on the coloring pencils and end up having to sharpen them 100 times. I much prefer shading drawings with regular pencil or blending the colors together with water color pencils.

I can totally picture you pressed against the window trying to take a picture!lol I usually use one of the skylights upstairs because it's the only place in my house where I've any chance of getting decent lighting.(Sadly wet rainy weather doesn't bode well for natural sun light.)

I'm pretty much a n00b at buying, my commissions have been very hit and miss at the best of times. Sadly any of the reliable artists I've already commissions have quit Gaia or are on long-term hiatuses.
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:43 pm

Slick Southpaw
*hides under the carpet*

Halfling Heroine

oh my god a wendyvainity render

drumnbass420

Girl-Crazy Ladykiller

Magnificent Moonbeam

Angelic Lunatic

41,275 Points
  • Moonlight Valkyrie 500
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Fantastic Fifteen 100
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:11 pm

Back from playing bags. A friend of my mom's and I are planning on hanging out sometime and maybe go bar-hopping. It'd be fun. We just need to find out when and what time on the weekend. I need to get out of the house at the time anyway, maybe meet some friends and my mom said about me finding a rich guy to buy her a house or something. >.> Like that'd ever happen.
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:27 pm

*zooms around*

Slick Southpaw

Feral Faun

Rya Dracosin

Shadowy Millionaire

13,000 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Beta Citizen 0
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:39 am

Magnificent Moonbeam
Back from playing bags. A friend of my mom's and I are planning on hanging out sometime and maybe go bar-hopping. It'd be fun. We just need to find out when and what time on the weekend. I need to get out of the house at the time anyway, maybe meet some friends and my mom said about me finding a rich guy to buy her a house or something. >.> Like that'd ever happen.

I just totally imagined you throwing grocery bags around and chasing them...that's what playing bags means to me... O_o
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:24 am

*joining art comission discussion*
Because bitter art collector mad

@Slick & Halfling: My eeeyes, they hurt gonk
Those look pretty awful. I shall never attempt to get a 3D version of Voi now.
Doesn't even look anything like Halflings avatar. It's like a generic warrior chick....in what looks more like leather than armour.
What happened to faun legs on the emo one... emotion_0A0

Totes understand how hard it is to find commissions on here. I have so many that don't even look anything like the samples the person posted in their shop. Never know what to say to them. One is soo bad I've never uploaded it to photobucket. I'm ashamed of the 200k spent on it.

Hope you guys find some better art shops here. Not all are bad, it's just a task of hunting and stalking. I'll try to make myself share art shops I find interesting with everyone here emotion_c8

Also usual complaint of only receiving 50% of art. Maybe 65% of agreed RLC ones too. Some RLC ones I've paid for and have been waiting months/almost two years. They tell they're busy. Does being sweet and polite mean they'll just continue to fobbing me off?
I swear there is one artist I want to hit over the head. Paid RL monies, but she continues to open art shops/auctions here and gets nothing done but her own OCs. emotion_donotwant

More RLC artists should be like Ichi.

Voievoda

Shy Warrior

Come Back Mero <33

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 1142 1143 1144 1145 1146 1147 ... 1196 1197 1198 1199 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games