Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Worst Things You Can Ever Say As A Pagan Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 112 113 114 115 116 117 ... 227 228 229 230 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:17 pm
SpaceTerminal Destiny

You're referring to the cultural practice of setting widows on fire in India, I presume?

I was thinking of Thích Quảng Đức's sacrifice.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:39 pm
SpaceTerminal Destiny

You're referring to the cultural practice of setting widows on fire in India, I presume?

... Seriously?

burning_eyes  

Autumnal Light

3,250 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Cart Raider 100

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:21 am
mute_coyote
SpaceTerminal Destiny

... Seriously?

burning_eyes
Historically.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:34 pm
TeaDidikai
mute_coyote
SpaceTerminal Destiny

... Seriously?

burning_eyes
Historically.

I am really curious what the rationale behind that was.  

Autumnal Light

3,250 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Cart Raider 100

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:31 pm
mute_coyote

I am really curious what the rationale behind that was.
Sati was a goddess who immolated herself by jumping onto her husband's pyre in grief.

My understanding is that the Mahabharata holds the earliest accounts of the practice- but they are akin to "casual reports", rather than detailing a tradition.

It's now illegal- however symbolic Sati exist.

Being consumed with grief and loss of your beloved could drive a person to do desperate and irrational things.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:47 pm
There are some reports that Sati still occurs, often involuntarily. Part of this is because in many places women can't hold jobs, so a widow would be a drain on her family, so saying she committed suicide out of grief was an easy way out of that trap.  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

Fiddlers Green

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:20 pm

That seems more like a statement than a punishment. also a bit later than Teh Byrnie Thymes. xd
Doesn't make the statement any less powerful tho.

I'm mostly curious about punitive immolations. I've had little luck finding any reliable sources for where they originated. confused  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:21 pm
This was said by a woman that claimes that she practices hodo. She is my brother-in-laws girlfriend and my husband (and me) don't really like her. She asked my husband if he had "cursed her with negitivity" because he didn't talk to her wile they were at the park. She also claimed that her mother is sending out psycic attaks aimed at her. And today she said she didn't really like halloween because its a "Pagan" holliday. although she didn't say why.  

Neko_Bast

Tricky Cat

19,600 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Forum Regular 100

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:29 pm
Fiddlers Green
I'm mostly curious about punitive immolations. I've had little luck finding any reliable sources for where they originated. confused

I would imagine the purifying aspects of immolation come into play to a certain extent... though despite the name, I think a lot of the deaths during that period of time were not due to burning (in Iceland, apparently, they were all hung and most were male).

I find it interesting given the flag burning controversy in the US, since burning the flag is considered the only proper way to dispose of it once it has been damaged, and they sought to render that illegal because some people disposed of undamaged flags that way.

But, then, we're also a supposedly rational and secular country where the flag and patriotism have reached the status of idol, at least.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:49 pm
Actually a pretty good view point on widows and immolation is the historical fiction movie by Deepa Mehta, Water. The other two in the series Fire and Earth deal with other cultural issues in India, particularly in devout Hindu communities.

Deepa Mehta and her film crew were attacked by Hindu extremists while trying to shoot the movie in the holy city of Varanasi. They had to relocate the film set.

Quote for the thread: "Hindus are the most welcoming people and they'd never attack anyone..."  

Wrath of Ezekiel

5,350 Points
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:28 am
Neko_Bast
This was said by a woman that claimes that she practices hodo. She is my brother-in-laws girlfriend and my husband (and me) don't really like her. She asked my husband if he had "cursed her with negitivity" because he didn't talk to her wile they were at the park. She also claimed that her mother is sending out psycic attaks aimed at her.
It's a difference in cultural perspective. If she knows the first thing about you- I wouldn't blame her.

Quote:
And today she said she didn't really like halloween because its a "Pagan" holliday. although she didn't say why.
Common misinformation that is perpetuated by some pagans (I'm looking at you Cabot).  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:57 pm
TeaDidikai
Neko_Bast
This was said by a woman that claimes that she practices hodo. She is my brother-in-laws girlfriend and my husband (and me) don't really like her. She asked my husband if he had "cursed her with negitivity" because he didn't talk to her wile they were at the park. She also claimed that her mother is sending out psycic attaks aimed at her.
It's a difference in cultural perspective. If she knows the first thing about you- I wouldn't blame her.

confused question she is cracked thats what she is. I've know this woman for 6 months and she gets depressed when my husband wont talk to her, kicks my brother-in-law out for the stupidist things (then begs him to come back the same day), and treats me like i'm invisible or a child depending on whats going on. The thing is, is that my husband has never given this woman a reason to think that he would ever curse anyone, much less her.  

Neko_Bast

Tricky Cat

19,600 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Forum Regular 100

Fiddlers Green

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:11 pm
Interesting Deo, altho I always understood that Christianity identified water with purification (see baptism) rather than fire, which was related more to Zoroastrian views... and even then, purification of humans came from exposure, not immolation. confused

I'll take a look, SpaceTerminal Destiny, thank you.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:42 pm
Fiddlers Green
Interesting Deo, altho I always understood that Christianity identified water with purification (see baptism) rather than fire, which was related more to Zoroastrian views... and even then, purification of humans came from exposure, not immolation. confused

Wasn't fire the traditional means of sacrifice? Indo-Iranian traditions often hold fire as the "messenger" element to the gods. I think one example is Agni (Whose name is related to the greek word, ignis- isn't that just amazing?) who, if I recall, is the fire/messenger god. The tradition was preserved in Iran even with the onset or Zoroastrianism, which integrated it. It sounds like it may have actually been a pretty kosher human sacrifice. I mean a proper (not morally correct, but historically) old Iranian one that may have actually been taken place a long time ago, assuming there were human sacrifices in that culture a long time ago. Then again, it's far from "kosher", since the Jewish god prefers to only test people by asking them to do that sort of thing. If they also integrated Judaism as you mentioned, perhaps they thought they were "pulling an Isaac" the way god intended?  

Nomad of Nowhere

Wrath of Ezekiel

5,350 Points
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:38 pm
Teague the Druid
Fiddlers Green

Wasn't fire the traditional means of sacrifice? Indo-Iranian traditions often hold fire as the "messenger" element to the gods. I think one example is Agni (Whose name is related to the greek word, ignis- isn't that just amazing?) who, if I recall, is the fire/messenger god. The tradition was preserved in Iran even with the onset or Zoroastrianism, which integrated it. It sounds like it may have actually been a pretty kosher human sacrifice. I mean a proper (not morally correct, but historically) old Iranian one that may have actually been taken place a long time ago, assuming there were human sacrifices in that culture a long time ago. Then again, it's far from "kosher", since the Jewish god prefers to only test people by asking them to do that sort of thing. If they also integrated Judaism as you mentioned, perhaps they thought they were "pulling an Isaac" the way god intended?

Agni is the Hindu fire god. I think the story of immolation goes back to the back story involving the 6th reincarnation of Vishnu.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 112 113 114 115 116 117 ... 227 228 229 230 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games