In a way, yes, but it came out good in the end
35%
 35%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 14

NightIntent
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:58 am
MusingDragonfly
There's a life or death instance towards the end of Angels&Demons concerning Robert Langdon....well if 5+ years later he's running all over Europe with Sophie Noveaux....I'm guessing he made it. -_-

I definitely skipped a quarter of Angels and Demons and didn't feel like I'd missed any major plot points. XDD And throughout that entire scene where he was supposedly going to die, I was thinking the same kind of thing: "If he died, there would be no DaVinci Code book, so this is just kinda blah." I read Angels and Demons before The DaVinci Code, though. I've been halfway through The DaVinci Code for about three months now. <.<"  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:55 pm
When something out of the blue happens that isn't even related to the story. It's just annoying.  

Fudge Sprinkled Cupcakes

ArtemisLiCa

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:11 pm
I hate, hate, HATE bad sequels! The more I liked the first book the more I hate it when the sequel ruins it for me by being horrible! crying

I also hate books that don't have any kind of...closure? I'm referring to books in a series where there is no stand alone plot, mostly. Of course, books that just seem to stop rather than end fit in this category as well.

And character names, especially main/major characters, that I can't wrap my mind around. This is right up there with author-created languages that I can't even begin to guess the pronunciation for without some kind of glossary.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:14 pm
ArtemisLiCa
I hate, hate, HATE bad sequels! The more I liked the first book the more I hate it when the sequel ruins it for me by being horrible! crying

I also hate books that don't have any kind of...closure? I'm referring to books in a series where there is no stand alone plot, mostly. Of course, books that just seem to stop rather than end fit in this category as well.

And character names, especially main/major characters, that I can't wrap my mind around. This is right up there with author-created languages that I can't even begin to guess the pronunciation for without some kind of glossary.

Yep, I've started keeping a sticky note with my bookmarker with names and notes about characters in some of the books where there are just too many characters and the names are so similar.  

Nimue_of_Avalon

Iconoclast Enthusiast

5,650 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:19 pm
What ruins a good fantasy story? A bad TV series *coughlegendoftheseekercough*

Sexism really ruins a story for me or at least makes it less enjoyable. Dracula, for example.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:20 pm
I agree about the TV series. At the same a good adaption to TV/movie can be really good. For example Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman was adapted into a very cool but not so well known tv series ages ago. I really want to read the book now.
bad adaptions on the other hand...ruin the book (unless you avoid the movie on purpose). these include for me Susan Coopers Dark is rising series (seriously why does it need to be a american setting in the movie) and Myazakis sons adaption of the Earthsea chronicles which totally destroyed the story but had good animation and music.

The other thing for me that ruins fantasy series are whiny characters. I gave up on Harry potter in one of the books because of this, as well as Twilight. I am sure there are others but i can't think of them at the moment.  

creampies2135

The Vorpal Tom

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:20 am
#1 thing to ruin a fantasy story (or any story, for that matter) for me: Sparkly ANYTHING. Shiny, that's fine. Sparkly, BIG no-no. (Yes, Twilight, I'm talking to you.)

Um ... other than that... just the basic stuff that people have said again and again. Whiny people, bad sequels, etc.

Oh! Crazed fandoms. (Once again... Damn twilight)  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:20 pm
I agree with the sexism comment above. I add that sex that does nothing to further to romance/plot does nothing for me also. If it's just thrown in to "titillate us" why bother writing a book at all? Cheap cheap cheap !

heart  

Fae Yin

Sparkly Genius

Fae Yin

Sparkly Genius

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:21 pm
The Vorpal Tom
#1 thing to ruin a fantasy story (or any story, for that matter) for me: Sparkly ANYTHING. Shiny, that's fine. Sparkly, BIG no-no. (Yes, Twilight, I'm talking to you.)

Um ... other than that... just the basic stuff that people have said again and again. Whiny people, bad sequels, etc.

Oh! Crazed fandoms. (Once again... Damn twilight)

I'm sorry. I heart Twilight. You're on your own here.

lol  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:15 pm
when the hero is an idiot that has a backup character telling them what to do  

awsom_12345

Maze353

Questionable Tactician

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:40 pm
Iconoclast Enthusiast
What ruins a good fantasy story? A bad TV series *coughlegendoftheseekercough*.

Tell me about it. They messed that story line up so bad.

Also, I have gotten sick of the characters who spend chapter after chapter whining "why me?" Yes, you have been chosen to save the world, stop the bad guy, etc. Shut up and do it.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:54 am
I agree with most of what ppl have said in here, bad plots etc etc...
but i gotta say... reading all the stuff you guys have said in here made me laugh so hard i started to cry.
And now my stomach hurt rofl
Keep it up i love reading posts blaugh  

Pink Lady Froggy

Fantasy Books Guild

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 8 9 10 11

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out