Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Mentor Threads [Dedicated Mentoring here!]
Errol McGillivray (illust. & visual storytelling) - [hiatus] Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

La Pinkachu

Romantic Lover

9,950 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Beta Critic 0
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:32 am
Link because original streached page.

I have been working on skeletons before I made this and used one for it. I am still having trouble with the shaping of of the arms and legs, and I just fail at hands. DX The actual picture will have two people in it, I wanted to get cirque on this one first so I can see if I can fix the original copy. Btw the girl has her hand on the window.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:24 pm
Thanks for the hand thing. smile I've been thinking of doing dynamic poses with a grand perspective. Do you have any tips for doing so?  

iJigyakuteki_Cookie

4,500 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100

Errol McGillivray
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:37 pm
neko_ruby
Thanks for the hand thing. smile I've been thinking of doing dynamic poses with a grand perspective. Do you have any tips for doing so?
Post some attempts and I'll let you know. I have to see what you can do first.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:39 pm
i-x-Pika-x-

I have been working on skeletons before I made this and used one for it. I am still having trouble with the shaping of of the arms and legs, and I just fail at hands. DX The actual picture will have two people in it, I wanted to get cirque on this one first so I can see if I can fix the original copy. Btw the girl has her hand on the window.
Sorry for the wait. They've been working me like an old horse at the office.

Anyways, how do you usually sit when you draw? You've got this lean going on that tells me you probably could stand to have better posture while you draw and keep the page straight in front of you. (No tilting the page.)

Can I see some of the skeletons rather than the girl herself?  

Errol McGillivray
Captain

.[ Cheesecube ].

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:11 pm
This was a poor scan, but I thought I would ask what you thought of it:
User Image

I was practicing with faces and trying to distinguish between features and such.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:27 pm
I also was wondering if you could take a look at this:
http://Cheesecube.deviantart.com/art/O-is-for-the-only-one-130107252

Whenever people are looking through my sketchbook, they seem to misinterpret this one; which is okay as long as they interpret it, but there's also a lot of people who just say, "I don't get it." So, what do you see? What does it mean to you? Do you think it conveys a clear message, if not what would make it more clear?

All other crit you have is of course, welcome and encouraged as well. :3  

.[ Cheesecube ].

La Pinkachu

Romantic Lover

9,950 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Beta Critic 0
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:19 am
Errol McGillivray
i-x-Pika-x-

Sorry for the wait. They've been working me like an old horse at the office.

Anyways, how do you usually sit when you draw? You've got this lean going on that tells me you probably could stand to have better posture while you draw and keep the page straight in front of you. (No tilting the page.)

Can I see some of the skeletons rather than the girl herself?

Normally I lay on my tummy or sit at my desk. I will be happy to show skeletons when my scanner is hooked up again n_n  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:13 pm
.[ Cheesecube ].
This was a poor scan, but I thought I would ask what you thought of it:
User Image

I was practicing with faces and trying to distinguish between features and such.
It's skillfully done, but at the same time, it looks less like a unique person than slightly disfigured. Try to keep things in proportion as you vary the features. Like change the fullness of the lips, but keep the general width of the mouth in proportion with the rest of the face.

Your use of tone for the planes of the face are clean and distinct, but way too distinct. Chiselled features and very wide mouths are oftne traits that men have and giving them to her without consideration for how the female skull, muscle density, and fat deposits differ from a man's looks a bit off.

Aside from a bit of awkwardness, it looks really wonderful.  

Errol McGillivray
Captain

Errol McGillivray
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:14 pm
Well, I started a stream where I critique live.
Cause I'm lazy.

If you need me when I'm home, let me know and we can try it that way.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:47 am
Update to my mentees and anyone that needs it:

I am available for live critiques. Just let me know if you don't mind it to be public or if you prefer private and let me know when you have time. We'll schedule something.  

Errol McGillivray
Captain

Errol McGillivray
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:17 pm
I'm clearing my list as no mentee has posted since July.

If you want to come back and there's a space, you're welcome back.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:21 pm
>< I'd want you but I already have a mentor xD I was actually waiting for you to open!!!  

Rags of Ash

Errol McGillivray
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:25 pm
Slow As Christmas
>< I'd want you but I already have a mentor xD I was actually waiting for you to open!!!
You don't have to be my dedicated mentee to run stuff by me and ask questions. I'm here for everyone. It's just that they get first dibs on my attention. And since the list is empty, you got it. xd

if you have msn... elvenboyslut@hotmail.com  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:52 pm
Hohoho! I want to be one definitely if you have room. Mainly, I want to work on expressing emotion with characters and not draw pretty people. I want work more expressively, and with looser interpretations, I'm too realistic.  

praeclaris

Errol McGillivray
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:49 pm
There's nothing wrong with realistic. You can exaggerate that as well to get what you want. I see what you mean though.

Your realistic work, no matter how realistic can be expressive using body language and slightly exaggerating them. The further you move from realistic rendering, the more leeway you have for more extreme exaggeration.

I'd like to see where you're at with a little test that won't take very long.

There's a long sofa with 2 guys and 2 girls sitting on it during a frat party.

Sally seems to have attracted the attention of a very confident jock, who is chatting her up. She's not interested in his bragging, but she doesn't want to be rude or hurt his feelings.

The ever self conscious, Poindexter is sitting on the same sofa. Sally's best friend with the nerd fetish wants him BAD, but he is too nervous being around all these people to notice. All he can think is that he should have told Tod to go to hell and .. where the hell is Tod anyway?

You're looking at this from across the room. Here's the catch though. You're wearing inexplicable x-ray goggles, all you see are their skeletons. No meat. No clothes. And most importantly, no faces. (You see the couch though, for some reason.)

The rules you must stick to are:

-flat, frontal view. (No dynamic angles or anything.)
-don't exaggerate facial expression into the skulls
-You can paint it or work with lines. Whichever floats your boat, but for the sake of time, keep the skeletons really simple.
-they can be holding props.

The point:
To use gesture, non-verbal communication, and staging to describe the relationships between the characters, as well as tell the complete story about who they are, what they want, and how they try to get it, in a single, simple image.  
Mentor Threads [Dedicated Mentoring here!]

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff