Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian British Guild

Back to Guilds

A haven for British Gaians, and those sympathetic to their peculiar ways! 

Tags: britain, british, United Kingdom, english, england 

Reply Gaian British Guild
Great British Television! Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 19 20 21 22 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Boolean Julian
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:45 pm
Foetus In Fetu
Check out this badass ******** piece of coursework:

The Language of Comedy: an Analysis of the Way Language is Used to Humorous Effect in ‘The Office’ with Specific Focus on Episode One of Series Two
In contrast to Brent, whom the audience laughs at, jokes made by another character, Tim, are often considered funny in their own right. The main reason that Tim is often the only character who can execute a joke that is humorous within the context of the show is that the audience’s identification with his situation and his own resigned attitude towards his life makes him an inherently sympathetic character. This underlines the social aspect of humour: a person is more likely to laugh at a joke if it is being told by somebody they like or respect. Although Tim makes quite adept use of comic timing, irony and wit to construct his jokes, the audience would be less inclined to consider them funny even if executed properly by a less sympathetic character like Brent or Gareth.

This is characterised within the episode by the contrast between the expected response from the audience when similar instances happen to Tim and to Gareth. During the opening sequence when Gareth, Brent and a third, unnamed employee interrupt Tim at his work, they are the butt of the joke – because the audience identifies with Tim, this is interpreted as Gareth and Brent “making fools of themselves”. In contrast, when Tim and Dawn later interrupt Gareth at his work he is again the butt, because the audience sympathises with Tim and Dawn’s “need” to mock a colleague they find insufferable.

It goes on like that for like 3818 words.

What subject was it for? eek  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:53 am
English Language.

Nick away; it's not like any of it's untrue.  

Foetus In Fetu
Vice Captain

Boolean Julian
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:34 am
Ah, right, just interested.

What does English Language A level actually involve? Not many schools seem to offer it.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:39 am
Study of the way the language evolved, study of language acquisition, study of pragmatics, semantics, grammar and lexis. All that good stuff.  

Foetus In Fetu
Vice Captain

Boolean Julian
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:53 am
So it's essentially pre-linguistics plus some extra stuff? I wasn't really sure if it was that or if it was a creative writing type thing.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:17 pm
Creative writing's also involved.  

Foetus In Fetu
Vice Captain

Boolean Julian
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:51 pm
Kind of a combination of use and analysis of language then, I guess.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 4:30 pm
As the name would imply.  

Foetus In Fetu
Vice Captain

Boolean Julian
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 4:49 pm
The name English Language does not to me imply all fields relating to the English language are incorporated in the course.

Would it be reasonable to say that it's quite a portfolio-like A level? Similar to Geography, it covers a lot of quite different areas which may be based on different fundamental questions, but with similar methods applied to everything?  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:47 pm
No, not really. neutral  

Foetus In Fetu
Vice Captain

Boolean Julian
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:27 pm
Oh, okay then.
I bet it is, you're just compulsively lying.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:49 pm
For current Great British Television (and, naturally, excepting Doctor Who, possessing its own thread as it does), I have to point the finger unwaveringly at "Life on Mars".

Seriously, any time-travelling "is-he-in-a-coma" detective show with quotes such as:
"Drop your weapons - you are surrounded by armed bastards!"

and

"I can just about put up with your stupidity and bigotry, Gene Hunt, but STAY OUT OF CAMBERWICK GREEN!"

... definitely counts as top-notch telly.

Superb shows from the past:
"Drop the Dead Donkey"

and the greatest British cartoon, "Dangermouse"  

[Finrod]

Foetus In Fetu
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:11 am
Best moment ever, when they were snooping around and a police car drove past.

"Get down, it's the law!"

And they all hide. And then,

"We are the law."

Classic-tastic.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:41 am
dreaming_mouse
xXx White Lily xXx
I have to write about The Office for my media exam
I'm not gonna nick anything from that post.. honest... ninja
Wasn't there a Media Studies exam last summer that had to write about Lazy Town?
I'm not sure.. a couple of my friends would have loved that though lol

As for Life On Mars, I've only recently started watching it but I love it.. bit late to be getting into it I know sweatdrop I might try and get the first series on DVD

xXx White Lily xXx

Panthino the Moth

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:28 am
Foetus In Fetu
Best moment ever, when they were snooping around and a police car drove past.

"Get down, it's the law!"

And they all hide. And then,

"We are the law."

Classic-tastic.

Aww. That sort of makes me wish I'd watched it.

I'll have to acquire (steal) the DVDs from my friend.  
Gaian British Guild

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 19 20 21 22 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff