Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Official Warhammer 40,000 and Tabletop Gaming Guild

Back to Guilds

The Official Gaian Home of Tabletop Gaming 

Tags: Games Workshop, Tabletop, Warhammer, Gaming, Wargaming 

Reply Age of Sigmar Discussion
The Vampire Counts Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 18 19 20 21 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Daemon_King

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:50 pm
EliotJamesRookwood
Daemon_King
Micks 109
does anyone have any good tactics for fighting a TK army with a VC armyas iwas just kick in by my mate the force i was using was

vampire count, level 2, add hand weapon, von carstein ring 346

vampire thrall, add hand weapon, heavy armour, wolf form, ring of the night 138

necro, level 2, power familer 150

necro, level 2, obsidan amulet 145

skeletons 29, light armour, full command 315

skeletons 19, light armour, full command 215

dire wolves 9 60

ghouls 10 80

spirt host 3 195

grave guard 15, sheilds, full command, magic banner war banner 250

fell bats 5 100

total 1994

my plan was to have the count in the big unit of skeletons the thall in the small unit have the necros at the back and advance towards the TK, i have a good idea of what when worngi was out memovered as i keep my units to close togther.
any advice would most welcome

Use a Vampire Lord, they're better than counts, and give him the wolf form so you can stick him with the Dire Wolves for a start.

No... Dire wolves are weak, T 3. The movement 9 is great, but Strength 3 arrows will tear them apart quickly. A Vampire Lord is stronger yes, but you want to outmagic them, and you need more characters. That unit is too vulnerable, and the VC Lord will be left by himself, if he's stuck in combat, thats a major problem, as Combat resolution will kill him.

Well, actually it depends on how you use that tactic. The 9" movement is great yes, but add your general in the unit they get a 18" charge. Also, if you have your Vampire Lord equiped correctly combat would just be a mess for your opponent. And who cares if you loss some of wolves they're meat shields. Also, I believe that Dire wolves can have a +1 to there strength on a charge.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:49 pm
Aye, Dire Wolves benefit from the "Slavering Charge" rule.  

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

Daicon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:36 pm
No, trust Rookwood and myself, Dire Wolves really are weak. They are consistently shredded by any type of ranged fire power, as most players will realise those wolves are a decent threat to their flanks, and will quite eagerly pump a round or more of shooting into them.

With that in mind, if you place a Vampire Lord, of all the characters to choose from, with the wolves, expect him to be a lone target for mages to toss their magic missiles at soon enough.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:52 pm
Daemon_King
EliotJamesRookwood
Daemon_King
Micks 109
does anyone have any good tactics for fighting a TK army with a VC armyas iwas just kick in by my mate the force i was using was

dire wolves 9 60

ghouls 10 80

spirt host 3 195

fell bats 5 100

total 1994

my plan was to have the count in the big unit of skeletons the thall in the small unit have the necros at the back and advance towards the TK, i have a good idea of what when worngi was out memovered as i keep my units to close togther.

Use a Vampire Lord, they're better than counts, and give him the wolf form so you can stick him with the Dire Wolves for a start.

No... Dire wolves are weak, T 3. The movement 9 is great, but Strength 3 arrows will tear them apart quickly. A Vampire Lord is stronger yes, but you want to outmagic them, and you need more characters. That unit is too vulnerable, and the VC Lord will be left by himself, if he's stuck in combat, thats a major problem, as Combat resolution will kill him.

Well, actually it depends on how you use that tactic. The 9" movement is great yes, but add your general in the unit they get a 18" charge. Also, if you have your Vampire Lord equiped correctly combat would just be a mess for your opponent. And who cares if you loss some of wolves they're meat shields. Also, I believe that Dire wolves can have a +1 to there strength on a charge.

Now, I know +1 Strength seems great, but it makes them S 4, for a single round. Try charging that unit against standard dwarf warriors with shields and heavy armour. They'll outnumber you obviously, and they cost less. You'll be hitting on 4's wounding on 4's. If your facing dwarves, that unit isn't likely to make it. If one rock from a grudgethrower hits that unit, its gone, and since they do D6 wounds, your general is in danger too. That 18'' movement is lovely, if you don't have shooters who have over triple that range firing at you.  

EliotJamesRookwood

Micks 109

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:34 am
Thanks for the advice EliotJamesRookwood, I try what you said and see how thats works out next time, i also let him flank me as well which did'ent help matters  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:32 pm
EliotJamesRookwood
Daemon_King
EliotJamesRookwood
Daemon_King
Micks 109

dire wolves 9 60

ghouls 10 80

spirt host 3 195

fell bats 5 100

total 1994

Now, I know +1 Strength seems great, but it makes them S 4, for a single round. Try charging that unit against standard dwarf warriors with shields and heavy armour. They'll outnumber you obviously, and they cost less. You'll be hitting on 4's wounding on 4's. If your facing dwarves, that unit isn't likely to make it. If one rock from a grudgethrower hits that unit, its gone, and since they do D6 wounds, your general is in danger too. That 18'' movement is lovely, if you don't have shooters who have over triple that range firing at you.

Who said about facing Dwarfs? I understand about the shooting, but sometimes shooting can turn out to real duds sometimes. Also, it depends on what you attack. Lets go with this scenerio, combat against Chaos Marauders, and you happen to get the charge you'll pretty much rip them like wet tissue paper. It's a similar Archaon tactic by sticking him with a unit of Warhounds. I mean, I'm not say to always do that. I know that's a horrid tactic to use against a shooty army. Though, against a more close combat base army, and use correctly it can do some damage.  

Daemon_King

EliotJamesRookwood

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:57 pm
Daemon_King
EliotJamesRookwood
Daemon_King
EliotJamesRookwood
Daemon_King
Micks 109

dire wolves 9 60

ghouls 10 80

spirt host 3 195

fell bats 5 100

total 1994

Who said about facing Dwarfs? I understand about the shooting, but sometimes shooting can turn out to real duds sometimes. Also, it depends on what you attack. Lets go with this scenerio, combat against Chaos Marauders, and you happen to get the charge you'll pretty much rip them like wet tissue paper. It's a similar Archaon tactic by sticking him with a unit of Warhounds. I mean, I'm not say to always do that. I know that's a horrid tactic to use against a shooty army. Though, against a more close combat base army, and use correctly it can do some damage.

Against a combat based army... so that would be something along the lines of Saurus lizardmen, Orcs, Dwarves, Chaos... if you can get a flank, its a fine and dandy tactic, your general can help out some troops fighting in the front, while a unit of infantry ties up in the front. Simply and lovely. Attack a unit directly and your gone, no question. My main point is, if you want a generally all-rounded general that isn't the best option, which you can't really argue with, because its true.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:01 pm
Micks 109
Thanks for the advice EliotJamesRookwood, I try what you said and see how thats works out next time, i also let him flank me as well which did'ent help matters

No problem, remember VC are much better than TK when it comes to magic, use that to your advantage, and crush your opponent. twisted  

EliotJamesRookwood

nadescaflowne

Aged Lunatic

3,875 Points
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Nerd 50
  • Waffles! 25
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:50 am
Don't know if this is old news but I have it on good authority that there is a new Nagash model in the works being sculpted by the same guy who did the last one but under strict instructions to make him something other than the big bad clown...
That is not to say Nagash will be a new character, it may be like the Felix and Gotrek ones. either way, new Nagash  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:44 pm
I wish they brought him back. He could kill everyone.  

EliotJamesRookwood

nadescaflowne

Aged Lunatic

3,875 Points
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Nerd 50
  • Waffles! 25
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:53 am
That's what makes me think he wont be a character, if Nagash were to return he would befar more powerful than the rest of the chacters...
They could use the fact that he still has lost his claw and crown and whatever to make him less powerful than what he should be though I guess ;>.>  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:11 am
No, they should make him like Lord Croak, too ridiculously expensive to actually play. xd  

EliotJamesRookwood

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:24 am
Methinks it's just a special model, as he went toe to toe with Sigmar and almost got away with it, so too powerful might be the general idea.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:01 pm
Hmmmmm, guess what new units that VC are going to get when they get their update. Whoever names the most idiotic one can dance in the street with cheese.  

EliotJamesRookwood

Drachyench

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:36 am
EliotJamesRookwood
Hmmmmm, guess what new units that VC are going to get when they get their update. Whoever names the most idiotic one can dance in the street with cheese.

Liches again?

Necromancers with Combat Abilities again?

Werewolves?

Dregs?  
Age of Sigmar Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 18 19 20 21 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas