Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian British Guild

Back to Guilds

A haven for British Gaians, and those sympathetic to their peculiar ways! 

Tags: britain, british, United Kingdom, english, england 

Reply The Politics Subforum, it was -almost- inevitable.
The Monarchy Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Emmanuela

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:46 am
Quote:
Invictus_88

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:24 am
Emmanuela Wrote:
Even my history teacher says that they'll be gone within twenty years...Hm, The Republic of Great Britain, perhaps?

They really are just pointless. My Grandma and her generation are all deeply patriotic, and that's ok I suppose, it's how they've been brought up, but nowadays, children are being brought up to think otherwise. They're not going to last long, Prince Charles might as well just abdicate and get rid of the throne. It's not as if they have any power anyway, I mean, officailly they can dismiss parliment, but they can't really, think of the up roar! Well, the governemt are fairly crap anyway, but that's beside the point.

They aren't pointless at all, their charity work alone attests to that. This is before you examine their essential role within the constitutional working of the political system here in the UK.

In any case, if it is not enough to keep them because the older generation like them, is it right to get rid of them because some of the younger generation don't?

Especially when generally speaking, the most informed like them, and the least informed dislike them.

Yeah, but you have to admit, they are fairly pointless. Ok, yeah, they do do alot for charity, the Prince's Trust and all, but honestly, at the end of the day, they aren't really doing that much. And I'm fairly informed about them, and I still dislike them, well not dislike them as such, just don't give a damn. Whether they stay or go, it doesn't bother me.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:27 am
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

But they do more than just charity work. They're an essential component within the UK Constitution, beyond that the Crown Estate is very profitable and provides a defence against unnecessary encroachment of urban sprawl into the countryside.

Essential component and profitable - not superfluous waste and extravagance.

Invictus_88
Captain

Emmanuela

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:11 pm
Fine, you win! I suppose they are part of the British heratige, too.. But, meh!  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:57 pm
Invictus_88
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

But they do more than just charity work. They're an essential component within the UK Constitution, beyond that the Crown Estate is very profitable and provides a defence against unnecessary encroachment of urban sprawl into the countryside.

Essential component and profitable - not superfluous waste and extravagance.
Here here!  

Mr. Bono Vox

Invictus_88
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:02 am
Hurrah!

Thanks for standing your ground though, it is admirable. Many outside of this guild would just conveniently forget about a thread when they meet with a bit of resistance.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:39 am
Quote:
Invictus_88

Hurrah!

Thanks for standing your ground though, it is admirable. Many outside of this guild would just conveniently forget about a thread when they meet with a bit of resistance.
Quote:

Hehe, I'm sure! I like to have a bit of a debate some times, it's great fun! And yes, you have convinced me otherwise, be proud of yourself!

Emmanuela

Emmanuela

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:41 am
Please forgive my awful quotations, my laptop is dying! I think I've corrected it...

Quote:
Emmanuela

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:39 am
Quote:
Invictus_88

Hurrah!

Hehe, I'm sure! I like to have a bit of a debate some times, it's great fun! And yes, you have convinced me otherwise, be proud of yourself!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:05 pm
Emmanuela
my laptop is dying!

The screen fell off mine just yesterday.

pwned.

and_solo_said

Emmanuela

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:14 pm
Quote:
and_solo_said

Emmanuela Wrote:
my laptop is dying!

pwned.

Aw, that's awful! If mine did that, I'd go completely insane! My laptop is new, so if it breaks I'm probably going to have to pay for it>.<  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:20 am
Emmanuela
Quote:
and_solo_said

Emmanuela Wrote:
my laptop is dying!

pwned.

Aw, that's awful! If mine did that, I'd go completely insane! My laptop is new, so if it breaks I'm probably going to have to pay for it>.<

Its not so bad, i'd had it for a few years and now my parents are getting me a new one to keep me from monopolising the family computer! biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin  

and_solo_said

Emmanuela

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:40 am
Quote:
and_solo_said

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:20 am
Emmanuela Wrote:
Quote:
and_solo_said

Emmanuela Wrote:
my laptop is dying!

pwned.

Its not so bad, i'd had it for a few years and now my parents are getting me a new one to keep me from monopolising the family computer! icon_biggrin.gif icon_biggrin.gif icon_biggrin.gif icon_biggrin.gif

I got my laptop because I spent so much time on my mum's computer, she thought she should get me one^^ My sister stepped on her screen a while back, silly girl! Though, I have to admit, it was very funny!  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:46 pm
Yay! The Queen! Yay!  

Bronze Griffin

Invictus_88
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:47 am
Some disreputable-looking Northern paper..
£37.4m this year.

How much does the monarchy pay us?
£93.2million per year. Not inclusive of tourism or personal taxation.

Latter figures are not current but actually 04-05. The cost:gain ratio is nonetheless becoming increasingly beneficial.

Which is more than can be said for the cost of Cherie's bloody hair.

stare  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:54 am
Invi, would there be any difference if we replace the Royal Family with Jane Goody, from a financial perspective?  

An Elegant Iguana

Invictus_88
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:42 am
Zarathushtra
Invi, would there be any difference if we replace the Royal Family with Jane Goody, from a financial perspective?

Ignoring mass emigration through a sense of national shame..

..I doubt Jade Goody would be any good at helping charitable groups or providing a guiding direction for the managers of the Crown Estate as regards sustainable ecology and sustainable long-term profit.

That and the silly bint would sell it all off to property-developers and use the proceeds to buy a Caribbean island that would be subsequently wrapped in snakeskin and peppered with rhinestones.

The Politics Subforum, it was -almost- inevitable.

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games