Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Otherkin Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Pelta

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:40 pm
TeaDidikai
Here we go. Keep in mind that this is the short test and is not as accurate as the longer version you have to pay for.

Save yourself some money and buy the paper version. That way when other people want to take it they won't have to shell out the ten dollars.

To be honest, I think what you spoke of is the natural order for most people who claim to be otherkin. I just think most of them are not healthy enough to understand that, so they buy into a popular delusion that makes them not human.

I know of a lot of people who have come to the same understanding and actually become the kinds of people they want to be by working towards the goal over working within the illusion.

I've also seen this create resentment between the otherkin and the individual leaving the paradigm. The initial reaction from these otherkin is that the person was a traitor, a turn coat, or a liar. The individual cases are complex, but 24/7 exposure to these individuals tips the kind of clues that a high school psych student can pick up on.

Thanks for the link! I think I may invest in the paper version eventually... if i ever get out of the house. Bedridden with illness at the moment you see.
Yeah I consider my otherkin time as a bit of a "phase" in my development. I won't say I regretted it - it made me realise a lot of really important things about myself. I wouldn't go back to it though. I've progressed quite a bit since then. I do hope it won't create too much of a rift between my otherkin friends and myself. Tbh, I haven't seen them in months or told them my change of heart. I don't much mind though. What's more important is that I learned quite a lot from the experience.
Anyway, I'm gonna go try out the enneagram now...  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:53 pm
Oh dear. My results on the ten minute enneagram test say I'm a tie between Type 2, Type 4, Type 5, Type 6, Type 7 and Type 9. Erm. Maybe I should invest in purchasing the real thing...  

Pelta

Lotus Poem

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:03 pm
I got a 2 on one test and a 4 on another...on the one I got a 2 my bottom number was 4 but on the one I got a 4 on 2 was in the top 3 so I don't know I think I need the full test. ...

I also found a site 9types or something like that explained the differences between the types and how each one could be healthy or unhealthy and I liked that a lot. That was the site I got a 4 on but it said that 4 was a romantic, someone who felt different and either examined themselves or indulged in fantasies to feel better. The other site had 4 being all about hiding painful feelings.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:40 pm
i think i still have my stuff about that at home. i'll post more on it later, as i can't remember much. i have a small book and notes on it.  

saint dreya
Crew

8,750 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100

Eshmasesh

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:03 pm
Took the ten minute, it perfectly reflects my personality. Like all other credible ones I've taken.

Type 2 followed closely by Type 5. "The Helper" with a close second of "The Investigator". ^^

EDIT: ...I shouldn't have bumped this up, god I'm stupid gonk  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:18 pm
I have yet to meet in person an Otherkin that wasn't a 4, or had a strong 4 wing/line.  

TeaDidikai

VisasMarr

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:22 pm
Eshmasesh
Took the ten minute, it perfectly reflects my personality. Like all other credible ones I've taken.

Type 2 followed closely by Type 5. "The Helper" with a close second of "The Investigator". ^^

EDIT: ...I shouldn't have bumped this up, god I'm stupid gonk

That's ok. I'll add mine...

I got Type 5: The Investigator. Tied with Type 7: The Enthusiast. Followed closly by a tie of Type 4 and Type 2.

I am not sure how accurate mine is... I think it would change depending on my mood at the time.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:04 pm
Types 3 and 4 tied at first (6 points)
Type 1, 2, 5,6 and 9 tied for second (4 points)
Type 7 (3 points) was third
Type 8 (1 point) was last.

I'm not sure what to make of that mess.  

Kuroiban

Dapper Explorer

2,450 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Statustician 100
  • Member 100

Ezinu

Unbeatable Hoarder

4,850 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Member 100
  • Trader 100
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:55 pm
i got 1 on one and a 5 on the othere they bolth are quite right i have many sides of myself.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:38 pm
Um.

I really hate to break this to you and all, but the belief that you can practice magic is every bit as ridiculous and illogical as the belief that you have the soul of an animal. I mean, from a psychological standpoint, your beliefs stem from your own issues, not reality. You know, that you enjoy feeling special or like thinking that you have control over your lives, or other people's lives.

Seriously. You guys are really not in a position to be criticizing that belief any more than a Christian is in a position to call pagan beliefs absurd, or vice versa.  

Triste-chan

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:28 pm
Triste-chan
Um.

I really hate to break this to you and all, but the belief that you can practice magic is every bit as ridiculous and illogical as the belief that you have the soul of an animal.

I’d disagree.

People can chart and measure to different degrees the effectiveness of “magic” and psi-phenomena.

The Star Gate program brought results. Science continues to attempt to explain psi-phenomena.

Quote:
I mean, from a psychological standpoint, your beliefs stem from your own issues, not reality. You know, that you enjoy feeling special or like thinking that you have control over your lives, or other people's lives.
Not all of psychology would agree with that assertion.

I also contest this on the grounds that not everyone feels like they are "special", nor does everyone assert that they have control.

Quote:
Seriously. You guys are really not in a position to be criticizing that belief any more than a Christian is in a position to call pagan beliefs absurd, or vice versa.
This is where we get into the logic of it.

Argument from Ignorance and all that.

Problem. I don't contest the base nature of what people feel, I contest the way they expand upon that feeling.

I contest the idea of “Animal Soul Trapped in a Human Body” for a number of reasons.

First is the assertion that souls are other than the self. Whatever someone may have had past experiences with- by virtue of being in a human shaped body now, they are now a human shaped soul.

Second, there is a difference between being something and having an affinity for said something. Because of the psychology involved, people who need to feel unique often confuse affinity for state of being. Not just with animals, but with magic as well. There are people who believe being a Witch is to be a Supernatural Being- that is to say- something other than human. This belief is unfounded due to the fact that magic can be taught.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:00 pm
TeaDidikai
Triste-chan
Um.

I really hate to break this to you and all, but the belief that you can practice magic is every bit as ridiculous and illogical as the belief that you have the soul of an animal.

I’d disagree.

People can chart and measure to different degrees the effectiveness of “magic” and psi-phenomena.

The Star Gate program brought results. Science continues to attempt to explain psi-phenomena.

The science supporting magic is fuzzy at best. Lack of scientific explanation for a phenomena does not mean that it's caused by psychic powers. Furthermore, whether or not you can prove magical phenomena to be magical, you certainly can't prove that there's any such thing as a god or a goddess.

Quote:
Quote:
I mean, from a psychological standpoint, your beliefs stem from your own issues, not reality. You know, that you enjoy feeling special or like thinking that you have control over your lives, or other people's lives.
Not all of psychology would agree with that assertion.

I also contest this on the grounds that not everyone feels like they are "special", nor does everyone assert that they have control.

I'm sure that otherkin would say that not all otherkin feel like they're "special" for being otherkin.

Quote:
Quote:
This is where we get into the logic of it.

Argument from Ignorance and all that.

Problem. I don't contest the base nature of what people feel, I contest the way they expand upon that feeling.

I contest the idea of “Animal Soul Trapped in a Human Body” for a number of reasons.

First is the assertion that souls are other than the self. Whatever someone may have had past experiences with- by virtue of being in a human shaped body now, they are now a human shaped soul.

You don't think that the soul is at all shaped by past experiences, though? I mean, I would say that much of the self is based on past experience, and to seperate 'current self' from 'past self' seems absurd.

Quote:
Second, there is a difference between being something and having an affinity for said something. Because of the psychology involved, people who need to feel unique often confuse affinity for state of being. Not just with animals, but with magic as well. There are people who believe being a Witch is to be a Supernatural Being- that is to say- something other than human. This belief is unfounded due to the fact that magic can be taught.

Admittedly so, though many people belief that they simply have more talent for magic than others, or that only certain people can be taught magic, much like only certain people can be taught to sing in an opera.  

Triste-chan

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:20 pm
Triste-chan
The science supporting magic is fuzzy at best. Lack of scientific explanation for a phenomena does not mean that it's caused by psychic powers. Furthermore, whether or not you can prove magical phenomena to be magical,
As it stands now- correct. But the nature of magic as useful is based on it's effectiveness.

Quote:
I'm sure that otherkin would say that not all otherkin feel like they're "special" for being otherkin.
What they say and what is true are two different things. That's the difference I see between an affinity and "OMG! I am a dragon from another universe who was banished here by an evil black mage dragon who wanted to control the world and now me and my fellow dragons are going to get back to our realm and save the universe!".

Quote:

You don't think that the soul is at all shaped by past experiences, though? I mean, I would say that much of the self is based on past experience, and to seperate 'current self' from 'past self' seems absurd.
Shaped as in influenced? Of course it influences the current standing. But it doesn't lock down the nature of the soul itself.

I am influenced by what happened when I was ten. That doesn't make me a ten year old.

Quote:

Admittedly so, though many people belief that they simply have more talent for magic than others, or that only certain people can be taught magic, much like only certain people can be taught to sing in an opera.
I support your analogy, but disagree with your conclusion. Anyone can be taught opera. Anyone can be taught magic. How talented they are and how well they can act upon their education is what makes them worth listening to or not.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:44 am
TeaDidikai
Triste-chan
The science supporting magic is fuzzy at best. Lack of scientific explanation for a phenomena does not mean that it's caused by psychic powers. Furthermore, whether or not you can prove magical phenomena to be magical,
As it stands now- correct. But the nature of magic as useful is based on it's effectiveness.

Sure, why not.

Quote:
Quote:
What they say and what is true are two different things. That's the difference I see between an affinity and "OMG! I am a dragon from another universe who was banished here by an evil black mage dragon who wanted to control the world and now me and my fellow dragons are going to get back to our realm and save the universe!".

I would say that's bordering on a straw man. I realize that there are many otherkin like that, but there are others who have far less... dramatic beliefs, and lumping them all in the same catgory is rather like lumping all Asatru with the Neo-Nazi groups.

Furthermore, I would ask you to prove that all Otherkin need to feel special any more tha your average person.

Quote:
Quote:

Shaped as in influenced? Of course it influences the current standing. But it doesn't lock down the nature of the soul itself.

I am influenced by what happened when I was ten. That doesn't make me a ten year old.

That's because the state of being a ten-year-old is a state that exists only in a certain place. Or time, in this case.

I guess it's kind of like what Reagun always says when people say, "It's okay that I worship The Morrigan, I'm Irish!" and of course they really have Irish ancestors and are now living in America. So no, they aren't Irish as far as the worship of Celtic deities is concerned, because that's more about being in a certain place (or I guess a culture - obviously reagun is the expert, but I vaguely recall him saying that someone who lived in Ireland and left or the child of someone like that could consider themselves properly Irish - please correct me if I'm wrong), but if you ask them about their ancestry, they may say, "I'm Irish." They live in America - that would be their nationality. But their ancestry is Irish, and that's in their blood. It has nothing to do with where they are. And you could say the same thing about any race - being of African descent doesn't change if you move to Australia.

And for a soul, perhaps, being of feline origin doesn't change when you move to Humanville.

Quote:
Quote:

I support your analogy, but disagree with your conclusion. Anyone can be taught opera. Anyone can be taught magic. How talented they are and how well they can act upon their education is what makes them worth listening to or not.

Weeell. Yes. In some cases. But there are many Opera parts that can't be taught to everyone - if you can't hit the notes, you can't hit the notes.  

Triste-chan

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:54 am
Triste-chan

I would say that's bordering on a straw man. I realize that there are many otherkin like that, but there are others who have far less... dramatic beliefs, and lumping them all in the same catgory is rather like lumping all Asatru with the Neo-Nazi groups.

Furthermore, I would ask you to prove that all Otherkin need to feel special any more tha your average person.

Not a straw man. More of a Hasty Generalization.

I suggest that the concept of Otherkin is a subsect of Mr. Dark. I've been kicking this around for a while. Why redefine yourself by a past experience that may or may not exist unless it is for the sake of stroking one's ego?

Quote:

That's because the state of being a ten-year-old is a state that exists only in a certain place. Or time, in this case.

I guess it's kind of like what Reagun always says when people say, "It's okay that I worship The Morrigan, I'm Irish!" and of course they really have Irish ancestors and are now living in America. So no, they aren't Irish as far as the worship of Celtic deities is concerned, because that's more about being in a certain place (or I guess a culture - obviously reagun is the expert, but I vaguely recall him saying that someone who lived in Ireland and left or the child of someone like that could consider themselves properly Irish - please correct me if I'm wrong), but if you ask them about their ancestry, they may say, "I'm Irish." They live in America - that would be their nationality. But their ancestry is Irish, and that's in their blood.
No... False Analogy. Ancestry is in the blood. Culture is in the social structure.

Quote:
And for a soul, perhaps, being of feline origin doesn't change when you move to Humanville.
And I would say it does, as you are now in Human Culture.

Quote:

Weeell. Yes. In some cases. But there are many Opera parts that can't be taught to everyone - if you can't hit the notes, you can't hit the notes.
Unless of course with practice and training you can hit the notes. mrgreen  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces