Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Official Warhammer 40,000 and Tabletop Gaming Guild

Back to Guilds

The Official Gaian Home of Tabletop Gaming 

Tags: Games Workshop, Tabletop, Warhammer, Gaming, Wargaming 

Reply General Discussion (Chatterbox)
The Black Library Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 106 107 108 109 110 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

notmuch_23

Lonely Conventioneer

17,525 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Marathon 300
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 6:11 pm
I'd like to know when Path of the Archon is supposed to release.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:58 am
Well, I just finished reading Battle for the Abyss, and I'm of slightly mixed minds, though more negative than positive. Spoiler-free thoughts...

My first impression on starting this book is that it read like a mediocre Star Trek fan-fic. Character development seemed pretty weak and along stereotypical lines, and descriptions of events took place more like he was transcribing something he was seeing on a movie screen.

It improved midstream, but also as the story progressed, it's clear that Ben Counter has a massive sado-masochistic streak. Never in any of the 40k (or any other genre for that matter) books that I've read have there been such graphic descriptions of gore, viscera, pain, and torture. Characters seemed abnormally disposable, though I suppose that added an element of realism where the mortality of individuals is concerned.

The most interesting positive side I noted was descriptions of the warp. It did provide some good writing on the workings and denizens of the Warp in a way I felt did it justice.  

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:05 am
DarkElf27
Well, I just finished reading Battle for the Abyss,
Never got that far myself, I found it an atrocious read. gonk  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:08 am
notmuch_23
I'd like to know when Path of the Archon is supposed to release.
From the BL site: "This book will be released in stores on Saturday March 29th. All pre-order copies will commence shipping in the week commencing March 24th."  

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:13 am
BrookM
DarkElf27
You're probably better off. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:16 am
DarkElf27
BrookM
DarkElf27
You're probably better off. sweatdrop
I'd like to think it was the right choice, but not to discourage you, but there's plenty of bad reads ahead of you, though YMMV.  

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

notmuch_23

Lonely Conventioneer

17,525 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Marathon 300
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:45 pm
BrookM
From the BL site: "This book will be released in stores on Saturday March 29th. All pre-order copies will commence shipping in the week commencing March 24th."

I didn't want to accept the "cookies" in case Games Workshop included a keystroke logger, and then sues me for expressing interest in scratchbuilding models instead of buying them.

But yeah, I'll see if I can find a copy...  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:46 am
notmuch_23
BrookM

I didn't want to accept the "cookies" in case Games Workshop included a keystroke logger, and then sues me for expressing interest in scratchbuilding models instead of buying them.

European sites are required by law to notify you of cookies, a lot of US sites do so as well. Sites that do not notify you of their use of cookies still use them though.  

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

Vikki Stardust

Sweet Vampire

14,875 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Hellraiser 500
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:54 am
BrookM
notmuch_23
BrookM

European sites are required by law to notify you of cookies, a lot of US sites do so as well. Sites that do not notify you of their use of cookies still use them though.
But what about the illuminati? ninja  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:02 am
Vikki Stardust
BrookM
notmuch_23
BrookM

I'm more worried about those pesky republicans than some non-existent organisation run by the shadow council. talk2hand  

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

Vikki Stardust

Sweet Vampire

14,875 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Hellraiser 500
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:47 am
BrookM
Vikki Stardust
BrookM
notmuch_23
BrookM

I'm more worried about those pesky republicans than some non-existent organisation run by the shadow council. talk2hand
Dunno, I think the Dutch may be a bigger threat.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:18 pm
For those who love Newcrons and Blood Angels, there is a novel and 3 (I think) novellas coming out featuring them. It features more Cron and Blood Angel brofisting against Tyranids, in the Cryptus system.  

Jason Kharo

5,500 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Signature Look 250

Vikki Stardust

Sweet Vampire

14,875 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Hellraiser 500
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:54 am
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Why are they writing more Inquisitor novels now? Why not back when it was relevant? Feeling really, really old now all of the sudden.. emotion_facepalm  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:49 am
Book art brings back memories. 4laugh

Asmondai
Crew

Aged Gaian

3,625 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Vikki Stardust

Sweet Vampire

14,875 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Hellraiser 500
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:29 am
There need to be more novels with grumpy servo skulls in them.

General Discussion (Chatterbox)

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 106 107 108 109 110 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff