Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian British Guild

Back to Guilds

A haven for British Gaians, and those sympathetic to their peculiar ways! 

Tags: britain, british, United Kingdom, english, england 

Reply Gaian British Guild
The topic which rapidly degenerated... [MISC] Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Foetus In Fetu
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:49 am
Ouch, rejected.

"This sounds like one of the 100s of e-mails I get a year from broadcast journalism students..."

Excuse me. I said I was writing an article.

Probably should have asked what it was in my writing style that tipped him off I was a student -- except I know it was that I used my university e-mail, and besides you're not supposed to lie about stuff like that (ethics is a harsh mistress).

This is the exact opposite of the way I felt when I bagged that interview with the consultant about that MRSA study.

Where are the skittles?  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:59 am
You want something that no one seems to be touching? The the STFC [Science and Technology Facilities Council] has utterly cocked up in the first financial year since the merger of the CLCRC and PPARC, leaving UK particle physics and astrophysics with a £80m hole in the budget.

Of course, actually saying that the STFC has ******** up is bad politically, but they have apparently go the budget wrong and the UK has dropped funding for some international projects.

Well, I lie. The Gaurdain reported on it on its website and podcast [including asking Sir David King about his opinion about the missing £80m that is going to put a number of postdocs out of a job in a few months].

This is independent of the first mess up, but the US Congress has passed the 2008 budget with wonderful cuts in the science budget this week. Two R&D projects now have no money [one had has its budget for 2008 financial year cut to 25% of the 2007 amount; they had already been budgeting under the impression that they were going to get the same level of funding and the financial year is 3 months old] and the DoE is not allowed to spend the agreed $180m on ITER [that's the international fusion project]. This comes out just at the wonderful energy bill [yes, cancel research funding into a new energy source for the year] is signed into effect.  

A Lost Iguana

Aged Pants

9,100 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Foetus In Fetu
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:43 am
Interesting.

There's easily a feature in there somewhere.

Thankyou. heart  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:29 am
FIRST POST OF THE NEW YEAR.

Spider-Man made a deal with the devil.

For great justice.  

Foetus In Fetu
Vice Captain

Foetus In Fetu
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:20 pm
Quote:
I personally don't like having a lot of female friends because, as a lot of people have mentioned, they are very catty and a vast majority of women out there these days are drama queens who blow up the smallest things. This often makes for hard conversation because they will nitpick, or criticize others for some rather silly things.

This?

Bullshit.

I'm sick of this from self-proclaimed girl geeks. There's this idea that "I" (and by "I", I'm talking about the people who spout this crap) am some how set apart: I am not like those other women; I am not like the "vast majority" of women, who are vapid, shallow drama queens. I am nuanced and intelligent like a guy.

No.

Girls as a group are not harder to get on with than guys. We, and I say "we" because I consider myself to be both intelligent and a part of that group, are not shallower, stupider or less funny. We are not more 'dramatic' -- although, of course, that word is only ever used in the context of what is considered to be feminine drama: punch-ups are never called 'drama'.

You know what? It's bad enough when men say things like that. I really don't need to hear women bad-mouthing their own sex too.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:48 pm
...Wow, I have a lot of guy friends because in general, not a lot of my female friends share the same interests as me. But I have a lot of female friends because not all the guy friends share all the same interests as me either. To try and separate people like that is...that's ridiculous.  

Angilwingz

Boolean Julian
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:16 pm
I have lots of friends because I'm a tosser and so is everyone else.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:05 pm
Boolean Julian
I have lots of friends because I'm a tosser and so is everyone else.

Thank goodness I'm not your friend then.  

Nebelstern
Crew

Foetus In Fetu
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:37 pm
http://www.pixielate.com/

Awesome, awesome site run by one of my friends.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:13 pm
In case anyone lives near enough Cambridge to see a play, you should come and see the one I'm in! After six delightful audition rejections, I got my seventh, and thus am in:

Murder in the Cathedral
by T.S. Eliot
To be performed in Jesus Chapel, the oldest and most magical of the college chapels...
Wednesday 27th - Saturday 1st March, 7.30 pm on the Wednesday, 8.00 pm thereafter. And as it's a student production on less than a shoestring, tickets are cheap.

It's dark, exciting, violent and more than a bit disturbed. I get to shout, screech and writhe. Oh yes.

Sorry for the shameless self-promotion. sweatdrop
Wish me luck for the auditions for the Midsummer Night's Dream tour of Japan... I want a part in that thing SO MUCH.  

Heterodyne

Foetus In Fetu
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:51 pm
So, I'm thinking of applying for this web design job in my area. I don't have any experience, but I do have the skills they're looking for.

Sort of nervous, though.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:04 am
Has this suddenly become self-promotion central?

If so then here's my first ever paper [I should point out that there is a standard authors list for the collaboration, but I've not been on service work long enough to make that list, I'm on the paper because I actually did some of the damn work].

It's only taken a year to get it through peer-review. ~_~  

A Confused Iguana

hilizzy265

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:08 pm
A Confused Iguana
Has this suddenly become self-promotion central?

If so then here's my first ever paper [I should point out that there is a standard authors list for the collaboration, but I've not been on service work long enough to make that list, I'm on the paper because I actually did some of the damn work].

It's only taken a year to get it through peer-review. ~_~

I can't view it. It looks like it wants me to sign in buy it.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:12 pm
hilizzy265
You can't. The journal has restricted access. I just showed the abstract.

If you really really want to read it, here is a free pre-print: http://arxiv.org/abs/0710.4112 (exact same paper)  

A Confused Iguana

hilizzy265

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:38 pm
A Confused Iguana
hilizzy265
You can't. The journal has restricted access. I just showed the abstract.

If you really really want to read it, here is a free pre-print: http://arxiv.org/abs/0710.4112 (exact same paper)

Well, I don't understand it sweatdrop obviously. But, good work!

Foetus: did you apply?  
Gaian British Guild

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces