Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply PFRC Mentoring Program
Nuri's Q&A topic Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

maenad nuri
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:33 pm
Artistic Genocide
Hullo Nuri and all!~

I'm not to sure what to say, really... I've been studying paganism for seven to eight years, and i've been a practicing witch for a little bit longer then that. But i recently stumbled, (more like pushed. -_-') onto this path, and i've been interested ever since. Even before i found this path, i was connected to the Greek gods and i adore the Myths and lengends surrounding them. I've been studying Hellenismos for only a little while, so i'm still very new. sweatdrop

Welcome in! We're good folk here. Just don't mind Tim Alexander and his wanting to usurp Hellenismos and narrow it to just what he wants..

Quote:

I have a few questions, if you don't mind me asking.

1) If you have a MAtron/Patron, would they take precedence(sp?) over the other gods? I'm not saying ignore the others, of course.

Yeah, kinda. I have almost no dealings with Athena or Ares(for example), outside of due piety. I'll do an offering to Dionysos before extra for them.
Quote:

2) is it okay if you feel you have more of a relationship with some of the gods over others? Like, i seem to be developing a relationship with Artemis, Hermes, and Pan. Is this normal?

Oh yeah. Totally normal. The gods are individuals, and form individual relationships  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:36 pm
a n n i v i
I must say that that helps a lot. I was just wondering about Athena and Artemis because they were interesting to me. However, I seem to focusing mainly on goddesses rather than gods.... and it's not like I hate men or anything. It's just that many of the gods are as interesting and complex as the goddesses. I especially like Athena, Artemis, and Demeter, but mainly Artemis. By the way, it's cool that you're a twin nuri.

Is alright to focus on the gods differently. It took me awhile to really get into the goddesses. The gods just seemed so much ...more relateable. Artemis and Dionysos may both be gods of the wilds, but I prefer his ecstasy over Artemis's fierce independence. I appreciate both and honor both, but I relate better to Dionysos.  

maenad nuri
Captain

Artistic Genocide

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:32 am
Thanks nuri! heart

wow, now i don't feel so bad for being more connected to Pan, Hermes, and Artemis. xD

though, i have somemore questions.

For a quick...tribute?(not sure what other word would have worked.>_>') to the other gods, would lighting a white piller candle be appropriate? or even a small votive candle? and should i just deicate a shrine/altar to all the other gods to honour them all or would that just offend them?

Also, if you practice witchcraft, can a working altar be a part of a main altar? say, i wanted to use Artemis's Shrine as part of my working altar, would it work?

Also, i read on a few sites that Artemis is also considered the goddess of sorcery. would you know if this is true?

And what's your opinion on this? I'm not real sure of what to make of them. It seems to fit me perfectly, but i leery of places that request money. Have you come across them before?  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:53 am
I think I would like Artemis to be my focus. Should I also have Apollo as my focus, since he's Artemis's twin? What should I do, now that I have that established?  

Opalescent_violet_14

maenad nuri
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:42 am
Artistic Genocide
Thanks nuri! heart

wow, now i don't feel so bad for being more connected to Pan, Hermes, and Artemis. xD

though, i have somemore questions.

For a quick...tribute?(not sure what other word would have worked.>_>') to the other gods, would lighting a white piller candle be appropriate? or even a small votive candle? and should i just deicate a shrine/altar to all the other gods to honour them all or would that just offend them?

Wouldn't offend. There were historical shrines to all the gods, known and unknown.
That is one type of quick tribute I do, since I can't burn incense all that often.
Quote:

Also, if you practice witchcraft, can a working altar be a part of a main altar? say, i wanted to use Artemis's Shrine as part of my working altar, would it work?

Personally, I would keep them seperate. But YMMV.
Quote:

Also, i read on a few sites that Artemis is also considered the goddess of sorcery. would you know if this is true?

based on Theoi.com, I'd say false. More likely those sources are mixing Artemis and Hekate.
Quote:

And what's your opinion on this? I'm not real sure of what to make of them. It seems to fit me perfectly, but i leery of places that request money. Have you come across them before?

Yes. Hellenion is a good organization. I'm on some of their mailing lists. They are geared far more towards reconstruction, however, so if that's not where your interest lies, I'd hang on the outskirts. They are good and their calendar is top-notch.

I'm a member of Neokoroi myself.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:47 am
a n n i v i
I think I would like Artemis to be my focus. Should I also have Apollo as my focus, since he's Artemis's twin? What should I do, now that I have that established?

I do a lot more with Apollo than I have even done with Artemis. Remember him as usual, but if you connect more with one than the other that's okay.

And as such, it's also okay not to have a focus. I know a lot of Hellenics that don't, and it is a good thing for them.

I suggest reading. Get as much read as possible. We're the religion with homework.
For Artemis, I suggest the following newer books
Artemis: Virgin Goddess and Dancing in Moonlight  

maenad nuri
Captain

Chaos Blue

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:51 pm
Ahh,
Hey, Nuri. . .I've got another question that I was planning on asking a couple weeks ago, and I'm just getting around to it-

I'll be going to college next month, and it's going to be a private Catholic one. I'll be living in a dorm, so...Is there anything I need to be aware of before setting anything up in devotion to the gods? I mean, would it be an affront to them? (I already know YHVH's deal. But would/should that stop me?) How will I be able to manage this, if there is anything I can do?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:55 pm
Chaos Blue
Ahh,
Hey, Nuri. . .I've got another question that I was planning on asking a couple weeks ago, and I'm just getting around to it-

I'll be going to college next month, and it's going to be a private Catholic one. I'll be living in a dorm, so...Is there anything I need to be aware of before setting anything up in devotion to the gods? I mean, would it be an affront to them? (I already know YHVH's deal. But would/should that stop me?) How will I be able to manage this, if there is anything I can do?

I don't think you will have a problem. I'd keep your altar/shrine small, more for the sake of being in a dorm than anything else, and see if you can locate a walking path on or off campus. You might get more inspiration to leave offerings outside as well.

I'd play it by ear for the rest. Ask questions here, and see how things progress.

Why a catholic school? and what are you studying?  

maenad nuri
Captain

Chaos Blue

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:09 pm
Catholic, because...
Well, they're really the only ones that accepted me, and I honestly do not have a problem with going to private schools (I have prior experience, going to one for most of my childhood). I'll be studying French there. I only plan on staying there for my first year, though, after that I'll be transferring to a public university for animation or film production instead.

It's an odd situation I'm in. But I don't feel uneasy.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:43 am
Ah, nuri. Your a foutain of knowledge. Thanks for all the help you've given me! and for putting up with all the questions.xD

I do have some more, though. xDDD

1)Are there any online PDF books i could download that would be a great soufrce for this topic? Sad to say, my local Boarders and Barns&Nobel don't carry any books of this recommended reading list.

2)I'm also going to college in a month or so, and i was wondering about what i could do for offerings Because they don't allow us to burn candles or incense, and it's illegal for even unburn candles to be in the room.
-_-' Any suggestions?

3)Is it common to be guided by one God/dess to this path, yet your patron/matron is another? Assuming the Matron/Patron thing could be applied to this path?

Artistic Genocide

Chaos Blue

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:33 am
Hey, Art Gen, for number one, isn't it possible for you to ask about the recommended books at the helpdesk, then they will order it up to be sent to the store from a warehouse for you to pick up? I've done that many times, so you could try that. :] Just because they don't have it in stock doesn't mean they don't have it at all- ya never know!  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:01 am
One of the big things I offer is food -- olive oil, bites of a meal I make, hand made bread write poetry, even if it suks, do more involved rituals, learn to dance, or something pleasing to the gods in questions.

I don't know of any PDF books, but you've got access to an academic library soon, you may be able to find more, or at the very least Inter-Liberary loan. Most are available on amazon as well.
I found my copy of Greek Religion at Borders, so all is not lost, and most of my other purchases have been through Amazon.

With all the interest right now, I am also thinking of raffling off my first edition copy of Kharis. I don't need both, and either one is a good first step

I know many that follow deities in other pantheons. Keep them to their respective context and you will be just fine. smile Which god is it?  

maenad nuri
Captain

Opalescent_violet_14

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:01 pm
Well, I was wondering if an alter in the woods would be appropriate for Artemis and Apollo. Also, what would you suggest for offerings? Are there any "offerings to all"? Also, why are so many items on here (and the name gaia itself) Greek-based?  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:58 am
a n n i v i
Well, I was wondering if an alter in the woods would be appropriate for Artemis and Apollo. Also, what would you suggest for offerings? Are there any "offerings to all"?

For Artemis, that would work very well. Apollo is more "civilized". But I like the idea if you are doing it for both there too. He's a hunter too after all.

Basic offerings will work fine: candles, incense, honey, olive oil, spring water even. There's a good source here: http://www.winterscapes.com/sannion/compendium.htm
Quote:

Also, why are so many items on here (and the name gaia itself) Greek-based?

Because they want my money!  

maenad nuri
Captain

Alice Morbid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:06 am
Idk really where I might fit in. Like a category. Not something necessary, but I wondered if there's anything close to what I believe in or something close enough to what I believe.
I'm not really sure about the Gods I worship. But, I think that Gaea(gaia?) is probably the main focus to me. I feel that there could possibly be a death, life, and moon deity. But besides that, I think maybe not...
I believe that earth, wind, water, and fire are like the basis of everything, the driving force behind everything in the universe. Power to be utilized.
I believe in psychic things and magic spells.(mostly to do with healing and good fortune) I think that anything is possible to achieve with enough time, devotion, and passion. I think the pentagram (pentacle?) would be a great symbol in whatever I believe in. Being related to self and elements.
Peace with self and nature (kind of transcendental) is kind of the main idea.
I think that one should have total peace with self and always help others. Not put them first, nor put myself first... but. Like, try to make sure you can live happily without suffering from lack of necessities for others, but help where I can kind of thing.
I believe in reincarnation.
Kind of feminist.. I'm not really sure if a God would exist. Because I feel that females are the ones who: nurture, create life, sustain life, so forth. Idk about death though...
That's all I can really think of at the moment to put here. I hope it's the right place for all of this ><;; sorry if it isn't.
2 goddesses I like are Flora and Aphrodite. ^^; not much to do with anything I guess except one is to do with life.(i think)

But, is there any kind of group or anything that you could point me to that kind of fits with my beliefs? I would like to study similar beliefs to mine ^-^  
PFRC Mentoring Program

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff