Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Mentor Threads [Dedicated Mentoring here!]
Errol McGillivray (illust. & visual storytelling) - [hiatus] Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

La Pinkachu

Romantic Lover

9,950 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Beta Critic 0
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 4:05 pm
Okay I past this thread alot and just thought I would go ahead and ask. I would really like to be mentored by you. I really need help with the basics of anatomy.

If you need to contact me outside of gaia I have MSN Yahoo and AIM

MSN razz ikapancakes@hotmail.com
AIM razz ikapancakes
Yahoo: Jfrod852168

I am Also having trouble with the fowllowing:
CGing
Shading
Hands DX
Clothing
Hair

Here is my Gallery: http://xxxxpikachuxxxx.deviantart.com/gallery/
(Feel free to critic anything there accept my old crap. I might scrap those.)

Thank you so much for reading this and I hope you will acept me as your mentee.  
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 9:52 am
So because I've seen the way you critique, I want you to mentor me. But because the butt end of school is happening right now, I'm not going to be doing much drawing for about 2 weeks.

But basically, I've been itching all year to keep painting, I just haven't had the time.. And when I do paint, I don't like things to just be the way they are, I'm going to repaint and repaint until it's really good. And re-draw and re-draw. And I would really like your opinion on things, because a second opinion is good to have.  

.[ Cheesecube ].

Errol McGillivray
Captain

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 2:53 pm
All three of you are in. Just post your work when you have it and I'll make sure I check daily. I will most likely check in the evenings, but you will get the most of my time on weekends when I am not stressed from the office and have time to really relax and analyze. If it takes a day or two for me to respond, please be patient or just shoot me an email.  
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 2:55 pm
.[ Cheesecube ].
So because I've seen the way you critique, I want you to mentor me. But because the butt end of school is happening right now, I'm not going to be doing much drawing for about 2 weeks.

But basically, I've been itching all year to keep painting, I just haven't had the time.. And when I do paint, I don't like things to just be the way they are, I'm going to repaint and repaint until it's really good. And re-draw and re-draw. And I would really like your opinion on things, because a second opinion is good to have.
It's totally understandable. Just post whenever you're ready.  

Errol McGillivray
Captain

Errol McGillivray
Captain

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 2:59 pm
i-x-Pika-x-, just post the next piece you do and I'll go over it with you. Before you do though, consider taking a look at a skeleton and getting a feel for the main parts of it. Try doing a few pages of little skeleton guys doing different things. Anything that comes to mind.

Think of the skull, ribcage, pelvis, and where the hands and feet are. It may help to indicate the elbows and knees.

Anything at all that comes to mind. Just have fun with it. Remember though, no details.

User Image  
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 3:04 pm
neko_ruby, I think you're doing pretty well. When you do something next, post the image here and I'll go over it.

Guys, be sure that when you post them, you post them as asked and let me know the information along with it. I can't help you if I don't know what you're trying to do.  

Errol McGillivray
Captain

.[ Cheesecube ].

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 2:07 pm
Errol McGillivray
.[ Cheesecube ].

But the good news is I'm going to a fancy pants art school in august and will be painting like crazy. :]  
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 7:46 pm
Errol McGillivray
i-x-Pika-x-, just post the next piece you do and I'll go over it with you. Before you do though, consider taking a look at a skeleton and getting a feel for the main parts of it. Try doing a few pages of little skeleton guys doing different things. Anything that comes to mind.

Think of the skull, ribcage, pelvis, and where the hands and feet are. It may help to indicate the elbows and knees.

Anything at all that comes to mind. Just have fun with it. Remember though, no details.

User Image

Allright then thank you. Experimenting time >=3  

La Pinkachu

Romantic Lover

9,950 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Beta Critic 0

iJigyakuteki_Cookie

4,500 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 12:40 pm
Sorry for my absence. Uhm. Well, some more of my art can be found at

jadedjay.deviantart.com

I have mostly OCs there and such.
Dynamic poses are my weakness as well as drawing hands. I've been getting better slowly, although still not as well as I would like to be. CG coloring, I've found out my style, but line art using the pen tool on Photoshop is still a hassle for me. I'm really good with anatomy, I know where muscles and stuff goes and somewhat of how they stretch but sometimes I don't do well with foreshortening and all, hence the posing problems. On most of the sketches I have of people, they're mainly just character creations or an idea that just popped in my head, there isn't supposed to be anything SPECIFIC going on in them besides the girl with the sword. She's supposed to look like she's going to slash at someone. smile Enjoy. Plz tell me anything you think is in need of work.  
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 2:13 pm
.[ Cheesecube ].
Errol McGillivray
.[ Cheesecube ].

But the good news is I'm going to a fancy pants art school in august and will be painting like crazy. :]
That's great!  

Errol McGillivray
Captain

Errol McGillivray
Captain

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 2:15 pm
neko_ruby

jadedjay.deviantart.com

Dynamic poses are my weakness as well as drawing hands. I've been getting better slowly, although still not as well as I would like to be. CG coloring, I've found out my style, but line art using the pen tool on Photoshop is still a hassle for me. I'm really good with anatomy, I know where muscles and stuff goes and somewhat of how they stretch but sometimes I don't do well with foreshortening and all, hence the posing problems. On most of the sketches I have of people, they're mainly just character creations or an idea that just popped in my head, there isn't supposed to be anything SPECIFIC going on in them besides the girl with the sword. She's supposed to look like she's going to slash at someone. smile Enjoy. Plz tell me anything you think is in need of work.
Foreshortening get much more simple if you break the body down into it's basic shapes. I like to draw a cylinder and turn it in the angle I want. It's going to take quite a bit of practice, but it's not as scary as it seems before you start.  
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 7:21 pm
Errol McGillivray
neko_ruby

jadedjay.deviantart.com

Foreshortening get much more simple if you break the body down into it's basic shapes. I like to draw a cylinder and turn it in the angle I want. It's going to take quite a bit of practice, but it's not as scary as it seems before you start.

I'll try the cylinder thing. i usually use more of the basic shapes for mostly the upper part of a character's body. Uhm, just made me realize that I'm more interested in getting the upper body of people I draw no matter how the bottom comes out. Ugh. I need to pay more attention to those things.  

iJigyakuteki_Cookie

4,500 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100

Errol McGillivray
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:35 am
Use the most basic shapes, but use the 3d versions of them.

User Image

And you suddenly have instant perspective and your forms look full and alive.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:45 am
I'll continue to practice perspective and stuff and soon post some more pictures. Thank you. whee I had gotten a challenge by a friend a while back to help me out with hands and stuff. smile  

iJigyakuteki_Cookie

4,500 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100

Errol McGillivray
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:36 am
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

This and other resources are available in the tutorials and resource thread. Don't forget to look there for information too.  
Mentor Threads [Dedicated Mentoring here!]

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff