Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Errol's sketchbook [images added 5/2/11] Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Danaidae

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:28 am
Oh~ very nice. I particularly like the pose/angling of the head.

Though I'm pretty sure you could get away with it, the only thing I have to comment on is that I'm not quite able to see the direction of the light source. Is it supposed to be coming downwards toward the anterior part of her body or straight forward at her? [Does that make sense?]  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:28 pm
Honestly, it was supposed to come from the upper right (our right) and I didn't really carry through. If you have any suggestions on how to plot lighting, that would help. I can render light okay enough from life, but I'm nowhere near a point where I can plot it effectively.  

Errol McGillivray
Captain

Errol McGillivray
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:10 am
User Image

User Image

Still working on getting some depth with lighting.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:19 pm
8/16/08

So, anything that might trip me up later? Anatomy issues, proportion, perspective, layout?

User Image

Larger version here  

Errol McGillivray
Captain

Mogtoats

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:34 pm
Image's too busy and that much 'static'. The big mass of tentacles distract a lot, don't look natural enough. What's the focal point? Revising the composition would help, I think.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:59 am
Would it be possible to give examples of what is causing this or at least what is static in particular. Your critique is a bit vague.  

Errol McGillivray
Captain

Mogtoats

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:21 am
I'll do the best I can, but do not guarantee anything.

The bottom tentacles: stacking order isn't clear. There is no deformation due to contact with the ground or with each other. I can't see where each of the tentacles originated from or deduce how many there really are without counting the tips.

Head tentacles: Logically they would be less thick. Her head isn't big enough to support the big masses. The origins are problematic too, they are thinner than the rest of the tentacle, so logically it would fall off or break. Reducing the thickness would help with the 'the head is heavier than the feet and she's gonna fall' feel.

Then you might want to work on bringing up the focal point. Let's make it her face, as an example. One of the ways I can think is using some of the tentacles as leading lines and make them point towards her face.

Here's some information on composition. Maybe not all of them can be used, but at least you'll have some ideas?  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:18 am
I don't - personally - find the bottom tentacles to be too busy, difficult to discern, or anything. I dig them. The top ones are probably a bit too think for any sort of Super Tentacle Monster Realism but I don't see a lot of merit in .. bothering to make the most realistic tentacle medusa woman possible. S'just me, maybe.

Anyway. What I see that may need attending is the .. face, actually. Her mouth looks a little too wide and her right (our left) eye seems to be squinting or kind of sleepy looking (or like she just got punched).

clocktock

Errol McGillivray
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:51 am
User Image
User Image
User Image  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:52 am
9/17/08

Studies

User Image
User Image

Art League

User Image  

Errol McGillivray
Captain

Anpu the black Seraph

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:02 am
I think the medusa sketch is absolutely awesome. I can understand some of the points martian made though. I see what he means about not being able to follow the base tentacles to their origin. That and the tentacles that make up the hair do seem to have an unrealistically thin source but then again it goes back to how much you really care about realism. I personally think the hair looks fine like that. The rest seems cool. I figured the eyes were just a part of her expression. So I think thats all you need to worry about.

I loved what you did with the three girls before the medusa as well, you have a great style.

Cool studies. I seriously need to buckle down myself and work on the basics. It'd really help if I could get to school or take some classes for structure.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:26 am
Errol McGillivray
User Image

I feel that the character is somewhat stiff, due to the lines converging downwards and her arms are too straight.

I applaud the intense shading though, very vividly done that accentuates the bones on her back. smile  

Elixias

Errol McGillivray
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:46 am
Elixias, it's a figure study, not a character. The point was to study the skeletal structure of the spine and shoulder blades. The model was standing just so.

Anpu, I got a nice redline from Tir as well. I see what you guys where saying about the base. I'll be careful not to switch views in the middle of a drawing again.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:06 am
Errol McGillivray
Elixias, it's a figure study, not a character. The point was to study the skeletal structure of the spine and shoulder blades. The model was standing just so.

Eh sorry for using the wrong word.. (character, figure study).
Well, just personally (no offense I hope), humans are much more curvier, but if the model appears the way as it is (well, she may be lacking quite some body mass)...

The right side of the figure is somewhat shorter than the left, so perhaps that is why the figure looked slightly thin.

Like I said, I really really like the intensity of the shading .

(Sorry, just trying to give feedback like the Rules suggested, critique+good points about a picture. I'll keep mum if you like...)  

Elixias

Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces