Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
The Runic Corner Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Taliah

Lonely Phantom

8,450 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Forum Junior 100
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:42 am
Deoridhe

The Nors are properly called: That Which has Been (Urdhr), That Which Is Becoming (Verhandhi) and That Which Should Become (Skold). The word "Should" is important for understanding Skold and wyrd and orlog. Wyrd is driven by the weight of that which has been, which influences that which is becoming in order to form that which should become. It is open to influence. Some things are too heavily rooted in the past to destroy or avert, however, which is where some of the mitigating actions of Vitkar (people who perform magic using the runes) step in.

Oh my. The little light bulb went off when I read this. Thank you, that makes much more sense now.  
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 3:09 pm
Has anyone by chance had any experience with The Rune Gild?

Any input, opinions?  

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 12:12 pm
Anyone have an opinion on the somewhat extravagant lengths some Asatru will go to in order to avoid having an "accidental Isa" in their bind runes?  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:40 am
Taliah
Deoridhe

The Nors are properly called: That Which has Been (Urdhr), That Which Is Becoming (Verhandhi) and That Which Should Become (Skold). The word "Should" is important for understanding Skold and wyrd and orlog. Wyrd is driven by the weight of that which has been, which influences that which is becoming in order to form that which should become. It is open to influence. Some things are too heavily rooted in the past to destroy or avert, however, which is where some of the mitigating actions of Vitkar (people who perform magic using the runes) step in.

Oh my. The little light bulb went off when I read this. Thank you, that makes much more sense now.

Heilsan,

Here's something more to play with smile

Wyrd and the Norns

Ver thu heil  

Ulfrikr inn Hrafn

Friendly Gaian

4,900 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200

Ulfrikr inn Hrafn

Friendly Gaian

4,900 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:41 am
Violet Song jat Shariff

Any input, opinions?

Heilsan,

Did stuff with them around 10 years ago. Wasn't really that impressed. Went on to do my own thing... I tend to be culturally focussed, rather than Magickally...

Ver thu heil  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:42 am
TeaDidikai
Anyone have an opinion on the somewhat extravagant lengths some Asatru will go to in order to avoid having an "accidental Isa" in their bind runes?

Every 'bind-rune' has Isa in it... just as every Rune does, otherwise, they'd fall apart wink

Ver thu heil  

Ulfrikr inn Hrafn

Friendly Gaian

4,900 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:54 pm
Ulfrikr inn Hrafn
Violet Song jat Shariff

Any input, opinions?

Heilsan,

Did stuff with them around 10 years ago. Wasn't really that impressed. Went on to do my own thing... I tend to be culturally focussed, rather than Magickally...

Ver thu heil

OMG ULFRIKR!!!!!
*glomp*

Thanks smile  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:36 pm
Ulfrikr inn Hrafn
TeaDidikai

Every 'bind-rune' has Isa in it... just as every Rune does, otherwise, they'd fall apart wink

Ver thu heil
The take of one of the local ghodi's is that if you cap the end with say... a crossbar to make a Thors Hammer, it isn't Isa, since Isa is characterized by the straight |, and that other runes aren't merely a collection of |'s rearranged since they each contain their own mystery.  

TeaDidikai

Ulfrikr inn Hrafn

Friendly Gaian

4,900 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:48 pm
TeaDidikai
Ulfrikr inn Hrafn
TeaDidikai

Ver thu heil
The take of one of the local ghodi's is that if you cap the end with say... a crossbar to make a Thors Hammer, it isn't Isa, since Isa is characterized by the straight |, and that other runes aren't merely a collection of |'s rearranged since they each contain their own mystery.

Really. Hmmm. Not to be too cutting, but that's crap. No offence to the local Goði, but Isa is the seed of life. It we look at the seed form of Hagalaz, it's made up of a nexus of Isa. The original proto-being was licked out of ice, so was already present within the context of our ancestral metaphors.

It's a bit like Terry Pratchetts take on Darkness smile Light is always astonished to find that darkness got there first. Ice came first. The action of Muspellheim on the ice led to the formation of the middle garðr, but it seems from what I've read to date over the years, that ice contains the seeds of life. Ginnungagap may be the place of action, but it is Niflheim which seems to be the container for that potential. Hence Isa is the potential in every Rune, and echoes the very first principle of formation within the ancestral worldview.

Isa is interesting in that it stands alone as the only Rune with one Isa, ergo it is the primal force and pure form. All other Runes, whilst made up of Isa, are applications and derivations, in other words, just as Muspellheim acted on Niflheim, the change in form of the Isa Runes, and the use of more than just one creates another formation, and brings that Rune to life, brought out of the Ice smile

Ver thu heil  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:20 am
Ulfrikr inn Hrafn
TeaDidikai
Ulfrikr inn Hrafn
TeaDidikai

Ver thu heil

Really. Hmmm. Not to be too cutting, but that's crap. No offence to the local Goði, but Isa is the seed of life. It we look at the seed form of Hagalaz, it's made up of a nexus of Isa. The original proto-being was licked out of ice, so was already present within the context of our ancestral metaphors.

It's a bit like Terry Pratchetts take on Darkness smile Light is always astonished to find that darkness got there first. Ice came first. The action of Muspellheim on the ice led to the formation of the middle garðr, but it seems from what I've read to date over the years, that ice contains the seeds of life. Ginnungagap may be the place of action, but it is Niflheim which seems to be the container for that potential. Hence Isa is the potential in every Rune, and echoes the very first principle of formation within the ancestral worldview.

Isa is interesting in that it stands alone as the only Rune with one Isa, ergo it is the primal force and pure form. All other Runes, whilst made up of Isa, are applications and derivations, in other words, just as Muspellheim acted on Niflheim, the change in form of the Isa Runes, and the use of more than just one creates another formation, and brings that Rune to life, brought out of the Ice smile

Ver thu heil
I like your take on it. At the same time, to suggest that merely because something came from a given source it remains that doesn't always apply.  

TeaDidikai

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:38 am
A question. I has one.

One of my friends had runes read for her this past weekend and the person who did it for her told her that the upside down runes in her reading were things that were hidden or not very clear to her. I had always understood that it doesn't matter if the runes are upside-down or not; what matters is what is face-up and what is face-down.

I'm not calling my friend silly or anything; rather I'm just questioning the methods used by her reader.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:12 pm
Violet Song jat Shariff
I had always understood that it doesn't matter if the runes are upside-down or not; what matters is what is face-up and what is face-down.
Look at it this way:
What does an upside down Kenaz, Isa, Inguz, Sowulo etc look like? How would you tell the difference?

This is largely a product of pop-paganism trying to shove the Elder Futhark into a nice Tarot Shaped Mold.  

TeaDidikai

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:20 pm
TeaDidikai
Violet Song jat Shariff
I had always understood that it doesn't matter if the runes are upside-down or not; what matters is what is face-up and what is face-down.
Look at it this way:
What does an upside down Kenaz, Isa, Inguz, Sowulo etc look like? How would you tell the difference?

This is largely a product of pop-paganism trying to shove the Elder Futhark into a nice Tarot Shaped Mold.

That's what I thought too. I think she got kind of mad at me when I kept asking her why/how one would want to read runes as "reversed" sweatdrop .  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:23 pm
Violet Song jat Shariff

That's what I thought too. I think she got kind of mad at me when I kept asking her why/how one would want to read runes as "reversed" sweatdrop .
Why is pretty simple: Using modern methods and making the Mysteries synonymous with concepts you are already familiar with is easier than having to construct an understanding from the ground up.

How varies.

Could mark the stones with a notch to distinguish the top from the bottom on the runes that mirror along the positive and negative axis.  

TeaDidikai

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:42 pm
Violet Song jat Shariff

Any input, opinions?

I have no idea which you're talking about. ^.^

TeaDidikai

Isa is all but inevitable.

I consider this philosophically significant. Almost all changes require a degree of ...immobility. Of stasis.

Violet Song jat Shariff
A question. I has one.

One of my friends had runes read for her this past weekend and the person who did it for her told her that the upside down runes in her reading were things that were hidden or not very clear to her. I had always understood that it doesn't matter if the runes are upside-down or not; what matters is what is face-up and what is face-down.

I'm not calling my friend silly or anything; rather I'm just questioning the methods used by her reader.

Yeah, largely an attempt to Tarotize runes.

I do free-casting, though (pure UPG, no historical precedent) and I do pay attention to what runes "point at", particularly Tiwaz.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff