Welcome to Gaia! ::

+ The Official 'Got Goth?' Guild +

Back to Guilds

Tags: goth, subculture, alternative 

Reply Extended Discussion
What do your parents think? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 18 19 20 21 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

lurichan
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 9:18 pm
oxLolitaxo
My parents are missionaries... that means we are constantly visiting churches in hope of getting offerings. And that means that they are very strict with the way I dress and act. Theyautomatically associate 'goth' with satanism and what not. When really there are plenty of Christian goths. They are quite superficial and it drives me bonkers. Yes. Bonkers.

It's most likely because most people who tend towards gothic things also tend to question things, which is anthma to the church because you are supposed to believe every single word without question. -_-*

I've actually heard of someone (back when I was in high school) who was asking her parishoner a few questions, just in curiosity really, and he said that she was being fed lies by the devil or some nonsense. mad *Sigh*

Anyways...... Sorry to hear that your parents are so strick. I would say you could tell them that most goths aren't satanists, but pagans, but I'm pretty sure that would still wig them out. ^^*  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:25 pm
Pagan is the term they usually use to describe rowdy youths. Hehehe. >.< Well, supposedly I am allowed to question my faith, but I've found that if I propose a question that sounds negative in any way, it's more like blasphemy than healthy curiosity.  

TanorexicAlbino

Isobel Bellamy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:06 pm
Just bring up:

Cane and Abel, if they were brothers and the sons of Adam and Eve what did they do? have children with their mother or with each other? (that earned a smack).

Or if in christianity you have to "do unto others as you would have the them do unto you" etc. does that mean pagans are allowed to burn christians?  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:16 pm
Hehe. Well, actually, I believe that Eve has many children, and then Caine and/or Abel slept with their sisters. It's interesting... for years marrying family members was perfectly acceptable. When did it become a sin?
The burning Christians argument wouldn't be all that fair... if pagans were able to burn Christians for what they did years and years ago, then Africans could enslave Europeans, Indians could kick us off of their land...
It would be fair, yes, but anymore it just doesn't seem reasonable.
If a theological question is proposed that is too difficult, my folks get off by saying, "Have faith." Those two words have been used to many times...
*Goes bonkers*  

TanorexicAlbino

Darkside of the Moon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:21 pm
My parents know and don't care at all i can be out at 5 in the mourning and not get yelled at at all so yea i got it easy over here  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:23 pm
black rider 656
My parents know and don't care at all i can be out at 5 in the mourning and not get yelled at at all so yea i got it easy over here
stare *too angry to be able to say anything*  

Isobel Bellamy

TanorexicAlbino

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:36 pm
Geeze. >.< N-n-no fair!
*Shakes fist in the air*
gonk  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:04 pm
Broken_Shadow_Child
my father doesn't know because he only sees me once every 10 months now.. and my mom is rarely home engh to notice... so no they don't know... hell... they don't even know my favorite color let alone what i would be steriotyped as or the crud i do on a regular basses....

At times I wish my parents were similar. I have the opposite extreme.

Ughhh  

O8O0xzN1AWSCrnkxN4v4qkhI

Darkside of the Moon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:09 pm
*laughs att all the people*  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:41 pm
Wow, this is turing into a fun discussion. I will add a little to it too for fun.

I have to agree first off that applying the christian priciple of "do unto others..." would be a rather counterproductive move.... besides watching the cycle smack them around three times over is much more fun anyway...^^* Sorry, I just had to interject that.
I think almost every major religion actually has a doctorine somewhere that states to be kind to others whether it be the wiccan reed about things coming back on you threefold, the old do unto others song and dance, or others there is almost always something about treating others kindly. After all most religions are designed to regulate your life, but I digress a bit much.

Parents don't like it very much when children question something overly much because of a few reasons. One of them is usually they don't have a good answer, and they feel vulnerable themselves having a child (in their eyes) examine something more deeply than themselves, and to not have the answer. I do have to agree that the little standard pat answer of "have faith" is a bit on the redundant and counterproductive side really. If someone doesn't examine what they believe and come to terms with it, then they aren't really going to believe in it, and usually just go off on their own when they get out of the house anyways.

Believe also plays a key factor in a lot of things acording to my version of reality, but I think I'll wait a little longer yet to get into that particular topic in depth. However blind faith without any thought or reason is just being a sheep blindly following the shepards. Too many people have been killed or butchered because they could no longer think for themselves, because they simply let others tell them what to do. It's a sad part of reality, but it's a part I refused to participate in.
My grandmothers still don't know....most of my extended family is in the dark really. The only family memembers that know are my parents....but at least they know that I don't believe in harming others.

I lost my thought line...^^* Sorry if I got a touch rambly.  

lurichan
Vice Captain

themagikat

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:19 am
lurichan
oxLolitaxo
My parents are missionaries... that means we are constantly visiting churches in hope of getting offerings. And that means that they are very strict with the way I dress and act. Theyautomatically associate 'goth' with satanism and what not. When really there are plenty of Christian goths. They are quite superficial and it drives me bonkers. Yes. Bonkers.

It's most likely because most people who tend towards gothic things also tend to question things, which is anthma to the church because you are supposed to believe every single word without question. -_-*

I've actually heard of someone (back when I was in high school) who was asking her parishoner a few questions, just in curiosity really, and he said that she was being fed lies by the devil or some nonsense. mad *Sigh*

Anyways...... Sorry to hear that your parents are so strick. I would say you could tell them that most goths aren't satanists, but pagans, but I'm pretty sure that would still wig them out. ^^*

i actually afe a few close friends who are priests, lol. they want me to e xtain but they dont let that get between our friendship, and im always asking questions. they dont mind.

oxlolitaxo
Pagan is the term they usually use to describe rowdy youths

where are you from? pagan simply means not being shristian, jew, or muslum...  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:06 am
themagikat
lurichan
oxLolitaxo

i actually afe a few close friends who are priests, lol. they want me to e xtain but they dont let that get between our friendship, and im always asking questions. they dont mind.

oxlolitaxo
Pagan is the term they usually use to describe rowdy youths

where are you from? pagan simply means not being shristian, jew, or muslum...

Well, if we are going by the original defintion of pagan and heathen then it was just somone who practiced earth based relgions. The christians just took the word and turned it into a slurr. -_-*  

lurichan
Vice Captain

themagikat

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:26 pm
bah. modern definitions...

although it is funny that before xtianity, fire was seen as good (and not as in hell) and water was evil. i like it that way better.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:47 pm
i told my parents and now they hate me, so i basically live of and on with different friends, ilove the way i am, and even if my parents and entire family hate me because of it i still wont change my ways!  

biteme_imafreak

4,000 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200

warpedXmind

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:22 pm
me mummy loves me but thinks im a little nut...............like acorns and almonds  
Extended Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 18 19 20 21 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff